Parkside Seafood House - Oyster Bar
1902 Scott Street
Lafayette, IN 47904Neighborhood:
Lafayette / West Lafayette
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Parkside Seafood House - Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.parksideseafood.com/
- Phone: (765) 464-6531
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wes Brewer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Parkside Seafood House - Oyster Bar
The Parkside delicatessen building was built in 1896 with an addition a few years later. Eventually the deli and grocery became a café and soon a full service restaurant. Rumors and stories from the original owner Joe and other owner Tom include everything from the family living above and hidden alcohol gatherings during prohibition. After prohibition the Parkside was one of the first applications to the state for a beer and wine license. As years went by the Parkside developed a following for a favorite lunch spot and great steaks, prime rib and Tom’s catfish for dinner. Being located by Columbian park brought awareness and nostalgia to the restaurant and became a “Neighborhood Gem” or favorite spot for people wanting a cold beer or the elites of Lafayette that desired great food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Parkside Seafood House - Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Lafayette / West Lafayette ›
Parkside Seafood House - Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (45)notable wine list (41)romantic (27)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014This was the second time at the restaurant and it was even better than the first. Food was delicious, service was prompt and very good. We were able to meet and visit with the Chef for a bit. Very engaging and personable man. WE will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantAmazedDined on 11/13/2014It is fantastic to have a fine dining restaurant of this caliber in LAF!! I hope they can keep up this high level of service and food offerings. The oysters were fresh and there were 5-6 different varieties!! The halibut was very tasty, and the coleslaw on the side was divine - with brussel sprouts, a great addition!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ,Still like it but third time not as goodNorthernFoodieVIPDined on 11/13/2014I like the Lobster roll and atmosphere here but did nit enjoy this meal as much. server was nice and friendly but forgot bread. There was no way to put a bottle of wine and water on the table as too small. I don't like the coleslaw and wish thye had creamier, I also wish thye had more wish fish or sole or grilled scallops selections. We were told a beet salad was not available due to construction in kitchen that afternoon, Glad you are here but please make tweaks,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giving the competition a scareLafFoodieDined on 11/8/2014Easily the best restaurant in town since they opened. Decor was clean and cozy, seating comfortable with room around the tables. The waitstaff were very knowledgeable and efficient. The food...was superb, excellent, fantastic...I can't say enough. We had the Tuna, Grouper, and Halibut Cheeks. It obvious that there is an experienced chef in the kitchen. The shrimp cocktail, beet carpaccio, and clam chowder were sublime. I can't wait to try the seafood tower. A can't miss experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnLuv2dineDined on 11/4/2014It was simply wonderful! We love oysters and finally we have a place locally to enjoy them! The service was outstanding, and we can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood in Lafayette IndianadasDInerDined on 11/4/2014This new restaurant created in an old-standby fried Midwestern neighborhood place is great. Fresh white walls, mint green painted wooden chairs, nice wine selection displayed on the wall as you come in, friendly and excited staff. The halibut cheeks with a light sauce over slaw was outstanding, and the salmon with hollandaise fresh and cooked just right. We are not oyster fans, but that is one of their specialties. They have different varieties and they were being devoured by happy-looking customers at other tables. Rather expensive, but would definitely recommend it for a change from the usual fare in Lafayette. Every table full on a Tuesday evening.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood in IndianaKaren47906VIPDined on 11/1/2014I'm so happy we followed the recommendation to try Parkside. I am a seafood lover from the east coast and everything I had (shrimp cocktail and a cod entree) was very fresh and tasty. The presentation was wonderful and the atmosphere was similar to a small Eastern Shore seafood restaurant. I look forward to my return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findPatriciaDined on 10/31/2014My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The staff was professional and friendly and the food was outstanding - both in taste and presentation. The restaurant had a cozy ambiance, but I suspect that the noise level could get pretty loud when the place is full. Prices were on the high side but not exhorbitant. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner, will go backlove2eatDined on 10/28/2014We loved our dinner! The peel and eat shrimp and Cesar salad were both excellent. The best entree at the table was the cod. We shared two desserts - the key lime pie and the cookies. Save room to sample at the end of your meal - you won't be disappointed. The server got a little busy when the other tables in the restaurant started to fill, but she made up for it by running outside with our cell phone that had been accidentally left on the table before we drove away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood in Indiana???tnhlovesitDined on 10/25/2014Love, love, love this restaurant! Freshest seafood I've had since being on vacation in the islands. I'm not normally a oyster fan, but wow...this place turned me into a huge fan! I haven't had a bad meal yet! I love the rotating menu...always exciting to see the new offerings each week! I only wish I could have one of everything! The service is great as well...nothing can enhance a meal like a great server! The wine selection is very good as well, although, I admit I'm not an expert and they will help find a wine to fit your taste. Hope this place stays around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit thoughtsSetmanDined on 10/23/2014The food was very good across the board. The freshness of the seafood compared favorably with what we've had on the coasts. A small service snafu only slightly diminished the overall experience. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinneranniversaryDined on 10/23/2014I came with my husband to celebrate our anniversary. We liked the atmosphere and the staff very much. The appetizer, shrimp cocktail, was excellent. However, the clam chowder soup was just so and so. For dinner, we had salmon and lobster macaroni and cheese. They were ok but not great. Macaroni and cheese had a lot of delicious lobster in it but otherwise was fairly tasteless. The key lime pie my husband had as desert was not tangy enough but ok. However, the crème brule that I had was excellent. We will try again in a couple of months, hoping that we just chose a bad day to come.Special Features:
- Parkside seafoodJBarney87Dined on 10/21/2014The cajun red fish dish was excellent ---- served over rice with black eyed peas and topped with the house seafood gumbo! Very tasty Is a quite little find in old neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Real nice surpriseJimboDined on 10/18/2014Love the seafood and it was as good or better than some big city restaurants. Lobster mac and cheese was outstanding. The Key Lime pie was over the top superb. I make a great key lime pie but this one was as good or better than mine. Keep up the great work, it is a gem. We will be back and we will be bringing more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood in LafayetteDrTomDined on 10/18/2014After living in New England for 15 years I never planned to eat seafood in Indiana. However, the oysters and fish were unbelievably fresh. Preparations were top notch. Ambience was very comfortable. Hopefully the level of service will soon equal the fantastic quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hound/67Hound67Dined on 10/16/2014Excited to have something new in Lafayette to share with out of town guests and seafood lovers. I was a little disappointed in the shrimp cocktail in count,size and quality. This could be a signature item. Glad to see beef option. Overall great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprisejjpddsDined on 10/11/2014The location is odd but the food is excellent. Our family enjoyed the yummy fresh oysters. We had to order more for our now "hooked" teenage boys. The salmon soup was flavorful and the Caesar salads had proper anchovy dressing obviously prepared by the chef. Our entrées were delightfully presented(but not artsy-fartsy), and tasty(not over seasoned or weird). Serving sizes were just right. My wife and I shared a crisp Sauvignon blanc that complimented the superb meal. The homemade key lime pie was the perfect ending to our wonderful meal together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Seafood MealNorthernFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014We ate here Saturday night and had a very enjoyable meal. We shared the peel and eat shrimp for starter. My husband had salmon with mashed potatoes and enjoyed it. I had the lobster roll with the homemade chips and slaw which was tasty. We had Malbec wine that was delicious and shared a piece of key lime for dessert. The restaurant ambience is charming. The walls are newly painted with white bead board and the wine bottles line the walls to give a foodie feel. The tables are nicely spaced even though restaurant is not large; it was great to not feel crammed in. The waiter was fun. We are so glad to have a gourmet yet laid back seafood restaurant in town. Thank you for all your hard work. It shows and I am sure you will be a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurantFoodloverDined on 10/11/2014Their seafood is so fresh that it is hard to find in this area. The experience is ruined by luke warm soup and not so outstanding dessert.Special Features:
- Mmmmm oysters....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Oysters were such a fun treat - our server (Cody) was very knowledgeable about them, and directed us to try both a "milder" variety and a more "expert" variety. Both were so delicious and meaty. One of the best oyster experiences I've ever had. The main entrees were less exciting but still good. We tried the halibut cheeks and ahi tuna. I'd like to see the chef build more complexity into his flavors. All in all, I am so happy that a place like this is in Lafayette. In an area plaqued by chain restaurants, this is a refreshing gem. Let's keep up the support! Note: Be sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book Club at Parkside Seafooddjcross14Dined on 10/8/2014We were greeted and seated immediately upon entering the restaurant. The staff, white walls, and white table cloths gave a few clean and cheery welcome! Our server come very quickly to take our drinks order. She was very informative about the menu and was able to accommodate special requests. The food was delivered shortly after we ordered. There was an intensive wine selection. All our entrees were wonderful and lived up to our expectations. Dinner was filling and we did not order a dessert or salad. I would highly recommend this new establishment to anyone. All of us commented that we will be back!Special Features:
- KielbasaKiddDined on 10/8/2014First time there and it was great! Had the monk tail and lobster roll. Both were delicious. Enjoyed the shrimp coctail appetizer and the clam chowder. Would definitely recommend trying it!Special Features:
- reviewerDined on 10/7/2014Excellent oysters at a reasonable price, very good entrees, good selection of moderately priced wines and beers Great atmosphereSpecial Features:
- mothership0924Dined on 10/7/2014This was our third visit and first with a large group. The food was delicious at all visits. It was a bit harder for the kitchen to deal with the large group, but they are working on that. We will be back.Special Features:
- Get the fresh seafood tower!YumsterDined on 10/3/2014Our party of four wanted to try the fresh seafood tower and it was excellent. Every offering was fresh, tasty and substantial: no wimpy shrimps or anemic crab legs here! Two of us hadn't tried oysters in several decades because we were not sure we liked them. This changed our minds. The kettle chips were a nice starter and each of us had either the clam chowder or a caesar salad as a side. We finished our meal by indulging in the creamy, marvelous key lime pie and it was a perfect ending. It was a lively place and the acoustics were not ideal for someone who is hard of hearing, but we came to eat and that we did very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Simply Amazing.GTBuzzDined on 10/3/2014Lafayette has not had a high-end seafood restaurant since the Bluefin Bistro closed a year or so ago. This place is better - and the best food I have tasted in any restaurant in Lafayette in 15 years. Oysters were fresh and delicious. Appetizers were creative and flavorful. Lobster Mac was outstanding. Desserts to die for. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Make a reservation - not many tables and they fill up.Special Features:
- Seafood in Greater Lafayette, INFridaynghtelevenDined on 10/3/2014Parkside Seafood House is a breath of fresh air in Lafayette/West Lafayette. While the Oysters and entrées were not inexpensive the fresh choices were well with in cost. Portion sizes were excellent, some who is used to a 22oz steak will be disappointed. The new owner has done a nice job keeping the Parkside legacy with style.Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience!MunchyDined on 10/1/2014I have been in/around Lafayette all of my life. It is great to see something different open in a town FULL of chain restaraunts with non-descript menus. I tried 2 different types of oysters on the half shell, baby clam chowder, and the Lobster Mac & Cheese. Everything far exceeded my expectations! The staff were all super friendly and knowledgable regarding the 6 different oysters that were offered. I love that they have an ever-changing menu allowing patrons to try a wide variety. If you are expecting to get HIGH QUALITY food for fast food prices, this is not the place. You get what you pay for....Wonderful food, wonderful service, wonderful atmosphere and SUPER fresh, REAL seafood! I will definitey return to try different items!Special Features:
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014Great service. Great bread. Suspicious oysters. Clam chowder was disappointing-- mostly cream/broth and not enough vegetables, clams, or prosciutto. Creme brulee was cold, but the key lime pie was great.
- Really nice to see !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Wow , what a great experience !! So nice that lafayette FINALLY has a place that offers a seasonal menue that Is executed perfectly !! Go Mark Vaughn and team !! Can't wait to see what you guys do next !! We will be back to parkside over and over agin !! Love it !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment at Parkside4fordinnerDined on 9/27/2014First I would like to compliment the owners on a nice restoration job on an old Lafayette landmark. I ordered the salmon, it was delicious but it was a child's portion which was a sliver of salmon approximately 1 1/2" wide and 6" long with mashed potatoes. It was $23.00 and didn't come with a salad or anything else. The grouper was equally a small portion and chewy and so I suspect was overcooked. The soda arrived in a bottle and was a cute nostalgic effect but no free refills. I doubt that we will return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014The food and service was excellent but it can be a bit pricey. I will definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parkside seafoodJBarney87Dined on 9/25/2014Newly remodeled old neighborhood spot, looking good and tasting fun ---- oysters are fresh and a varied list to choose from too. rotating menu weekly - good wine list to choose from as wellSpecial Features:
- Nice Addition to Lafayette IndianaDBFoodieDined on 9/19/2014The ambiance was very nice with white linen tablecloths and napkins. Food was fresh tasting and well presented. Our Clam Chowder was very good and nicely present with a whole baby clam, nice touch. Scottish Salmon was perfectly cooked with crispy edges and flaky texture. Red Grouper was served on tasty cheesy grits and cooked to perfection. During the course of the meal the server was attentive but not in our face. Their warm bread, served in a small metal tray, was fantastic and the citrus butter even better. They offer a nice selection of wine and it was served well chilled. Food was excellent. My only concern is pricing. Our bill was $95.00 for 2 of us. No starch or vegetable offered with the meal was a bit of a let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SenatorDined on 9/19/2014Still working out the kinks, no plates or silverware when the bread came. Left off the side with the entre. Fish portion small for $25.00 Crembrulea was cold, a good one the top is warm. Men's bathroom is in a difficult spot.Special Features:
- Kev DaveKevDaveDined on 9/18/2014The food was very good but the service was not. Everything we requested, such as silverware for our food, took a long time to reach us. We finally resorted to eating our seafood tower with our fingers. We asked three different people for an extra chair because one of our party was being blinded by the sun, but never got one. We were told that the reason our food took so long to reach us was because the chef makes everyone's dish individually after you order it. Sounds good, but maybe this is too much for one chef to accomplish. They sent two people to our table to ask if we were the Hewitt party (for Open Table) and yet they still reported we hadn't shown up. They also charged the credit card of one of our party twice.Special Features:
- Dinner for sixluvseafoodDined on 9/13/2014Out of town family guests were visiting for the weekend. It was our first visit to the restaurant and we love seafood. The Oysters, Salmon and Grouper were a huge hit, along with the filet. Everything was fresh and quite pleasing to the pallet. The service was friendly and in a timely manner. I love to cottage feel. Only missing piece was a bar, however, not necessary. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!JoshDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful change of pace from the chain restaurants. Very pleasant staff and atmosphere. Food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastictboehleDined on 9/13/2014A perfect fit for Lafayette. A first class restaurant in a quiet neighborhood. Food was perfectly sized. Quality was superb. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceHellohelloDined on 9/13/2014Oysters were delicious... Salmon and Grouper were great. Lobster Mac and Cheese not what I expected. I was expecting cheesier Mac and Cheese... (maybe I should have read the menu closer?). Portion sizes seemed a bit small. Overall tho... it was a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.