Little Barrel and Brown
1716 S. Congress
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Little Barrel and Brown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (512) 582-1229
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small room adjacent to the main dining room, that can accomodate up to 16-20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Walker x
A word from Little Barrel and Brown
Little Barrel & Brown is an American grill set in a beautiful classic setting. We are serving up creative American cuisine, using fresh and local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Little Barrel and Brown reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (15)great for brunch (10)special occasion (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Somewhat undiscovered gem in SoCoJmh101Dined on 11/21/2014Really nice place with great food at reasonable prices, excellent service! Quail side was amazing; wherever SoCo and S 1st are getting their quail, please keep it up! All the dishes were delightful and well thought out; I really like this place and plan to dine there regularly in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014TERRIBLE! they did not honor our reservation, saying that a party needed to go longer. I will NEVER go to this restaurant. EVER. Original reservation was for 7:00pm. They called the day before, asking me to move it to 7:30 b/c an engagement party (private) may go late. No problem, I said. Then, when we arrived at 7:30 they said it wouldn't be until 8:20 before we could sit down. They said the party was running late. Really?? No apology. No anything! Hostess was matter-of-fact. TERRIBLE!!!
- That's why they call them SpecialsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014While the service was great and the ambience was lovely, we did not enjoy our experience that much, I'm sad to say. The cheeseburger was too salty, and the stripped bass "special" was fishy. I was reminded that sometimes they make a special so they can push something before it goes bad -- I think they missed a window. When I didn't touch my plate after two bites, the waiter tried to make it up with dessert. Perfect ball of vanilla, strip of caramel, and amorphous, runny blob of what we were told was tres leche cake. No thanks. If ever again, we will have drinks only.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/27/2014Decided to check out LB&B on a Monday night. We didn't realize it, but on Monday's they have a $20 prix fixe "Country Picnic" buffet menu and live music. They had 2 different salads, cornbread, deviled eggs, beans, potato salad, coleslaw, fried chicken, ribs, veggies and green bean casserole. The price also included dessert - bread pudding. I think the buffet choices might change - but it was a steal considering how much food was available to choose from. We are excited to go back on a regular night to try other things on the menu, but will definitely come back on a Monday too!Special Features:
- Now attained outstanding foodRickVIPDined on 10/25/2014What to say but order anything and i bet you'll be impressed.Special Features:
- Bustlin' BrusselsJezza2468Dined on 10/11/2014The Duck Brussel Sprout Brunch was legit awesome. We also got some fried oysters for the table that were amazing.Special Features:
- Very HipFoodsnobDined on 9/20/2014I went for brunch with a group of 8. The bloody mary's were solid (I always love olives without asking). I had the eggs benedict - it was delicious and incredibly interesting. The spicy beer-braised kale and homemade sweet spam complimented each other well. If I hadn't just played 6 games of doubles sand vb, the portion would have been perfect, but I was still a little hungry when I was done. My friend ordered the chicken and waffles - that was a large portion. Parking was challenging, but once inside it was a cool place, with an energetic vibe, with interesting good food. I will go again (someday - I live pretty north).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and betterRickVIPDined on 9/4/2014Have been here 1/2 a dozen times and it just gets better. And the bar is improving, too.Special Features:
- Good vibe but limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Really liked the drinks, food was creative (flatbread) and good, but the menu is too small and the options didn't thrill me. I love Boticellis and the owner is nice, I just wish there were more options. If the menu was larger/ broader I would go back all the time. As for now I will just keep going back to Boticellis! :)Special Features:
- Loud and just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014This is my third visit and I have yet to be impressed with Barrel & Brown. As much as I would like to recommend it, I simply can not. The restaurant was extremely loud, making it difficult to carry on a conversation with a person across the table without having to yell at them. The service was good, but the food was just OK. The food was cooked as ordered, but the presentation was less than what I would expect for the price. There are a lot of restaurants in downtown and near South Austin that provide a better menu offering and environment for the price than B&B.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The food, service and ambiance were all great. The acoustics were horrible. The restaurant was only half full, but neither of us could hear a word the other was saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu is eccentric but fancyharelinefractureDined on 8/2/2014the first thing I noticed was that the place was empty. but I do live and dine in soco, so I know that business traffic is fickle. it was a saturday night but still, you never can tell. I appreciated the fact that the place was not so loud like a nightclub, as I was in an important meeting. I was so glad we chose to go there. the service was great and the menu was sparse, a sure sign that anything you order will be good. the waitress was able to suggest the perfect cocktail for me. I was lusting after my companion's sides, so the waiter brought me a monkey bowl of celery root slaw (to die for!)! this is a place to take someone from out of town to impress them, that's what I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Nice place but the tables are to close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, small portionsmimosaluvrDined on 7/27/2014We went there for brunch. Our service was fantastic. However, the food was mediocre and the portions small. My friend had the chicken and waffles, which was too expensive for the portion. This is something I could have made. I had the truffle potato and eggs. It was decent. Again the portion was small. I think they should have one more eggs on it. My other friend had the duck hash. This was pretty good, but again the portion was small. I left hungry. I did however, really enjoy the grapefruit mimosa.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Little Barrel and Brown reviews archive.
- Underwhelmed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Way overpriced for what it is...nothing special. The fried chicken was good but came with a about two tablespoons of slaw and nothing else. Arugula salad was unremarkable.
- Amazing BrunchmblairDined on 7/20/2014I Came here on Sunday for brunch with some friends, the chicken and waffles were amazing and so was the service! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LuvATXfoodDined on 7/16/2014Don't miss out on this new(er) place. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Brunch ExperienceWhit517Dined on 7/6/2014I read about this place a few times recently and finally decided to check it out. We were promptly greeted and sat. The waitress was sweet and quick to answer any questions. Decor is cute and trendy, lots of exposed light bulbs and details like the antique style vent covers were nice. Food was amazing. We had the red potato dish with blue cheese, tons of flavor and the guanciale - pork salami - added a nice crunch! Lots of poached eggs on the brunch menu. Also tried the steak with red wine sauce - more like a gravy. Had a side of bacon and I must say, it absolutely melted in my mouth. Overall both dishes were great, pricing on mimosas was fair and the overall visit was lovely. Can't wait to come back for happy hour or dinner soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ServiceBillrVIPDined on 6/20/2014The restaurant gets better and better. The service was friendly and knowledgeable .Special Features:
- Disappointed..LousonVIPDined on 6/15/2014I was very excited to dine at Little Barrel & Brown but my experience was ruined when we waited more than 35 minutes for our food. Food was okay.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014Delicious cheeseburger! Lovely staff. Overall solid not pretentious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant!PMR1Dined on 5/30/2014This is a great restaurant on S. Congress!! Special fan of the seafood dishes-- others as well including the hamburger. Service is super--ask for waiter Sean!Special Features:
- A Good StartRickVIPDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant clearly has love written all over it. The owners probably didn't want to improve the decor until they were confident that they could get a return on their investment. The chef is good and probably better than I know, but have been there only once. Go for the food and the drinks and the value. Give them encouragement and some cash-flow so they can improve the ambience. Meanwhile, a good hangout for food and drink that will please you.
- Restaurant WeekdoogieDined on 5/18/2014Food was hit or miss--excellent scallop, pork shoulder, fish, vegetarian entree, but cold squash soup and tomato/strawberry/ricotta salad not quite working. Avoid the wine "pairing," which was a complete mismatched flop. Service was poorly timed and seemed a bit confused, even on an only moderately busy night. Nice space, hopeful some of the kinks will be worked out next time.
- Great find!AustinDined on 5/18/2014Very happy with the food, service, and experience! Fried green tomatos were fantastic! Presentation of all food was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Austin Local Restaurantwhere2eatDined on 5/17/2014Great food! Great Service! Cool decor and atmosphere! Great for groups of 6-8 people.Special Features:
- bbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2014Food was ehhh. Waited forever for service. Tables are really close so you hear hear the neighbors convoSpecial Features:
- First VisitMasVinoDined on 5/12/2014We had a very warm welcome when we arrived and our table was ready. We specifically came for ARW. Our server was very friendly; although new so unable to provide recommendations. We started with the Mussels app off the main menu and they were delicious! The Quail and Scallop starter for ARW were both great. The tomato and strawberry course was one of my least favorites. Although nice and light, it was mostly tomatoes and not all were ripe in my opinion. The Snapper was cooked well and tasted great. They were out of Pork, disappointing. The Hangar steak was undercooked and the dish was underwhelming. I sent back a barely touched plate but no concern from staff. Overall we had a good experience; minor improvements needed. Ambiance great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBenLVIPDined on 5/11/2014Food simply not good. Service so-so. Good looking space though.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Mom's day but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food was creative and very, very good. Everyone enjoyed. Price Fix menu a bargain. Fun decor. We were the first table. As soon as one more table came in, our party could not hear each other from one end of the 7-top table to the other. The one complaint I have for this and so many restaurants in Austin is that they do nothing to mitigate the crowd noise. With all the hard surfaces, a restaurant quickly becomes a trying experience. I truly do not enjoy going out to dinner with anyone except my spouse or 1 additional diner because I can never hear the rest of the party. Such was the case at LB&B. But I do recommend the menu. If you have great hearing, or a small party, you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and a fantastic menuKevinDined on 5/10/2014An excellent dining experience-- the quality of the food was superb. My girlfriend and I often find that higher-end restaurants tend to over-salt their food, but we found that everything at LB&B was seasoned to perfection. The dishes were excellent-- a new take on old classics but never so unfamiliar as to be alienating. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/9/2014new favorite restaurant, cannot wait to go back! everything was excellent - meal was not rushed. ambiance was perfect and everything we ate was amazing.Special Features:
- Great brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014I had the tofu scramble and it was delicious! I would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvsavoryVIPDined on 4/24/2014The restaurant faced some electrical issues while we were there, but they persevered. The entree's were excellent. We had the Monkfish Special and the Red Snapper and enjoyed them very much. The "Small Bites" section of the menu really contains appetizer portions for and individual. The "Appetizer" section contains table sized servings. If I were the restaurant I might rebrand both. The desserts were awesome. Our waiter, Jacob, was excellent. Very pleasing personality and very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodHungryOneDined on 4/9/2014This was my second time going to LB&B and my experience was just as good the second time as it was the first. The food was excellent and the service was top notch. The interior is lends itself as a good place to eat dinner with a date or event a small group of friends. The food and drink prices are reasonable. I've referred many people to the restaurant and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little too salty..MTMATXDined on 4/5/2014All 4 of the folks in my party commented how salty there food was. Even the salad. Otherwise nice atmosphere and location. Great service too.
- The menu has lots of creativeEaterDined on 4/5/2014The menu has lots of creative twists to standards. Pickles includes turnips with fennugreek and is very good. I recommend the country pate with a bacon jam. Like I said, creative twists. The fried chicken is brined and then marinated in buttermilk with a nice crispy outside that is not heavy.Special Features:
- AWESOMEtigreyezVIPDined on 3/27/2014Second visit - still very good! Service fast & efficient, really surprised by the larger sized apps making it easier to share them w a group. Cheese Fries, Beer battered Shrimp - more like bar food, but tasty! Would be good to see a few appetizer options that were not so heavy. Squash soup - 5 stars all the way! Order it! Surprised by a couple reviews about the Scallop dish: We thought it was so outstanding and delicious - we commended the chef personally! The lamb chops are also just perfectly prepared ...the kumquats a very nice compliment to them. Dessert is where Barrel is seriously lacking any menu ingenuity. Having tried them all - not one stands out as very good. Interior is stark,could use a warm up to make you feel more at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright experience...FunFoodieDined on 3/1/2014Friends from out of town came in for a visit, and I wanted to show them a cool Austin experience. The restaurant itself is very cute and has a great atmosphere. Our appetizers were great, especially the mussels and the deviled eggs. Our entrees were good, but not spectacular. I would go eat there again, but our waiter was not very attentive at all. He seemed preoccupied with his other smaller tables, even though we were ordering plenty and had a large tab. A few times I decided to give up on ordering extras, just because he never came around. Although he wasn't the greatest, we still tipped over 20% on our bill because we are also service industry folks. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.Special Features:
- New on SoCoEatoutoftenDined on 2/28/2014Had a little difficulty finding restaurant though I've lived in Bouldin for years; signage had yet to be added. I was a little surprised to find so many tables available on a Friday night. That said, service was great. I had the pork belly special served over barley with spinach and Brussel sprouts. Very good though could have been warmer. Otherwise, all was well.I would recommend this to a friend.