1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (176)special occasion (176)romantic (104)notable wine list (79)hot spot (69)good for groups (44)neighborhood gem (37)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OutstandingDrewDined on 9/28/2014Great restaurant with outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds all expectations!TravellerDined on 9/28/2014Recommended by concierge at Mandarin Oriental. Food was consistently excellent and surprising. Distinctive flavors that went well together. Service was attentive and friendly without being cloying or artificial. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Interesting FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014Very creative kitchen. Interesting choices and beautifully prepared. Bit it is very pricey . The restaurant is large and has a casual feel so the prices seem almost out of sort. Also there was a lot of precious decoration on the food most of which was inedible but very attractive for the presentation of the dish. The Bronzino was excellent as was the burrata cheese app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food,beautiful restaurantPecavoVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. Beautiful space, well decorated, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great.JohnRVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nice place, food was good, not great. Was also way too warm in there, made for a very uncomfortable dining experience.
- best tartar everOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My wife said its the best meal she has ever had. Thanks for making our anniversary memorable! A classy place without the arrogance of a steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new additionpeacetoallVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent all around. Delicious food, good service and a very nice atmosphere. Highlights were the all the raw fish appetizers (great selection), Ricotta Gnocchetti, grilled bronzino and the best paella ever.Special Features:
- Nothing short of spectacular...brian6uVIPDined on 9/26/2014An incredible restaurant...one of the best I have ever experienced in Boston. Pricey, to be sure, but incredible. The great weakness: Desserts did not meet the same level of excellence as the meal. Skip the dessert and leave satiated.Special Features:
- Great Fish !ThomasVIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was outstanding , Mike was a knowledgeable professional re menu and wines . Oysters were terrific , followed by salmon tartar and salt encrusted branzini - vegetable selection with entree was also good . My wife ordered a steak since she is not a big seafood fan and enjoyed it . Will definitely return -- already like Mistral and Sorrelina so we are adding this one to the list !Special Features:
- happy I came for dinnerhungryhippoDined on 9/21/2014Amazing food complemented by friendly and gracious staff. It was quite the show to watch a very attractive woman who I imagine was the manager wield a large shiny blade as she cut the crust off of the whole fish table-side effortlessly all while maintaining the sweetest smile. A fem fatal. Definitely a place to return and recommend.Special Features:
- trufflesavocatVIPDined on 9/18/2014Sea bass crudo with truffles. Wow it was good again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceStavieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food, service, ambience all were outstanding. We highly recommend it to the most discriminating "foodie".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meallovelymealDined on 9/17/2014This is a restaurant is for a special occasion. It is expensive but not for what you get. It was a wonderful meal which we will remember. The food is beautifully prepared and delicious. Take advice from the staff on the specials and the menu. Even though there was no fresh mint tea on the menu they prepared it for me.Special Features:
- Fine DiningRichDined on 9/17/2014Fabulous food and service with an interesting and fun menu. Pricey, but worth it for an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A findNanaDined on 9/15/2014In Boston on a very last minute stop on our way to Maine. New place and no idea of where to eat well. Checked Open Table list and decided to try Ostra. Turned out to be a short walk from our hotel. Goofed with the reservation & were a week early. The hostess did not even blink and we were seated shortly. Oysters were great. Sea bass tartare was wonderful. Entrees were very satisfying. Branzino was perfectly cooked & sauced. Seafood paella was so full of seafood that I couldn't eat the rice portion even though it was exceptional. My husband was more than willing to take some of the seafood and most of the rice. Maine wild blueberry tart was served warm with sweet corn ice cream. Tender crust and great flavor combination.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and great serviceBoiBrommaDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I visited Boston on our East Coast trip. We stayed at the Revere just across the street. In browsing the neighborhood for a good dining experience that included lobster, we picked Ostra. Got a reservation for 05.30, a bit early, but acceptable. As both my wife and I are fans of "surf and turf", we asked the waiter if the chef could split a grilled lobster and a 10 oz filet. Sure enough he could. The waiter, i believe called Mike, recommended a Pinot Noir that blended perfectly with the filet and the lobster. We enjoyed food including dessert and coffee for over 2 hours. A truly memorable dinner and one of the best I have experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCc1515Dined on 9/12/2014It was my wife's birthday. They took great care of us and the food was phenomenal! I highly recommend Ostra. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food -- a bit overpricedEAsomozaDined on 9/12/2014I'm not a super big foodie, so it's hard to review this restaurant. The food was good and I had a fish I never had before (Branzino)...it was good and mild tasting and served well, but relatively small portion. My husband had the Halibut dish and that was amazing! I was very impressed with that. Big wine selection and it was on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifulmjb358Dined on 9/11/2014Everything was beautiful. The room, the food, the atmosphere, and also the people. Try the Serrano ham appetizer. Wonderful flavors. It's expensive, but there's lots of food, and high quality. The only negative was the size of the table for 4. We were always waiting for something to fall off. It's a little small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014From the ambience to the service to the food, a culinary experience and delight. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing from start to finishGoodFoodVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great time. Everyone enjoyed the evening. Amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!DougDined on 9/6/2014We met two friends to celebrate a 60th birthday. For the price, Ostra is not worth it. Way too noisy and chaotic for a reasonable conversation with friends. The food is a little above average -- many better restaurants in Boston. It is a place to make the "scene", not for fine dining.Special Features:
- marjoVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is very good at Ostra but also expensive. The service is as it should be for such a high end restaurant and the wine list is extensive. Then why not 5 stars? Probably the same reason it is not that crowded anymore - A bit too expensive ESPECIALLY the wine and drink prices. Come on now, $18 for a glass of Prosecco? $95 for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that retails for $30? Table next to us were questioning their cocktail price of $15. Again, I'll pay $24 if I want the Octopus and $48 if I want the Paella, because they are both special and hard for me to replicate at home. But, $150 for 2 cocktails and a bottle of Sauvignon? Don't think so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect serviceMashaDined on 9/6/2014Attentive but largely absent....just perfect! Delicious lobster appetizer. Lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific restaurant. Creative.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful food. Flavorful. Great service. Among Boston's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!AndyDined on 9/5/2014We had dinner last Friday night at Ostra and we did not regret our choice of choosing a fairly new restaurant. The service was impeccable and our server Brandon was friendly, knowledgeable and took the time to explain the menu/methods with details. The wine list is extensive but the food is the star. We share the Branzino (for two) baked in salt and it was so delicious. I loved my appetizer Smoked salmon tartar which came still "smoking" to the table. Would strongly recommend it.Special Features:
- top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Hosted a team dinner here - colleagues from across the country - who of course want seafood when visiting Boston. Wanted to do something a bit better than the usual legal seafoods trip. Had read about the great service so I tried it out immediately by asking for a different table than the one offered - request was accommodated without question. The rest of the experience was similarly excellent. The $60 Lobster was a tough sell, but absolutely worth it. Ostra made me look good among my work peers - thanks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- What you expect in fine diningmontanaDined on 9/2/2014Ostra hits on all cylinders. The atmosphere is great, the food well thought out and meticulously prepared and the service attentive without being intrusive The fish I had was superb and my son had the filet mignon which was perfect We found this place close to our hotel by accident. We will certainly go back on purposeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!dinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Found this through searching reviews here and we were very pleasantly surprised. Food, service, and wine were fabulous. The waiter helped steer us around the menu as the dishes are a unique and inventive. But, you won't be disappointing. Two of my barometers of a good chef are the delicacy with which fish dishes are prepared and heated (can't stand overcooked fish) and the flavor of something as simple as linguini with clams. Both were spectacular! Would definitely rank this as one of the best dining experiences we've had!Special Features:
- A real gemJandJDined on 8/29/2014This is a great place. It's convenient to get to and the valet parking is a blessing. We were early so we had a choice of tables and ours turned out to be a quiet one. Our waiter, Trevor, was terrific. He knew the menu and steered us right. We had oysters, a fabulous gnocci from the chef, an octopus salad that was the best we ever had, sea bream and paella that carried over to lunch the next day. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and could not have been happier. We are not going to wait for the next birthday to come back.Special Features:
- Best foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I had the best seafood ever the Spanish grilled octopus was amazing and for dinner I had the PaellaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Decent food. Oysters were fantastic. Hamachi tartare was quite nice. Great balance of flavor. Just enough heat from the jalapeño oil. Octopus first course was very tender. I had the branzino for my entree. Cooked just right. My wife had the halibut. It was definitely overcooked. OK flavor but the fish was too dry. Shared the blueberry tart with cream corn ice cream. We felt it wasn't sweet enough. Made me want to order the chocolate tart but just ended with an espresso.Special Features:
- fabulous fishexperienceddinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014Very pleased to try Ostra, relatively new in our area. Happening scene, clever decor and great food well served. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014My wife and I can't wait to go back - the drinks at the bar are inventive, unique and top-shelf. Every dish we had was spectacular - from the grilled Spanish octopus and tuna tartare to the Branzino, which was flawless, to the desserts. My wife had the rice brûlée and I was worried that her reaction was bordering 'When Harry Met Sally'. It was just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timepescatarianDined on 8/24/2014appetizers wete inventive and delicious. We had the octopus and the gnocci. Salmon was excellent. Branzino filet, fresh but not flavorful. Sea bream very good. Salt encrusted branzino would have been ordered if not for the 40min listed order time. Service was late to start. Several empty tables but they told us there was a 10 min wait. Dessrts wete off, not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDStarmVIPDined on 8/23/2014This a gem of a restaurant. Best seafood I've had in Boston. Impeccable service, stellar wine list, and perfect food.Special Features:
- Absolutely first rateLocalmanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Perfect experience - pricey but worth it. All 4 of us had a great meal, service was perfect (efficient and friendly without needing to become friends). Highlights were monkfish and paella. Portions in general were not large, but if you're hungry, get the paella; more than enough food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous gnoccheti and drinksBlackSheepDined on 8/23/2014The gnochetti are one of the best meals we have eaten in our lives. Fresh oysters and excellent desert and drinks made this evening memorable. On the expensive side, but worth every dollar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent meal - the branzino was the best ever! Oysters and fish were so fresh! Very accommodating for a party of 6Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere and service was excellent.Special Features: