109 Jefferson St
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maxwellssavannah.com/
- Phone: (912) 349-5878
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Southeast Asian, International
- Executive Chef: James Parker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Maxwell's
Maxwell"s offers an eclectic mix of cuisine from around the world, as well as an extensive wine list and full bar in an intimate yet casual setting. Our focus is providing our guests with a unique dining experience with strong emphasis on high quality cuisine and exemplary service. Our commitment to our community is exemplified in our continued use of local providers whenever possible. We look forward to the chance to make a memorable dining experience for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Maxwell's - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Maxwell's reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)romantic (24)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food is outstandingdoubledDined on 11/1/2014The menu is diverse and the quality of food is outstandingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantIngeDined on 11/1/2014This place is just beautiful, small, intimate and elegant decor, including a great touch of lovely fresh flowers in mercury vases on the tables. Staff extremely wonderful. The food is ok but a bit on the stingy size, and I am not one who needs huge food sizes. Also, the chef could brush up on making better sauces for the filet mignon and the salmon entrees.Special Features:
- Get the lobster roll!villefoodieVIPDined on 10/30/2014We booked our lunch at Maxwell's because we both love lobster rolls and we were not disappointed!! They were absolutely delicious! The restaurant location is just off of Broughton, so a great location.Special Features:
- Quiet eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Quiet and romantic. Good food and very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuff2GilStuff2GilDined on 10/25/2014Able to get a 7:00 reservation for Saturday on Thursday while impossible for most other restaurants in town. Film Fest opening night. Food passable. great wine and my wife thought the waiter was cute. Romantic and quiet restaurant but perfect for a Saturday night dinner for my wife's birthday. Can't get in the top (and more expensive) restaurants in town go to Maxwell"s and enjoy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Recommend calling for reservations; the woman did not seem to notice Opentable reservation. When I had reserved on Opentable, it appeared to have many open tables; upon arriving, however, the restaurant was full and we had to sit and wait at the bar. When the waiter sat us, he did say that the kitchen was behind. We waited almost 2 hours before getting our appetizers, with dinner right behind. Despite this wait, the food was outstanding. I appreciate the chef ensuring that all of our food was cooked perfectly... tender, temp-as-requested for meats. There may not have been a rush to get it out of the kitchen, but everything that did come out... well, it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Cozy place for wine & light fareCenturymanDined on 10/14/2014A cozy, comfortable place to stop in after work, or before a show to enjoy some wine or a specialty cocktail and some light to medium fare that is always delicious. Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ideas, not quite therePdxfoodieDined on 10/10/2014From the start; many items we had picked from the menu were not available. The waitresses knowledge of the menu nonexistent. We ordered a cheese plate as an appetizer; no idea what cheese we were served. My partner ordered the rack of lamb. It was cooked propertly and was tastey. I ordered the jumbo scallops. They arrived and were burnt and dry, not to mention overlooked. The size of a jumbo scallop was approximately no bigger than a quarter. After cutting into a few; I sent them back. 20 mins later I got an entire new dish with jumbo scallops that were much better. We finished dinner with the chocolate marscapone dish. It was good. I may go back; but would hope the server would have more knowledge. Great ambiance for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, hurry before it's fullProdiclsonDined on 10/4/2014Food was fantastic, service was great.... Hurry up and try it now before everyone discovers this place. Interesting combinations for apps, wine list is so so but it fits. Definitely would recommend it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCinderellaVIPDined on 10/1/2014I have always walked by Maxwell's on my way downtown but never ate there. I'm so glad we finally did. It so cute on the inside very tastefully decorated with fresh flowers on the table. My parents had the lamb and it was delicious. I had the pork Satay for an appetizer and then had hearts of Palm salad as my dinner ( I'm on a friggin diet). My husband had the soup if the day and Filet Parker. He said he was the best meal he had in a while. My parents shared the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert, our server told us that the chec's mom made the pies homemade at her home and brought them in. The service was wonderful, our server had a great personality. She also made the drinks. Don't miss out on Maxwell's, so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABMEDined on 9/27/2014Excellent restaurant!!! Food was fantastic and the ambience was just what we were looking for! Quiet but had an energy, cozy, comfortable and the lighting was perfect! Great wine selection, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary celebrationReturnedagainDined on 9/24/2014Went for first time for anniversary celebration and were thoroughly pleased. Good food with pleasant server who was very helpful. Small, intimate setting that allowed for easy conversation. We were early so not too crowded. Server did say weekends were very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchdiascundDined on 9/22/2014Went with friends whose culinary tastes are quite different from ours. We all find items thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of promise,execution lacking.WeHadAbabysitterDined on 9/20/2014Nice and quiet and perfect for conversation. Above average ambiance. Food had promise, but executed at a mediocre level. I ordered the rolled steak and it was doused in a thick, salty wine sauce. The sauce took away from the meal. Fingerling potatoes were cooked well. For the price, I had hoped for better execution. I booked it based on a suggestion. Regardless, we had a nice evening and enjoyed the time together.Special Features:
- Savannah BillBillDined on 9/19/2014Just an OK place. Nice looking but empty at 7:00pm on Friday night. A little expensive for what you get. I hate places that charge $3 for bread. Really? Also made a mistake on our bill. Waitress was nice but lacked an understanding of what customers want. The table next to ours asked her for butter. She told them they had no butter. Really? no butter? I bet the chef could have found some. But, the food was pretty good and the ambiance is alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- URAQTDined on 8/30/2014Maxwell's was ready for us. Our table was ready. The appetizers were excellent. The menu had enough choices so that there was something for everyone. The food was served hot and was better than expected. This is a good find between Broughton St and Abercorn, on JeffersonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableRichDined on 8/30/2014Enjoy Maxwell's as food, service and atmosphere always above par. One of our favorites in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlazerGlazerDined on 8/23/2014Very very good experience overall! Lamb chops were outstanding! Quaint cozy place!!! Loved it definilty going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentcjonesDined on 8/22/2014Took my wife to maxwell's for 12th anniversary. our first visit we found excellent service, tasty fresh food. we really enjoyed maxwell'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gembigKVIPDined on 8/22/2014I had a wonderful meal at Maxwell's. The chef put a refined twist on traditional dishes and elevated them to exceptional. I had the asparagus soup with lemongrass and Ravioli with Meyer lemon cream sauce.....YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Go to this restaurant soon because you will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great SpecialskateruschellDined on 8/20/2014My family ate dinner at this restaurant while on vacation. They had a fragrant lemongrass and asparagus cream soup, which hit the spot on a hot August day in Savannah. Some of the dishes had a higher price than expected ($28 for an entree), however, all the dishes were well-made and the presentation did not disappoint. I would definitely come back to this restaurant if I am back in the Savannah area.Special Features:
- Best in CharlestonBonesVIPDined on 8/19/2014This charming restaurant was my first pick in Charleston. Wonderful location and awesome service. We had mussel ande oyster appetizers that were the tastiest in the area. The blackened catfish was superb. Highly recommend this restaurant. On our next visit to Charleston, we will definitely return for another outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 59 reviews are from the Maxwell's reviews archive.
- Old Savannah Gemluv2dineoutDined on 7/26/2014Everyone is greeted by the owner, who seems to know several of the locals. Very small but not crowded. Mellow guitar singer Fri & Sat evenings. Menu is not long, but varied and well thought out. My husband ordered the tomato/ pepper/ olive tapanade with crostini. Delicious and more than enough to share. We even asked for more crostini. My husband's bistecca bracciole stuffed with goat cheese, ricotta and herbs served with orzo was delicious. My scallops with fennel and fingerling potatos were tender and flavorful. Desserts were unique and out of this world--the light lemon cheese cake made by the chef's mother, and chocolate panecotta. It was our second time back, and there will be a third.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect ambience & great foodaspendhaferDined on 7/19/2014We originally had a reservation for 10 then it whittled down to 4. They were very accommodating. It was gorgeous inside, the owner was Nice and the food was phenomenal!!!!!! Loved this place and I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfecttheZsDined on 7/12/2014We had a small intimate wedding celebration. The staff at Maxwells went out of their way to make this a very special occasion. Everyone in our party commented that the ambience was perfect. The food and the service were both outstanding. All in all it was a night to remember, and the staff at Maxwells went out of their way to make it happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SomanuelmmmmDined on 7/12/2014Went with my Wife to celebrate my birthday and the overall experience was so-so. The food was nothing spectacular (although the recipe ideas lend themselves to be impressive). Had the Avocado spring roll which is nothing but fried Guacamole, Buffalo Milk Bruschettas which was nothing more than bread, tomato and regular mozzarella cheese (I would have added to herbs to the bread to give it some intensity, but they rather chose to julienne the Basil and it was overpowering). The carpaccio was good and the lobster cocktail was ok. Desserts (While Chocolate Pana-Cotta) not too impressive. The service was ok, our server was not personable as was the waiter on the table next to us. They would not even recommend or describe the menu choicesSpecial Features:
- Good food, service needs to improveJerryDined on 7/3/2014Second time. in general is good. Food was good, but Room was too warm and waiter needs coaching. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicouslikefood23Dined on 6/27/2014When me and my boyfriend went to Maxwell it was a very nice energetic, upbeat atmosphere. The food was outstanding and I can'r wait to go back. I ordered the scallops and they where super flavorful. They were the best scallops I ever had.Special Features:
- A mustYuckVIPDined on 6/21/2014A great experience, from the ambience to the food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night at maxwellsVintagegirlDined on 6/6/2014Me and my husband were looking for a secret gem and we found it at Maxwells very romantic with a man playing live saxophone music we will come back to maxwells for our anniversary ! Thanks for our romantic night out .... StacySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know how to please a customerGranddanVIPDined on 5/24/2014I ordered a Bombay martini. Waiter returned with a 3/4 martini they ran out of Bombay. He apologized. He offered the 3/4 martini at no charge or he would bring me a second choice. They were running a little behind, which we didn't notice, the waiter brought us a free appetizer.Special Features:
- Food mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Service good, made reservation 24 h advance , seated us by the restroom, not a good table , food not , would not return
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014Maxwell's is a quaint little restaurant with lots of flavor and impeccable service. Easy to make reservations. Very friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff. We had a great time and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite in SavannahLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/17/2014What a Great Find. We've been going to Savannah for years, but Maxwell's has just been there for a couple of years and somehow we missed it until now. Service was attentive, but not intrusive; presentation was beautiful - and then the food was every bit as lovely as the presentation. The nuances were clever and delightful. It was such a nice experience that we ate there two nights in a row and can't wait to revisit on our trip to Savannah.Special Features:
- Great Find in SavannahLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/16/2014Our "regular" hotel in Savannah was not available, so we were on the prowl to find some new favorite restaurants - boy did we ever! Great service, beautiful presentation and top quality, spectacular food. So good we ate there 2 nights in a row. Not inexpensive - but worth every penny. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence at Maxwell'stravellingdinerDined on 5/10/2014We had a wonderful meal, our best of the vacation. The avocado egg rolls as an appetizer were delicious, and so was the stuffed quail as one of the featured entrees that night. A great spot in Savannah, don't miss it. Not a very big place so reserve early.Special Features:
- A real prize!JmbEsqDined on 5/3/2014A wonderful experience! The food was exceptionally good, the ambiance great and the service exceptional! In all respects it was a delightful experience and we highly recommend it!Special Features:
- LuvtoeatVIPDined on 4/30/2014Disappointed with waiter. Was with chef with wine tasting at bar. Had to get up to find him at the bar to get more tea. Ordered soft shelled crab, wasn't crispy or hot, just warm. Crab soup was very goodSpecial Features:
- Before the symphonyfoodlover46VIPDined on 4/26/2014We had an early supper before going to the symphony. The location is ideal for walking to the Civic Center. The staff was extremely helpful and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulBeatsonDined on 4/18/2014Wonderful food, wonderful service. If you get salmon, get it bronzed, the best you'll ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.