Old Fisherman's Grotto
39 Fisherman's Wharf
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Old Fisherman's Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/
- Phone: 8313754604x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 10:30am - 10:30pm
No high chairs - No strollers - No booster chairs
Children crying or making loud noises are a distraction to other diners and as such not permitted in the dining room.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Ponce
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Old Fisherman's Grotto
Located on historic Fisherman's Wharf with stunning views of the Monterey Harbor, Old Fisherman’s Grotto is a "must visit" restaurant. The “Grotto” has rightfully earned its worldwide reputation for only the finest cuisine in a superb atmosphere and service. Featuring fresh seafood from sustainable sources including Macadamia Crusted Halibut, Hawaiian Swordfish, Ultimate Seafood Pasta, live Crab and Lobster, the Grotto also offers a variety of the finest “Certified Angus Beef”. Start with our award-winning clam chowder and finish by indulging in one of our fresh house-made desserts. Enjoy a bottle of wine from our 2014 Wine Spectator Award Wine list with over 200 selections specializing in local vineyards. AAA 3 Diamond Rating, Monterey Peninsula Chamber "Business Excellence" Award Winner. 2010 1st Place "West Coast Chowder Competition", 2004-2014 Winner "Best Chowder" & 2013-2014 Winner "Best Calamari" in the Monterey County's Weekly Magazine "People's Choice Award"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Old Fisherman's Grotto - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Old Fisherman's Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (24)romantic (17)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (7)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Treated like a VIPJugularVIPDined on 9/10/2014The whole staff at this restaurant treated our group like we were VIPs. We really enjoyed our meals and had a very nice bottle of wine because our very nice waiter Marco let us know that wines were 20% off that night. Great suggestion!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!clamsfanDined on 8/19/2014After eating at a few other restaurants at Fishermans Wharf, we are going back to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MR, nd Mrs.mugz414Dined on 8/19/2014Celebrating our 63rd anniversary. Had a wonderful meal, soup,dessert and wine. Our waitress was exceptional. Looking forward to coming back in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Nite DinnerrbsbDined on 8/13/2014We had dinner reservations at 9 PM and were promptly seated. The service was attentive. The food was excellent. The views of the waterfront were beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow. what happened?IMHUNGRYDined on 8/11/2014Used to love the chowder. Was a lukewarm, gloppy mess. Caesar with virtuaaly novdressing & scallops that would've bounced two feet had they been dropped. Solid rubber. Our server gave us excuses "chowder is best enjoyed just warmed, not hot"; a caesar shouldn't have much dressing"; "the sign of a good scallop is one with a good chew..." HAH!! Are you kidding me? I used to LOVE your food. I want good food, not excuses. $74 for that?
- elegantDined on 7/29/2014The food and service excellent. Would recommend this restaurant!! Get a window seat if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misty WonderfulMistyDined on 7/21/2014Our special Anniversary Lunch was just wonderful. Service was great from the start. Our waiter was cordial at every encounter. We were not rushed through our meal. The weather was misty and overcast but the the restaurant was warm. Our meal opened up our taste buds to a wonderful food experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite celebration placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014This is our favorite place to celebrate since the service and food are always amazing!
- FGWendyDined on 7/10/2014Delicious food! A tad pricey but worth it! Great service.Special Features:
- Great "Date Night" Experience!!!RJRFTBDined on 7/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been to the Grotto at least a dozen times in the past 2 years, and every time one of us asks the other why we haven't been back sooner:) • GREAT FOOD • FANTASTIC SERVICE • WONDERFUL AMBIANCE • 5-STAR DINING EXPERIENCESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VasyaDined on 6/30/2014To be a respected fish restaurant you need to know how not to overcook calamari and shrimps. Both items were RUBBERY! It H=has ruid=ned the famous local cioppino. The fish was fine overall. The waiters were very friendly and accommodating.
- Better than expectedAstroboyDined on 6/22/2014First of the all, the interior of the restaurant was a total surprise! We certainly did not expect such an elegant restaurant given it's rather touristy exterior. We started with the calamari and crabmeat-avocado tower, then followed with a cup of clam chowder that lived up to it's reputation, the king salmon and shared a seafood platter. Every dish was excellent though I preferred the crabmeat avocado tower at another establishment. Highly recommend and will definitely return on our next visit to Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveseafoodDined on 6/22/2014The Hostesses and owner were very nice and accommodating! The ambiance and view was warm and inviting. The waiter was a little short when asked specifics about a gluten free menu. My lobster and shrimp was really overcooked but they replaced it with a much better version though it was pretty salty. The sea bass was slightly overcooked and a bit dry as well. The macadamia crusted dish was perfect! It was enjoyable for the most part and I would go back, though I would confirm that the fish be cooked better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but too much foodChicagoVisitorVIPDined on 6/17/2014The food and location are good, but they need to cut the portions in half or put a disclaimer on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice...frenchie1984Dined on 6/16/2014Despite reading some mediocre reviews about service and food, both our service and our food were outstanding. What looked to be a busy tourist trap was actually a very comfortable and pleasant experience for us.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food and ServiceCalcoastDined on 6/10/2014I eat at Old Fisherman's Grotto about once every month so I guess I can be considered a regular patron. The food is consistently fresh and delicious and the service is very friendly and efficient. Some of the restaurant's signature dishes include the clam chowder (the best on the wharf in my opinion), fisherman's platter, Dover sole, and corn risotto. Depending on where I am seated, I enjoy dining here while looking out at the activity going on in the bay or along the wharf. The atmosphere is inviting for a romantic experience or simply for enjoying the scenery with a groups of friends or solo. It is definitely one of my "go to" restaurant choices when I'm in the mood for a hearty seafood meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Their Chowder!TresdudesVIPDined on 6/8/2014Their creamy clam chowder is delicious and is one of our family's favorite. It doesn't matter what activity we're coming from or how we're dressed, we can always pop in for a great meal.Special Features:
- Best Clam Chowder Ever!cflynnlVIPDined on 5/30/2014Don't let the super exhausted decor or the tacky tourist frenzy surrounding it scare you off...Old Fisherman's Grotto still has it! Find it hysterical that they have a warning sign against serving families with unruly children! Clam Chowder is simply terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goffsterDined on 5/22/2014Food was good, but not outstanding. Nicely presented and colorful but standard fat, sugar and salt without the flavors and subtle spices we were looking for. Pleasant and prompt service. Obviously has a following, the restaurant was full on a Thursday evening.Special Features:
- The following 469 reviews are from the Old Fisherman's Grotto reviews archive.
- Use to be bettersweet1shVIPDined on 5/18/2014Portions have gotten smaller especially on the cioppono
- jmn1Dined on 5/5/2014Had a lovely dinner and great bottle of wine! Food was great! Service was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatluv2dineoutVIPDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant is always dependable. There is a wide variety of entrees to choose from. The wine list includes many great local wines as well as imports. My husband and I dine here frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and delicious foodMaazterDined on 4/25/2014This was the second time me and my wife went there, the food as always was exquisite, the service is superb and the place is lovely, don't miss on the desserts!Special Features:
- Good foodSteveDined on 4/24/2014Food was good. Service good. Don't order the Fried Calamari. The pieces are cut to big and it was a little doughy and soggy. Maybe it's the style, but I like my calamari crunchy and small. We had a complimentary appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine night of diningNONOYCASTILLONDined on 4/21/2014iT WAS TRULY A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO DINE AT ONE OF MONTEREY BAYS FINEST DINERS. THE SERVICE, FOOD, AND ATMOSPHERE WAS INCREDIBLE. I WOULD DINE AGAIN WHEN I HAVE THE OPPURTUNITY. IT WAS GOOD TO SEE CHRIS, AND HIS OUTSTANDING STAFF AS BOTH ME AND OUR GUESTS THAT NIGHT WERE VERY IMPRESSED BY THE FOOD AND SERVICE. I WOULD DEFINITLY RECOMMEND THIS DINER TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. TRULY A GREAT EXPERIENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good placeldgaffVIPDined on 4/14/2014This restaurant is located on the old pier at Fisherman's wharf in Monterrey. Obviously a lot of tourists eat here. The food was good with a lot of local seafood. My wife and I shared a bottle of Chardonnay, a king crab appetizer, and a sand dab main course. The wine and food were both excellent. The service was great. Our table overlooked Monterrey bay. What is not to like.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseAndyDined on 4/10/2014From the outside, you would never think the restaurant looked the way it did on the inside. It had a very romantic feel and we were given a window seat with excellent views. More of an upscale seafood restaurant than I expected. The air conditioning was blowing under the table when we first got in, we addressed it, and it was quickly fixed so we could enjoy our dinner without freezing. The waitress was very attentive and we received our food in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touristy but goodrickracerVIPDined on 4/10/2014Definitely a place for the tourists and a bit of the feel of pushing through orders for quantity rather than quality but good nonetheless. Lacking a bit of finesse and some aspects of the meal were over-cooked and/or under-seasoned but it was ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, good foodcountrycuisineDined on 4/6/2014We went because it was close by, and went right back the next night agin! Everything was great, but we went back for the amazing griled artichokes. They are marinated in a balsamic marinade andthen grilled...so good! Best of all, the bill was very reasonable.Special Features:
- GrottoRaysnshnDined on 4/2/2014Our positive experience started with a sample of amazing clam chowder and continued until the women diners received roses. The food and service were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They spoiled us rotten :)ImaginaseanDined on 3/25/2014We arrived early and were welcomed like a member of the family. I believe the owner greeted us on the wharf. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The staff is dressed in classic style and the service was impeccable. Did I mention the food was delicious and they delivered a rose to my wife at the end of the meal. We are recommending this experience to everyone!Special Features:
- Very slow service. AppetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/23/2014Very slow service. Appetizer of a roasted artichoke came our super quck and turned out to be cold. There was no way that was cooked when we ordered if. It was clearly sitting out awhile. The place was very "old school" design and a little depressing inside. Clam chowder was very good and so was Cajun tilapia dish.Special Features:
- Always WonderfulPBLocalDined on 3/17/2014My Bay Area boyfriend and I decided to try the Saint Patrick's Day menu they offered instead of going to an Irish bar to celebrate. We were so glad we did! The food was great as always, and the rose at the end is special! We love the Romantjc booths upstairs. It is quiet, and we can talk! It is a great local treasure. I bring all my out-of-town guests there! But, my Bay Area boyfriend who loves great Bay Area restaurants just loves it, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arizona VisitorsRonqDined on 3/11/2014Enjoyed the visit to this restaurant. Great views and great location. Parking was out of the way and did not expect walk. Arrived and taken to table. Server was very quiet but adequate. Food was great, but got cold quickly. Overall a great time and what you expect in a tourist hot spot.Special Features:
- Delicious with a fantastic viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/11/2014The Hostess started our evening with such a genuine welcome, followed by a very attentative Server that completed the rest of our wonderful dining experience. Great variety and value for lunch or dinners. The food is priced for everyone and always consistent with flavor and service. They know how to prepare any type of fried Calamari: whether it's an appetizer or a steak parmeasan; very tender and tasty. The mixed seafood pasta and Salmon are wonderful too. The desserts are also delicious with a beautiful presentation. We always dine here when company is in town, or as a Local several times a year.Special Features:
- Anniversary visitAnniversaryDined on 3/9/2014I took my fiancé and daughter here and it was a beautiful here, would super recommend :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experiencekbrstowDined on 3/6/2014This was a experience of fine dining. The service was fit for royalty. My wife and I really enjoyed the romantic atmosphere. to top it off after dinner a rose was given to the ladies. I would indefinitely suggest to everyone, this is a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on Fisherman's WharfWineauDined on 3/6/2014If you are an adult couple who enjoys ambience, good food & wine, this is the place for you. It's an unexpected oasis on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, which is very tourist-y and hectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodDrBizzleVIPDined on 1/30/2014This restaurant is old and out-dated. It felt like we were eating in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. The food was horrible starting with the free artichoke appetizer, which was greasy and over cooked. We ordered clam chowder and it was so thick it tasted like glue and flower. Disgusting. My pasta dish was clearly frozen and reheated. I would tell you what my husband had but he's blocked it from his memory. Dont eat here.
- Fast food with an attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2014Our waiter was great, except he kept asking tables loudly, "How did I do?", when he delivered the check. The food was FAIR--banquet fare. Otherwise a nice place to eat, but they either need to work on their kitchen staff, or they won't be around long. Salmon with a parmesan "crust" was mushy with something wet and unidentifiable by taste on top. The accompanying rissoto was sticky and slimy. Coconut shrimp was what you would expect in a burger chain. You had to imagine the coconut. Maybe we hit them on a bad night, but it doesn't seem likely.