333 E. Benton Pl, Ste 100
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mezcalina.com/Home.html
- Phone: 3122405000x
- Hours of Operation:
Coffee Shop Hours:
Sunday: 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Monday: 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tuesday: 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Wednesday: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Thursday: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Brunch 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Dinner 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Lunch 11:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Dinner 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00 pm.
Dinner 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner 4:00 - 10:00pm
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mezcalina
Upscale Mexican Dining in the Lakeshore East area of Chicago. Come experience the authentic flavors of Mexico and a Mosaic of Ingredients from its different regions. Our bar is fully stocked with more than 140 tequilas and 70 mezcales.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mezcalina - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Mezcalina reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (13)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (11)scenic view (7)good for groups (6)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Tight SeatingLunchDined on 9/16/2014The food was amazing and I love Mezcalina, but the seating is just too tight. I was practically touching elbows with the table next to me, and couldn't really have a private conversation with my boyfriend without the table next to us hearing what we were saying.Special Features:
- Service was poorPoorservDined on 8/23/2014We had guest from out of town and were very unhappy with the amount of time it took to get our dinner. My husbands Over cooked my guest was served cold beans. Took an hour and 15 mins. For the dinner to arrive. Would not recommend this place. I won't go back again..Special Features:
- Fantastic!DaveCVIPDined on 8/22/2014Read prior reviews and went anyway...we are glad we did! The food is fantastic; noise level was just right; and service was fast, friendly and knowledgable. We asked the waiter about noise level complaints and he advised that if it is too loud just ask and it will be turned down. This is a great place, we will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great Guacamole!mascotgirl1Dined on 8/17/2014The food was wonderful! The Guacamole was delicious! And the Tequila flights were smooth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too hard to find!JimPVIPDined on 8/15/2014If you are coming from the Harris Theatre or the park, this place is too hard to find. The music on the inside is too loud if you are over 35. The outside is really not set up for dining.
- MezcalinaPrincessVIPDined on 8/14/2014The service continues to need improvement. The food is superb. The music is too loud for a small environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait, Wait and Wait Some More!Jaki2JakiDined on 8/11/2014The food is tops, excellent. However, no meal is worth waiting 1 and 1/2 hours to be served. The place was at about 50-60% capacity at dinner. Our drinks and chips arrived within 15 minutes. We order simple dishes, but waited 90 minutes to get the food. I complained 3 times before getting results. Only one wait person too. They did not charge us, but I would have paid double instead of waiting, waiting and waiting some more. We experienced the same bad service on a Saturday. On the positive side, lunch service is quicker. However, I doubt I will return. It's not worth the aggravation.
- Better with new menuTonyDined on 8/3/2014I was a little apprehensive about going back here after one mediocre experience a while ago and some very negative reviews, but it was a much better experience this time. They recently changed their menu to offer more familiar options, including spicy choices (always my personal preference) they didn't offer before. The rib eye dinner fajitas were wonderful. Their specialty guacamole was a treat. Not so the spinach quesadillas, which were way too salty. And they had my favorite Mexican beer, Bohemia, which is usually hard to find. The service was polite, speedy and almost a little too attentive, unlike previous reviewers comments. Only major issue was the way too loud canned Mexican pop music that was very conversation-unfriendly.
- RaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Went here after a race. Had excellent margaritas. Looking forward to going back
- Way to Loud, food not so good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014Went here on 4th of July, had reservation but still had to wait half an hr past the reservation times. Food took forever, just way to long and it wasn't tasty either. Way to dry, the only food that was great was guacamole.Special Features:
- Terrible servicejimnDined on 7/4/2014When your food finally arrives and then they take it back to fix everything they messed up, its edible. 2 tables were seated when we arrived, food came 45 minutes later and half was incorrect. Also took 40 minutes and 4 requests just to get rice and beans for kids to hold them over. No apology, no comments from the waiter on manager, just a quick drop of the check and then he disappears. Then to make the experience even more insulting, they added 20% gratuity to the bill (5 adults, 1 infant). Food was not worth the price, the terrible service, or the hotel lobby atmosphere.
- Tacos to live forINRAEDined on 6/27/2014Everything on the lunch menu looked great...!!!! I wanted try it all but didn't have the time... I had the carne? the shredded pork tacos... It simply melted in your mouth.... Yummo ... Tortilla soup is the list for next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Loved this little place! The margaritas were wonderful and my fajitas were delicious. The service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper scale MexicanPackagingmanDined on 6/10/2014I was disappointed with the quality of service. Food took too long. I ordered the lamb and it lacked flavor. For the price what I had was not a value.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/4/2014This is the 2nd time we've been to Mezcalina, and it was great yet again. The food is wonderful, and the service friendly and attentive. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 64 reviews are from the Mezcalina reviews archive.
- One and done...goodfoodonlypleaseDined on 5/10/2014Should have read the reviews on this place before heading there. I found them to be very accurate. Check their reviews on yelp to confirm my opinion. Start off with the good...our server...of staff, he didn't try to talk about us, in Spanish, to the other servers like the rest of them. They even made it seem like we were an inconvenience to them, despite being more than half empty at a very reasonable hour. The food - the food was good, and came in big portions, but not great. They label themselves as "upscale Mexican," but I'll have to disagree. Growing up in Chicago, there are many better options in this price range/vicinity. In the end, our group made our dinner/night, not this restaurant..this place is a one and done for us.
- Charming but slowWinnieVIPDined on 5/8/2014Love this restaurant. Decor is edgy with great art. Menu is so much more sophisticated than your typical Mexican faire, absolutely delicious, and artistically presented. Now if they could just get their act together on the service. Even though we were early and the restaurant was not crowded, the service was painfully slow. Also, the parking validation was a complication causing further delay.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/4/2014Go for the drinks and guacamole. Drinks are made really well. Food has been a let down the past few times I've dined. Slow service. Will only return for the drinks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine, service not greatEatchicagoVIPDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I went for the first time. The food was pretty good, nothing amazing but good. The service was not great. Our server was friendly but rarely came to check on us and he was often talking and laughing with the other servers in the front of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Mexican optionChidinerVIPDined on 4/24/2014The enthusiastic and friendly service, excellent margaritas, and well-prepared and flavorful food make this a great choice for Mexican. Parked free in the Mariano's garage after picking up a few necessary groceries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food has this authenticGigiDined on 4/11/2014The food has this authentic taste of Mexican flavors! Its takes you back home or allows you to have a great experience by endulging good Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- random, happy choiceatsfromcleveDined on 4/6/2014Lovely spot with a high quality, reasonably priced brunch selection. The diner next door Eggy's was overrun with a line out the door and I have no idea why folks didnt walk into Mezcalina like I did. Great service, great coffee, Mexican brunch & drinks for adults, pancakes etc. for the kids. Will have to return to sample the dozens of kinds of tequila they featured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2014The food was good but it was lacking in truly distinct flavors. It would have been better if the sauces and guacamole had more spice and depth of flavor. The drinks were excellent and our whole party was satisfied with their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Really Does MatterFirstimerVIPDined on 2/22/2014I don't write reviews unless there's something notable. Unfortunately, Mezcalina was notable for its poor service. Their decor, menus, and vibe give a great first impression. That impression evaporates when the service is so bad. Don't sit at the rear table near the kitchen - waiters witll bump your chair to get through. We waited 20 mins before any water was brought or greeting was offered. After ordering, we waited 40 mins before being told that our order was "lost" and we needed to reorder. Appetizers frinally came 15 mins. later. To cap it off, it was my friend's birthday, and I indicated so on the reservation - but there was no candle or song with dessert (even though another birthday received that treatment). Service matters!
- Definitely not 'Upscale Mexican'OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014Bit of a comedies of errors on the whole. They sat us right next to the front door which would open with new patrons. The wind gust was freezing. Very cold. When we asked to move the waiter was nice but the host was obviously not happy (about twenty minutes after we moved, they had to move another couple from the same table - why they kept seating people there is anyone's guess). The guacamole was good. Interesting and a decent portion. Disappointed in the tortilla chips. For 'Upscale Mexican' I expected far better, perhaps even homemade. Otherwise, my meal was ok. My girlfriend is a vegetarian...basically, don't go here if you are a vegetarian...practically everything on the menu has meat product.
- OasisdocbartDined on 2/15/2014In the New East Side there are not many reasonable options for a unique atmosphere, excellent food with creative combinations, not so romantic since there were a lot of families there with kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bullNjamesDined on 2/14/2014Unlike the bull over the entrance, the food and drinks were great and no bull. Cool spot.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!! HiddenBarks1959Dined on 2/14/2014What a nice surprise!! Hidden gem in a Low Key location, but really good up-scale Mexican fare. Pleasant upbeat vibe, not at all pretentious. My wife had the duck in mole sauce. Sliced duck and a beautiful sweet/spicy mole. I had the lamb shank served in a Banana Leaves "boat" of delectable mint salsa. Side dishes are carefully chosen. Presentation is outstanding. Plates, glassware and serving dishes all gracefully designed augmenting the presentation. Killer marguerites!! Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican. Love theFeedbackVIPDined on 1/22/2014Upscale Mexican. Love the duck and octopus dishes. Great blend of ingredients--flavors. Beautifully decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Hidden Gem!bellmariVIPDined on 1/12/2014This amazing restaurant is tucked away near the park in Lakeshore East, but I encourage everyone to make the extra effort to come and enjoy. The authentic Mexican food is delicious and extremely fresh. The atmosphere is like a fun art gallery. The service was fantastic - knowledgeable and friendly. We plan to return often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food close to homeCGF330VIPDined on 1/10/2014This was my third time here and as always food is top notch! I have tried everything on the menu and everything is great. Staff is helpful and knowledgeable. Fabulous cocktails and a great selection of wine. I will be returning again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mezcalina ExperienceZZTOPVIPDined on 1/2/2014The menu was somewhat limited. Our appetizer and dinner choices were all very unique compared with typical mexican dining. The lamb was very tender and flavorful as was the stuffed pablano. We would have liked to have more description of the food options either on the menu or from the staff however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2014We were the only people in the restaurant. Service was less than good. Food was okay. Ordered the steak taqueria without cilantro. Literally got a plate with three corn tortillas with steak inside. Nothing else, no garnish, nothing. Guacamole and chips were good though. Probably would not go back.
- New Years Eve Dinnerluv2dineDined on 12/31/2013Very disappointing! We were given a very limited menu to begin with (I'm assuming it was the New Years Eve menu). We were then told none of the fish entrees were available as they did not have a fish delivery. That took away over half the dinners on the menu. The available entrees were a chicken or steak dinner which were adequate at best. There were no options if you are a vegetarian. We were hungry when we left! The drinks were very small, weak, and expensive. I asked for a strawberry daiquiri which they had no idea how to make. I suggest sticking to beer or wine as you will know exactly what your getting. The only bright light was our waiter - the food took forever and he did his best to make light of the situation!
- great food... not thier best nightrev114VIPDined on 12/23/2013I love this place but picked a cold night near the holidays. Place was almost empty but waitstaff was inatentitive. As usual the food was great...try the fried grasshoppers that are not on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013I read the good reviews and bad before visiting. The food was excellent ! The sauces were perfect, The Guacamole s -(3 of them) were amazing. The salsas were tasty - I truly enjoyed the experience. We were meeting some family member who got lost trying to find the place and the wait staff was understanding and not at all pushy about us waiting for them to arrive before ordering. I will definitely return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique upscale MexicanSteveDined on 11/30/2013I have been to Mezcalina twice and enjoyed both times but it is not your typical Mexican restaurant. The dishes are unique and, though somewhat expensive in my opinion, they certainly give you enough to eat. My favorite dish so far is the octopus - it is amazing. My wife thought the lamb too spicy, but I enjoyed it. If you go you will not be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Oaxacan cuisineRetiredTraveler01VIPDined on 11/10/2013Artfully prepared dishes that originated in Oaxaca, with an updated spin on ingredients and presentation. Outstanding flavors throughout the menu. Lovely art on the walls but the interior space leaves a great deal to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itDashVIPDined on 10/5/2013We went there because we couldn't get a reservation for Mercadito. The food is TEX-MEX, although they get offended if we ask where are the tacos and frijoles. The price is ridiculous for what we ate, the guacamole was decent but nothing that great. Best thing was the expresso.
- The food has a great home-madeale1234Dined on 9/22/2013The food has a great home-made taste. I would really recommended, just keep in mind that the music is latina and a little loudI would recommend this to a friend.