1358 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masonpacific.com/
- Phone: 4153747185x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday, Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm
Closed Sundays & Mondays
**We will be closed for Summer Vacation from Sunday June 29th through Monday July 7th, reopening for dinner service at 5:30 on Tuesday July 8th**
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean McTiernan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mason Pacific
Mason Pacific is a casually elegant neighborhood bistro nestled along the cable car line at the intersection of Nob Hill, Russian Hill and Chinatown. Chef Sean McTiernan crafts a seasonal menu of simple, flavorful dishes, creatively elevated through technique and preparation. The wine list features food friendly wines and aims to offer value at every price range, from a simple but delicious rose, to rare and compelling vintage bottles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mason Pacific reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (60)romantic (39)special occasion (38)notable wine list (26)hot spot (23)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Neighborhood gem!SusanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Excellent wait staff. Ambience romantic. We ordered the 52 oz prime rib. It came with several inventive sauces to share. For starters we had the octopus. There were tooany Flavors that were married together it made our palettes singSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan59VIPDined on 10/17/2014Beautiful, creative, delicious food; I wish I could eat everything on the menu at each visit as the food is just outstanding. Friendly management and staff and just a special neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- KenandBarbieDined on 10/16/2014Nice neighborhood meeting place with a menu that is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food here is good. Not too expensive and a wide variety so everyopne will be pleased. It didn't knock our socks off, but we enjoyed ourselves and will probably be back.Special Features:
- California at its best.GerpVIPDined on 10/10/2014California cuisine meets French twists. Small, but very interesting menu choices. The octopus is out of this world -- very tender, no gristle and well prepared. I love the mushroom fresh pasta with lightly poached egg. Everything this fresh, innovative combinations and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingSFCCVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love the look of this place from the outside and almost went a few times but the menu looked a little too rustic/traditional for me. I went and it wasn't. It was sophisticated and elegant and the food was creative and expertly executed. One of my dining partners is a very new transplant to SF and proclaimed it better than the last place we went to dinner: Michael Mina. Not sure about that, but at 1/5 the price we'll take it. Very small, almost awkwardly laid out space, decent service, but the food trumped all.Special Features:
- A nice discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014This place was exactly what we were looking for - a small, relatively quiet, neighborhood restaurant serving high quality food from a carefully focused menu. The food was excellent, the service was flawless and the wine recommendation was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mason PacificMissKittyDined on 9/30/2014I had been traveling for 10 days and 9/30!was the last night. I found Mason Pacific on Open Table and based on the reviews decided to give them a try, and what a gem. The food and service were amazing. You must try peach, heirloom appetizer and the fried chicken appetizer OMG!!! For the main course my son and I shared the ribeye and it was cooked to perfection. You must try this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Foodie quality family run bistro...pigaliciousDined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent. Pork chops were unexpectedly moist. The porcini pasta was tasty and a good value. The steak for two was superb. Special dishes aside, the prices are quite reasonable. Great family run neighborhood restaurant. This restaurant is not ideal for larger parties. My opinion is that this space is perfect for tables of 2-4. There are really only two tables in this restaurant that will comfortably accommodate parties of five or six. Parking is impossible, take a cab or valet.Special Features:
- too high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014overcooked octopus, very limited wine selection, and lackluster salads do not deserve these prices
- Inventive and great cuisinePatprovenceDined on 9/19/2014Enjoyable experience, good valet parking, friendly and efficient service, refined but warm deco... And the amazing work of the chef. Order the featured dishes, share and ask Sean to come to your table (if not busy in the kitchen) to undestand how he assembled these incredible feasts. You'll be stunned by the work and passion that he's putting into it.Special Features:
- A gem!SFNOVODined on 9/16/2014Every dish was splendid. Service was superb. I greatly enjoyed my visit and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Had a great night with two good friends for a fancy dinner out away from the kids. The service was great, and the food amazing - creative and delicious. We liked the music selection, but like most places still a little too loud. Could be a little softer to allow better quality visiting. Because of the price (about $200 for three, including one glass wine each), this is a special occasions place for me. I'll definitely go back when I have such another excuse however!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IslanderVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very nice neighborhood feel wth good food in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service! Loved the neighborhood feel to the intimate restaurant. Meeting the chef was a bonus!Special Features:
- Fantastic in every wayValentinesDelightVIPDined on 9/4/2014This place has incredible food and great service. I highly recommend this place, especially the porter house for two.Special Features:
- Generally fantasticMuncherDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful food, ambiance, creativity, presentation, service, scenic cable car view from window. Plus personal attention from a warm chef, who was friendly and self-effacing. Our only complaint was so-so desert selection. Definitely a winner. Up there with Frances and State Bird as a favorite.Special Features:
- EvelynDined on 8/27/2014We got there about 5minutes early and were told that they cannot sit us until 8 the reservation time, so we went to the bar to wait, and didn't get seated until about 8:15 I had to go and remind them. The food was good but it took so long ,n out waiter was very good though. I'm happy I went , but I didn't think it was anything special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/13/2014We were greeted by our waiter as he leaned on a railing adjacent to the table, which he continued to do upon the arrival of bottled water which he poured from that location. The food was okay, but the attitude of the waiter was off-putting, especially for spending $200.00 on two entrees, a bottle of wine and a dessert.
- Lovely!!!DeliaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Love this restaurant, the food and service are wonderful, and perfect to take friends for special occasions, the decor is beautiful!!! Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange vibe - bad servicesbettDined on 8/6/2014Wasn't impressed at all. Strange vibe, bad service. Good food but not great. SF has too many restaurants to be returning to this one again. Good luck. Get it together.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborDined on 8/1/2014When we have a reservation in advance, we expect it to be honored. As much as we love the ambiance and food and wine, to wait 45 minutes for our reserved table spoiled the experience. If you have an event to attend, this much waiting and delay is not tolerable.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Friday Night OutAllaboutfoodDined on 8/1/2014Service and food were great. The server was really attentive and the rib eye for 2 was heavenly good. However, the cauliflower side dish was a bit too small diced for us. But overall, it definitely is a lovely place to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keeps getting better!AdamVIPDined on 7/31/2014It is rare that a restaurant just keeps getting better with each visit, but that is exactly what happens with Mason-Pacific: the grilled octopus, perfect; the duck confit, perfect; the fish of the day (halibut), the best preparation I have ever tasted. From the staff who are attentive, pleasant (they make you feel you are valued, but not obnoxious) to the nice mix of local and French wine, to the amazing food- perfect! And just when you think nothing could possibly be outdone by the wonderful evening, the hostess sets the hook and recommends with confidence we share the "peanut butter and chocolate pot-de-creme" -- that's it! My new favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:
- Unexpected culinary experienceBavaroSurgeonDined on 7/29/2014Coming all the way from Europe (Munich, Germany), this fabulous restaurant duely deserves being mentioned in several restaurant guides (Bib gourmand in the Michelin Guide and among the 25 best SF restaurants in Gayot's). Impeccable appetizers, not lacking originality, hard-to-beat entrecôte with a remarkable variety of 13 (!) different sauces / toppings: centered around a veal bone-red wine reduction were dry-frozen capers, charcoal dissolved in olive oil for the real barbecue flavour, tasty mustard and its seeds, sea salt, ginger, sauce Béarnaise, intense but not insulting garlic sauce, steak pepper and some more. But still now, three weeks later, I still like to remember my dinner experience in Mason Pacific!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Perfect combo of delicious food, delightful service and fantastic ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findLabrat1Dined on 7/22/2014Read the reviews on Open Table and decided to take a chance. The menu is interesting with a strong french country influence. If you like french wine, the food compliments it nicely. I was challenged with the wine but my wife enjoyed it. I had tagliatelle and my wife had halibut. The cauliflower side dish was AMAZING - delicious!!! The tagliatelle was superb as well. Wine list was limited. It was a little pricey for my taste but it was a nice place to go for a unique experience. We ate early which was good as it was peaceful. It tended to get louder by the time we left (around 7:30).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too expensivevacayeatinDined on 7/18/2014The food was really good but the wine and the food was wayyy over priced. Also our waiter was really slow to ask us if we needed anything.Special Features:
- Good Food, Mediocre ServiceMcf96VIPDined on 7/17/2014Went there to celebrate my friends birthday & reserved 3+ weeks in advance. I called a few days earlier to ask if we could move the time by 30 minutes and was told that we'd have a limited time at our table. We were there for 2+ hours and only half of the restaurant was full for most of that time. Also, I mentioned to the hostess that we were celebrating a birthday. By the time we finished our meal (we had 2 wonderful starters, 3 fantastic entrees, plus a very pricey bottle of wine) we were too full. When the birthday girl ordered glass of dessert wine only, the waiter said "well I guess we can't put a candle on that." Really? I guess the restaurant couldn't spare a scoop ice cream?! What a disappointing end to an otherwise nice evening.Special Features:
- Best meal in SF YETKtMacDined on 7/15/2014This was probably the best meal I have had in SF EVER and one of the best of my life. The service was so attentive and spot on, but also super friendly and not in your face. The ambiance was beautiful, both upscale and cozy. And when I say cozy I don't mean small, I mean warm and inviting. Now let's get to the food! Chef Sean McTiernan is just genius with his menu. He came out a few times and talked to us about the meal and what we ordered. He explained the ingredients and where he got them, using all different places in the state. Each item was created and made with such care. And man were they decadent and just plain GOOD! Also has a great and full wine list! So there you good. Don't let this awesome place pass you by. Treat yourself!Special Features:
- great food and ambienceJuliaVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been there many times. My husband loves their burger, which is a regular on the menu. I enjoy exploring their menu. It's always innovative and delightful. We really like this place. The only problem is how to get a table...I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!Donovan59VIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been trying to get to Mason Pacific for months and finally made it for my hubby's belated birthday celebration. It was worth the wait. The food was simply amazing - every dish was better than the one before - which I didn't think was possible. Simple menu with just a few choices, but everything that comes out of the kitchen is executed beautifully. SO happy to have MP in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the Mason Pacific reviews archive.
- Really excellent dining experienceBonnVIPDined on 6/26/2014Both the food and service were excellent. We had the outstanding beet salad and fresh halibut caught locally that day. Both were perfectly prepared. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood optioncnalscVIPDined on 6/21/2014Mason Pacific is a neighborhood gem located at the confluence of North Beach, Chinatown, and the Union Square area. It's a long narrow space, divided into a vibrant bar area (which has tables) and a dining area. The grey walls with white trim are beautiful. The menu is limited but every dish we had was wonderful - duck rilettes, beets with horseradish, little gem salad, duck breast, fabulous hamburger. Service was friendly and efficient with no mistakes. Interesting wine list. If you're looking something in the neighborhood and don't want to make a production out of dining, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VirginVIPDined on 6/20/2014Everything about Mason Pacific is spot on....the Hostess Emily, the staff Joseph and Mike and of course the chef, Sean is doing some remarkable yet affordable dishes and sides. That fried chicken, that duck rillettes, that ribeye those side squash, I just missed the octopus, I hope it comes back!!Special Features:
- ShanDined on 6/17/2014They were 30 minutes late seating us which was frustrating. Then by the time we sat down, they ran out of their famous burger. If we were seated on time, at 8:30pm, we would have been able to order this - we saw burgers being served to tables as we were waiting. very frustrating.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerRobKVIPDined on 6/14/2014It was my third time at Mason Pacific. Excellent dinner as usual, nice service and ambience. Will be back!!!Special Features:
- Awesome food every single time.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is fresh and seasonal. The menu is seasonal and service is on point too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant - solid menuOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/13/2014Overall 4.5 stars Mason Pacific is a must visit restaurant. The decor is tradition/modern and warm... hard to pull off but they did and it's gorgeous. With our group we sampled quite a bit of the menu and every single item was delicious. I don't think you can go wrong. Service was also right on the money. Apps: Crispy Fete with pea puree and Fried chicken Entrees: Tagliatelle, Charred Broccoli and Burger. Dessert: Chocolate Pot de Creme - I don't even like dessert and this was amazing. Wines - reds were better than whites by the glass. Their bottle list looked quite impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlowtorchcrayivpVIPDined on 6/13/2014Never had a sous chef come out to personally deliver an insult before. We're Opentable VIPS, have 10s of 1,000's of points. We eat out ALOT; worldwide. We've been to M/P before; loved it. Had their signature dish, the +$100 Ribeye. Its awesome. That's why we were back. Well, that, a nice wine list, "local" ambiance, and wonderful, attentive service. So, we order the Ribeye, medium-rare, they bring it in its skillet and say its going back to the kitchen "to rest"; OK. Looks great, all good. When finally served, it's ice cold. Oops. We send it back; Double oops. Cold is not cool. Not for +$100. Sous chef comes out with a blowtorch; to re-heat it; at the table. Seriously? Thought my wife was going to bust into tears. That was a first. C Ray