1201 South Lamar Boulevard
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oddduckaustin.com/
- Phone: (512) 433-6521
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 1130 am - 230 pm
Brunch: Sunday 1030 am - 230 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday 5 - 10 pm
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11 pm
Bar: Mon-Fri 1130 am - close
Sat: 5 pm - close
Sun: 1030 am - close
Happy Hour Mon - Fri 3-6 pm
Sunday 230 - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryce Gilmore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Odd Duck has a great 4 seasons patio. Great views of Downtown Austin and plenty of space to entertain your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jason James 512-433-6521x
A word from Odd Duck
Odd Duck features a seasonal menu inspired by our local farmers. Utilizing our wood fire grill and oven, we offer shared plates and an extensive bread program. Our crafted drink menu will share in a similar philosophy as the food. With a great high energy atmosphere driven by our open kitchen, Odd Duck is the perfect spot to see what our community has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Odd Duck - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Odd Duck reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (333)hot spot (222)neighborhood gem (164)special occasion (141)great for outdoor dining (131)vibrant bar scene (111)good for groups (110)great for brunch (85)great for lunch (83)romantic (72)notable wine list (50)late-night find (36)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- Very hip, fresh, and funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014My friend and I went here for dinner and were lucky to get same day reservations. Upon arrival we were greeted with complimentary valet. I don't mind valet when it's free (+ tip). All of the food is farm to market so everything tastes incredibly fresh. The dining style is small plate which is a little frustrating if you're sharing. (How does one share a taco?) But that aside, the food was excellent. The bacon dish was out of this world. The bacon itself was fatty, tasty, and thick. But it was the corn based sauce that made me literally drop my fork. Get this one. The ceviche was delicate and very fresh. The sundae was delectable and tasty. They have a nice drink menu and staff that are very knowledgeable and friendly. It's easy to see why it has been called Austin's best restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor WonderlandJuan2Dined on 11/23/2014I have had the pleasure of eating at Odd Duck for lunch, dinner and brunch. I have yet to be disappointed. The food is always outstanding and the service is not just good, they add to the experience. Consider yourself lucky if you have Eric wait on your table! The manager Jason always greets guest with a smile and will occasionally bring the food out to your table. I will continue to dine at Odd Duck and I recommend to all who haven't had the pleasure of eating there yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnerashleycDined on 11/21/2014Bryce Gilmore is a genius. He puts the most amazing flavors together. Everything about Odd Duck was great at our dinner - the restaurant has a great vibe and I love the open kitchen. They have a wood-burining grill that is very cool. Service was excellent - our guy knew a lot about the menu and made great recommendations, he was attentive, but not pushy or too much in your face. And the food was AMAZING - lots of great acid in all the dishes. Ceviche was nice and little spicy; lamb sausage was delicious; grilled bacon - WOW; and the pinto beans - really good - impressive that pintos make a main dish and they taste awesome with guanciale! The only thing I did not love was the butternut squash. It wasn't bad; just ok. And did not compare with all the rest of the dishes. Apple cake donut for dessert was also stellar. Overall - great experience, great service and AWESOME food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lola Loves FoodLolaLovesFoodDined on 11/21/2014This was the best dining experience ever! Every plate was visually intriguing and a taste explosion. The service excellent. The folks at Odd Duck made me feel unique; as if I were a guest at their home. I would give 6 stars if i could. Well done OD'ersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate twice here while visiting Austin.TerriVIPDined on 11/20/2014The food is so fun here with the small plates. You can sample so many unusual recipes and the preparation is so artistic. Our waitress Chloe at lunch was so friendly and helpful with recommendations. I ordered the ice cream sundae on both visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The stars alignedECCoDined on 11/18/2014It just so happened a friend came into town and knew someone who worked at Odd Duck, so I made a reservation. The ONLY available time was 5 pm, good for them, they are busy. It just so happened they were on the cover of Austin Magazine and had won the Best new restaurant in Austin the night before. I knew none of this when I booked, or I would have said, how about we try somewhere else.... I was happy we went to Odd Duck. Great mix of flavors, fantastic service, cozy, creative all around from food to ambiance to wall decor. Price point was good and best of all, 5 pm was happy hour. Moscow Mule was yummy! I brought my entire family and it was the first time my college age sons raved about a menu, drinks and atmosphere the same way I did. Genius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On their game!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/17/2014Went on a Monday and the kitchen was firing (!) on all cylinders. Tried most of the small plates and all of them were hits. The ceviche was sublime: sparkly, fresh. The bacon small plate had just the right snap and salt. The corn soup was sweet and rich in the vaguely vegetal way tomatoes can be sometimes too. Even the fried black beans under the chicharones were carefully considered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjanelovesfoodVIPDined on 11/16/2014I dined here recently for the first time with my husband. It was amazing. We sat at the bar which I'd say is a must because it overlooks the chefs prepping and cooking the food, the sights and smells just add to the whole experience. Our waiter, Justin, was great, recommended a great bottle of wine to go along with the food. I believe their menu changes but if it's on there when you go, I'd say the must have items are definitely the lamb and the soft cooked duck egg. My mouth is watering just remembering it. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful combinations of fresh foods and herbs.SusanDined on 11/15/2014Taking time to savor each dish is an important part of enjoying an evening at Odd Duck. Wait staff explain each dish as they serve each. Fresh ingredients are so combined that each bite is foodie heaven!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2014The food is amazing - the space is super cool - the service impeccable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janaDined on 11/13/2014We found this place on Eater.com and were very pleased with the food the service and the atmosphere! Would recommend this to friends visiting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience - good food, good serviceLuvyummyDined on 11/12/2014Excellent food. Soup (sweetcorn) was a little on the small side but delish. I had heard there were limited choices for vegetarians but they actually had a separate menu with lots of great choices. We also had the fish tacos (yes, I know that's not vegetarian!) which were tasty and just the right amount of heat (for someone who is a wimp like me!). Very good service from genuinely friendly folks. My companion and I were having a meeting and they were very respectful of that and not at all intrusive while still managing to stay on top of our needs/clearing plates etc. Thanks, Odd Duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for birthday dinnerSophiaDined on 11/11/2014I took my boyfriend here for dinner on his birthday. Parking can be difficult but luckily I found street parking quickly. I made reservations a few weeks in advance but not sure how early is necessary. Food was great! It was a tasting menu so we ordered 6 items plus drinks and dessert. The soft cooked egg was by far our favorite. The egg was served over fried rice and shiitake mushrooms and when mixed all together - absolutely delicious. Dessert was also a stand out dish - the coconut rice pudding. Very tasty. Could have used a bit of crunch, but luckily we got a fun fortune cookie to crush into the pudding. I've been to other places that had better timing, but by no means was the service bad here. Overall, very impressed. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eh....not impressed.ShellyDined on 11/11/2014pretzel with bechamel: 3 stars butternut arugula salad: 4 stars shrimp salad: 5 stars chicken salad sandwich bon mi: 1/2 star Went for a lunch with friends. It started out fine, the waiter was pleasant. We ordered the pretzels and salad to share - both were good. Two of us ordered the chicken salad bon mi and couldn't finish it. The chicken was chewy and flavorless. I pulled it out of the sandwich and tried to eat the rest of the sandwich which was bland and dry. When the waiter came to clear the table he asked if he could box up the rest of the 'sandwich' to go. We declined and said we couldn't finish it. I even made a comment about still being hungry. He proceeded to pick up the plates and just walk away, not showing any concern.Special Features:
- Ok food for AustinJonathanDined on 11/9/2014We finally made it to Odd Duck and we're eager to taste the food after reading all the great reviews. We tasted pretty much everything on the menu and can't say there's anything on there that we would be dying to go back for. The decor and ambiance was awesome, but the food feel short of our high expectations.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent service!FoodisanexperienceDined on 11/9/2014We had 3 people with various food allergies and the waiter was able to acommodate everyone. The food was delicious! If we could prepare veggies like these at home we would eat a lot more of them. The meats were awesome, perfectly cooked and spiced with flavors that surprised and delighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intriguing tastesPablo2UDined on 11/7/2014I really enjoyed the variety of tastes to be savored. All were good and some had real heat. My one negative is (after several visits) that thematically, it's all over the place. Very fresh little plates from around the world from chorizo to flounder, foes gras to fried sweet potato; the menu seems a bit of a hodgepodge. So if your hungry and yearning for a filling meal, you might be challenged.Special Features:
- Ingredients!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014The person who delivered our food explained what was in each dish. Everything was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Love Odd DuckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014This was my 2nd visit to the restaurant - this time I brought out of town guests. They loved the food and wished portions were just a little larger. The only complaint we had was the noise level it was hard to hear each other talk. The waiter was awesome - making great suggestions and pairing what he brought out perfectly. My daughter is vegan so he was able to get a menu with suggestions just for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Food was great and service was amazing. Four of us shared two bottles of wine and 12 plates. Great for small parties like this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!newtoATXDined on 11/5/2014We had a fantastic time at Odd Duck! Food was great, our server helped us pick the best dishes, and the ambiance was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I would've been sooner!lfrank512Dined on 11/4/2014Took my family here for my sister's birthday. The vibe was great and the food was outstanding!!! I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed !SpringerDined on 11/3/2014This is one of the great new restaurants of Austin. Great dishes (all small, individually prepared with fabulous flavors, served "family style") served by really knowledgeable staff. Good atmosphere, very relaxed. Book ahead if you can (no same day bookings) as the line can be long!Special Features:
- Art as foodDaveAtTheWVIPDined on 11/3/2014The thought, preparation, and presentation of everything here was outstanding! Our server Tiarin (I'm sure I've mangled his name!) was outstanding. He fully understands the menu, and made outstanding selections for wine and small plates to share. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014We went for brunch on Sunday and the food and bloody marys were amazing! I highly recommend coming here for a fun and delicious meal.Special Features:
- Favorite Austin RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My current favorite restaurant! When I found out my friends from NC would visit for F1 I immediately made a reservation at the Odd Duck! Everything was perfect - from the easy Valet Parking, to the special table with the "Reserved" sign, service, to every tasty bite. We all enjoyed selecting our 3-4 items and sharing so many beautifully crafted tapas. A wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Don't miss itdine1Dined on 10/30/2014This place is just great. The food is sooo good. Great menu for vegetarians as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Dang GoodAlbertsFrenzDined on 10/29/2014The food was wonderful! The servers were friendly and knowledgeable. The chefs were very good and professional. The service was great. Overall fantasticSpecial Features:
- First visit and what a creative menu.KcameronSDined on 10/29/2014First visit and dined at lunch. Love the creative drink and food menu. My dining partner and I sampled several appetizer sized options and loved them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2014We felt as if the server was needed to describe each dish and when asked did so. Had we not asked we would not have known there was liver in a dish described as chicken. The food was OK for both of us, not great, and we probably won't return. I thick the hype was overdone on this new place. The atmosphere fun and service was very good.
- Very NiceLandlockedARLDined on 10/27/2014I'm really glad I went. The place was hopping when we got there (two of us) and we had a reservation but we didn't specify we wanted to sit outside. They quickly accommodated our request and gave us a great table. The menu is mostly a series of small "Tapas" type dishes. We ordered four of them and shared, and they were all fantastic. Fresh, unique selections. Nothing about it was cliche or standard. We were satisfied, but not stuffed. Just right. The employees seemed to genuinely like what they were doing, so the service was great. The wine list looked looked nice. I chose the house Red Zinfandel and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try in AustinmineVIPDined on 10/27/2014Saying it is a must try in Austin is saying a lot as there are so many outstanding restaurants (Barley Swine included). This one is now at the top of my list to take visitors to Austin to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/26/2014Fantastic! Small plates so you can try everything.Special Features:
- Outstanding Attention to detailfood4thoughtDined on 10/26/2014Went to Odd Duck for brunch on Sunday, took a friend from out of town. Unbelievable attention to detail; the bar seating is terrific, with full view of the half dozen cooks as entertainment. The manager stopped by to let me know the chef was working on special dishes for me since I had mentioned I'm vegan when they called the night before to confirm the res. He checked in with us several times during the meal. Every dish was creative, beautiful, and delicious. The bartenders were great to chat with about their 'barrel-aged cocktails' and seemed to have plenty of time to enjoy the diners. Nothing was rushed, but everything buzzed along. Fantastic experience, well-enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSAgalDined on 10/26/2014Great variety of brunch food, great service and ambiance. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant surpriseBrendaDined on 10/25/2014I must admit when I saw the menu online, I wasn't sure it would please my BF (he is a little picky). We had been to Barley Swine before and were familiar with the food quality and concept. Every dish was great from the pretzels, baked fish, taco, bacon, and the squash. We had to have dessert after seeing the kitchen guys make the desserts right in front of us. We enjoyed watching them make all the dishes especially on the wood fired grill. The drinks were great too from the red ale to Cory's coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. Mix that with unique and great tasting dishes, and you get one of the best dining experiences around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grrrreat!HateToCookDined on 10/24/2014Our favorite restaurant right now. This place is on the cutting edge with the creativity that goes into their seasonal menu. Loved them ever since the food truck days! The chefs in the kitchen are so much fun to watch. A well-oiled machine, indeed!Special Features:
- Unique and tastyDisappointedVIPDined on 10/24/2014Been wanting to come here but I live in Houston. Glad we tried you guys, unique and tasty creations! Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frankly5Dined on 10/23/2014This was our first visit. All the great reviews by our friends are definitely true. We were a little late due to parking but our table was set and ready for us. Reserving a table in advance is a definitely plus! The noise level was very high but we still enjoyed ourselves immensely. Thank you so much for the extraordinary food (excellent presentations), drinks and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.