Merriman's - Poipu
2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka Street #G-149
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Poipu
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8087428385
- Hours of Operation:
Fish House: Dinner Daily from 5:30pm-9:00pm (Reservations Recommended)
Gourmet Pizzas & Burgers: Lunch/Dinner Daily from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Arriola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are able to do group events at the restaurant or off premise. Call us and we will be happy to provide for your function.
- Private Party Facilities: We can handle small group functions up to 30 people or the restaurant is available to be bought out for the evening seats up to 110.
- Private Party Contact: Kristina Colburn 8087428385
- Entertainment: Merriman's Gourmet Pizza & Burgers : Every Wednesdays 6-8pm
Merriman's Fish House: Every Friday 6-8pm
- Special Events: Feel free to contact Kristina via email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on our special event offers.
For any buyout inquiries, please contact Danielle Kuck at 808-446-8043
A word from Merriman's - Poipu
Chef-Owner Peter Merriman has brought his unique style of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine served in a casual yet elegant setting of Old Hawaii Plantation. A pioneer in the "Farm to Table" concept, Peter serves only the freshest products, at least 90% of which are locally grown or caught, using only sustainable methods. His international menu items are prepared in a manner that highlights the natural flavors of these fresh, local foods. Located in Poipu, we feature both mauka (mountain) and makai (ocean) views as well as sunset veiws over the Kukui'ula resort. The aloha-friendly staff, with a food and beverage knowledge second to none, will ensure that you have an extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Merriman's - Poipu - Best Restaurants in Koloa ›
Merriman's - Poipu reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (73)special occasion (64)romantic (60)fit for foodies (57)notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (32)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (17)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- A Tasty ExperienceMichaelBDined on 9/12/2014We had the ahi poke was fantastic and better than the lobster ceviche. The kale and butter lettuce salad was refreshing and spot on. The New York Bone-in steak had great char flavor, cooked to perfection with the sides of beets, garlic mashed potatoes, and garlic broccoli bringing everything together with pungent tastes. My wife and I split everything listed and we brought home enough of the entree for a small lunch the next day... which was great again!Special Features:
- Lovely Hawaiian diningLives4MaineVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great surprise, we usually enjoy the bar downstairs, but for a special anniversary celebration with friends we ate upstairs. Lots of TLC by the servers, the food was delicious. Pricey, but what dining on Kauai isn't? I would pass on the Mai Tai next time ~ Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked fishOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014For the price you pay you would expect a food to be delicious and mouth watering, it wan't not, my supposedly "seared" fish was very overcooked.
- Wonderful 30th anniversary dinnerlivingthelifeDined on 9/8/2014Our original choice for our special dinner booted us for a wedding, so we chose Merrimans instead, and we couldn't be happier about it. The food was wonderful. And the sunset view was amazing. Our appetizers were the clams and a beet salad. I splurged on lobster, my husband tried a duo of fish, seared ahi and opah. Th seared ahi was unbelievably good, I would go back again just for that. We had a beautiful brut rose cremant d'alsace which paired wonderfully throughout the meal. It was the most expensive meal we had, but it was well worth it. The Pakula coffee that finished the meal was dynamite. All in all a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetoeatVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is a great new place that we explored at the recommendations of friends - it held up to everything they said! Great food, wonderful ambiance and a romantic dinner for our Anniversary.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningLoveKauaiDined on 9/6/2014What a perfect place to spend our last evening in Kauai. The only disappointment was that the purple Molokai sweet potatoes were taken off the regular menu and we missed the special menu they were on the night before. Didn't notice the malasadas on the dessert menu last year, but were to full to try them this year. Will need to plan better next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special dinnerEleeleGirlDined on 9/5/2014My partner knew Merriman's from Waimea and we chose Merriman's Poipu for a special dinner when we visited Kauai. We picked our time to be seated before Sunset and had a fabulous view of the Sunset and got great photos of the view. Service was outstanding and responsive. My vegetarian entree was great and just the right amount of food. My partner order a lamb plate: roast and chops. One was a little tough; both were tasty. The location is very well done and a place very much worth a visit. There is a good vibe to the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dacashvtDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food! Prices aren't too bad, especially for Hawaii, considering the quality and portions. The chocolate purse is delicious and I'm hard to impress with dessert. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Love it!aztravelguyDined on 8/22/2014Love this restaurant!!! The food is always fabulous as well as the service. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Very expensiveAshleyDined on 8/22/2014Ordered two drinks, orderves and got free bread 70 dollers plus the tip food was okSpecial Features:
- Great food and viewMerrimansDined on 8/21/2014The dinner was delicious, drinks great and watched the sunset from our table. Not a bad seat anywhere in the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceMiceVIPDined on 8/17/2014Not as good as Merriman's in Maui....ambience is very different
- Not an eating crowdsantarosatouristsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Too many noisy babies. Really just about ruined our perfectly good meal. They need a policy to handle this. It's unbelievable Merrimans would let a screaming toddler take over the place. Finally, the people got their meal packed up to go and left, but too late for us. The food and presentation was wonderful, but we might as well been at McDonald's.Special Features:
- peffer1Dined on 8/15/2014Durong a recent stay in Kauai we dined here two times, the first night and the last. Each dinner was exceptional. Portions are generous aand allowed is to share each thing we ordered.the clam appetizer was put of this world. The service was friendly and spot on. We would have eaten there again if we had extended our staySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for food lovers !AGVillageDined on 8/14/2014Exquisite taste & textures. Surprisingly delightful since the views alone are worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best dine in HawaiiRedeiriderDined on 8/13/2014Great food and very nice options "of the day". We had already been in Maui, at same level!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to eat here every nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Everyone from the chef to the wait staff cares about the good served at this establishment. The freshest of the fresh ingredients prepared in unique ways to perfection. Even the cocktails were something to write home about. Was hoping to revisit this spot after the first meal, but now having regrets for not making that happen. Guess it means I'll just have to go on another vacation soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but priceySunnyDaysDined on 8/8/2014We had a really nice meal here. Every table except 2 had families with children, mostly large groups. Just keep that in mind if you're looking for a romantic dinner for 2, might not be the right place. Good service, though not exceptional. Food was excellent, my salad made with island butter lettuce was one of the best salads I've had- I think the secret was in the dressing. Fresh fish, lobster, all good. I ventured out and tried the taro balls, and confirmed that mashed taro is not my thing. Desserts were scrumptious, we tried several. Room stayed cool with open windows and ceiling fans. One downside is the expense; I think Merriman's is overpriced for the big family atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Good food in KukuiulaOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the few of choices on the island after 9pm. Merriman's is consistently good across all of his resturants and does a good job with the local fish e.g. MonchongSpecial Features:
- JazManaDined on 7/29/2014Food was amazing! We got the Kobe beef and Uku specials respectively. Steak was out of this world, melt in your mouth, delicious! The uku sat in a brown butter bath that tied the entire dish together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- onolicious food-fantastic service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Outstanding, friendly service! Choke aloha and totally professional waitstaff! Mahalo nui to Jared! Food was onolicious and arrived very quickly! Definitely one of my favorite special occasion spots on island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent--bestfood on the island!!lil1sdrDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I went to this place two years ago--it was fabulous then as it was this week. Its hard to find good food on the island that isn't just fried food and burgers. Knowing where the food comes from--even better. Organic, locally grown--although you are in kaui its surprising there are so few restaurants that actually cater to foodies. This place delivers on many levels! My husband loves fish that isn't tuna and there were multiple options. I am a vegetarian--there were many options for me too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and wait staffKathyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Merrimans clearly uses as many Hawaiian items as possible. Given the lusciousness of the local produce, fish, and livestock, this is a really good thing! There is a great deal of imagination and skill in the kitchen--we will never tire of the incredible variety of Hawaiian fresh fish, but it was fun to have it prepared so creatively. Everything we ordered was perfectly cooked and presented. Wait staff is incredibly skilled and very personable. Also, one person in our party forgot a valuable personal item in the restaurant and they tracked us down to let us know before he realized it was missing. If only we could live in Hawaii and go to Merrimans every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal on the Poipu/KauaiBiewelDined on 7/17/2014Tried various "better" places on the Poipu side. Outstanding service and food. Nice setting overlooking greenery and ocean. Not enough room to write a detailed review but definitively best place on the Poipu side. Went to Red Salt as well and while we enjoyed it on a previous visit it fell way short this time. Menu at Merriman's is innovative, not over loaded with choices, well executed, very well selected wine list, service very attentive. Some of the seating could be some what improved but nothing major!! Well worth the money!!!!Special Features:
- Perfect All AroundrarelygetsoutDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I chose Merriman's for our 15th anniversary dinner, and could not be happier. The appetizer; lobster ceviche was amazing, which led us into main courses of seared ahi and macdemia crusted monchong. Our waiter, Jared was about as friendly and professional as could be. To end the evening, we had the chocolate martini-very good and truly the show stopper was the chocolate purse with mac nut ice cream. We agreed it was one of the best dinners we had ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has come in to its ownKaty44921VIPDined on 7/7/2014Locally sourced, organic, amazingly high quality food with elegant flavor all fused together. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST MEAL IN KAUI!MrsRVIPDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I with our 2 kids absolutely enjoyed our meals in this restaurant. The wait staff are very attentive and nonintrusive. I would say that we had the best Poke in all the Hawaiian islands ( having visited Maui, Oahu, Kona and Kaui)! My husband ordered the t bone steak and it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten!! Truly a gem for foodies and the place is kid friendly too. Definitely, on our list to visit next time we are back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner of the honeymoon!ElizabethDined on 7/1/2014We had a great night at Merriman's Poipu. The service was great, and the food was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricedowntownseaVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food was good and well-presented. The waiter was young and arrogant but oh well. The setting was beautiful. But the prices really weren't justified by the portion size and the types of food. Yes, it was good food, but even for a special occasion night (which it was for us), I think we could have done better.Special Features:
- JHi@MMJeHiVIPDined on 6/29/2014Food was great. Followed the special recommendation (fish from same day catch). Friendly and competent service.Special Features:
- Must dine!Partyof2Dined on 6/29/2014My wife and I truly had an amazing experience at Merriman's. The service was incredible, the food was out of this world, and the view could not be beat. Was the perfect location for some before and after shopping at the local spots! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best fish we had in Poipu!VikingKingVIPDined on 6/28/2014Fish was cooked perfectly. Also the bread is wonderful! Cocktails were good but too sweet however. Tables with ocean view out on balcony were more romantic and felt like a different restaurant. Empty at 9.30 PM (like most places in Poipu) so reserve before 8.00PM!Special Features:
- Monchong and malasadasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Merriman's is by far the best meal you can get on the island! Kui, our waiter, offered sublime service. The food runners delivered plates with delicate precision while reciting everything on the plate. The view includes both the ocean and mountains. But then there is the food. The fish is so fresh, the presentation so lovely you hate to take the first bite. I was convinced that I wanted the monchong, but after hearing the daily special...Hawaiian Sea Bass crusted with Dungeness crab and parmesan, served with two jumbo Hawaiian prawns, seafood risotto cakes and chili-spiced broccoli...I opted for the special. It was so good. Expensive, but worth every penny!Special Features:
- Great food.....alwaysbeareVIPDined on 6/24/2014It's Merrimans, you almost don't need to say any more. Fantastic food and service. My favorite is the Ono. I make a point to dine here every time I come to Kaua'i.Special Features:
- PilatesladyDined on 6/24/2014Excellent fresh local food! Beautiful atmosphere, great service! A must if you're visiting Kauai!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/23/2014What a great fiind! We loved the pupu tasting platter and thought it was a good idea to have a Duo Plate for the entree --- that is, two half servings of different fish preparations.Special Features:
- Merriman's PoipuKauaiLoverDined on 6/18/2014This is a must do for anyone visiting or living permanently on Kauai -- especially the South Shore. The food is excellent and the service even better. As is the case in many upscale restaurants -- especially in Hawaii -- the wine is very much overpriced, but the selection is excellent. The ambience is quite romantic with views of the ocean and magnificent sunsets. If there is any potential drawback it would be the sometimes noise created by the enthusiastic screaming of young uncontrolled children cavorting on the adjacent grassy area below and between Merriman's and the next structure. All things considered though, this is one of the premiere choices on Kauai for dining.Special Features:
- Would absolutely eat here againMdsrhannaDined on 6/15/2014This was my husbands and I's second time dining here, and I look forward to the next time we are able. We had the same server both times (Jarrod) and he is wonderful! Very attentive! We only eat here for special occasions as it can be pretty pricey but we thoroughly enjoy it everytime we do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Food at merrimans is always spectacular. Great view and even better service. Tiare our server was great recommend her if can get her. Everyone was super friendly and very attentive at the table from water refills to replacing silverware between meals. Manager on duty came around to see how things were which is always a plus when your face to face with management. Definitely would recommend merrimans and will be back next time in kauai. Can't wait for the Oahu shop to open. Thanks again for a wonderful night.
- Perfect dining experience!ErnieEddieDined on 6/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Merrimans! We were vacationing on Kauai for our honeymoon and they offered us a beautiful booth for 2 and complimentary prosecco to start. Our server was excellent! The sampler appetizer is a must and for entrees the ahi and the mahi mahi were superb. So fresh and paired with seasonal, unique sides and sauces. We only wish we had left room for dessert! When we return to Kauai, we will be sure to return to this fantastic establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.