One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
101 Meadowmount Village Circle
Chapel Hill, NC 27517Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.one-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9195378207x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 until Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Floresca & Daniel Ryan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact reservations to reserve your private dining experience.
- Entertainment: Watch the kitchen brigade prepare their gourmet masterpieces in the open kitchen, viewable from any seat in the restaurant.
A word from One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
Having both started cooking at a young age, our executive chefs Kim and Daniel have a combined experience of over 26 years in the hospitality industry. Their work experience includes various positions in the most celebrated restaurants on the planet, such as Per Se (New York), The French Laundry (Napa Valley), Alinea (Chicago) and El Bulli in Roses Spain. Most recently, Kim and Daniel served on the executive management team at the three Michelin-Star rated restaurants “The Restaurant at Meadowood” in Napa Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (85)notable wine list (59)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great eveningPookyDined on 9/18/2014Took our daughter for a special evening and the food was wonderful. Presentation, especially the peach ice cream dessert was unbelievable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary with their "Impromptu" dining experience. All I can say is "OMG". If you are a foodie and want something unlike any dining experience in the Triangle, you need to make your way to ONE. 7+ courses that paired the most unique elements and which all were indescribably delicious. Exotic, Ecclectic, Unique and absolutely ONE of a kind. A definite MUST. Rated number one in the area for 2014; now I know why.Special Features:
- ONEoneisbest4allDined on 9/13/2014this place is amazing! great food and equally great service..highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We ate at ONE for my husband's birthday and it exceeded our expectations! We received special "treats" to start and more treats with our bill - the four course tasting was the perfect amount of food, the service was impeccable, the wine suggestions were lovely, and all the food was especially fresh, creative, thoughtful and beautiful. We can't wait to go again. Our compliments to the chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One, you had me at helloFoodobsessedDurhamDined on 9/12/2014Although it was our first time dining at One, we were greeted by name, which was nice. We had the 4 course tasting menu, which was absolutely the perfect amount of food for one sitting. From the moment the amuse bouche came out, I knew our experience was going to be exceptional. The chicken liver puree with chocolate wafers blew me away, and the 3 additional tiny treats were the perfect introduction to the creative, incredibly detail-oriented, and beautifully presented food we enjoyed throughout our meal. Service was exceptional. The wine list is enormous with a wide variety of price points.Special Features:
- [One] Without A SecondGianDined on 9/11/2014We had the Impromptu Tasting Menu and it was flawless from the amuse bouche to the second dessert. Our dietary restrictions were honored. Each dish was more memorable than the last. A work of culinary artistry and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary & Birthday CelebrationKendraVIPDined on 9/11/2014We choose the chefs tasting menu which is adventurous since you have no idea what will be served. The waiter will ask if any one has any allergies or food restrictions which guides the chef for a personal menu for the night. It was a great surprise that with a table of 4, two people would get the same dish and the other two would get something different,great so that we could try each others dishes. We loved every dish that came out and loved the complex flavors and with a presentation that was memorizing. All the deserts were different so we decided to take a bite and pass the plate so that everyone could try the amazing desserts. Kim and Daniel bring exceptional food to Chapel Hill ! We are so lucky to have these chefs in NCSpecial Features:
- The Art of Food!SamAndChuckDined on 9/9/2014We are so lucky to have a restaurant like One in this area. Each stage of the experience is extraordinary. With that said, the atmosphere is not snooty and questions are welcome. Those that work there are very proud of their craft and have found a home to really practice it and not have to cut corners. We never felt rushed. When we dine at One we usually sit facing the kitchen to see the work going on. For our foodie friends this is a must event. Looking forward to another experience at One.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely anniversary dinnerOccasionaldnrDined on 9/6/2014We made out first visit to One for a special occasion, a wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed. The meal was delicious (my wife had the barbecue cobia and I had the rib eye). The portions were modest, but sufficient. We split a faux peach dessert, which was light and wonderful. The service was excellent. Our servre was very helpful in explaining menu items and recommending wine pairings. And there were extras, from the warm pretzel rolls to the small chef's surprise bite-size appetizers. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014As always, superb! A great meal, super service, wonderful company. What could be better? Just when you think One has gotten as perfect as possible, you return to find a new definition of the word.Special Features:
- Food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014The food was excellent. We had the four course tasting menu. Even though each portion wad relatively small, the grand total was a lot of food. Only complaint was that the temperature in the restaurant was cold, even favor people who like things on the chilly side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but failedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We went for a special occasion. Our reservations were for 8:30 we were not seated until after 9 which was fine but we ordered the 7course meal and it took SOOOO long in between courses that we were there very late (we had a sitter at home) and we felt rushed when we did get the food to move quickly to the next one only to wait more; also by the end they were literally cleaning the kitchen so I am sure our last few courses were what they had left over. The only dietary restriction we had was no beef- and they brought a mooing cow to our table. To their credit the food we could eat was good; they comped a good part of bill without us asking, the server was very nice and dealt with what seemed like a kitchen issue wellSpecial Features:
- Don't go hungrypretentiousVIPDined on 8/30/2014350 for 4 prix fixe meals and drinks ( before tip ) and one of our party didn't drink at all. The portions are tiny, but well presented. The Prix Fixe was 4 courses for 48 bucks, still trying to see how we ran through 150 bucks of booze with two cocktails, four glasses of wine and two digestives. I guess the take-away is eat before you go here and meet at a bar first before you eat.Special Features:
- Unforgetable eveningfoodie4funDined on 8/23/2014We had a great meal ! We went for the "impromptu" tasting Menu and were pleasantly surprised. We've been there before and would go back at any time. Service was also extremely good. Our lady server was nice, polite and very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Creative and freshSmallpebblesDined on 8/23/2014We had the four-course dinner, which allows for each diner to select four items from the menu. Each dish was extremely creative, delicate, beautifully presented, and with interesting pairings of flavors. It took awhile to figure out the menu, which has an unusual presentation of unique offerings. The food is so elegant that the setting appears a bit more casual than it deserves. We are lucky to have this restaurant in Chapel Hill!Special Features:
- Fantastic food & PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014We had our best meal in recent memory at [ONE] the other night. This is saying something because we have eaten at a number of nationally famous restaurants. The food was inventive, beautifully presented, unbelievably delicious, and came in good portion sizes. Service was excellent, attentive without being annoying, and not at all pretentious. The restaurant's decor is nice, but nothing special, and it was pleasantly quiet. The price was comparable to what one usually pays around here for far more mundane meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!DecentVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have dined here many times and are always impressed. They change the menu frequently which keeps it interesting for those of us who like to eat here often. Food is incredible! Always creative, delicious and inventive. Not to mention it's a great deal, especially the impromptu and 4-course options. HIGHLY recommend for anyone who loves food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is SuperbFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food at One is superb and the menu very interesting. The presentation is beautiful and the creativity is phenomenal. We enjoyed the four course dinner and a bottle of fine wine but did find the service to be a little uneven on this particular visit. We were, for a party of two, in the restaurant for 2.5 hours, which is quite a bit longer than we would have preferred, even for a nice leisurely dining experience. The server was less than attentive and seemed to forget about us, with far too much time elapsing between courses. I am not sure whether this was a snafu in the kitchen or whether our server was preoccupied, but in order to really maximize patrons' dining experience, the service should be better than we saw this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oneisbest4allDined on 8/15/2014we had a great meal with good service..what more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but room to growlarahusaryDined on 8/15/2014Overall we had a great experience (being at the Triangle). I visited with a friend that's a Chef, and I have been able to try some of the best restaurants in the world. Because of the background of the Chefs, I had really high expectations. Almost everything was very good, great combinations, but I was surprised that: - One of the dishes was very salty (the brocolli wasn't overseasoned) - There were no chocolate desserts! (although the rest were great) I will recommend the place and hopefully soon it can grow, keep the standards and become a unique and well know restaurant in the South.Special Features:
- FabulousCiCiVIPDined on 8/13/2014Everything was outstanding! The food, artistic presentation, ambiance, service!Special Features:
- beautiful and funFoodhappyDined on 8/9/2014great flexibility in putting together your own menu and everything is delicious and beautiful.Special Features:
- Special EveningpwarDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I went to One to celebrate our anniversary with the Impromptu Chef 6-course tasting meal. We often have difficulty in restaurants since we are vegan and I'm allergic to mushrooms. It was marvelous! I got 6 courses that were completely different from the 6 courses my husband got. What fun, trying 12 courses. The food was creative, visually appealing and delectable. The service was attentive but not intrusive. A wonderful anniversary treat.Special Features:
- 4* pretentionsoltexanDined on 8/6/2014One has many things going for it: a very creative kitchen that uses very good ingredients. But the dishes are sometimes just overly clever. When they were good they were very very good. When they were not, they were off-putting. Generally the veggy oriented dishes were quite good. But my Cobia with BBQ sauce tasted like BBQ sauce while my wife's tuna was great. My beef dish was ruined by a "bagna cauda" sauce (that wasn't) and my wife's dish of lamb "collar" was chewy. If I were to return I would choose carefully from the menu, since many of the tastings were from there. All but one of the wine pairings were whites. On the whole, a somewhat frustrating mixed experience.Special Features:
- Terrific food and watching chefsDickDined on 8/5/2014The dining experience was special and we so enjoyed this food experience! Get a seat at the bar, viewing the cooking, if possible.Special Features:
- The Perfect DinnerSeasaDined on 8/5/2014"One" was one of the best restaurants I've have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The taste of every menu item we ordered was exquisite and the presentation was beyond art. Our server was wonderful and very knowledgeable. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantgoodfoodloverDined on 8/5/2014One, has exceptional atmosphere, service and food. A true gem in the triangle making it an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, over-wrought serviceWashingtonVIPDined on 8/2/2014The ambiance is killer. From the wooden doors to the stone slab plates to the glass-wall wine cellar, this place is visually quite impressive -- far more so than you might expect for a restaurant in a suburban strip mall. The food is amazing. You can't go wrong. The wine list is impressive -- we had a $50 Argentinian malbec that was _perfect_. And the little details are really something -- right down to the liquor-infused cherries served on a volcanic rock when the check comes. The only down-side is the service. The staff are _aggressively_ formal and polite -- so much so that their interactions seems scripted and creepy.Special Features:
- bobrDined on 8/2/2014Over the years since it first opened my only complaint has been the service is not up to the food. The present management has solved that problem. We chose our food from the 4-course tasting menu and let the waiter select the wine pairings. The menu was extensive, creative and tasty. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique Chapel Hill restaurantNCvisitorDined on 7/31/2014Truly a restaurant that any true food lover should frequent. It is by no means cheap, but worth every penny!!! The combinations of flavors are balanced, subtle and inventive. Food presentation is meticulous. There is great attention to detail and service. Rarely have a I been to a restaurant where the wait staff, all the servers and the hostess know the food so well and can answer any questions about the food knowledgeably. The small bites are just awesome and of course, we loved their pretzel rolls and butter! Loved it and will return again and again.Special Features:
- ElliotVIPDined on 7/31/2014the best food presentation of any restaurant I have ever been too. Imaginative recipesSpecial Features:
- Foodie Heaven in Chapel HilldrjazDined on 7/29/2014Having eaten at some of the top restaurants around the world (Jean George, The French Laundry, The Square, Le Cinq) I found this dining experience absolutely superb! We chose to sit at the bar to observe the action happening in the open kitchen and the food was as wonderful as the show! We enjoyed speaking with the chefs as they cooked and relished in every one of the seven dishes that was created for the 'impromtu tasting' menu! Although we chose not to do the wine pairing, their sommeliers were talented at choosing wines that would go well with our upcoming dishes. We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- AmazingNCdinersDined on 7/26/2014Run, don't walk, to this totally amazing restaurant! We asked to sit at the bar that runs the length of the open kitchen and are so glad we did. Amazing to watch all the culinary magic happen right in front of us. Opted for the Chef's Surprise Tasting Menu and could not have made a better choice. 7 courses, however with two of us dining that meant we each got a different dish for each course! We shared each one so we actually had 14 different dishes. The food was outstanding and the presentation like works of art. The pastry chef presented, personally, his 2 works of art to us and they were heavenly. The whole evening was an experience and one we will certainly repeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014Do not miss this opportunity. The food and flavors are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowRogerWVIPDined on 7/25/2014In the early days ONE was just perfect, then things just went wrong. But now ONE has climbed to it's highest post providing a truly fantastic dining experience! The new chefs are absolutely on top of their game! Run, don't walk to ONE.Special Features:
- Great surprise!SerenVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had heard about One, but never expected such a great meal. We had the four course meal and made great choices. Wonderful service, complex flavors, great surprises between courses. Am going back with other friends next week.Special Features:
- All around winnerMrMJVIPDined on 7/23/2014I had a great meal here. The service was excellent, the tasting menu was well thought out, and paired with very good wines. I will return here the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovered a Gem!JoanMVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dined here for the first time after reading so many great reviews on Open Table. We could not have been more pleased! The experience was wonderful from the time we arrived until we left. The food was perfection, the service was very attentive without being overbearing and the wine selections unique. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to eat here!!DecentVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was one of our favorite dining experiences in a very long time, especially for restaurants in the Triangle. The food is amazing and very well presented/plated. I'm always uncomfortable with stuffy service when we eat at nicer restaurants, but the service here is friendly and accommodating. We did the impromptu menu, and at first thought it might not be enough food, but by the time our 7th course arrived, we were quite satisfied. The food is impeccable and I can't wait to eat here again. Don't miss out on this jewel in the heart of Chapel Hill!Special Features:
- Underwhelmed....MartinigirlDined on 7/18/2014Our evening started with our waitress being unable to help my father select a bottle of Pinot Grigio and our having to request the Sommelier (who has assisted us in the past) and then my dirty martini arrived without an olive....the waitresses' response "Do you want me to go get you an olive" my response "Well...really I would have liked my dirty martini arrive with an olive and not have to ask you to bring me one". It just was not enjoyable. They did accommodate my request to be seated near the entrance because of a mobility issue with my father and I have had good experiences in the past.