NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto
400 Stanford Shopping Center
Palo Alto, CA 94304Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/stores/store.jsp?storeId=24/PA&_requestid=39687
- Phone: 6503293329
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Saturday: 11:00pm - 4:00pm; Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Craig West
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Tell us what you desire and we will assist.
A word from NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto
Delight in upscale contemporary cuisine served in a bright and airy atmosphere at the Palo Alto NM Café®. Before you dine, unwind with a cocktail or glass of wine from our full bar. From creative sandwiches to regionally inspired entrées and homemade desserts, you'll savor delectable fare all served by our warm and welcoming service staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (23)great for brunch (10)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)Show More
- Enjoyable ladies lunchLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Love the chicken consommé and popovers with strawberry butter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good news/not so good newsout2lunchDined on 7/30/2014Was pleasantly surprised by friendliness of staff and smooth organization. Food fell short of expectation--a bit boring, unimaginative, greasy. Next time will stick with salad.
- waiter's attitude?NMloverDined on 6/28/2014I was served wrong dish; however, the waiter argued with dominating attitude, saying that's what he heard. This kind of mistake happen often and it's not big deal... they can simply change the dish the client want. My Saturday brunch with friend was spoiled a bit.Special Features:
- necoDined on 6/14/2014It was very good ! Quiet friendly service ...good bread very good salatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Those popovers!!!ST247VIPDined on 6/12/2014Delish food but where did the tuna tartar with avacodo tower go? That was my fav! Food consistently good, lovely salads. And thos popovers, can't get enough. They are evil!Special Features:
- ...a culinary delight!DiogenestheSearcherVIPDined on 6/7/2014...it's been a few days since a friend and i had lunch here and i still wake up, dreaming of the amazingly wonderful freshly baked popovers, that they serve gratis (along with a demi-tasse of consomme) instead of bread. i had forgotten how wonderful freshly baked popovers could taste - a glimpse of paradise. my friend had an exquisite sandwich with home made chips, that she greatly enjoyed; i had a wonderful salad. the service was welcoming and impeccable! am already looking forward to my next visit there.Special Features:
- Special lunch for two ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Food quality excellent. Service gracious. A bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NM Still tops for Ladies Who LunchAllysonYJDined on 4/25/2014When I was a girl in Dallas, lunching with my mom at Neiman Marcus's Zodiac Room seemed the height of sophistication, with hot consommé served in china teacups and a big warm popover served to every guest along with strawberry butter. Many decades later, I'm happy to report that the consommé and the popovers are still being served to the Ladies Who Lunch at the NM Café at Stanford. I was again lunching with my mom and my cousin, and around us were other mother/daughter combinations (some with the look-alike/dress-alike doll in attendance also) as well as a number of lady shoppers with friends or with husbands. The food itself was a bit ordinary, but the friendly, attentive service and nostalgia factor still made for a fine time.Special Features:
- The following 27 reviews are from the NM Cafe at Neiman Marcus - Palo Alto reviews archive.
- DisappointingSonoma4VIPDined on 4/22/2014It seemed like no one was paying attention when putting together the saiads. Both that were ordered came with no dressing, poorly assembled and not tasty. The service was "ok" but not attentive and the butter was taken away while we were still eating our popover. I won't rush back.
- NM Palo Alto cafeShopperDined on 4/19/2014We had a lovely time dining for lunch. Customer service was excellent. The food was excellent, just right for fun day at Stanford Shopping Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weight Watcher FriendlykathleenDined on 4/2/2014If you are on WW, this is the place to have lunch. Easy to stay on plan. Menu has calorie count.. Would recommend the grilled shrimp salad. Service wonderful, food consistantly good. Great place to meet for lunch and then do a little shopping.Special Features:
- Love This Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/18/2014Moved to the area a few months ago and this is the best restaurant I've found yet! Quality, innovation, and attention to detail! Food prepared with love!Special Features:
- Shop and Dinebear2dineDined on 1/25/2014The food is good not wonderful. I ordered the trio salad. The lobster salad was so good, the egg salad was ok. The chicken salad was poor. This is my third time at the Neimans Palo Alto location. The San Francisco location is superb and Walnut Creek is also very good. But three times I am sorry but must say just ok. Then my granddaughter age 6 ordered the spaghetti and it was terrible. She drank 5 cups of their consume. Popovers are delicious. I will return but only because for the Shopping Plaza, It is still the best of several choices. The service is so slow.Special Features:
- OUSTANDINGFabulousDined on 1/23/2014Popovers to start with a little taste of chicken broth....nice touch.Special Features:
- Best Sweet BreadMaitreeVIPDined on 12/24/2013The shrimp salad was superb. The deserts were fantastic especially the lemon cake. But the best part of the meal was the fresh baked bread with strawberry butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the Mood for ShoppingbillieVIPDined on 12/7/2013Very pleasant lunch prior to doing my Chirstmas shopping. I always love the consomme and popover. Happily the strawberry butter wasn't a frozen, unspreadable lump as it was on my visit to the SF NM Rotunda last month. I had the turkey club which was very satisfying, followed by the warm chocolate bread pudding with a bourbon glaze. All in all, a really nice lunch which prepared me for an equally enjoyable shopping experience. Well done, Neiman Marcus!!Special Features:
- Delicious and elegantRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 12/6/2013The Cafe at NM does a lovely and delicious lunch with a flair that makes it nice for a special occasion. Tasty food, nice variety of options, calorie counts so if on a diet one knows what the calories are. LOVE the popovers as a starter. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service is very poor.IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/1/2013The service is very poor.I asked for small plates, she never bring it, She is not friendly. The food is okay, with the price they charged is not worthy.
- Popover was the highlightLovetolunchVIPDined on 10/29/2013to a very ordinary chicken pesto foccacia sandwich lunch. Half a sandwich for $14.50 is a bit pricey, so I hoped every bite would be scrumptious. Not so, and the corners of the faccacia were dry. But service was great, and the popovers and consume and truck show models that drifted by made it a pleasant ladies out. BTW, my friends enjoyed their grilled cheese.Special Features:
- Neiman Marcus Cafe Palo AltoAnonymousVIPDined on 10/3/2013The Neiman Marcus Cafe's grilled shrimp salad is my favorite, but Chef Craig West has outdone himself with his lobster grilled cheese sandwich and truffle fries! The Cafe Manager, Sepi Farsad and her team provide exceptional service. The Neiman Marcus Cafe in Palo Alto is the best kept secret for dining at lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchot4jtDined on 10/3/2013Met three friends for lunch. It was hard to choose from the many enticing things the menu. Best if all, we could hear our conversation. Lots of places in the area offer great food, few allow for conversation which after all is why we don't eat alone. We'll be back to NM Cafe for our next lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Getaway2dineDined on 9/28/2013Enjoyed the menu selections and excellent customer service. Making reservations on Open Table made the task very easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to have lunch orHLC1VIPDined on 9/27/2013Best place to have lunch or a shopping break when at Stanford Shopping Center. Nice atmosphere, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful LunchMalbecVIPDined on 9/17/2013The popovers, as always, were delicious! Very good meal and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NM Cafe is the best!NotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 8/15/2013The chef at NM Cafe is doing incredible things with the menu. Shopping never has been better :-)Special Features:
- NM is first rateNotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 7/31/2013Neiman Marcus sells beautiful clothes and has a top rate cafe. The ever famous pop-over is pure pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific but it looks oldRavenVIPDined on 6/29/2013Just like the Walnut Creek location the food is fantastic. The menu is a bit different but they still have great choices. Unfortunately since I went to the Walnut Creek location first and was wowed by it ... the Stanford location looks old and crusty by comparison. It could use a renovation. So from an ambience perspective I thought it was just barely above a school cafeteria but it still has the terrific cuisine. Oh and one nice thing about the location of the restaurant within Neiman Marcus ... is it's set back behind a wall so it's very quite and private from the shopping experience ... which is very nice and is frankly an advantage over the Walnut Creek location.Special Features:
- Mother's DayLocalladyDined on 5/12/2013It was a great place for Mother's Day for a couple of mothers (one on lunch break) whose children were working or too far away to take the mom's out. Service was good, server was attentive, food was tasty (but a bit overpriced) and the restaurant was full of happy people. Popovers were a delicious surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to take a shopping breakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2013I've been going here for years to take a shopping lunch break. I find the staff to be exceptionally warm and they do put in a good effort to be of service. However, I have always found the service to be a bit slow, so if you want to get back to shopping promptly, remember to ask for your check to speed up the process. I find the food here to be good, not exceptional but good. I do love the fact that they have healthy options on the menu and list the calories of each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for elegant lunch!KarenDined on 5/1/2013We had terrific service, from the check-in to the bread person to the waiter. All were friendly and efficient. The menu has many healthy options and includes calorie counts. I chose the trio of salads, and all three mini-salads were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Great place for a nice lunch"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013"Great place for a nice lunch" It was just wonderful, we were five of us, the food was soo good and we could have a conversation with each other, because it was not noisy, great wine list too, looking forward to go there again. ReneeSpecial Features:
- Horrible service ruins meal!!FoodLoverVIPDined on 3/22/2013I have always enjoyed settling into the Neiman Marcus Cafe's consume and popovers, as well as many of their tasty salads and sandwiches, but the one thing that has always left my experience less than satisfying at the Palo Alto Cafe is the horrible service. A slow kitchen and a clueless wait staff time and time again make what I hope to be an enjoyable lunch with friends and/or family a huge disappointment. This past visit was no different, in fact I would argue that it was the WORST it has ever been. Not only did my food take 1 hour to come after ordering it - but my waitress informed us over and over again that our lunch "would be coming right up" even though she knew she had forgotten to put in our order. I won't go back!
- Very quiet dining room. Foodtq525VIPDined on 2/23/2013Very quiet dining room. Food is good, but nothing special. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- food was good, but think itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/27/2013food was good, but think it was an off day. the salmon dish was not great and salmon was overcooked, but the soup of the day was delicious and so was the burger. love the french fries that came with the burger and of course the chicken consomme and popovers are great!!Special Features:
- A great hidden spot, alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/16/2013A great hidden spot, always good food and excellent service.Special Features: