Pearl and Ash
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pearl and Ash
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pearlandash.com/
- Phone: 2128372370
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Kuo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Pearl and Ash
Pearl & Ash was conceived at the intersection of luxury and simplicity. Our intention is to make the finest quality of food accessible to the masses without sacrificing integrity - while embracing the social and casual satisfaction of a communal setting. Our small plates are designed for sharing and we look forward to serving you and your friends a great selection of drinks and delicious dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pearl and Ash reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (111)notable wine list (89)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (35)special occasion (32)vibrant bar scene (30)romantic (23)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good food - service mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The food was delicious although a bit pricy for the size of the dishes but the service was extremely lacking gives the type of place. Our waitress took our order and then only came back when we were ready for the check. We had an 8:30 reservation but we're seated after 9. Food was good but dishes were a bit too small - not 100% sure we would go back any time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great food...sharing plates...and great cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for small groups tooOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2014This is a good place for a few drinks and small plates sharing. Would have liked to have some hard liquor cocktails, but the ones they had were quite deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops!BillzDined on 10/5/2014Small plates like no other. Fabulous wine list too. The menu is amazing.Special Features:
- Great place!SarafdaDined on 10/4/2014In our trip to NYC we tried to know places to have a nice dinner. I believe peal and ash should be a must go! The ambiance the food (small plates but you should know that this kind of places do this) real impressive wine list! We loved everything we ordered and had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice ExperiencePacoDined on 10/2/2014I went to Pearl & Ash on a thursday night. The place was crowded but not too overcrowded. I sat at the bar while i was waiting for my partner. The young bartender was nice and responsive. So I try some of their specialities, I was charmed by the cocktails proposed and the taste. After few drinks we were sat by a lovely hostess that took care of us. The way the restaurant is set up is that everything comes in small dishes so usually for a night you will probably have to take six dishes at least to be full but the quality and taste of each one of them is amazing!!! For the quality of the food proposed the price isnt too bad. I would recommend this place if you are looking for a dinner with your partner or small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The food is good (Venison recommended) and is really enjoyable to share. The menu format isn't traditional but again, its fun. There is'nt a full bar, they have a cocktail list made with fortified wines but if you're looking for liquor look elsewhere. If you're looking for wine, the list is really well thought out and the wine staff is very helpful and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- very nice foodincredibleDined on 9/29/2014Food was great. Highlight for the meatballs with bonito flakes and the amazing Potatoes with porcini mayo.Special Features:
- Pearl & Ash - What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/29/2014We dined at Pearl & Ash on a Monday evening. It is truly a neighborhood gem. There isn't a lot of signage, just a simple P&A on the door. The tapas choices were categorized appropriately, with interesting combinations. The sommelier was knowledgeable, helpful and great to work with. The wait staff was very friendly. The food was great!Special Features:
- CBT1668534106Dined on 9/27/2014An overall wonderful experience But, the wine selection is not very good! The food (small portions) -- very very creative and delicious! Share everything! The desserts were just Okay. We didn't have the cheese platter but it was highly recommended by friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceanvasquDined on 9/26/2014The only reason why I am taking off 1 star is because the food comes out too quickly. My friend and I were there on Friday for a 6.15 reservation. at 7.20 we were already out the door. The first plates arrived about 5 minutes after we ordered.Special Features:
- Great serviceHuntingtonDined on 9/22/2014It was our first time to restaurant. We enjoyed our evening and all the reccomendations the server made for us.Special Features:
- Literally, small platesGourmetmomVIPDined on 9/20/2014While the food is exceptional and creative, it takes a wad of cash to dine here. $100 per person, including a glass of wine and tax, and we still left feeling a little hungry. Enjoyed everything we ate, just wish the portions were a little larger. This is taking small plates to an extreme.Special Features:
- Great vibeHeilsDined on 9/19/2014Had a lovely experience - really good and friendly service. Food great and an amazing wine list. Really cool fit out and vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but misguided ambiencerehellmanDined on 9/14/2014If you like arguing with the maitre d' to be seated at your table when they insist on the bar in a half empty restaurant, and you enjoy ear splitting music competing with great food, this is your place. Most galling were the inferior wines by the glass in a place with a wine reputation. They should be embarrassed at the thin, acidic St Emilion they featured.
- tasty small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014But skip the dessert. Not as impressive. Service was great until drinks went empty and our first choice of wine was unavailable. I think our small table might have suffered due to a few large ones. Also, our server recommended 9 dishes. We were satisfied with 5 plus one dessert. I say order a few and hang onto the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was just terrible and overpriced. I don't know how are they still in business. Plates are TINY!!! and the food is not even tasty. Incredible...
- Great food and serviceDave83Dined on 9/3/2014Really nice place with brilliant service and grrreeat food. Especially The duck and The salmon entre. Music was good but a bit loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pearl and AshrrpinoDined on 8/31/2014I went with a group of four and we each ordered three dishes to share. The service was fine, but the waitstaff did nothing above and beyond. The sommelier was helpful in guiding us to a bottle within our budget. The only course I didn't like was the new dessert donuts. They were very dense and the flavors didn't meld well... Sriracha, popcorn, and berry.Special Features:
- Great meal & wine!BanannieNYCDined on 8/30/2014Took my friend for her b'day; we're both foodie/Wineaux. Enjoyed decor & bopping along to 80s soundtrack, servers attentive and professional, amazing wine list though wish there were more by-the-glass and half-bt options. Small plates food was good to share, loved the lemongrass cod and venison. I'd definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food here is very inventive and they use weird combinations, but it all worked and everything came out delicious. It's all in small-plates style, so it's a great place to go to share with others. They kind of cram a lot of tables close together so it's not super romantic, but definitely trendy and fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014feed me. small plates gone wrong. its good, its pretty, its just not really dinner. wine list is fantastic just wish i could have more BTG options. BEST music ever.
- fun spot - good food great winePN117Dined on 8/21/2014we had one serious complaint-some of the dishes were extremely salty! We even returned one dish. The restaurant deducted those from our bill. Now that is class! Will definitely be going back. Our friends visiting from London loved the restaurant, the vibe, the wine selection and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the winemadsbjergVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is ok but the wine list is spectacular. Prices are retail plus 30%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY EaterDLTMDined on 8/20/2014Service was pleasant but felt a little rushed, plates were cleared for the next course before we had finished the plates in front of us. This was even after I specified to the water that I wanted our meal to be spaced out. Food was overall good but a few dishes were over seasoned to the point of wanting to send them back to the kitchen. The space itself is nice and it has a fantastic wine list. Go for great wine and eat decent food when you are there.Special Features:
- Mix It UpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Chose from a menu of small dishes in categories like "raw" or "sugar" and trust the chef to decide which ones work best together. Then enjoy your meal as the dishes come out 2 by 2. This creates the opportunity for surprises since the mix of ingredients, flavors and textures is a joint project of diner and chef. The cocktails are also non-standard concoctions, in a very good way and the restaurant has a really large, well curated, and expensive wine list. Thus was my second visit and I look forward to my third.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Great food and service. I would highly recommend Pearl and Ash to anyone.Special Features:
- Deafening dinnerQuietbelowVIPDined on 8/9/2014At a Saturday 9 pm dinner, the food was really superb, the service was outstanding and the sommelier was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. All of these wonderful things were ruined by a relentless, bass heavy playlist of thudding '80s hits taken straight out of a college frat party. It's not even that the songs were bad--it's that my dinner partner and I couldn't hear each other talk from across the table. The bass was rattling our ribcages. When we asked our server if it would be possible to have the music lowered just a bit, she did her best and asked the manager. The manager ignored the request and kept the din at club levels.
- Great Wine listSparkyVIPDined on 8/9/2014A relatively small restaurant - one page menu, one toilet and 77 page wine list!! The menu is all small plates (and they mean SMALL) and the choices are rather limited. The steak and porgy were good while the rest (cod, fluke and trout) were just OK. I fail to understand why such a small restaurant thinks that it must have a huge wine inventory. I suggest replace the wine storage for 5000 bottles with another toilet. Most customers will be happier with smaller wine choices and shorter toilet waits.
- Great food; Great winemwneilDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed our meal. Interesting small plates with reasonable and exciting wine list. Service was efficient and engaging. No attitude. We really had fun and enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best wine list downtown.madsbjergVIPDined on 8/6/2014Extreme wine list. The prices are so low. almost like retail prices. I have no idea how they do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two of the best meals in nyc!TravelingfoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The bread, pork meatballs, and duck brought me to tears. I have tried 4 of the restaurants from the New York Times best new restaurants 2013 list and this is the best (along with sushi nakazawa but thats like comparing apples to oranges.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodWastrainedbymyGrandmaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Pearl and ash was a great place to dine. My g/f took me there for my birthday dinner and was pleasantly surprised at how well the food was prepared and served. Wouldn't change a thing about my night at the small plates/tapas restaurant. My g/f and I had 7 dishes and they were just the right size to keep us full but not needing to be rolled out of there. Good job Pearl & Ash good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014So excited and pleased with Pearl & Ash... Made a reservation on Open Table and read the reviews. Most were positive but was a little leary with some of the others. Well....did this restaurant make an impact on me!! Service was great...was greeted promptly and asked if we wanted to start with something sparkly...of course I do! Menu was described and plates were recommended. We ordered 7 plates and they were brought out in pairs. Everything was delicious, prepared perfectly. Loved the cod and the cauliflower was mouthwatering. I think my fave was the cheese platter. The dunbarton was paired with chocolate shavings...WOW...what a party in your mouth. We paired the cheese and dessert with a great reisling. I highly recommended Pearl & Ash!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and DelightfulSparkieDined on 7/26/2014Had the freshness and smell of my grandfathers garden. Octopus was amazing.Special Features:
- Must tryBuffett99VIPDined on 7/25/2014Meatballs and cauliflower are amazing. Great mixture of American tapas with Japanese influencesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/15/2014Wine choices and all dishes are, literally, extraordinary offering diversity, surprise and deep satisfaction. The service is extremely special - attentive and personal without being fussy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotattentiondinersVIPDined on 7/14/2014Standouts included the fluke incredibly complemented with almonds (and almond oil?), the bread (applewood smoked whole wheat with a chicken schmaltz and maple syrup compound butter sprinkled with oregano) and cauliflower with shiso peppers. The grape, banana, cashew dessert was accompanied by the finest vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted. All dishes were small plates recommended by a perfectly gracious and laid back server. The wine list is, in a word, epic. Interior design was the only, easily overlooked, letdown. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Cool decor awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014What funky decor! Every single dish we ordered was awesome! Great service. definitely come again...Special Features:
- Just greatTalulahVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food was amazing, service was nice and helpful but not overly attentive. We had an amazing time with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.