Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
9200 Sonoma Hwy
Kenwood, CA 95452Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mayofamilywinery.com/
- Phone: 7078335504x
- Hours of Operation:
Pairings Thursday through Monday 11:00AM to 5:00PM
Tasting Thursday through Monday 10:30AM to 6:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: J. Clayton Lewis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized food and wine pairing in your own home.
A word from Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
Wine and food are natural partners. Passion and creativity make for a truly unique and educational wine tasting experience. At the Mayo Reserve Room three chefs work with seven vineyard-designate small production wines only available at the tasting room. They custom tailor unique small plates for each wine and deliver and explain their creations. Give us a call. Enjoy some food to start your day of wine tasting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery - Best Restaurants in Kenwood ›
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (22)special occasion (16)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Fantastic food and wine pairings from executive chef Clayton Lewis. One of the highlights if our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite food/wine pairingDavidandEthelDined on 9/15/2014Chef Clayton never fails to amaze us with his culinary creations. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four FriendsrusticloverDined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed the various course and wine pairings, but were turned off by what was considered dessert, some kind of beet concoction. It wasn't good, and it really wasn't a dessert.Special Features:
- Foodie delightCOFoodieDined on 9/5/2014We had a great lunch at the Mayo reserve room. 7 dishes paired with their beautiful wines. The dishes were each delicious and very different. Clayton was very personable and knowledgeable. It was a great way to spend part of our day in wine country. I highly recommend this place! Cheers.Special Features:
- Outstanding TastingcirereblowVIPDined on 8/7/2014Now there are lots of wine n food parings in Napa/Sonoma but this is absolutley the BEST! 7 wines and 7 unique amusements that change complotely every quarter. A must do if you love wine and gourmet food bites.Special Features:
- Wine is OK, food is fabulouscwintonDined on 8/5/2014If you are into wines and like to see how a really good chef can bring out the best in a wine then this is for you. The price point won't break the bank either. The format is simple. 7 pairings starting with white wines, through reds, to dessert. Some of the wines are quite good, some less so, but ALL of the food is gourmet level and very creative. Each pairing is a wine/food tasting, a group of 3 pairings featuring whites, a group of 3 featuring reds, and a final item featuring a dessert wine. The food is crafted (and I don't use that term lightly) to bring out the best of each wine, in some cases making an astonishing difference. I've done a lot of pairings over the years and this one is by far the best I've experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wines not paired correctlyStacyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had such a lovely lunch pairing last year we wanted to duplicate our experience. Unfortunately, overall it did not live up to expectations. Curt was wonderful. Friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful with local recommendations, The food and pairings, however, just did not go together at all. I felt bad given the effort but it just did not work, from the appetizers, entrees and dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an ExperiencepfarrmaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Mayo wines are some of my favorites; in fact, there Petite Verdot from last year was the best wine I've ever had. They only make small batches and those sell out quickly so you have to keep your eye out for new releases! The Mayo Reserve Room food & wine pairing is just one more reason to love this winery. . There are a total of 7 courses and wine. While the portions are small, I came away feeling very satisfied and very happy. It's a great price for a lovely, creative experience in Sonoma wine country The only down side was the noise level. There is a farm table that can seat a rather large party and while they were all talking loudly, it was obvious they were enjoying themselves! I'll be back!Special Features:
- Wine TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014Great place to stop over for some lite food while wine tastingSpecial Features:
- Culinary Creativity!grapeexpectationsDined on 7/17/2014Kudos to the chef and sous chef! Their food is consistently playful and creative and each bite shows their skill and knowledge with the accompanying wine. This remains my favorite pairing and I appreciate it remains accessible and affordable, unlike many pairings in wine country (which often are mostly cheese or charcuterie, not created by a personal chef). They are gaining the recognition they deserve (yes Michael Bauer we saw your review) yet maintain the warmth and neighborhood vibe that makes them unique and, so uniquely "Sonoma".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mayo Reserve RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Visited Mayo Reserve Room on July 17 and had an excellent experience. The food was good and Clayton, Head Chef, did a very good job explaining the wines and how the pairings were developed. One drawback was the small portion size of each of the food items. The wines were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful experience. Poor acoustics made it difficult to eat and sip wine converse. Clayton makes it a special experience EVERY TIME! He is the reason we keep coming back and buying wine. Thanks Clayton.Special Features:
- AwesomeAmazingDined on 7/10/2014Clayton was very knowledgeable about food/wine. I enjoyed the food and loved the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over hyped. Not worth the $USCTVIPDined on 7/5/2014The tasting menu was not very good. I used a Groupon and even for $30 I don't feel it was worth it. The staff were very friendly but the food just wasn't good. And it's definitely a "taste" of each - about 1 bite. Also, it was 7 courses but multiple courses were served at the same time which took away from the experience. That being said, given how small the portions were, they had to put multiple courses on plate at once. The salmon ball was really fishy, the rest, eeeh!
- fantasticpersonVIPDined on 7/4/2014I hesitate to praise the Mayo Reserve Room because I may never be ably to get a reservation again because all of you will be there first. But...the chef and wine guy were wonderful, warm and very knowledgable, the food unbelievably good and the wine fantastic. For $35 can you get foodie food and the perfect wines to match; 7 courses, all small, but creative and sufficient for a full meal.Special Features:
- MoeyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Food and wine were good. Pairings worked nicely together. If you do other tasting before this and expect this to be lunch you'll be disappointed in the amount of food. If you are just doing this it is enough for a light lunch. Service was great (only two tables seated) from Chef and Sous chef. Ambience is very basic.Special Features:
- Great Foodie ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Fantastic food and wine pairing. Chef Clayton and his sous chef are amazing. Their culinary creations are fresh and inventive and Chef Clayton's wine knowledge only enhances the whole experience. Definitely a MUST if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a 5 star experience!GypsyWineauxDined on 6/19/2014I have been here several times. The food and wine pairing is worth the drive to find this place. Don't confuse it with the other Mayo Family Winery tasting room. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the fabulosity that is the Reserve Room! If you are a foodie, trust me- don't miss this opportunity. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- foodiefirlieDined on 6/19/2014The Chef, Clayton, is truly imaginative with his food and wine pairings.Special Features:
- Fit for FoodiesParticulardinerDined on 6/15/2014Unfortunately , we had no idea that we were the transition day between the Spring and Summer menu . Therefore, we were partially guinea pigs or beta testers The chef seemed surprised when I said that I thought the gazpacho would be better chilled. Perhaps a bit miffed. And I guess I am not enough of a foodie to see foam as a course, however tiny. But the pork belly was great and I loved the wasabi tobiko. I am not a wine enthusiast so I cannot comment on that part. Is it worth $125 with tax and tip for less than a meal for three people Up to you to decide.I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite disappointingopenandhonestDined on 6/13/2014lack of decor & noisy environment (many loud people at wine tasting areas) made it not very welcoming-horrible acoustics in a small room (difficult to relax & enjoy experience (difficult time not only hearing chef explain pairings but just conversing together); website info. was out of date -- Napa Valley Syrah was served instead of Sonoma Valley Barbera (wine disappointing-tasted 'cooked' & somewhat oxidized); strips of flank steak were served instead of grilled new york strip that were extremely tough! Desert item was literally not eatable (both taste and texture was very unpleasant). Note: Not to mention, the website noted $30 cost when actually it is $35.Special Features:
- Must-Do in SonomaWillDined on 6/9/2014If you enjoy wine and food pairings, visiting the Mayo Reserve Room has to be at the top of your list of things to do when visiting Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 course food & wine pairingGetawayAdventuresDined on 6/2/20147 small bites with 7 different wines and the head chef, Clayton, walks you thru each fantastic bite. Plan to be there for at least an hour and a half. It's well worth the time to indulge in a once in a lifetime experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 182 reviews are from the Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery reviews archive.
- A Food and Drink ExperienceAmyGDined on 5/25/2014Seven tasting portions accompanied by 7 new release wines. Always a creative combination of ingredients paired with some excellent wines.Special Features:
- unusual wine pairing experienceowlglassDined on 5/17/2014Get the food & wine pairing. Book in advance. Totally worth it, totally unique in Sonoma. Everyone has heard of this it seems but few have done it. I wound up buying 3 bottles. Enjoyed the food, was a nice change from standard tasting rooms. Food pairs well with the wine (as you'd hope being as that's the point). It's more than light nibbles at most tastings, less than a big meal. Just perfect to keep the party rolling but add some decent food into the mix. The plates are all small but as there are 6 of them it brings good balance to your palate AND to your stomach during a day of drinking.Special Features:
- interesting experienceGourmandDined on 5/15/2014This was very nice, with friendly service and good wine. It was too noisy until several small, but loud, groups left.Special Features:
- Wine and Food2WineattitudesDined on 5/15/2014This is a terrific wine and food pairing with very knowledgable staff. The wine is superb and the food pairings were spot on. Mayo is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2014Simply stated, this is a great food and wine pairing experience, coupled with the benefit of practical wine pairing education. The chef, Clayton Lewis, is not only putting together great pairings to the Mayo wines, he is at the same time, both welcoming and entertaining. This is a great value in Sonoma Valley wine country.Special Features:
- The focus is on the food and wineSantaFeSince78VIPDined on 5/4/2014This is a humble tasting room with a very talented chef serving pairings with very good wines. The presentation of food and information given for each pairing were impressive. The ambiance is nothing to write home about, so don't expect much. The tastings are not private, the entire reserve room is set up for these pairings, about 6 tables and a bar, that are going on simultaneously. As long as you are expecting this set-up, you wont be disappointed with this experience. I recommend it!!!Special Features:
- Great Concept and ExperiencemufudojinDined on 5/1/2014Top marks to Mayo and Chef Clayton Lewis for this wonderful, creative venue. New visitors might want to note that this is a brilliant pairing of various small bites with 6 wines and not a meal, (nor is it designed to be), but the quality and attention to ingredients and taste are really something special. Chef Lewis explains food and wines in detail throughout and shows real excitement with everything he talks about. Recommended by a local friend, this was one of our most surprising and enjoyable experiences in the Sonoma/Napa area over many years. We look forward to our next trip! BTW, the Reds are really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and Food pairingsCalgourmetVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is a delightful way to spend an afternoon (or 1.5 hours anyways) in Sonoma. Innovative cuisine with very good wines. Chef describes each dish and wine in detail. We enjoyed the experience.
- Excellent food and wine pairingkimfranceDined on 4/26/2014We've enjoyed three different menus here. Clayton does a fantastic job of explaining the wines. He hits a home run with the pairings every time. Excellent value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Mayo Please!SanJorgeCheeseDined on 4/21/2014This was our second visit to Mayo. Much like our first visit, we were served great wines and even better foods. Having the chef personally explain how he paired the food and wine is so personal and informative. If you're looking for something different besides just tasting wine, definitely check out Mayo!Special Features:
- Amazing pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014What an amazing experience! If you are into good food and wine, treat yourself to this experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceDavidandEthelDined on 4/7/2014Our second visit, and once again, Chef Clayton knocked our socks off. The food and wine pairings were divine. This is our favorite place to visit in wine country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary experience to rememberlovefoodDined on 4/5/2014This is always my go-to spot in the wine country. There's no better way to learn about wine and food pairings than from two expert chefs who are so obviously passionate about what they do. The limited seats provides an intimate culinary experience with plenty of opportunity for conversations with Chef Clayton. And the food is always delicious, perfectly paired with a number of small dishes. I'm a vegetarian and the alternative meal is always delicious. Add this to your next Sonoma trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and wine pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014This is hands down one of the best food and wine pairings available. The chef is fantastic at explaining how the food and wine go together, the nuances of each pairing, and is an all around funny guy. The dining experience was incredible with just a few small tables in the restaurant, and a wonderful view of the mountains from pretty much any seat in the house. Great place to go if you're in the sonoma valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, once again!MikeDDined on 3/15/2014As always, graet food pairing with Mayo wine. Thanks Clayton! Always an exceptional sensory experience. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/8/2014We had not heard of Mayo Wines, and that's because they just sell them at the winery. The tasting was superb. We really enjoyed the experience. The chef has worked at French Laundry and it shows. Unusual pairings with extremely high qualify food. Good overview of why the chef selected each dish for each wine. Definitely a place to return to. Excellent value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surprisekayowieDined on 3/7/2014Nothing in the exterior or interior of the Reserve Room prepares you for the quality of the food and the pairings. Not only were we very pleasantly surprised by the wine and the foods that enhance them, but the education we received by the amount of time Chef Lewis spent with us is rarely matched in either Sonoma or Napa Valleys. For any wine lover and/or foodie, it is a must. At $35, you cannot miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.