Nippon Tei Japanese Restaurant
14025 Manchester Rd
Ballwin, MO 63011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Nippon Tei Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nippontei-stl.com/
- Phone: (636) 386-8999
- Hours of Operation:
Tue - Thu: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Fri: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sat: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sun: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Nippon Tei Japanese Restaurant
A Japanese proverb says that if you have a pleasant experience of eating something that you have not tasted before, your life will be lengthened by seventy-five days. One evening at a sushi bar could add years to your life.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nippon Tei Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Food was delicious and very affordable. Service was great too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Excellent for and service. First time and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLBDDined on 9/17/2014Great place to eat and get together with friends. Everyone can find something to eat here whether they like sushi or not. Great bar area and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to enjoy sushiMargaretAWEDined on 8/27/2014Friends and I went to Nippon Tei to celebrate my birthday with lunch and we were not disappointed! I used to go regularly but had not been in some time due to a relocation of my workplace. To my surprise and delight there were many new menu items as well as old favorites. The new dishes have a contemporary or fusion spin to them. We tried the white tuna ceviche, the fried squid fingers and the tuna sashimi, as well as a wide selection of nigiri and maki. All were delicious, with unbelievably fresh fish and generous portions. The service as always was spot on and the atmosphere very pleasant, with bright, modern decor and jazz music in the background. Nippon Tei is a ways from my home in North County, but well worth the drive.Special Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the Nippon Tei Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We have been going to Nippon Tei for many years. It is a great place and the addition of the lounge made it even better. The open table reservation was so easy to use...even same day for 7 people. We got the center table in the lounge, which I think is the best table in the house. The food was excellent. Try the Hamachi Kama. This is the fried yellowtail jaw. Many Japanese restaurants do it, but non as well as Nippon Tei.Special Features:
- Best sushi in St. LouisMrsBDined on 6/13/2014Whitney makes the most delicious sushi! It was a delight to sit at the sushi bar and talk to her as she made our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi in st. louis!tedfromstlDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I have been here sevwral times and love the sushi. We had the teryaki salmon each time and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!Joelle1123Dined on 5/16/2014This restaurant is a must try! The food is amazing, service is great, and a wonderful atmosphere. I do not even eat sushi and can always find something on the menu that I like.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementstitoVIPDined on 4/23/2014Food is good, can't complaint. My sashimi was fresh, the rest of the group had different rolls, all happy with it. Exception, is service, we were ready to leave before someone took our drink orders.Special Features:
- Outstanding!LauraDined on 4/5/2014I asked my Facebook friends for a recommendation on a sushi restaurant in West County, and Nippon Tei came back as the clear choice, and I totally agree! The spicy tuna roll was the BEST I have ever had, hands down. All of the dishes were not only delicious, but each plate was a beautiful presentation as well. We have just found our new favorite sushi place!Special Features:
- More kid friendlyGloryDined on 3/28/2014I was a little frustrated when we were told they were out of high chairsdispite having a reservation and when asked no one knew what the desserts were. And they never came to refill our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnertitoVIPDined on 3/26/2014Service and food was excellent.. Great suggestions from wait staff and food was great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining for 2STLFrogDined on 3/15/2014We made a reservation for two. We had never sat on the bar side of this restaurant, which seems to be much quieter and low-key. That was fine for us, but the table setting was unique if you weren't prepared for it. They were Asian inspired low tables with bench seating. This table made it a little difficult to lean over eating sushi, especially for my 6'3" husband. With low tables, it almost would have been more comfortable to sit on the floor. Otherwise, the food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushi, horrible serviceilsemanDined on 3/8/2014We were first sat down at a table with stools and no backs. Was not comfortable and asked for new seats. Ordered and food came. Food was very good. Some of the best sushi in town. However, 1/2 way through meal, a large group of 22 people came in and consumed the entire area. They didn't have them all sitting together and they were running around taking pictures, being loud, etc. On top of that, our service declined. They had 1 waitress for the bar and 1/2 the restaurant. We never got our drinks refilled and had to track her down to get a check and pay it. I would get this sushi to go anytime, but unlikely will dine in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushiekd3Dined on 3/1/2014Favorite place to go for sushi. It has a wonderful atmosphere, great pricing, and delicious, unique sushi rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, especially the sushi,Rayd8Dined on 2/28/2014The food, especially the sushi, was very good. It had been a while since we had gone previously, but we were pleasantly surprised how good the sushi was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushimobrien118Dined on 2/15/2014Nippon Tei has some innovative and delicious sushi, as well as great preparation of the classics!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi and fun atmosphere!heatherandmeemoDined on 2/14/2014The food here was great, the service was a bit slow but we went on Valentine's Day and they were extremely busy. The restaurant was very neat and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014Sushi was very good as usual. We were a group of 11. Most of us ordered sushi. Sushi chef was considerate that they made sure everyone got at least one roll in the first round, when the regular menu food came out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/2/2014From presentation to taste the sushi is the best I have ever had. The staff is knowledgable and friendly. This is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Highly recommend the ManchesteriluvzinDined on 12/31/2013Highly recommend the Manchester roll (large portion for the price) and the lobster roll. We went there for New Year's Eve and the place was obviously busy so the service was a little slower than normal but the food was hot and excellent and we were not in a rush.Special Features:
- Best JapaneseLadyDiDined on 12/31/2013The food was fresher, seasoned better and tastier than the Japanese restaurant we usually go to. This is our new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Year's DinnerChrisDined on 12/31/2013We've been going to this neighborhood sushi spot for years. On New Year's Eve, we enjoyed their delicious crab rangoon, their special new year's roll and, of course, hot sake. The food is always great and the servers are always friendly. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group night outbigpixsureDined on 11/23/2013We were 6 people, out for a birthday dinner. It was fun and everything was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Good but not greatRickVIPDined on 11/15/2013Have dined here before and had mixed experiences. Needed a place that has sushi plus some other food for a non-sushi eater. Service was slow throughout meal including a more than 10 minute wait to even get a first visit from our waitress. Sushi was good with a few interesting rolls, but I have had better. Actually miso soup was highlight. Others had cooked Thai food that they liked. Would go back, but not rush back.
- Sushi/sushi rolls "fair"BeverlyDined on 10/5/2013... food only fair, but a nice atmosphere. No issues with service. no decent wine choices for those that know wine.
- Yum!op123VIPDined on 8/11/2013Best sushi..everything wonderful. Excellent, friendly service.Special Features:
- Fresh FishHoffstirDined on 8/3/2013The food here has amazing fresh sushi. I eat a lot of sushi and the spicy tuna rolls are the best! Not only is it fresh, but you get a lot of the tuna, its not a small portion, but a large amount in the roll. Get to the county and enjoy this special place. Worth driving to this spot wherever you are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy foodSweethomechicagoDined on 6/22/2013Ordered a bento box, chirashi, baked Manchester roll, and tuna tartar. All were very delicious. The tuna was quite spicy, but I like spicy. The bento box was a very good value for the quality, variety and amount of food. Chirashi was off menu, but good value and one of the best I've had in a long time. It had been a few years since our last visit to Nippon tei - I don't know why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.