Park Central Tavern
1640 Whitney Ave
Hamden, CT 06517Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Park Central Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.parkcentraltavern.com/
- Phone: (203) 287-8887
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schultz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer on-site, off-site, drop off and pick up catering, anything from a ten course truffle dinner to a whole roasted pig and lobster BBQ. We can also provide a well trained and professional staff, including servers, bartenders and an on-site chef for off site events.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer on-site, off-site, drop off and pick up catering, anything from a ten course truffle dinner to a whole roasted pig and lobster BBQ. We can also provide a professional staff, including servers, bartenders and an on-site chef for off site events.
- Private Party Contact: Polly Coassin 8558210820
- Cross Street: Park and Central Avenues
- Public Transit: bus: from new haven proper or the green, the northbound j-line from church st/whitney
from cheshire, the southbound j-line on whitney ave.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: 38 car private lot with two handicap spots. Street parking also available.
A word from Park Central Tavern
Park Central Tavern opened in Hamden in 2009, just minutes from downtown New Haven, as an independently owned and operated eatery offering Contemporary American tavern fare. The tavern serves as a place for casual weeknight or lively weekend meals. We offer excellent take-out and off-site catering, host special occasions of all types and sizes, serve produce from local organic sources whenever possible, and have spacious patio seating available. With the addition of Executive Chef Thomas Schultz, Park Central Tavern will quickly become your favorite restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Park Central Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (14)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (9)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- firsttimedinerDined on 11/15/2014We came for an early dinner before a concert at the Lyman center at SCSU. The food was excellent and service prompt and attentive. We would definitely return if we are in the New Haven area in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnermitchellVIPDined on 11/9/2014As usual, we took friends to this restaurant before a movie, and all four dinners and appetizers were spot on. Loved the stuffed shrimp appetizer and the brick chicken.Special Features:
- wonderful date nite with my wifetodezafrDined on 10/3/2014Eaten here before and had an all around two thumbs up evening - this was repeated the second time around. Will be returning again in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JazzydDined on 9/27/2014Second time I've been there and have enjoyed both meals.Special Features:
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014I was so disappointed. I had heard good things about Park Central. I found the menu to be very limited for dinner. However for lunch the menu was good. I feel that their wait staff was very inexperienced. The young people were polite enough but not especially friendly or knowledgable about the restaurant business. This would have to be the fault of management, training is a necessity that should be constantly updated. Oh well many other places to choose from.Special Features:
- Park TavernWillDined on 9/24/2014This was our 2nd trip. We bring our 85 year old mother out of her senior center home, and have lunch with her. To date, the food will not disappoint but hasn't impressed us. As for the service, it is considerate and cheerful. Its a large facility and my thinking is that it must have a thriving dinner / bar crowd, and with the 2 rooms for gatherings, a busy special occasions business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findTashaDined on 9/20/2014I very much enjoyed this restaurant. The lighting was perfect whisk gave it a great ambiance. It's also a very cozy placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingerinseileDined on 9/20/2014This is our 5th trip to this restaurant during Hamden Restaurant Week. The selections have noticeably declined in selection, portion size and quality. Dessert was brought to our table and it was 4 small cubes of a dry, tasteless bread pudding on a wooden board. Our table of 4 were very disappointed, especially since we had notified the Park Central Tavern that we would be celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary for one couple and an 82 birthday for another person. (Note - I mentioned this both on my Open Table reservation and to the Hostess prior to seating). No acknowledgement was made to our table of either of these momentous occasions. Very disappointing. I informed the manager as we left and all he could say was, "I'm sorry."
- Deeeeeeelish!MsMunchalotDined on 9/14/2014Amazing food! Great service! Dog friendly outdoor seating outside of New Haven! Hidden gem! Love love love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Experience!TriciaDDined on 8/30/2014We tried this based on an Open Table suggestion and we had a very nice experience. The building is beautiful and interesting and has a lot of character. The ambiance in the restaurant is welcoming, relaxing and high end without being stuffy. There is also a fairly large and nice outdoor dining area, although we ate indoors. We ordered three completely different meals and all of us enjoyed them. Prices were very reasonable for the quality. Nice service too. What's not to like? We'll be back!Special Features:
- It was just okrestinaVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food wasn't great. Our service was really good.Special Features:
- Great brunchnavymomDined on 8/17/2014Have been coming here with the family for years. They have always treated us well.Special Features:
- empty late nightneighborhoodDined on 8/16/2014restaurant was fine but late outdoor seating would have been nice. food good but not incredibleSpecial Features:
- cousins5Dined on 8/13/2014Very good choice for a meeting of cousins who haven't seen each other in awhile. I love the hamburgers and salads. I go to Park Central often for a meeting of family. We all enjoy it.Special Features:
- An enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The staff was excellent and knowledgeable. Our steaks were cooked just the way we requested and the wine recommendation fit the meal perfectly. We'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Park Central Tavern reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We were the only occupied table in the room. Waiter twice forgot to bring a side of ice for my wife's drink. Took a while before he came back to ask about another round of drinks. Took a while to get the check. BUT, we still love it there and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and just plain good!JanJanDined on 7/16/2014Found this place by accident-- so glad I did! The warm bread with truffle butter was amazing as was my wedge salad and my daughter's shrimp cocktail. My daughters entree-- a lobster roll-- and my sliced skirt steak with some kind of amazing sauce was phenomenal! Service was exceptional, prices were decent, and we had a great time besides! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food selectionJaneVIPDined on 7/9/2014The burata appetizer was excellent and the burgers are always good. The ambience is pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well managed.AlderVIPDined on 6/26/2014Weekday lunch is not full, but the service, food quality and ambiance are the quality of a first class midtown Manhattan lunch. I have never witnessed a manager stay so focused on every detail of food service with equanimity and clarity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place for a dinnergreatfindDined on 6/21/2014My boyfriend and I just stopped to grab food we were not dressed up and felt we stood out a little bit. the place was really cold inside so bring a sweater. the food was awesome! great place for a romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and attentive serviceFathersDayFeastDined on 6/15/2014Lots of interesting things to eat. Everyone in our group enjoyed their meal. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014We came for a celebratory dinner and they helped out with every request made. We had champagne waiting when we got there. They catered to specific dietary needs, the food was delicious, the ambiance was nice but I wish we sat outside. I highly recommend the truffle risotto. YUM!!!!!!!!! The servers were very professional, and polite, we never felt rushed, and even was timed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/3/2014We were a group of 8 and when we arrived the restaurant was fairly empty because we had a reservation on the early side. The service was sub-par which we found surprising because we all had heard great things about this restaurant. The food was good overall but dessert seemed to be the highlight.
- Always very goodKennyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Perhaps my 5th time here. Reliably great food and service. Have always sat in the bar area. It's very lively and more to my liking compared to the almost-too-quiet dining rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid EateryPmuzDined on 5/22/2014If the scoring allowed, I would rate this a 3.5 overall. All the dishes were good, some were very good. The desserts were special, the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014Park Central Tavern was a really great find. I went for a special occasion and was very satisfied. The food was great and well worth the money. The servers were very attentive. There is outdoor dining too, but it wasn't warm enough to eat outside. I highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Graduation BrunchKayJayDined on 5/18/2014Finely prepared food, varied menu, and attentive service made for a wonderful graduation brunch. We were expecting a dinner menu but were all pleased with the brunch menu. Noisy enough to comfortably talk at your table. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceFoodieDined on 5/11/2014Mother'd Day dinner for 5 and I'd never been here before. The food was very good except for my father in law's sirloin, which was a bit tough and very salty. He had already eaten half of it because he didn't want to complain but after he made a comment we tried it and agreed. We mentioned it to the waiter. He was so nice about it - insisted on taking it back and had a new one made for him. The new steak was perfect. I have to admit the choices from the Mother's Day menu were dry so they must have been pre-cooked or something but the items from the regular menu were very good and I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't offer promotionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014I brought a living social coupon and when I went to use it the server became agitated stating " I'm so glad we stopped this stupid promotion, I hate these coupons". Prior to his rude remarks our service was rushed and we never had the opportunity to order a second drink. The duck nachos and DLT were superb. Although we didn't care for the strawberry shortcake dessert. Don't offer promotions for your restaurant if you're going to push away potential new customers with them. I wouldn't return solely for this reason. Too bad because the food and drinks were good.
- Poor customer ServiceDiningreviewerDined on 5/10/2014Upon entering restaurant, two greeters were studying a computer screen, no one looked up. I said something must be interesting-Reply- we are very busy tonight-That's great, I am a customer - greet me and make me feel welcome! It went downhill from here. Sat at dirty bar to wait for table- after the "greeters" told me they could not seat us because we were early,which I knew, we planned on having drinks at bar first. Negative response instead of positive Waiter was haughty - absolutely no reason to be as all he did was rush around and provide excuses for poor service."they always blame the waiter, when it's the kitchen".Not my problem, again I am here to enjoy my dinner. Food served cold - taken back re-served. Bad night- won't be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantSuperDaveDined on 5/7/2014Park Central is a great place for a meal. Whether it's dinner or a visit to the bar for a bite to eat, all dishes are perfectly prepared and delicious. This time we had dinner, and the food is great. I only gave food 4 stars because it is a bit pricey, but you do get great food. If price is a concern, the bar menu is very good.Special Features:
- Good FoodAsh3Dined on 5/3/2014I went with my fiance and another couple Saturday night. The food was really good, the portions were huge and the service was great. We will go back soon and recommend this for other friends :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mitchellVIPDined on 4/29/2014…never disappointed…best salads, pressed chicken, burgers, wings or pasta. Can't go wrong with a quick dinner or a full 3 course meal...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef overdoneNHDiner65Dined on 4/29/2014We have eaten here several times and have always had a good experience, as we did this time as well. We ate in the dining room, not the bar, because it is much quieter. Three of us ordered the filet mignon ($28) and we all asked for medium rare. All three were overdone to at least a medium. If we hadn't been with friends, I would have sent it back. That being said, it was delicious. The fourth person ordered salmon which was outstanding. The service was very good also. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The Curse of the Solo DinerRevleeVIPDined on 4/20/2014I very much enjoy dining alone, but I've never quite gotten used to the way single diners are often treated. I was sentenced to the back corner-most table in the room. There were plenty of others available. I had to ask for a napkin & fork, then for the bread which appeared to be served to everyone else without asking. I also had to ask for pepper which was not on my table. The horseradish asked for when ordered, I had to ask for again. All in all, lunch was very tasty, the prime rib being somewhat less warm than I thought it should have been -- much like the lamb I had here at Christmas; though in both cases the meats were delicious. It's a pleasant place, I will give it another try. I'll come with an entourage next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodJeff91Dined on 4/19/2014Great service. Very romantic setting. The buttermilk fried chicken is delicious and I recommend any first timer to try that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Portions - Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014We were seated in one of the two dining rooms. The decor is beautiful and inviting. The food was delicious but the entree portions were on the small side. Our waiter seemed busy/preoccupied. We asked for a second round of drinks but they were never delivered. If I returned, it would probably only be to go to the bar side of the restaurant.Special Features:
- A Favorite Spot.RustyDined on 4/18/2014I am very impressed with Park Central. The menu is varied and has staples that you are glad to see when going out to eat: Duck Confit, Lobster Roll, Steak Frites, etc. All are outstanding and done with a flair that is foodie worthy. This is a favorite place of mine, and I will return. The atmosphere is very welcoming.Special Features:
- Suprise in Hamden!WolfewayDined on 4/12/2014Good atmosphere and decent menu. Nice cheese and beer selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience atMariaDined on 4/11/2014Another great experience at Park Central Tavern. Good food and wine shared with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.