Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6198582277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations Recommended; Thanksgiving - Closed; Christmas Eve - 5-8pm; Christmas Day - Closed; New Years Eve - 5-11pm; New Years Day - 5-11pm Easter sunday - 12pm -8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Langlais
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
Holiday Parties at the Oceanaire - An uncommonly tasteful affair. Call for reservations. As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)romantic (104)fit for foodies (96)good for groups (71)notable wine list (69)vibrant bar scene (37)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (23)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Decor and FoodDeevhDined on 10/23/2014The Decor in the entry and bar is nice and upscale, the dining room decor was bland. Banquet seating chairs, and table clothes too short so you could see the legs of the table next to you. Seemed like there were more folks at the bar than in the dining room. As for the menu, it was nicely appointed, but nothing special about it. Being a local, I am particular about where I eat. Ambiance and seating is important, but food preparation, presentation and taste are extremely important. The meals at our table were not notable for the price.Special Features:
- As Always.............bigmattVIPDined on 10/23/2014Wonderful dining experience, very gracious and attentive waitperson, Cynthia. Very patient with our settling on a wine selection. Twin lobster tail special is what attracted me; great value for only $39.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014Took Took out of town guest for dinner. Fish was fresh, properly prepared and delicious. My swordfish dynamite was great, filet and lobster tail excellent and my wife's sushi grade ahi was terrific. Huge desserts were also quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And you are?keeneyeDined on 10/19/2014We have dined at Oceanaire in Minneapolis many times. (Great Experience) Thought San Diego would be comparable but it was very disappointing. Our server seemed very rushed and inattentive. The parties on both sides of us were offered a sample from the Chefs tasting menu. We were not offered anything. The manager greeted many tables around us. We were not even acknowledged. Swordfish was dry and overcooked, coffee was cool, and the baked Alaska tasted of kerosene because the 151 rum was not burnt off all the way. Lack of hospitality and quality very disappointing for this class of restaurant.
- Romantic and AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Booked same day reservations, on the hunt for some oysters. Which they defintely had along with a great wine selection. Noted it was my bday and they defintely made it a great bday dinner for me. Will defintely be back next time I'm in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic spot!!KellyDined on 10/18/2014I had the best swordfish of my life. Prepared to perfection. My husband had the lobster tails. Everything was perfect. Would highly recommend this restaurant for good fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mesjmaDined on 10/18/2014Superb seafood. A bit noisy, and table too close to bar, but an overall enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinnerfamof5Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, atmosphere, and service. We were celebrating our family, being together, and especially celebrating our kids and their continued achievements in life. We had a great dinner and it was a very special evening. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best seafood restaurantsDateNightCoupleDined on 10/14/2014Had a business group for dinner. Everything from appetizer to salads to entrees were outstanding. Really awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but poor coordinationLKJCDined on 10/13/2014On the night we visited this finely oiled machine had sand in the gears. Our loquacious server did an extended spiel about the flexibility of the menu choices that are very interesting. However the wrong salad and a bad glass of wine were delivered and quickly replaced when we alerted the staff. For 20 minutes after the salad was cleared the server kept telling us that our main course would arrive soon, but by the 3rd 5 minute interval it became a joke. We ordered Creme Brulee for desert and after 10 minutes the server came back and apologized since the kitchen was short handed and failed to prepare the Creme Brulee for that entire evening but never alerted the servers. The dishes we tasted were great, we hope our next visit is better.Special Features:
- Food and Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The service was wonderful! I made reservations on-line and made a comment that it was our anniversary. They greater us by name, congratulated us and handed us our menu with Happy Anniversary printed on the top. The waiter helped us select our meal. The food was extremely good. We were given a complementary desert, which was a little over the top and the taste suffered because of that. However, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JbtequilaDined on 10/11/2014My fish order,(sea bass) was a bit over cooked and dry. I was expecting a much juicier seared piece. Also the service was not what I expected. The wait for the appetizer, the main course and surprisingly, the bill was much too long. The overall atmosphere and ambience was good and our waiter seemed to be a very nice man. I won't say that it was a bad experience, but I also won't say that it was that good based on the prices.Special Features:
- A San Diego favoriteSymilarianDined on 10/7/2014So many touristy seafood restaraunts in San Diego make this a real find. This is one of the few fine dining seafood restaurants in San Diego County. Bon ApititeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experience!MichaelVIPDined on 10/5/2014From the welcoming smiles to the smart decor to the great service and especially to the wonderful food, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Oceanaire. Oysters Rockefeller, jumbo shrimp, swordfish - all well prepared and presented. Wayne, our waiter, was attentive and helpful, as well as engaging in his small talk. We recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- GaryDined on 10/5/2014Great food and outstanding staff! Staff really goes the extra mile to please customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodgoodDined on 10/3/2014Very good, our service could have been a little better. We were waiting to pay forever. The food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shannon19Dined on 10/3/2014We have gone to Oceanaire many times and it is consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We always love the Oceanaire! Such good food and the service was great. Our experience was detailed with a personalized menu, recognizing our Anniversary and then give back to us at the end of the meal, rolled up, in a ribbon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!ThatsthefactJackDined on 10/3/2014Took my wife here on Friday nite as I had been to one in Orlando and thought it was outstanding. Well, she loved it, too! The Dynamite Mahi was amazing, melt in your mouth succulent. We had the swordfish too but weren't blown away - too dry for our liking. Crab cake was all lump and phenomanol. We had no idea it was restaurant week and they had a lot of selections on the preset menu it was impressive. But, unfortunately, this was why the waiter had a "turn and burn" mentality and his attention was lacking. The busboy was in a dumpy mood & had a smirk on his face whenever he came by...the hostesses were accommodating and nice. Despite the service being so so the food was truly outstanding and we'll go back and would recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVacation4lifeDined on 10/2/2014Always amazing food & service! Always fresh, perfect temperature, service above & beyond & overall ambience perfect every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love those Oysters!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014I am so happy we decided to go to Oceanaire during restaurant week! Plus we got there early so we sat at the Oyster bar during that wonderful happy hour - the Fanny Bay oysters were the best! The food was delicious, although I do wish the crab cakes were made from dungeness instead of blue crabs. Very nice place to bring family from out of town. Proportions and variety for Restaurant Week were quite large, and we left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodFoodieDined on 10/1/2014Came here during restaurant week. Food options were great and the service was wonderful. The food was amazing. Would definitely come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great little throwback...PickyDinerSDDined on 9/30/2014This was a pretty classic restaurant. Truthfully, I have expected a small swing quartet to strike up a song, or for the Rat Pack to wander in. The decour does a wonderful job of invoking a sense of older times without seeming dated, and the food was just as fresh and interesting as any other restaurant in the GasLamp, and extraordinarily good. The portions were modest, but frankly, with good food, too much is really too much. The service was prompt and definitely worth 5 stars, being a bit over-attentive at times but never pushy, and it didn't negatively affect my enjoyment of the meal. In fact, we sat at our table chatting for a solid hour or so after the meal was over, but never got a dirty look or a comment.Special Features:
- Great for restaurant week!EtonnanteDined on 9/30/2014I love coming to this restaurant - the fresh fish, delicious food, awesome service... I especially like Restaurant Week here as they still use their normal menu (instead of a sad prix fixe that is sometimes barely a shade of what the real menu is like at other participating restaurants) so it is a great deal! Still great food and service at this restaurant, even during that busy week.Special Features:
- Special concert, special dinnerAuntKatieDined on 9/28/2014Really looking forward to a fab dinner before the Paul McCartney concert. Booked table for two online after calling every Gaslamp restaurant. All were booked, but Oceanaire had a 5:30pm. Thought that was a fluke, so I called them. Host said they were fully booked. We arrived on time, expecting to wait -- but were seated immediately. Booths were full, but the floor was empty. Wonder why they said "no" to a 5:30pm? Probably lost a few turns that evening. Our waiter admonished us that they expected a rush, so we should order right away. Then he left and didn't come back for ages! Rarely came by during our meal (which was excellent) and couldn't wait to rush us off. Poor service, lovely space, good food. Our waiter was a bummer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done!BurlingtonBayDined on 9/27/2014Good and service were top notch - simply decadent. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Extraordinaire!!JeanieBDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I chose Oceanaire to celebrate our anniversary! Wow, were we impressed. The level of customer service is over the top! We got there early so had a drink in the bar which was totally fun to watch the assembly of the amazing shellfish platters. They were super busy but everyone was friendly and the service was very efficient. We informed the restaurant that we were celebrating our anniversary but didn't' expect to have our names printed on our menu. Very nice touch!! Beautiful dining atmosphere. Classy but not stuffy! Can't say enough about the crab cake appetizer! Delicious!! Rockfish Louis entree was outstanding! The key lime pie is amazing. Highly recommend Oceanaire. They made our anniversary extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Took my gf here for a date night dinner and it was fantastic. Ken was our waiter and he was very knowledgable and had great recommendations. Will be coming back to the restaurant for special occasions. Too expensive, for me, to be a frequent spot but worth every penny. Crab cakes and calimari apps are great. We had the mahi mahi and swordfish and both were fantastic. For dessert we had some cheesecake and some cookies, couldn't have been a better meal. The wine selection is astounding and ken recommended a wine that went perfect with both of our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ValueRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 9/27/2014Oceanaire was on our Restaurant Week list. First time at Oceanaire, but was very impressed on all fronts. Service was impeccable and Mike was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and offered excellent suggestions. The crab cakes were amazing, even got some to go. More Crab and less cake, with excellent texture and taste. The entrees were prepared very well and generous in size. Wine list is extensive with a very good selection by the glass. The oversized booths were comfortable, private and had plenty of elbow room for all. Plenty of staff, nothing was overlooked and none of the glasses ever got less than half full. A great meal and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing..frenchfan8VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our first time eating at the restaurant and had always wanted to try it. The famous crab cake was very wet and mushy, not sure it was bake long enough or what. Entree, the salmon, was just OK. Service was very good.
- San Diego Restuarant WeekTropicaleVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went during Restuarant Week. Had a great meal at a great price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had the best server Sean and the whole experience was great. Service was AMAZING and the food was even better!! Would go back in heart beat.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekESmith1Dined on 9/25/2014They offer a very generous menu compared to most for restaurant week and don't change the quality of food and service. Sean was an awesome server and helped us pick the perfect wine. Will be back to have the amazing salmon and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good First VisitskipVIPDined on 9/25/2014We went to Oceanaire with neighbors .. we live in downtown San Diego and had wanted to try Oceanaire on Restaurant Week to get a better deal. All the restaurants seem to have moved to $45 prix fixe which are not as good a deal as past Restaurant Week offers, and not as good as specials or Groupons they run. Oceanaire allowed a good subset of their standard menu as selections for the prix fixe, but many interesting dishes were excluded. Wine "pairing" and coffee ran the bill up substantially to where Restaurant Week at Oceanaire was no longer a good deal. There are a lot of good restaurants and some great restaurants in San Diego. Locals are always testing where they want to be regulars. Food was good, service was very good.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysSmartiDined on 9/25/2014have not eaten here in years but Oceanaire did not disappoint! while I had to get my favorite stuffed sole, it paled next to my spouse's Kid Dynamite: perfectly cooked Mahi Mahi with a spicy crab crust - absolutely delicious!!! our waiter was great, friendly but not obsequious, knowledgeable and efficient. my only criticism is that earlier in the evening when the restaurant was not yet full, the music was overly loud and rather imposed on intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service, To Die For FoodgypsygirlDined on 9/24/2014Our server, Kenneth, was attentive, helpful, friendly and said everything with a smile! He made our dining experience that much better. I've been here two other times, so I knew that the food would be absolutely delicious, and this visit lived up to what I remember. The fresh oysters were fresh, the crab cakes of course was on point, all of our entrees (as there were 4 of us) were absolutely heavenly as were our desserts, but specifically the homemade NY cheesecake. Great place for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fan FaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014If you love seafood, then Oceanaire Seafood Room should be at the top of your list. I love this restaurant and getting it at such a bargain makes it even better. Thank you for always raising the bar in quality and excellence.Special Features:
- Freshest of FishNotacookVIPDined on 9/23/2014A Fabulous Restaurant Week . The portions were so generous, the service at it's best, and the food outstanding. Asked for the fish medium well, and it was perfect. The sorbet trio was the best dessert. Upon arriving asked for a table in the corner since there were large parties around, no problem, accommodated us to a perfect table. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafoodLove2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014We went for restaurant week. This is a great deal as my entree would have been the same price as the $45 for restaurant week. I ordered a wedge salad (I tried the spinach salad with their balsamic dressing and it was much better), the drunken salmon and the key lime pie. The drunken salmon was the best salmon I have ever had. It was amazing. The key lime pie was good. The cheesecake was dry...I wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/22/2014I've dined here many times and consider it to be a very good consistent restaurant. A place I will bring my customers to enjoy a fresh quality meal. We went during restaurant week but ordered off the main menu. The food was wonderful as always BUT the service was fair at best. I don't like to complain but they were under staffed for restaurant week. I needed to repeatedly ask other staff members to get our server to move on with our meal. It took over 3 hours for a party of 8 to complete the meal. The server was friendly when he was with us which unfortunately wasn't enough.I would recommend this to a friend.