Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
212 W. Crockett St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mokarahotels.com/sanantonio/dining.html
- Phone: (210) 396-5817
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Special Events: At Ostra we are proud to house two private dining rooms for the exclusive use of guests dining in groups or who are in need of that little extra privacy. We also have the capability to host large private groups. Call 210.518.1177 for more information!
A word from Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
At Ostra we proudly present the finest selection of fresh fish, locally sourced produce and organic product flown in from around the world. Uniquely imaginative cuisine delights diners as they stroll in from the River Walk to enjoy fine fare and one of our famous margaritas. Ostra features exclusive river front terrace dining, a dramatic stone and glass oyster bar and two private rooms to accommodate any guest request. Here, you can expect quality ingredients, an extensive wine selection, specialty vintage tequilas and the highest levels of service in a relaxed contemporary atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (19)romantic (15)scenic view (13)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Some important things lackingKatbrownVIPDined on 11/14/2014We spent our anniversary weekend at Mokara and had dinner on check-in day at Ostra. The minute we walked into the restaurant my husband commented on the extreme "fishy" odor, which wasn't pleasant. We were seated and reseated three times because of the bright spotlight type of lighting over the tables. The staff was very pleasant and said they would ask about dimming the lights but it never happened. Shortly after we were seated, the hostess seated another couple right next to us--seriously about 2 feet away, and the restaurant was almost empty. We were unable to have a private conversation during the entire meal and we could hear every word spoken by our neighbors. We were treated to a free glass of bubbly as an anniversary gift which was nice. The food was good but the kitchen misread our order of two separate entrees and we were served one entrée instead of two (no extra plate either). We decided to just share the entrée rather than wait for the second one. It seemed that the staff at Ostra needs more training on paying attention to important details.
- Third time there, third time excellent foodmbshuDined on 11/8/2014This is a great place to dine with truly excellent food, cocktails and wine with a view on the Riverwalk. Seafood is their specialty (and ours!) but our meat-only friend was happy as well. Table setting is spacious so that you will not be pushed by passers-by as in some other places on the Riverwalk. Our very attentive and friendly server was from Brasov, Romania, as is a very good friend of us in Germany ... Only the first couple of minutes were a strange experience. We referred to our Open Table reservation where we had explicitly asked for patio seating - but were told outdoor is first come first served only. Then the friends who were with us secured a table for all four of us and secured chairs from neighbouring tables. That should have been the job of the restaurant staff, I say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesVIPDined on 11/7/2014A good Oyster selection and nice to sit outside on the Riverwalk.Special Features:
- Ostra is fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014Ostra has great atmosphere and a wonderful menu. Our waitress, Candice, is the best. She was cheerful, had a great attitude and was attentive to our needs. We recommend Ostra is every way, and be sure to sit in Candice's section!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mjmMartyDined on 10/8/2014The location is ideally suited along the River-Walk. Outdoor and indoor seating allow you the option depending upon the weather and your dress. Food quality was of some of highest quality fish i have ever had. The combinations of flavor require a more sophisticated palate. The accompaniments were rather rich and filling. Dined the following day and chose pieces of fish over a Caesar salad, and one piece with Jasmine rice and asparagus. Nice wine selection by the bottle and the glass.Special Features:
- Loved OstraJEMLAWDined on 10/4/2014One of our faves. Went for dinner after a UTSA football game at the Alamodome. Seafood was fantastic. Service was great and the Mariachi guitarist was just the right touch. We watched the people on the Riverwalk from our outdoor table.Special Features:
- Romantic celebrationHippies57Dined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed a romantic birthday dinner at Ostra. The food was excellent and the atmosphere by far the Best on the river. Highly recommend the Mission Martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always 5 Star!DaveHVIPDined on 10/1/2014Another great meal here. There's no reason not to stop by once by the Riverwalk area. They were very accommodating and gave us our own dining area. Great appetizers and main course. The wine wasn't as good but that was probably our fault. I look forward to coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent riverwalk locationlynnnyDined on 10/1/2014We spent a special anniversary night on the Riverwalk. The food and service was outstanding. I had the shrimp scampi . It was in an alfredo sauce which was a surprise but tasty. My husband had a fish char special very good prepared to his liking. We would highly recommend Ostra to our friends.Special Features:
- Great return visitElizabethVIPDined on 9/19/2014Back in San Antonio and we specifically sought this restaurant again. Sat outside on River Walk and enjoyed good food and service and a bit of people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant at the MokaraMCinTheWoodlandsVIPDined on 9/19/2014My niece and I were staying at the Mokara and had dinner at Ostra on our first night in San Antonio. I had the ribeye, and she had the tenderloin. Both of our steaks were prepared and seasoned perfectly. My only complaint is that the oysters (for which I paid $16 for 6) were pathetically small...they were so small that the waiter asked if he could remove the tray of empty shells, and I'd only eaten 2 of the 6 at that time - he could barely see that there was still "flesh" on the shells. Really, if the oysters are that tiny, they should reduce the price or at least advise the diners of this fact. Other than that, the meal was terrific. Our waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- A real hit...!!!foodie4everDined on 9/13/2014We were at Ostra on a Saturday evening, early dining time. Everything was wonderful!! Service and ambiance were first class! We spent most of our time eating our way through the appetizers, all fresh seafood and oysters, which was fabulous. We then shared a salad and a grilled redfish entrée, both of which were awesome! We would come back in the heart beat! Recommend this place to any one who likes "fresh off the boat: seafood and great service!Special Features:
- oysters are the best partjwalkersVIPDined on 9/1/2014We went for he oysters and they were fresh and good, the fish was okSpecial Features:
- BendyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good ambiance, foor, service, and wine. Nice location on the Riverwalk.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealMattDined on 8/17/2014We went there for the first time on our last visit downtown. Our meal was fabulous and will definelty go out again for the next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riverwalk is the only bright spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014The service was average. Drink refills slow. Our waitress was very nice, but I don't think she had much confidence in the food, she even called the sides 'just plain ole side'. We should have heeded the warning, but we ordered two $8 a piece sides anyway and were very disappointed with the mushy bland asparagus. As far as the main course goes, we ordered three appetizers to share and although the menu describes them all differently, they all came out on identical sauced plates. And just like the sides, they were lackluster and were missing seasoning. You would think in a city known for great food, with numerous great chefs, one would be working at one of the most expensive places in town......I guess not.Special Features:
- ExceptionalluckynluvDined on 8/7/2014We celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary here and the hotel, spa, and restaurant staff went all out to make our celebration exceptional. We found the staff to be very friendly and responding to our every need. This was truly a 5 star experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ostra a gemFam4niteDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time here. We were very pleased with both the service and food. Our servicer was great and very attentive. Manager was continually working the room ensuring everyone had what they needed. The kind of service you should get for a high end restaurant. We were not disappointed. We had a great view of the Riverwalk thru tinted windows so we had some privacy. Menu was very interesting with several items we still want to try when we go next time. Fish dishes were prepared perfectly with tons of flavor. A great place for a romantic dinner or in our case a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodieFoxDined on 8/1/2014Came here for our anniversary, it was a wonderful experience and we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 229 reviews are from the Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa reviews archive.
- On River-walk & makes reservationsAustinAggieVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food is good quality and service is good. for some reason we were not "wowed" at the same level as the price. It just was not there. One good thing is that they accept open table reservations while most on the river-walk are in long long waiting lists.Special Features:
- 2eatersVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very disappointed. Order seafood Cobb, which was described as with shrimp and crab. Salad arrived with 1 shrimp and no crab. Not acceptable.
- River walk DinnerDezinerDined on 7/8/2014We love this restaurant, and always eat here when we are in San Antonio. The ambiance and service are fantastic when you eat outside. Great place to enjoy people watching on the river walk. This time, the halibut special was a little over cooked and dry. Flavor was fantastic, portion was very small however. Salmon nacho appetizer was wonderful, as usual. Jorge, our server was very attentive and professional.Special Features:
- excellentI8itDined on 7/5/2014Great location, the ambience was perfect also added bonus, if you like to people watch dining outside us perfect. Our server Jesse never let our needs go unattended. Staff made a special night memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gross, Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We reserved an indoor table by a window to celebrate our anniversary. We were placed outside right under the masses of punks pouring by with their body piercings (festerings) and tattoos everywhere including private areas. The host was not kind in giving us this table. Food was as average as having gone to one of the chain restaurants on the river walk. The smells were atrocious. My redfish was below average and the size of a child's palm; husband's steak was mediocre at best. Really, just horrible. We couldn't leave the table quickly enough. I'm very honest in my reviews. Trust me, this is not the place for upscale dining, or even an above average experience if you have taste.
- Pretty ambiance, okay foodIlikeatmosphereVIPDined on 7/4/2014Very pretty restaurant. Went for lunch and it was great, went back for dinner and it was awful food and service. Scallops were tiny no flavor and a the scallops sat on weird bland noodleSpecial Features:
- Walked past this gem many times!chefboyrdVIPDined on 7/3/2014Ive been going to the San Antonio Riverwalk for years and have stumbled by this place and never took the time to look as most of these places have mediocre "tourist" food at best! Was I ever wrong!! This place has an extremely diversified menu to please anyone and service of a 5 star restaurant. From the blackened redfish sandwich @ lunch to the dinner special of "porgy", a fish I've never heard of, it was all perfect... 2 times dining with a total of 9 people, we found NO flaws with any dish. Not only will I return, I've begun to "spread the word" by mouth to all my friends! See you guys again when I return... and thanks for the culinary memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for River ParadejadlairDined on 6/18/2014We reserved a spot and were able to get a table outside for the Spurs Championship parade. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They were also very understanding that people getting a table there were staying for the parade. There was a $75 minimum per adult, but that was more reasonable for the occasion than other restaurants who were charging that for adults and $25-50 per child also (we came with our two kids). The food was tasty and seemed fresh. I had the halibut which I highly recommend. Great place to eat especially if the weather is cooperating and you want to sit outside. Even with the heat, there is enough shade to make it tolerable.Special Features:
- Riverwalk diningCindysaDined on 6/14/2014We took visitors to the Riverwalk for dinner and had a delicious meal. The seafood was well presented and fresh. Service was accommodating although this is not a place for a quick meal. The restaurant is located on a lovely, less crowded part of the Riverwalk and the outdoor dining is great. We enjoyed the Sancerre wine but the wine list in general was fairly expensive. Free valet parking at the Mokara is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeBuckeyeVIPDined on 6/6/2014I ws in San Antonio for business looking for a place for dinner when i walked by Ostra. I stopped in early in the evening and was pleasantly surprised over the quality of my meal. The food was so good i decided that rather than take a chance on a new place I would stick with something i knew and went back the second evening. The meal was just as good as my firs experience. Service was excellent on both occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceEggsBenedictDined on 5/26/2014We were looking for a nice breakfast place before heading to the airport. They provided great service, good food, and good prices. One of the best Eggs Benedict in recent memory.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Great service and very friendly staff. The best shrimp scampi I have ever had.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingTravelerNotTouristVIPDined on 5/18/2014We booked this based on TripAdvisor reviews and because it was in our hotel. This was our anniversary dinner but everything about it was just average, although we enjoyed sitting outside and enjoying the weather. The lump crab appetizer seemed like it had been frozen and thawed out; texture was not indicative of fresh crab. Thankfully, our server warned us off two of the desserts. Definitely overpriced for the quality. Good cocktails.
- Dining on the RiverDoctorGRVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nice breezy (usually) area of the Riverwalk. The only negative is the pedestrian flow (with lit cigarettes and crying babies) is very close to the outdoor tables.Special Features:
- Mother's Day CelebrationHusbandDined on 5/11/2014We were impressed from the moment, we entered until the moment we left! I am so glad that I happened upon this restaurant. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!IlovegoodrestaurantsDined on 5/6/2014Fabulous meal on this first-time visit for all in our party. We ordered several appetizers for the table and they were excellent. Entrees kept the bar high! Excellent service. Only regret is that we all were in town for a meeting and don't know when we might be able to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on RiverwalkdiningshamanDined on 5/6/2014Lovely, quiet area along Riverwalk with impeccable service, beautifully prepared and inspiring food with inspiring southwest flavors, this is the special place to dine. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 5/6/2014Loved the restaurant- we will come back to try the hotel next visit to San AntonioSpecial Features:
- BrunchRaleighVisitorVIPDined on 5/4/2014A great spot with a scenic view for brunch. Richard was very welcoming and accomodating. They have gluten-free options, but you must have a full entree on Sundays to enjoy any adult beverages.Special Features:
- Great but is lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The food was good, ambience was good, service was very attentive, accomodating and professional. Wine list was lacking. Food price is on the higher end for the riverwalk, cooked just right with sauces and sides you wont find anywhere else in the vicinity. But I wasnt blown away. Ambience was good for a romantic dinner with my girlfriend, could have used dimmer lights however. I felt it was more a celebration of money than food in the end. Paid a lot but didnt walk away feeling deeply satisfied for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not wowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014Food was good, waiter fine and friendly. I just think they could work on the wow factor as far as the food goes - wow the taste buds and make it a must repeat instead of a once and go.Special Features: