Oaxaca Kitchen - New Haven
228 College Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Oaxaca Kitchen - New Haven
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oaxacakitchen.com/
- Phone: 2038595774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Prasad Chirnomula
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Custom Tailored.
- Private Party Contact: Bruice Bennett 2035245960
- Entertainment: Contemporary Latin Music
A word from Oaxaca Kitchen - New Haven
Oaxaca Kitchen - known for its seven moles and for its one of a kind gourmet traditional Mexican cuisine. We offer real food of Oaxaca with great presentation by our celebrity chef Prasad Chirnomula. To name a few great dishes like Mixteco Mole, Fire Grilled Seafood Salad, Mole Verde, Mixteco Chipotle Pork Tenderloin, and Prawns Al Mezcal which makes a destination for all the food fanatics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oaxaca Kitchen - New Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- SuzanneVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food was good though I was disappointed in the carnitas which were not prepared in an "traditional" fashion. The carne asada was tasty thiough a buit dry and overcooked to my liking. The quesadilla was generously filled with cheese and was quite good. I was surprised to see it was very slow at lunchtime so hope it picks up.Special Features:
- Good food Great drinksAZtoGNDDined on 7/12/2014Spending 24 years of my life in the southwest, I'm very judgmental of Mexican food. The guacamole and chips were very good and the passion fruit frozen margarita was amazing. I also tried a variety of the soft tacos and really enjoyed the vegetarian.
- Good food - poor serviceNDAADined on 6/21/2014We had a large group (~12) and the dinner started out well. I can't complain about the food. However, we ran into many issues with the service - I don't want to blame the restaurant itself, but our waiter was not competent in working with a larger party.
- So yummyNomNomNomDined on 6/7/2014The food here is to DIE for. It's not overpriced, which is nice. Ask the waiters for their recommendations, trust me you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best in the world.DaKidJoeyDined on 5/17/2014My steak was bad. The appetizer were incredible. The waitress didn't know how to open a bottle of wine, we had to show her, but the margaritas were fantastic. I've had better luck in the past at this place but this time I was underwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Casual Family Dinnerkate68Dined on 5/16/2014We were staying in New Haven for my son's graduation and having all our meals in the Study, which was great. But came here for a change of pace. It was an easy walk and close to campus. The flank steak with mashed sweet potatoes was truly outstanding. I can only eat meat when it's rare and I ordered it rate and they did a beautiful job. Highly recommend that dish. we were able to sit in a big booth which was the perfect family spot and very comfortable. Think were five people and that worked really well. Service was friendly and easy. Think everyone liked their dishes.Special Features:
- NewhayhayDined on 5/10/2014They forgot about our food and then charged us full price with no compensation and it was terrible
- Worst service I've had in years.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014We showed up 5 minutes early and didn't get seated until almost 20 after. When we finally got our table the the man who led us to it was very cold and off putting. Once seated it took about 25 minutes for the waitress to arrive and she took our drink, appetizer and entree order all at once. We then waited another 20 minutes, when a server showed up with only my entree, not my gf's. he then seemed puzzled at why I was asking what happened to our app and drinks, he then left and came back with both entrees. I asked him to take them back and get our app to come out first. We got out drinks and app and my gf got the wrong drink and mine tasted terrible. When they brought our entrees back out they were cold. I will never go back to this place.
- The following 237 reviews are from the Oaxaca Kitchen - New Haven reviews archive.
- No Coffee!HNC52Dined on 4/6/2014The meal was fine, the wine decent, the staff friendly and professional. Upon ordering desert, the waiter asked if we would like coffee. We said yes. The waiter returned a few minutes later to say they didn't have any coffee. First of all, why offer something that you don't have. Secondly, if you want people to order dessert, coffee should be a no brainer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodCherylDined on 3/11/2014I took a group of 8 people from around the world. We had strict vegetarians and people who only eat carbs and meat. One likes spicy food, another wants no heat at all in her food. Everyone was very happy. It was a Tuesday night, so relatively quiet -- easy to have a conversation across the table.Special Features:
- YummyTacoPeopleDined on 3/2/2014The food was better than most Mexican places. Tacos were basic but good.Special Features:
- Hidden gemKathiPaulDined on 3/1/2014Wow! Everything we wanted and hoped for and more. Great location, directly across from Shubert! No driving or walking in the cold. The seating was up in back in a cozy spot. Lighting was great. Menu was perfect and everything, drinks, service and food was great. Food was by far some of the best Mexican I've EVER had. Prices great too. Defiantly a treasure spot. We will be back MANY. Times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud for dateValentineDinerDined on 2/14/2014The dining room was overcrowded, we were on top of the two tables next to us, and could not have a conversation or hear eachother. The waiter gave us a dessert we didn't order, and when we told him this (after 10 minutes of it sitting in front of us) he picked it up and put it onto the table next to us (gross!!!). Service was slow but workers were pleasant.Special Features:
- I wish I had better news...IeatthereforeIliveDined on 2/6/2014... But this place is terrible. The food is mediocre at best. Needless to say, I was expecting something much better from the same management as Thali and Thali Too. Very disappointing.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014The service was terrible; it was very slow and we had to order our drinks twice from 2 different people. The food took forever to come out, and they ran out of rice! How does a Mexican restaurant run out of rice?! So, I had to wait and it eat that after my taco. And they didn't even take it off our bill, which they should have done. The veggie taco was good. The rice and beans were bland.
- DisappointingBigBearDined on 1/19/2014The website menu looked very interesting and the NYTimes review was enthusiastic so we were amped up. The server was competent and cordial but the food was a big letdown across the board.
- Great restaurantMlm77Dined on 12/28/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Oaxaca. The food was very good, the shrimp was a quite a bit spicier than expected (and was not noted on the menu), but everything else was great. The guacamole was great, just sad they don't bring you more tortilla chips, they certainly should be without extra charge as they are in most Mexican restaurants but the waitress didn't even ask if we wanted more. Salsa was very good also. Drinks were pricey but delicious. Overall we really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a fall back place for pre theaterdollladyVIPDined on 11/22/2013We have eaten here twice now, both times very happy. Traditional Spanish food, very well done. We also felt it was an excellent value for the cost of the meals. Pleasant staff, upstairs is nice and quiet and can't beat the location - right across the street from the Shubert. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- open table did not workOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2013This is for open table not for the restaurant: our reservation was not communicated to the restaurant. Had i not confirmed and had it not been a Tuesday night, 10 people (a business dinner) would have been in search of a place to eat. Not happy! Oaxaca was very polite about it however and very accommodating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Mexican foodtransientDined on 11/9/2013Thoroughly enjoyable place, excellent/interesting food, superb service - an excellent choice before theater, given the prompt food preparation and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 13FurmansDined on 11/2/2013We had a large, unwieldy group of 13 (including 3 young children), and the staff handled us efficiently and were very attentive. The drink orders took way too long, but the foulup was acknowledged and addressed without our complaining. The food excellent, as usual, but particularly in view of the large group, it was delivered hot and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Guacamole!luv2dineoutDined on 10/12/2013Oaxaca is a fun place for Mexican/Southwest food. The food is tasty and the service is attentive. They offer guacamole made at your table which is wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCrystalWDined on 8/23/2013Looking for something that was trendy and romantic, a few of my girlfriends and I found Oaxaca. The food was great and the variety of choices for frozen margaritas was impressive.Special Features:
- Get the arepasnil0Dined on 8/2/2013The food and service were very good plus and the arepas were worth going there to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caliente!Eater5VIPDined on 7/26/2013We had a delicious lunch while visiting downtown New Haven. Host was very friendly and hospitable. The food was delicious and well prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Service a little offrbrushDined on 7/14/2013While the food was still good, the service didn't seem up to par as in previous visits. The waitress didn't know about some of the items on the menu because the selections were new. One of our party complained about a mixed drink the bartender had prepared. I woould go back again, but the restaurant came down a peg or two in my eyes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2013Online menu looked good. From the outside it didn't even look open 745pm on a Saturday and it is very small inside 9 tables total + bar. We were told they had just changed the menu. Ordered chips & salsa/pico, chicken fajitas, & 3 tacos. The tacos only arrived first; Nothing else came. Waitress walked by but never asked how things were. I had to ask a waiter to check on the rest of our food. Told the ticket for the fajitas didn't print but they'd be out asap. Still no chips & salsa. We were offered a free dessert, and they brought the wrong dessert out. To top it off we never got the chips & salsa but they were on the bill. Unfortunately, the service was so atrocious that we won't be returning, even though the food was good and authentic.
- not your typical Mexican restogrkmomDined on 6/28/2013My husband and I went to Oaxaca for dinner on Friday. We sat outside and it was a lovely evening. We shared a seafood salad as an appetizer. It was plenty for 2 and was quite tasty. My husband had the fish dish which happened to be salmon. It was nicely presented and the sauce had a little kick without overpowering the salmon. I had the chile rollenos and they had a much stronger kick. But they were delicious and the heat was manageable if you like spice. It was a nice change from the fajitas and taco fare of a lot of Mexican restaurants. We will probably go again, especially to take advantage of the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Really fast service!MacfeltyDined on 6/21/2013Best enchiladas I've ever had- lobster. The food came so fast I don't know how they had time to cook it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish GuacStefoaxacaDined on 6/19/2013I always come here for the tableside Guac! I also loved that they were able to seat us outside even though we didn't reserve it in advance! Very accommodating!Special Features:
- great spot for MexicanVisitorfoodieDined on 6/15/2013Oaxaca serves good food with friendly service. Only one dish disappointed, but the gazpacho was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenusshelleyDined on 6/2/2013Fresh ingredients with good portion size. The drinks are generous as well. A perfect spot for a meal before or after a show at the Shubert because it does not close its kitchen midday on weekends. Staff is always friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Restaurant seemed to be aBethanyFoodieDined on 6/1/2013Restaurant seemed to be a shell of its former self. Food was acceptable but unimpressive for the price. Overall it seemed to not know if it was a bar or a restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Food /Horrific WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2013We brought friends to Oaxaca in New Haven for dinner, because we had enjoyed lunch at the Oaxaca in Westport. Our waitress ruined the experience for us. She was so incompetent it became comical. She did not write our order down. I did not get my appetizer. I had to reorder it. The other 3 in our party had long finished theirs when I got mine. A requested glass for beer never came. Our table guacamole had to be reordered. She asked if we wanted coffee and dessert when we hadn't received our entrees yet. This comedy of errors could continue for another paragraph. The food at Oaxaca is very good. We would love to make it a regular destination. (We eat out a lot.) We definitely won't return, however, due to our experience.Special Features:
- It's is a good place to meetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013It's is a good place to meet friends and have taste food. There is space for huge tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff was pleasant butCooksterDined on 5/5/2013The staff was pleasant but had to be reminded to bring utensils for each course. Then the appetizers and main meal came at the same time. The food was just good, nothing special. I ordered the lobster enchilada had such tiny pieces of lobster, it was hard to tell if it really was. Tasted good but not like lobster . My husband had the orange mole chicken which also tasted good. Both entrees came with nothing else. No beans, no rice, nothing. We didn't get any tortilla chips with our cocktails because it was Cinque de Mayo and they weren't giving them out. We also ordered Sangria which was wine with diced apples in it. I will say the margarita layer cake was delicious though. Over $100 for he 2 of us and not satisfied.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2013I ate here on cinco de mayo. The management apparently didn't anticipate a crowd. Tje staff could barely keep up. No one was mamaging the door to welcome new guests. We waited for quite a while before being seated. There were empty tables because they couldn't keep up with guests leaving either. All that would have been fine, except The food was disappointing. I think they identify more as a bar than a restaurant. Had a nice drink menu, and the drinks were great. They entree menu was miniscule, and more american than mexican. The appetizer menu was good. I would suggest getting appetizers and drinks and call it quits at this spot. Not recommended for dinner.Special Features:
- Good Mexican with a twistJasonVIPDined on 4/26/2013Good food. Quality tequila. A nice blend of standards (taco, quesadilla, etc) in the apps, plus a good mix of quality mains with a Mexican twist (duck, chiles, chicken, etc). Would probably avoid during Reataurant Week as most New Haven eateries tend to be overwhelmed during that time. Otherwise a solid option.Special Features:
- We are not experts on MexicanOldaustrianDined on 4/26/2013We are not experts on Mexican food and don't go out for dinner very often. However, we did expect something special given the renown of the chef who also owns the Thali restaurant. As it turned out, the dishes (which were certainly more sophisticated than in run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurants) were served tastefully but not particularly tasty. The main course was accompanied by a very ordinary serving of Mexican rice and bean sauce. The service was rather ordinary, too. The interior of the restaurant is rustic, and one does not feel cosy. The price for the three-course dinner, $32, was not exactly a bargain. One the whole, this was a disappointing experience.
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/24/2013Dined here for the first time on Wednesday eve of restaurant week. We were 30 minutes early for our reservation and expected to wait, instead we were seated right away. Oaxaca Kitchen was an all around excellent experience. The staff was friendly and attentive, and the food was outstanding. Both my date and I started with ceviche appetizer which was amazing. I took a risk and ordered the chicken mole entree (I've had both both fantastic and terrible mole dishes in the past) and was not disappointed. Neither was my date, his enchiladas were fresh and tasty. I am not a huge dessert person, but the churros and tres leche cake we shared were also excellent. If you are in the mood for modern mexican cuisine, go here!Special Features: