109 Jefferson St
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maxwellssavannah.com/
- Phone: 9123495878x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Southeast Asian, International
- Executive Chef: James Parker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Maxwell's
Maxwell"s offers an eclectic mix of cuisine from around the world, as well as an extensive wine list and full bar in an intimate yet casual setting. Our focus is providing our guests with a unique dining experience with strong emphasis on high quality cuisine and exemplary service. Our commitment to our community is exemplified in our continued use of local providers whenever possible. We look forward to the chance to make a memorable dining experience for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Maxwell's - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Maxwell's reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)romantic (16)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- URAQTDined on 8/30/2014Maxwell's was ready for us. Our table was ready. The appetizers were excellent. The menu had enough choices so that there was something for everyone. The food was served hot and was better than expected. This is a good find between Broughton St and Abercorn, on JeffersonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableRichDined on 8/30/2014Enjoy Maxwell's as food, service and atmosphere always above par. One of our favorites in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlazerGlazerDined on 8/23/2014Very very good experience overall! Lamb chops were outstanding! Quaint cozy place!!! Loved it definilty going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentcjonesDined on 8/22/2014Took my wife to maxwell's for 12th anniversary. our first visit we found excellent service, tasty fresh food. we really enjoyed maxwell'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gembigKVIPDined on 8/22/2014I had a wonderful meal at Maxwell's. The chef put a refined twist on traditional dishes and elevated them to exceptional. I had the asparagus soup with lemongrass and Ravioli with Meyer lemon cream sauce.....YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Go to this restaurant soon because you will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great SpecialskateruschellDined on 8/20/2014My family ate dinner at this restaurant while on vacation. They had a fragrant lemongrass and asparagus cream soup, which hit the spot on a hot August day in Savannah. Some of the dishes had a higher price than expected ($28 for an entree), however, all the dishes were well-made and the presentation did not disappoint. I would definitely come back to this restaurant if I am back in the Savannah area.Special Features:
- Best in CharlestonBonesVIPDined on 8/19/2014This charming restaurant was my first pick in Charleston. Wonderful location and awesome service. We had mussel ande oyster appetizers that were the tastiest in the area. The blackened catfish was superb. Highly recommend this restaurant. On our next visit to Charleston, we will definitely return for another outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Savannah Gemluv2dineoutDined on 7/26/2014Everyone is greeted by the owner, who seems to know several of the locals. Very small but not crowded. Mellow guitar singer Fri & Sat evenings. Menu is not long, but varied and well thought out. My husband ordered the tomato/ pepper/ olive tapanade with crostini. Delicious and more than enough to share. We even asked for more crostini. My husband's bistecca bracciole stuffed with goat cheese, ricotta and herbs served with orzo was delicious. My scallops with fennel and fingerling potatos were tender and flavorful. Desserts were unique and out of this world--the light lemon cheese cake made by the chef's mother, and chocolate panecotta. It was our second time back, and there will be a third.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect ambience & great foodaspendhaferDined on 7/19/2014We originally had a reservation for 10 then it whittled down to 4. They were very accommodating. It was gorgeous inside, the owner was Nice and the food was phenomenal!!!!!! Loved this place and I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfecttheZsDined on 7/12/2014We had a small intimate wedding celebration. The staff at Maxwells went out of their way to make this a very special occasion. Everyone in our party commented that the ambience was perfect. The food and the service were both outstanding. All in all it was a night to remember, and the staff at Maxwells went out of their way to make it happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SomanuelmmmmDined on 7/12/2014Went with my Wife to celebrate my birthday and the overall experience was so-so. The food was nothing spectacular (although the recipe ideas lend themselves to be impressive). Had the Avocado spring roll which is nothing but fried Guacamole, Buffalo Milk Bruschettas which was nothing more than bread, tomato and regular mozzarella cheese (I would have added to herbs to the bread to give it some intensity, but they rather chose to julienne the Basil and it was overpowering). The carpaccio was good and the lobster cocktail was ok. Desserts (While Chocolate Pana-Cotta) not too impressive. The service was ok, our server was not personable as was the waiter on the table next to us. They would not even recommend or describe the menu choicesSpecial Features:
- Good food, service needs to improveJerryDined on 7/3/2014Second time. in general is good. Food was good, but Room was too warm and waiter needs coaching. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicouslikefood23Dined on 6/27/2014When me and my boyfriend went to Maxwell it was a very nice energetic, upbeat atmosphere. The food was outstanding and I can'r wait to go back. I ordered the scallops and they where super flavorful. They were the best scallops I ever had.Special Features:
- A mustOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014A great experience, from the ambience to the food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night at maxwellsVintagegirlDined on 6/6/2014Me and my husband were looking for a secret gem and we found it at Maxwells very romantic with a man playing live saxophone music we will come back to maxwells for our anniversary ! Thanks for our romantic night out .... StacySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know how to please a customerGranddanVIPDined on 5/24/2014I ordered a Bombay martini. Waiter returned with a 3/4 martini they ran out of Bombay. He apologized. He offered the 3/4 martini at no charge or he would bring me a second choice. They were running a little behind, which we didn't notice, the waiter brought us a free appetizer.Special Features:
- Food mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Service good, made reservation 24 h advance , seated us by the restroom, not a good table , food not , would not return
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014Maxwell's is a quaint little restaurant with lots of flavor and impeccable service. Easy to make reservations. Very friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff. We had a great time and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Maxwell's reviews archive.
- New Favorite in SavannahLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/17/2014What a Great Find. We've been going to Savannah for years, but Maxwell's has just been there for a couple of years and somehow we missed it until now. Service was attentive, but not intrusive; presentation was beautiful - and then the food was every bit as lovely as the presentation. The nuances were clever and delightful. It was such a nice experience that we ate there two nights in a row and can't wait to revisit on our trip to Savannah.Special Features:
- Great Find in SavannahLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/16/2014Our "regular" hotel in Savannah was not available, so we were on the prowl to find some new favorite restaurants - boy did we ever! Great service, beautiful presentation and top quality, spectacular food. So good we ate there 2 nights in a row. Not inexpensive - but worth every penny. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence at Maxwell'stravellingdinerDined on 5/10/2014We had a wonderful meal, our best of the vacation. The avocado egg rolls as an appetizer were delicious, and so was the stuffed quail as one of the featured entrees that night. A great spot in Savannah, don't miss it. Not a very big place so reserve early.Special Features:
- A real prize!JmbEsqDined on 5/3/2014A wonderful experience! The food was exceptionally good, the ambiance great and the service exceptional! In all respects it was a delightful experience and we highly recommend it!Special Features:
- LuvtoeatVIPDined on 4/30/2014Disappointed with waiter. Was with chef with wine tasting at bar. Had to get up to find him at the bar to get more tea. Ordered soft shelled crab, wasn't crispy or hot, just warm. Crab soup was very goodSpecial Features:
- Before the symphonyfoodlover46Dined on 4/26/2014We had an early supper before going to the symphony. The location is ideal for walking to the Civic Center. The staff was extremely helpful and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulBeatsonDined on 4/18/2014Wonderful food, wonderful service. If you get salmon, get it bronzed, the best you'll ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2014Welcomed by the owner who is very gracious. It is very comfortable and I think well designed.. Tne standard menu is varied with excelent specials (which appear on an addition to the menu - you do not have to think back what you heard two choices before. Our table ordered tilapia stuffed with crabmeat, a wonderful veal chop and mussels and angel hair pasta. All dishes were well prepared and very tasty. The veal chop was the best I have seen in a while and well priced at $35 - a portion to be shared with a salad each. Choices for dessert were very good but we decided to move on to Leopolds for ice cream. A perfect conclusion to an excellent evening. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningcmaxDined on 4/11/2014I had to change the reservation time and the person answering the phone was very helpful and told me he would do what he could. We arrived 15 minutes earlier than revised time and our table was ready. Waiter Chris very pleasant and patient with us. The presentation of the food was wonderful and was very delicious. There was enough of the entrée without being still wanting more or overly stuffed. Lovely interior with a special evening appearance. Would definitely go again and will recommend Maxwell to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommendLocalDined on 4/11/2014Would recommend the excellent soup and chocolate cheesecake desert. Salad was average and the beef satay was tough and dry. Ambience and service extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White linens and pink rosesGranny10VIPDined on 4/7/2014Plus delicious food! You just might walk by this storefront spot and not realize exactly what it is. It has been there for three years and we just found it. What a delightful place to have a quiet lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/2/2014Maxwels has potential - the food is excellent and reasonably priced for lunch. The salmon lunch special was as good as it gets and the waiter was excellent. One challenge is the wine list - limited in wines by the glass - expensive, short pour and they need to offer a really good Chardonay. The other challenge is that the three of us were the only people in the restaurant on a busy, pretty day in Savannah. Locations is great, but save time to find parking or walk if you are in the Historic District.
- Not worth the waitIsItHereYetDined on 3/29/2014The food was good, but it took them 2 hours to serve us. That's not an exaggeration. I just don't know how that even happens. It wasn't good enough to risk having that experience again, which is really disappointing, because it was highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hidden GemBenSDined on 3/29/2014We are locals and have been to the bar for drinks before but this was our first time for dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Great cocktail menu, knowledgeable server, and excellent entrees. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very good choicerbtemDined on 3/28/2014well situated in the heart of the historic district, maxwell's has a personal feel to it, unlike many of the other historic district restaurants, which all too often feel very touristy and have prices to match. maxwell's is a small, quality place with very good food and great service. my bronzed salmon was outstanding, as was the charcuterie plate with cheeses. drinks were excellent, as were the side dishes and the prices were very reasonable, including their wine list. there is a nice bar area which would be suitable for eating or just imbibing. i will certainly go back. it is convenient to museums but away from the rush of broughton or bay streets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentNancyDined on 3/15/2014We travel to Savannah two or three times a year, and we now think of Maxwell's as "our place." The food is always tasty --I order the avocado egg rolls every time-- and the wine list is perfect for the food and the vibe of the restaurant. Lovely atmosphere and friendly, pleasant waitstaff. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maxwell's had the best foodBradVIPDined on 3/15/2014Maxwell's had the best food while we were in Savannah and the bartender was top notch!Special Features:
- Savannah's local FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Always a treat. We are local and eat out quite often and all over town. This is a top 10 on our list of Savannah places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLarryDined on 3/1/2014Dined at Maxwell's about a year ago and enjoyed it. This time not so good. We were given a table directly adjacent to the door on a cold night. I asked to be moved and was told that all other tables were reserved and this was the only table for two available--the restaurant was empty at the time, you be the judge. A table did not belong at that location. My wife and I ate with our coats on. The door had no return-spring so when several barn-raised guests left it open , either I or a waiter had to close it. The food was peppery--not something that was noted on the menu. I mentioned it to our hostess, telling her that I believed that the chef had changed since our last visit or had developed an affinity for pepper. No responseSpecial Features:
- Not to be missed in downtownMidtwnguyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Maxwell's continues to impress me with the variety of their menu and weekend specials. The lobster ravioli special last weekend was the best I've ever had anywhere. No question about the lobster as there were large tasty morels evident throughout the dish. The wine by the glass selection is great if you're not looking for a whole bottle. The weekly specials are impressing me and I'm heading back down to experience the manicotti this weekend. I've got to determine if the chief is Italian, as great Italian specials keep coming. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Getting it rightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Firstly, somebody (or maybe two somebodies) here knows how to cook. My wide's rack of lamb, my bronzed salmon, and our vegetables were all done to a turn and flawlessly seasoned. Secondly, our server was knowledgable and welcoming without being omnipresent or cloying. This is a class operation. Finally, the atmosphere was lovely, like being at what most of us wish our homes were like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah styleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014Savannah dinning at its best. Very good and a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.