Mother in Law House
500 South Main St
St. Charles, MO 63301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mother in Law House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.motherinlawhouse.com/
- Phone: 6369469444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our banquet room seats up to 80 people and is available for all manner of events.
- Private Party Contact: Donna 6369469444
A word from Mother in Law House
Fine Dining in a Casual atmosphere with friendly service. Enjoy your meal in our Victorian dining room or our river-view patio. The entrées at the Mother-in-Law House are prepared to order and made from the best ingredients. The owner, Donna Hafer, has been pleasing guest here since 1981.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mother in Law House reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (10)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (8)great for brunch (7)good for groups (5)scenic view (3)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- MarshallVIPDined on 8/16/2014Everything was great! Met the owner and she was such a pleasure to talk to!
- Still greatChrisMVIPDined on 8/15/2014We have been here several times and each time is always a comforting and lovely experience. We had dinner during the Festival of the Little Hills craziness so it was a little louder than usual but the patio is always pleasant. Donna and the rest of the staff take great care of you; the blueberry muffins are amazing and the salad bar in the dining room is just the right size - not too much stuff but enough to let you feel like you are in charge. The dessert pie is a national treasure, make sure to save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd Little PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/13/2014Charming old world decor and the owner was really nice. But, not a place I would visit again. Seemed like it was an off day. Stayed for a drink which they struggled to get right and appetizer - which was really bland onion rings then left. It maybe that their target audience is an older crowd?Special Features:
- Glorious!DiscriminatingDinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014We so enjoyed our return to Mother-in-Law House and the beautiful hospitality by the owner, who founded the restaurant 33 years ago. The menu is diverse and well-priced. The service was attentive and genuinely caring. The salad bar was delightfully retro -- a treat in every way. And the blueberry muffins are to die for! Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- KateDined on 6/27/2014I dined with my three sisters. Each of us determined we had the best salads we had ever had. The ambiance is precious and our server was kind and accommodating. This was our second visit; we will return whenever in the St. Louis area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014I have been dining there for years. It is a local favorite and it is important to support the local businesses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twingirl2014Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I enjoyed the place for our anniversary. It had a friendly staff, especially the owner. The homemade salads were delicious and the peach cobbler was very yummy. Our only concern was with the Chicken Cordon Bleu. It tasted like it was from a box not homemade like everything else. I would still recommend the place to friends and family and perhaps order a steak next time if we were to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JNOS55Dined on 5/27/2014Mother in Law House is our favorite of all restaurants!!! The best in St Charles!! We are 3 hours from there & go at least once or twice a year!! The owner is a Jewel. Always knows us!! Needless to say..this is our favorite restaurant anymore & we go alot & have lived in numerous states. It's our FAVORITE !! Will go again this year!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 314-223-8271yopapaDined on 5/24/2014there were four of us for dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed this dining experience. Our waitress was great and very funny, the owner made us feel at home. The whole experience was very homey and delightful. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- What a find!ndfan1Dined on 5/11/2014We were looking for somewhere in Old St Charles for a nice Mother's Day late lunch. This restaurant was suggested and I am so glad we went. Charming decor, good food, and the two delightful ladies that waited on us, made us feel so comfortable, I wished we were staying for breakfast! We will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Impossible -JeanScottDined on 5/11/2014would not recommend. We had reservation and were seated 30 minutes late and that was after we asked why they would not seat us when the place was practically empty. It was dark and looked just plain old like it had not been redecorated in 30 years. The waiter commented on the length of time it would take to make a hamburger well done (like we should change our mind) Even though the place was practically empty, most of the food arrive cold. I would not go back again.
- Mother's Day lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We had reservations for 6. We did have to wait about 15 minutes for our table. I was a little concerned that the menu mostly had dinner entrées, but we were able to order a soup and sandwich combo. There didn't seem to be much of a selection. However, the food was fabulous! The server we had could have used some help that day. She was elderly, and had to bring things out a little bit at a time. But she stayed on top of the drink refills, and overall did a nice job.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceChuckDined on 5/9/2014Had a great time. The food and service were both excellent. Have been there many times and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb liver and onions1904steakhouseDined on 5/9/2014Went to Mother-in-law house for an early mothers day dinner. As usual, the liver and onions are the best I have ever had. My wife got the special chicken Marsala, was great. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the Mother in Law House reviews archive.
- Welcome homeElslibDined on 5/3/2014The Mother in Law House is an old stand by in historic St. Charles and it is a gem. It is old fashioned, somewhat shabby, but still wonderful. The menu is limited, but all good old fashioned comfort food. Who still offers home made pea salad on their salad bar? And it was delicious. The best part is the "mother in law" herself. The hostess is so sweet and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blueberry Muffins and SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2014Blueberry Muffins and Salad Bar were great. Very friendly and personal staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NightPappyDined on 3/25/2014We've been dinning at The Mother In Law for years and will do so as long as it's in business. We love the food, the attention givin to the customers and the history of the area. For us it's a place to go to get away from the business and noise of other restaurants we go to. It's our "Special Gettaway Place.Special Features:
- table for twoktdidDined on 3/13/2014The restaurant was very nice. It was a good intimate dining room. The woman that owns it was very hospitable. I would definitely recommend this to any one going on a date night. I know I will be back. We both loved it! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Top PickMaciDined on 2/28/2014For homestyle 5 star meals nothings beats Donna's cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic CharmerSteelblueDined on 2/15/2014I've said this before about a a couple of restaurants, but here is one that rises to really quaint in all senses of the word. Old, established, comfort food oriented, homey, gosh you name it: this little place is an original gem. The owner, Donna patrols the dining room with hot blueberry muffins, and HUGE slices of Coconut cream pie. They have a signature rice dish-interesting but not killer-and the usual potatoes, and veg. Yes there's a salad bar with old world (think of your German relatives) relishes and creamy poppy seed dressing. They have very traditional entrees, salmon, beef, pork, done in traditional ways. This place is on the smaller side so I'd suggest a reservation, and I'd also suggest that you check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a very historic homeTellieDined on 2/15/2014This is a very historic home pre-civil war and for the last thirty years a local restaurant. If you are look for something other national change restaurant, warm and charming. The food was excellent four stars for our group. TellieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food - Great portionsGoodFoodGuruDined on 2/15/2014Terrific food - Great portions - Wonderful service - Treated as though we were part of the family - My wife had the cranberry pork special and I had the Filet Mignon, both were excellent - The Coconut Cream Pie rounded out the perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great For CouplesFlorissant1952Dined on 2/14/2014This place is great for dinner with your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice People Average FoodGmanDined on 2/14/2014I was disappointed in the entrees. I had a strip steak that was tough. My wife had the special "primed rib, and it was a very thin cut, which resulted in being over cooked. It was Valentines, so I was hoping for a more special setting. The venue is very old, the hostess (I believe she may be the owner) was very nice, but our server wasn't very efficient. I liked the salad bar items, but don't really like having to serve myself. Would suggest they ask you what you would like from the salad bar.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Almost everyone in the place was older and it seems that most were regulars. We felt a little out of place. The food was fine and it was certainly quiet. The owner walking around handing out muffins and side dishes was a nice touch. I thought it was overpriced for what it is, though.Special Features:
- Had been too long!ChuckDined on 2/13/2014I asked my wife where she'd like to eat for Valentine's day and Mother in Law House was her first choice. It had been a while since we'd eaten there but true to form the food was Great and the service was Outstanding. Thanks for a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Welcoming RetreatLucyJrDined on 2/13/2014The food, wait staff and ambiance were all excellent. It is refreshing to have lunch without a TV blaring and intruding upon conversations. The owner, Donna Hafer, makes it a point to greet her guests and is genuinely warm and caring. The members of our group all loved our dining experience and are returning next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCoaster19Dined on 2/12/2014Went here for the first time for Valentines day and was very impressed! I did not feel that they were over priced for something special. The atmosphere, food, and the kindness of the owner made it feel like home! Well worth anothe trip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gost WriterLarryDined on 2/8/2014The Mother in Law House is located in pre 1800 house which reportedly has a ghost (the Mother in Law ?) who occasionally has been seen. The dining experience is very "homestyle" with the owner, Donna, coming by your table to serve vegetables and side dishes. The dining room is very small and intimate. The food is delicious as is the wine. It is all very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!lindasueDined on 1/25/2014Food quality ranged from fair to very good. The service, hospitality and charm more than made up for it though! We felt as if we had been invited into someone's home the way the owners treated us, amazingly friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/16/2014This is the first restaurant I have ever been too where you can talk to the owner and get served by her! Her rice, carrots and especially the muffins are to die for!! Every item on the menu I have tried is delicious! Their salad bar has many great dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felt very warm and comfortaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013I rathered enjoyed the atmosphere that I was being taken care by the staff from the owner down. I always enjoy when members of thestaff take time to check on you and talk about the history of the rrestaurant. Plus the food was very good.Special Features:
- AWESOMEjoniDined on 12/18/2013This is my favorite place to go during Christmas. The staff (although always extremely busy) is gracious and addresses your needs immediately. I love the charm of the owner, greeting you at your table and providing you one of her homemade muffins. She makes you feel at home and no matter what stress your day may have brought she seems to be able to set a calming atmosphere with just a muffin and her smile. I have been here many times and no matter what I order the food tastes like a homemade meal and is always very good. I have never been disappointed. What else could you want with the great ambiance of the charming Mother In Law house, wonderful food, great service and the genuine welcome each person gets from the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one complaint ....PrincessDined on 12/18/2013One of our party found a bit of plastic in her onion soup ..... The rest of our group enjoyed the salad bar, warm muffins, the hamburger and chicken cor don bleu! Would definitely return in spite of the soup issue ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.. Friendly atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2013Great service.. Friendly atmosphere... Feel like you've come home for a dinner at Mom's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and courteousKittyDined on 10/23/2013One of my only complaints is that I wish the overall portions were larger for the price. The bowl of soup I received (vegetable beef) was highly delicious, but I feel it was more of a "cup" sized portion rather than a bowl. An exception is the coconut cream pie slices. They come in moderately large slices and are fantastic. The dining area is exceedingly lovely and gives one a very old fashioned nostalgia. The waitstaff is impressively attentive and polite. The main hostess makes you feel very welcomed and expresses sincerity when making sure you are comfortable- she even asked if the room temperature was too our liking. If I want to take a dear friend or family member to dinner again I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The owner came to each tableretiredgalDined on 9/25/2013The owner came to each table with food samples and told a little story about where the recipes came from. She is a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedtravelerDined on 9/24/2013We were very disappointed with this restaurant. We especially made the trip to dine here. The food was very poor and not what we expected from the descriptions in the menu. The server was incredibly inept, as if he had never waited tables before. We are not fussy eaters, and rarely complain about any food served to us, but we will not dine here again nor recommend it to anyone.
- We had a group of 6 people,pacplaceDined on 9/4/2013We had a group of 6 people, we sat on the patio and it was very charming. The waitress was friendly, accommodating and gave great service. I had the seafood salad and it was excellent! Its one of those things that i will crave and have to make the trip back out to St. Charles for. Thanks for a great visit!Special Features:
- Menu small, smelled mustyslimshadyDined on 8/29/2013The house is old but it sure smelled musty inside the restaurant. They have a 'salad bar' but the only things on it were iceberg lettuce and a bunch of mixed bean and pea types of cold salads, sauerkraut, fruit cocktail and whipped mousse dessert. Menu was small and portions were not generous. Wine selection by glass was very small. Everyone was very nice but the food was mostly fried.