Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
1 Bay Club Place
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8086696400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
Point Bar Hours: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:59pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30-1:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman and Neil Murphy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will create a menu specifically for you and your event. We are capable of doing small intimate groups of 25 or up to a large group of 250. We will use the same philosophy in preparing your group's food as we do in our restaurant. Fresh, Local, Sustainable, and Delicious!
- Entertainment: We provide live music 7 days a week starting at 5:30pm and ending at 9:00pm.
Sunday - Wednesday: Ranga Pae
Monday: David Wolf
Tuesday: Phil and Angela Benoit
A word from Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
Chef/Owner Peter Merriman has transplanted his version of Hawaii Regional Cuisine to this beautiful ocean-side location in the Kapalua resort. He uses only the freshest products of which 90% or more are locally produced or caught, using only sustainable methods. Peter has always been a front runner in the "Farm to Table" concept. All food is prepared in a way that highlights the natural flavors of the food. We have a very friendly staff to ensure that you have an incredible dining experience. Their food knowledge is among the best in the industry. All this is in the most beautiful location within the resort, right on the water where the most incredible sunsets are watched nightly at our oceanfront winebar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui - Best Restaurants in Kapalua ›
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (253)special occasion (232)romantic (224)great for outdoor dining (185)fit for foodies (157)notable wine list (117)hot spot (66)good for groups (53)vibrant bar scene (49)neighborhood gem (49)kid-friendly (25)great for brunch (24)late-night find (15)great for lunch (13)Show More
- Awesome RestaurantNYCDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is our first time at Merriman's and we can not wait to return! We will get there for the sunset next time!
- Good, pricey meal - best for sunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our first anniversary here based on a local recommendation. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a res before 8:15pm so we missed the sunset. Thus, our 'scenic' experience was sort of meh. We shared the poke app, which was good but way too salty. For dinner, we had the Mahi Mahi, which was also too salty, and the Ahi, which my husband really liked. And, since it was our anniversary, they served us a complementary flower less chocolate dessert. Server was very good! attentive, timely, and courteous. Overall, an ok night, just not as spectacular as I had hoped. There are other, much less expensive places on the island that have consistently delicious, flavorful food (i.e., Cafe O'Lei in Kihei).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceRBinatlVIPDined on 8/31/2014From the time we walked in the door to the time we left, everything was spectacular from the service to the cocktails to the food. Exceptional restaurant overlooking the water!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was a tad disappointing.OhgeorgeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Kitchen needs to get their act together as the food was not up Merriman's excellent standards. We love Merriman's so well give the brunch another try as you can't beat the service or the view.Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Absolutely perfect evening. Our 5th time there. Food choices great! Attentive servers. Can't beat the sunset view. Nice music. Fine choice for an anniversary trip to Maui when looking for a special dinner. We will return again on our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakloverVIPDined on 8/29/2014Fabulous as always! Try to book a reservation around sunset as it's magical to see.Special Features:
- AMAZING Dinner!808FoodieDined on 8/29/2014Five of us dined at 5:30pm, a perfect sunset seating with a spectacular view! We had the soup special, kale salad, strawberry salad, filet, mahi, the fish special, lobster and scallops for dinner and each of us just LOVED everything. We finished with dessert, coffee and a port that made us all agree that this place is hands down AMAZING! Even the creamed corn & Asparagus we'd recommend more of as we have never had anything as delicious. We loved it so much we decided to go for Brunch on Sunday & seriously, have never had a better meal anywhere in the world. Dinner as well as their Weekend brunch is to die for! The ambiance, the food, the scenery, the wonderful wine list and drink specials, even the service, was hands down incredible!Special Features:
- Tropical gourmetGJMLDMDined on 8/28/2014Eating here is truly a Maui must! The atmosphere was authentic with incredible views and a very tropical feel. What made this one of our favorites was that the chef masterfully blended Hawaiian favorites, like Ono and Mai Mai with the tropical flavors of local organic fruit and vegetables, creating incredible explosions of flavors in every dish.Special Features:
- Go for the view not the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Service was terrible . Unusual long delay in entree coming out. Server mentioned a number of times that it would be only a few more minutes , acknowledging and apologizing for the delay. When entree arrived it was cold. Obviously had been sitting. Informed waiter he in turn sent it back to warm. Mentioned about adjusting the bill due to the problem stating that new people in the kitchen that night. No adjustment was made on bill...we did not saying anything at that pt we just wanted to leave without any more hassle. After all we are on vacation. Very poor management. Go for the view not the food or service. Disappointed.Special Features:
- So good that we're going againTomKatDined on 8/26/2014Fabulous ingredients perfectly prepared. I had the seared ahi, a dish I frequently order, and this was the best I ever had. The fried green tomato croutons on the Caesar salad are a party in your mouth. We're going back there tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014The food was fabulous and the service was great and the sunset was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out in MauiBcmalibuDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant was recommended to my wife and I by a friend , and I must say we were not disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JohnVIPDined on 8/25/2014OK, let's start with the fact that if you do a sit-down dinner for 4 you are going to drop between close to $200. Like many areas of Maui, it is expensive, but unlike many others, here you get an amazing dining experience, excellent service and one of the very best views in Maui for the sunset; quintessential Hawaiian views. The entire restaurant is open air, with unbelievable breezes cooling the entire area. Though we did not go experience it, Merriman's also has an excellent happy hour that enjoys all of the benefits stated above without the big check! In addition, it is LITERALLY adjacent to the Kapalua Beach, so you could first enjoy one of the nicest beaches, and snorkeling, in Maui before enjoying a great happy hour or meal! Aloha!Special Features:
- MerrimansSeasons52Dined on 8/24/2014Very romantic, service outstanding, try to get there for sunset, make a reservation early because they are booked well in advance, definatly a perfect spot in Maui for a scenic, special dinner! Will go again every time we visit MauiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchHoagesVIPDined on 8/24/2014So THAT'S what eggs are supposed to taste like. I've been eating the wrong thing for my54years. Seriously,the omelet was quite possibly the best I've every had. The French toast was very tasty also. Service was spot on. Let the whole situation linger,enjoying probably the best view on Maui while eating. View may have had something to do with the flavor,but I've dined there before & the food was just as good then. Great job!Special Features:
- Favorite meal of our Honeymoon!TheMikosDined on 8/24/2014We stayed on Maui for 7 days, and found an online article for top restaurants on Maui. Merriman's was on the list, so we decided to try out their brunch. Zach had the Lobster Benedict and I had the Steak and eggs. The Lobster came on a crab or lobster cake, not a predictable English muffin. And the Steak and Eggs were the best I've ever had. The Bloody Merriman was delicious, very hearty. The Corpse Reviver T'ree was very refreshing. Zach's Mai Tai was his favorite on the island. (He had a Mai Tai at every restaurant.) We had a blast. We will definitely go back for our anniversary trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Beautiful venue, outstanding food and service. Breath taking views of the ocean and Island of Maui. Our waiter JJ is the man! We will be back hopefully soon!Special Features:
- Most enjoyableDinner42Dined on 8/23/2014We just spend a week in Maui and made a point of dining at Merriman's on our first night and our last night there based on our experience at Merriman's in Kauai a few years back. There's no denying that the location and food are spectacular at this location, too. If you're looking for a leisurely dinner, views to die for and aren't concerned about cost then make the most of it and reserve a table around sunset. If cost is a concern, look at the menu online beforehand to be safe. Mixed drinks are fair compared to other area restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!XOXODined on 8/23/2014This much anticipated return visit was a complete disappointment. Our cocktails must have been intended for somebody with a severe alcohol allergy, since not a whiff of alcohol was detectable in the juiciness of the drink. Roasted butternut squash soup had neither subtlety of flavor nor any presentation to recommend it. Fresh green salad (supposedly from the local farms) was wilted, sad-looking, soggy, and grey - dead on arrival. Scallops lacked taste - bland and forgettable. The greatest insult was reserved for the day's special fish - completely overcooked, totally dried out something with no resemblance to fresh fish and no flavor recognizable beyond a wallop of salt. I feel embarrassed for recommending this place to my friends.Special Features:
- The best in the WestBarrykadeDined on 8/23/2014West Maui has several high-end restaurants, and they're mostly pretty good, with similar levels of quality. Merriman's however, is a real standout. The food is attractive and imaginative, but the flavors are in a class of their own. Everything we ate was exceptional. For me it's a special occasion restaurant, because it isn't cheap. But you never feel burned, just a little sad that you can't eat at Merriman's more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMemorablenightDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 50th. wedding anniversary by having dinner at Merriman's -- it was perfect. The staff was friendly, helpful, congenial, yet professional at the same time. The ambience was outstanding and the food matched -- everything we ordered was prepared to perfection. We particularly appreciated that we were never rushed -- it was very relaxing and enjoyable. Kudos to Merriman's.Special Features:
- Breathtaking ViewVandylexyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We come here anytime we are in Maui. hands down the best restaurant in Maui. Food, service and the sunset view are amazing. Bring your sunglasses.Special Features:
- When n MauiLucetisVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is a must when you visit the area. You will not be disappointed .... Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Hawaiian DiningFit2dineDined on 8/19/2014This was recommended by a local friend to celebrate a birthday. It was a great choice. The view and ambiance were great- Upscale Hawaiian plantation style. The food was fresh and a nice blend of intricate flavors. The ahi and mahimahi were flakey and well prepared. The chocolate flourless cake and lilikoi tart were delicious. The only downside was that after introducing themselves the two waiters didn't bring bread as requested quickly and weren't as attentive as you'd expect for a 5 star restaurant. But even with that it was still a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SsasDined on 8/19/2014Merriman's was wonderful. Great food, beautiful setting .... Be sure to arrive in time for sunset.Special Features:
- IncrediblemariVIPDined on 8/19/2014I think our meal at Merrimans was one of the most pleasant dining experiences we have ever had. EvEry part of it from the view ,the service, and the food was incredible. We had appetizer, salad and entrees and dessert. We were not hurried at all. Every dish was flavorful and had a unique element to it. Can't wait to have the opportunity to return.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner...pointmanDined on 8/19/2014While here on vacation, we planned to celebrate our anniversary. My sister recommended Merryman's for the food and outstanding view. We made reservations and definitely enjoyed our dinner. Our server Sean was very friendly, informative and courteous. When we visit again, we will surely make reservations again.Special Features:
- Merriman's Brunch808FoodieDined on 8/17/2014We selected the cinamon french toast, lobster bennie, friend green tomato bennie and juke and LOVED them ALL! Seriously, the best brunch EVER! And the location is so spectacular, there really isn't a better view anywhere on the west side of Maui. We also recommend the fresh squeezed juice, they feature a different one fresh every weekend and ours was carrot based with cucumber, so refreshing! A MUST GO!Special Features:
- Gorgeous view and great viewSassydawnbDined on 8/16/2014We come here every year for my husbands birthday. He says he has never had a better filet in his life and that seems to be all he eats when we go out. We have been to all the fancy restaurants on this side of Maui and it's my husbands favorite. The view, the ambiance and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch, not so muchDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have visited Merriman's for dinner a number of times and both the food and service is always spectacular. When we heard they now served brunch, we had to try it. The food was outstanding but the service was sorely lacking. Our drinks were empty for the majority of our meal and our server didn't stop by or even look in our direction. Luckily the guy filling water glasses was on the ball. I didn't recognize any of the three servers working so after we paid I asked the hostess if they were all new. She said two were but that our server was not. The hostess didn't seem at all curious about my question. Not the experience I expected for an $85 brunch for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placeToniDined on 8/15/2014The views of the ocean take over the entire restaurant however the food is equally as spectacular. Try any of the fish specials. The steak was cooked to perfection. Pricey but oh so worth it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Food was fair. Fish was overcooked and uneventfulSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Outstanding . . . Best restaurant in Maui? Food was delicious and the view was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maui WauilaguyDined on 8/11/2014the best dining experience, I have had in a very long time...the place is pretty much near perfection. thanks for making this a stand out on our vacation.
- Merriman'sBako1Dined on 8/10/2014we saved Merriman's for our last night in Maui based on reviews and recommendations from friends and we were not disappointed. It was everything we were told it would be from start to finish. Beautiful room, excellent service and fantastic menu and food. Our waiter David was the best, a true professional. A must visit when in Maui, we'll be back.Special Features:
- It was an awesomeness restaurant.WaslastchanceDined on 8/10/2014Merriman's has to be the best on Maui. If you are visiting this restaurant has to be a dinner stop for you.Special Features:
- Fine Dining At Its BestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This is one of Maui's best restaurants. Great food and awesome views. Sasha was a great waitress. We come every trip. Amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dear Waiter, Chill dudeGreggDined on 8/8/2014The view and the food were exceptional. My fish was served in a mushroom butter sauce and was fantastic as was my wife's meal. The app was scallops, if they are on the menu get them, a slice of heaven. Ok, we were there on the 8th at about 730, the waiter was new I think, and overly attentive, I could not get a word in edgewise with my wife. The apps and food were not spaced apart (5 minutes) and he kept coming to the table asking us if everything was ok. If they had been busier I would have been more upset (thinking they were trying to turn tables). Dude chill, give people time, its ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KC1OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Merriman's has the best sunsets in Maui and is one our favorite places for Happy Hour. The dinner menu is filled with great fresh fish entrees and the steaks are to die for. A visit to Merriman's is a must each time we visit Maui. The service, food, atmosphere, and the fantastic sunsets make Merriman's our favorite restaurant in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked entrees ruled our nightSFFdinerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Overall, loved the ambience, had a fantastic table with an awesome view and service was good, if a tad overbearing at times. However, the two entrees we ordered, Mac Nut Crusted Monchong and Jidori Chicken were booth overcooked and dry. The chicken was particularly bad, having been prepared sous vide then flat iron grilled to crisp the skin, must have been left on way too long. The Monchong was edible, but definitely overcooked. On a positive note, we had a couple of amazing appetizers and our salads were spot on. Dessert was good too, but not memorable. Unfortunately, we just couldn't get over the quality of the main courses. I am going to assume we came on an off night, probably still worth a visit if you are on the island.Special Features: