Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
6600 Kalanaanaole Hwy.
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://royshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8083967697
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Chris Garnier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Zameer Mallal 8083967697
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment: Wednesday, Thurusday,and Friday 630pm-930pm Saturday 6pm-9pm
A word from Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
Welcome to the Original Roy's in Hawaii Kai! For the past 25 years, guests have enjoyed Roy Yamaguchi's award winning Hawaiian Inspired Euro Asian Cuisine, globally sourced orignial wines and Roy's Aloha style of service. Roy's chefs utilize the freshest local ingredients, bold Asian spices, European sauces and focus on fresh seafood. A breathtaking view of Maunalua Bay may be enjoyed from the main dining room or private dining room that is available for a special occasion or business gathering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (94)special occasion (93)fit for foodies (74)romantic (55)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (34)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (25)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- great food....butsusieQDined on 9/17/2014Our food was amazing as always, service was excellent. We had to ask to change tables because they seated us close to a large group that was extremely loud. We couldn't even hear each other. It was better after we changed tables. One young woman from that group was so loud that you could hear every word she spoke no matter where you were in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- watermanwatermanDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I came to celebrate my birthday here on 9/16/14. This is the place to celebrate in style. The food, service and ambiance was all first class and they really treat you like a king. The price fix menu is an awesome value and the portions are huge. Want to impress someone special, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time: great food & service!MarinDinerDined on 9/14/2014Always thought it would be touristy, but was very wrong. Warm welcoming staff, a creative menu which honored their best-loved dishes of over 30 years. White tablecloth, a touch old school, this would be great for an inter generational family celebration meal. The prix fixe meal had generous portions, and nice wine choices. The signature Hawaiian martini was a hit. The only criticism? The Mai Tai was a touch too sweet. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hwong808Dined on 9/10/2014nice atmosphere, reasonably priced; good portions, waiter was ok, could be more friendly, overall we enjoyed our celebrationSpecial Features:
- a must stopJandBVIPDined on 9/8/2014We truly enjoyed our experience and food. We will try to get back before our trip ends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not like beforeGardenGirlDined on 9/8/2014been going to this, the original Roy's for at least 20 years. Notable fall-off in quality in the past few years. While still good the main dishes (fish) were rather dry, the sauces that usually are the stand out feature were a bit skimpy and lacking flavor. The noise level is off the charts and so not a relaxing meal at all. probably taking Roy's off my go-to list. Appetizers are always the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationPikaDined on 9/6/2014The seafood combo, miso butterfish entrees were very good and prix fixe menu was a good deal. Salmon entree selection was average, though. Thankfully, the appetizers were ono, especially the rib. Also ordered a salad but was disappointed as the greens were wilted and dressing, meh. Complimentary birthday treats were good and so was the dark chocolate souffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining venueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014Great food and exceptional service. They need to relocate the feral cat that goes between tables in the patio area.Special Features:
- RickDined on 9/5/2014Excellent as always. The Frying Dragon was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Special Occasion DiningMWPSDined on 9/2/2014Roy's always consistent with quality of food and service. It's our go-to restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsTrekkieDined on 9/1/2014The Original Roy's is still the place to go if you want to celebrate a special occasion. The food and service is good here and also with lots of ample free parking. Upon arriving, we had to wait a little, even though we had reservations, but the wait was minimal like less than 10 minutes. It's somewhat noisy here with the open kitchen and all, but tolerable. We will be back to try more of their delicious looking dishes.Special Features:
- An old local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Between the lanai for outside under-the-palm (never mind the traffic), or inside at the bar, or upstairs for more formal dining, Roys delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining in Hawaii!ShortyloDined on 8/31/2014Each year, we come from the mainland to celebrate our anniversary @ Roy's. This was our ninth anniversary. The dinners are exquisite with very fresh ingredients. I love their farm to fork tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Food was perfectly executed and served promptly. The portions were very generous and the service was great. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemMeleDined on 8/28/2014The varied menu of exceptional Asian-Pacific cuisine brings us back regularly and the complimentary dessert for special honorees is greatly appreciated and a lovely way to celebrate memorable occasions. The well-trained staff members are especially courteous, communicative, and friendly. What most in our east neighborhood would desire is to have daily lunch or weekend brunch available to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Roy's!yumyumDined on 8/24/2014I loved everything about this place. Everything was delicious from beginning to end, and they have an amazing view of the waterfront.Special Features:
- great dining experienceweekendwarriorDined on 8/22/2014Duck&scallops were a hit, however,the greens were stringy.Portion size surprisingly large especially the prefix menu. Roys did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014My husband and I were visiting Hawaii on business. I picked Roy's Hawaii Kai location because it was away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. And we had a terrific meal. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. From start to finish the meal was very good. I would definitely return and recommend to anyone visiting O'ahu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDined on 8/16/2014My wife looked amazing in the cone-shaped birthday hat, with the curly ribbons.Special Features:
- GrrrrreatDrLoveDined on 8/15/2014Todd never disappoints. Remember to ask for items not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic, to be kindFooMoonDined on 8/14/2014Upstairs dining room is open to the kitchen. Noise level before 8 p.m. is sometimes distracting. Best time to dine is after 8 p.m. when the rush is past and it's a quieter atmosphere. We dined at 6:45p and most of room was filled with a tour group, who sat at all the window tables. Will remember to come later next time. Always ate appetizers instead of a full entree. The entree prices are a little $$$ for the really simple meals listed. The service was very good - attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Roy's is our go to spot for celebrations!! Love!!!Special Features:
- Great, butKonandadDined on 8/7/2014Really enjoyed the food/ambiance, however there were a couple of niggles: 1. amount of fingerlings potatoes with ribeye was meagrely/for decorative purposes - would suggest smaller steak and more of the vegetables. 2. The appetizer of roasted beets, included crumbled goat cheese- expected "crumbles", not a hint of finely grated goats cheese. also fiesta tomato was very sparing more of a sliver. Expected at least 1 whole tomatoSpecial Features:
- dreamdeliteDined on 8/1/2014scallops, crab cakes, shrimp, opah - who could ask for more! Wonderful combination although I wish the cakes were bigger! Chocolate mousse was a bit sweet for me and cookie cup. Beef ribs were generous with lots of leftovers for later.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations!KawikaDined on 8/1/2014Our last visit to this Roy's was a long time ago, so we did not know what to expect. The Original Roy's did not disappoint - it exceeded expectations. Our party of 4 ordered the special Prix Fixe menu which provided a 3-appetizer sampler plate, entree, and dessert. Two of us also ordered the wine paring with this menu. The appetizer of Szechuan Pork Rib is so ono and tender and literally fell off the bone. My entree of Honey Mustard Grilled Beef Short Rib was very good but my wife's Hibachi Grilled Salmon was even better. The Melting Dark Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla Ice Cream was a dream and paired perfectly with Olivares' Dulce Monastrell. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will be visiting Roy's again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014Wonderful restaurant! Great food and service. "Opa" was so wonderful.Special Features:
- sine qua nonRickDined on 7/28/2014Terrific place for any occasion with a broad menu to match any desire. (And we've been to 16 of Roy's restaurants.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as usual.AnanniversarymustDined on 7/28/2014From the moment that the hostess opens the front door to you, to the end where everyone thanks you for dining there, Roy's does not disappoint. We always feel welcome and appreciated at Roy's. We love the food and drink options, and the view is lovely. I am allergic to wheat, so usually a chef will offer me a bare baked piece of chicken and plain lettuce. At Roy's, I eat like a queen. The chef simy makes suggestions and creatively adapts the menu item. My husband loves the blackened, seared ahi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTarheelsDined on 7/25/2014Just incredible. Food and service are always top notch.Special Features:
- UnexpectedSEAHNLOGGDined on 7/25/2014Didn't expect the level of service and special treatment after setting up a reservation online for our 10 anniversary. Included were some nice touches to an overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner @ Roy's Hawaii KaiNarfDined on 7/25/2014Awesome view with the sun setting. Service was 5 Stars & food was just so yummy!Special Features:
- Roys Hawaii KaiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Roys in Hawaii Kai never fails. The service is always top notch, along with the outstanding food. Thanks to our server Dane for the awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mattdlcDined on 7/25/2014I have been going to the original Roy's for 20 years and have found it to be very consistent in the food, service and overall atmosphere. the sea food is fresh and awesome, the braised short ribs are my fave! oh the chocolate souffle and pineapple upside down cake is to die for...Special Features:
- food2dy4Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent service, accommodating and attentive. The variety of menu offerings allows anyone an opportunity to find a selection that will please. My choice of Blackened Ahi is especially recommended. An overall dining pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulLilikoiLilikoiDined on 7/22/2014I always like to come to Roy's/Hawaii Kai for the first night of any visit with my mother. We like to sit and watch the sunset over the water (not to mention admire the crews out practicing and sweating while we relax). It's great to get away from Honolulu (though the drive out is always slow because of rush hour), and the view is beautiful, soothing. The food is terrific, of course: we need that butterfish fix. Hard to have room for both the dim sum boat and chocolate souffle/pineapple upside-down cake, though.Special Features:
- Lovely!LuckywelivehawaiiDined on 7/19/2014We went to Roy's for the first time to celebrate my husband's birthday. We were a bit early for our reservation and were prepared to wait, but we were seated right away. The cocktails were great, the food was great, the service was great. We had a really lovely time, thank you Roy's! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Nice location. Very good food. Attentive staff. Worth the high price? Not in my opinion, but had to experience Roy's once. I may try the downstairs bar area, it looks like it would be a great place to relax with a drink and, hopefully, reasonably priced pupus.Special Features:
- Roy's Hawaii Kai - Repeat CustomerHelloDined on 7/19/2014Another enjoyable meal! I had the butterfish again (and again and again). Consistently excellent dining experience in all respects!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissnicksterDined on 7/17/2014I've been to Roy's HK many times and have always had great service and enjoyed the atmosphere. However, the food has always been inconsistent. On my last visit, my husband and I had two appetizers, drinks, entrees and one dessert. The drinks were good, my dessert was out of this world, my entree - prawns with squid ink linguini - was tasty, and the arancini appetizer was delicious. The two items that were misses were the brussels sprouts app and the HK sampler. Unfortunately, the broccolini on the sampler tasted like lighter fluid and the seafood could've used a lot more sauce, and the sprouts were just OK. We'll probably keep trying, but I just wish everything was consistently delicious, because when they get it right, it's fantastic!Special Features:
- Roy's Hawaii Kainwhite14Dined on 7/15/2014My wife and I went here for my birthday dinner and it was fantastic. Had local island flare and incredible menu options. Both my mixed seafood plate and her short ribs were on point and extremely well prepared. The restaurant atmosphere is fantastic but a little noisier than most upscale places; not a knock on the restaurant though. The view is great as you look out over the Pacific ocean and there is a nice outdoor seating area as well. If you're looking for a upscale, delicious, and romantic evening this is the to go spot on the island.Special Features: