La Toscana Ristorante
3751 Redwood Highway
San Rafael, CA 94903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Toscana Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantelatoscana.com/
- Phone: 4154929100x
- Hours of Operation:
Mondays 11:30 am to 9 pm
Tuesday - Thursday 11:30 am to 9:30 pm
Friday and Saturday 11:30 am to 10 pm
Sundays 4 pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giovanni Raccanello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party facilities are available for parties of 17 or less in our Bar Room. Please contact the restaurant to request the Private Dining Room.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Riella 415-492-9100x
A word from La Toscana Ristorante
We are centrally located off Hwy. 101 in San Rafael, across for the famous Frank Lloyd Wright Marin Civic Center. La Toscana is a family owned and operated Italian restaurant and bar located in Marin County. It was established in 1985 by Paolo Mori, his wife, Marilyn, and Michele Quilici. The owners all grew up in Lucca, Italy and immigrated to the U.S. in the late 1950s. They wanted to create an atmosphere that reminded them of home – a place where locals would gather to eat, meet friends and family and celebrate with food and wine as every Italian family does. Chef and co— owner Giovanni Racanello joined La Toscana in 1986. Paolo and Marilyn’s daughter, Laura Mori Riella, and youngest son, Michael Mori, joined the La Toscana team in 1992 and 2002, respectively. Paolo loved to make people feel welcome and, just like all the Moris, enjoyed his food and wine and loved to see others do the same. This is the proud tradition that La Toscana carries on.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
La Toscana Ristorante - Best Restaurants in San Rafael ›
La Toscana Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (26)good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (14)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (12)romantic (9)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Great place for a family gatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014The small private room was the perfect location to entertain family visiting from out of town. Everyone enjoyed their meals and thanks to our waiter Greg, the service could not have been better. It was a really wonderful evening and I look forward to visiting again soon.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprisemarleneDined on 9/6/2014Had only been there once, many years ago, but this time it seemed modernly remodeled. My request for a quiet table was granted, and it was a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it another chanceTag1Dined on 8/28/2014Used to be favorite place. Will give it one more chance. Last eve carbonara, fish special & gnocchi were excellent. Ceasar soggy & upset my stomach... (I am not that sensitive). Meatball & spaghetti dry. Mother's Day set menus was disappointing - fish stew overwhelmed w/ thick colored cream sauce, also used on daughters pasta. Go early for less noise level. Hope they get back to great consistency.Special Features:
- High ExpectationsJImSDined on 8/15/2014We visited La Toscana Ristorante with high expectations. First, the service was great. The hosts and wait staff were very attentive. I ordered the special, a breaded pork chop, and my wife had chicken marsala. We both had salads, spinach and arugula respectively. The salads were fresh and very tasty. My wife found the chicken marsala nothing more than ordinary and confessed she would not order it again. The breaded pork chop was served with gnocchi, which was well prepared and flavorful. The breaded pork chop was served saddled atop the gnocchi and that's where the dish began to fail. The breading on the chop turned to mush and the gnocchi became grainy from the breading. Too many capers and a very tough chop spoiled it all.
- Great neighborhood diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We have always been impressed with consistently great food, comfortable ambience, friendly staff, and moderate prices. Recent remodel really has made this establishment a neighborhood gem. Very close to civic center, shopping, freeway.Special Features:
- Great lasagna!!funfoodsDined on 8/6/2014We started with a delicious caesar salad. The lettuce was fresh and the dressing was perfect. The lasagna was one of the best we've ever tasted. I would go back just for that. The other entree, chicken picatta was very nice although I prefer the chicken pounded. The sauce was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fare.AHappyCamperDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good indeed. Drinks and selection of wines likewise. Service was attentive but unpleasant. I suspect this was unique to the server we had.Special Features:
- UnexpectedDaisyDined on 7/24/2014When we walked in at 11:30 for a quick lunch we noticed no other customers: scary...but this proved to be a great time cause it was boomin by noon! Great food, lovely decor. Outside looks old, but inside took you somewhere else Italy? Don't know...our server was attentive, food came quickly. Great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprise!SwamimomyDined on 7/22/2014La Toscana is a neighborhood restaurant that I hadn't been to in 20 years when friends suggested dinner there. The restaurant has recently been remodeled, opening it up to feel spacious. The menu was classic but modern Italian. Everything was very good. We won't wait 20 years to go back again.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysMarinDinerDined on 7/22/2014I've never had a bad meal at La Toscana. I highly recommend the Pescatore. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good3jsssVIPDined on 7/19/2014I had the lamb chop salad, which came with two nice sized chops over a bed of greens. The chops were cooked as I requested. Delicious. My husband had the calamari steak dore, which he loves and feels La Toscana knows just how to make that delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mellanzanediana1958Dined on 7/16/2014The eggplant was different from your usual type. I actually enjoyed no red sauce and just a slice of tomato and cheese but the eggplant was way too greasy. The plate was full of oil I actually could not eat it. I will go back as everything else we ordered was wonderful but not order the eggplant. Great wine list & happy hour small plates and 1/2 off wine Bottles on Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfultmfoodieDined on 7/11/2014One of our family's favorites for years and years. The restaurant has been remodeled and it is beautiful. The food is always great. Sergio is our favorite waiter. He always takes good care of us. It's a family owned restaurant and it's always wonderful to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatalotDined on 7/8/2014Excellent food and good service. Very good Chicken Picatta. Recommend.Special Features:
- Great experience!JLT1Dined on 7/2/2014Great remodel, the place comes alive. The food is also great and consistent.Special Features:
- Nice FindTWdiningDined on 6/17/2014I have been going to this restaurant probably since they first opened. The upgrade was needed and they did a nice job. I went with two friends and we sat at the bar to eat dinner and have drinks. We had a really good time and the ambience was good. We will go back and sit in the dining room next time.
- I love this restaurant!foodiewithflairDined on 6/15/2014My family has been going to this restaurant for years. My aunt lived right around the corner but since she passed we had not been in a while (since the remodel) but it is still the same wonderful place! My daughter and I took my 89 year old Father there for Father's Day last Sunday. Unfortunately, they no longer serve Sunday brunch (which used to be one of our favorite occasions)! Other than that, they are still doing great business and cooking wonderful food. The staff is extremely pleasant and the ambience of the restaurant has a nice family feel (but this restaurant is also date-worthy)! I think they did a great job on the remodel - updated all finishes but still kept the warm family feel. I would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuccaDined on 6/15/2014Terrific spot, now really first rate after remodeling and updatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food In San RafaelwolfyDined on 6/11/2014My wife and I went here recently for our anniversary and loved it. Great food, service was very good and would recommend it if you want a nice Italian food experience.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014As always...it was Terrific ! Warm Welcome ,great food !Special Features:
- Very Nice Updated Menu and DecorPidgeonDined on 6/8/2014La Toscana has continued its' makeover, and the Ristorante looks great. Went on a Sunday evening and the place was packed. All entres' ordered were very good and well prepared. Our reservation was at 6:30. They were so busy that they ran out of the fish special and the roasted potatoes. We will return soon to sample more of the new menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodSam22Dined on 6/5/2014It was my first time to La Toscana Ristorante and boy, was I impressed. The service was top -notch, food excellent. We had a tough choice with the array of deserts, but were pleased with those as well.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteMarinDinerDined on 6/3/2014We dine at La Toscana frequently and have never been disappointed. Highly recommend the pasta pescatore or any of the nightly specials. Really good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- disappointed in main coursesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014I have been to La Toscana a few times and have really enjoyed their pasta dishes. We went last night and ordered arancini for a starter. The flavor was good but the dish was cold. We then ordered the filet mignon and the trout. The filet mignon was cooked well but had no sauce with it. We asked for sauce and they gave us a mountain of mushrooms on top of the steak. The trout was not flavorful and the rice and broccoli were cold. The service was good very friendly. I would go back but I will stick to the pasta and wine from now on.
- Good food, service, location.dining4funDined on 5/23/2014We drove up from San Francisco on a Friday night to attend an event at the Marin Veteran's Memorial Auditorium. It was particularly convenient since the restaurant is located close to the freeway and the auditorium. Would recommend this restaurant to those who would enjoy traditional Italian fare in a quiet, casual setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As The North End in BostonPintzieDined on 5/20/2014Great Italian food - we are from Boston and this is about as good as the food you get in the North End. Ingredients fresh, wonderful homemade sauces and delicious desserts. What a great find in San Rafael.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 230 reviews are from the La Toscana Ristorante reviews archive.
- La Toscana does it again!!wannaeatDined on 5/15/2014La Toscana is the real deal. Every single dish is perfection. The timing between courses is just right....no rush....the wait staff is courteous and intuitive. A great place with great prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Marin RestaurantCapoTele100Dined on 5/10/2014There are a few left and this is one of them. Always top service and great food. Excellent menu and prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Noise cancelling headset required!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014We asked for the quiet room..........I would hate to have been seated in the loud room. I know 4 Italian restaurants better than La Toscana in Marin......the Pacific Sun's rating is bogus.Special Features:
- Great Local DiningJeanVIPDined on 5/3/2014The tips to request a larger table paid off as the two person tables are way too tiny for two people. The calamari dore, arugula prawn salad, fritto mista, and tiramisu were all excellent. We asked our server for recommendations - between the salads and the appetizers but she just said that all were great and we'd love any of them. Ditto when we asked about dessert. It would be nice to have some insider input.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant. It's been remodeled and looks very nice, especially the entry and bar. The main dining area, average. The clientele, local, older folks. But I was there at 6:15 PM on a Fri night, so maybe a younger crowd comes in later. My salmon was very good though it was a bit "McDonald's -like" in that our meal arrived within 5 minutes of ordering. How do they do that? Can't be freshly cooked, right? Wine was good. I paid $53 (tax, tip incl.) for an entrée and 2 glasses of wine. As usual, wine is the major profit center. Irks me. I'd go back for sure. Maybe better for a weekday dinner with friends rather than special occasion or nice Friday / Sat dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariniteDined on 4/27/2014Some utensils, water glasses and bottles were not clean. There appeared to be some type of sauce caked onto the water bottle which should have been noticed. Service was slow and the wait person had to be reminded to bring things. Overall lackluster experience.
- A gem!NativeDined on 4/27/2014I have never had a bad meal here. Service, food and atmosphere are all wonderful! Try the calamari steak, you will never eat it anywhere else.Special Features:
- JulieJulieDined on 4/25/2014We were a group of 6 for a birthday celebration. Had a great time, good good, service great and the restaurant made up a special dessert for the birthday lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Toscana Recent Remodelouttolunch5Dined on 4/16/2014We have gone to this restaurant over the years. We love the fact that they remodeled. It is nice to have a door off the parking lot now. It is a relief that they now have a family friendly bathroom. We like the simple look of the remodel. Adding an outdoor area was a good idea. We all looked at the private dining room, and thought that we would like to have a special event there. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I like that the entrees are served in two sizes. We enjoyed raviolis, risotto, and cannelloni. There were five of us ranging in age from 2 to 93....and we were all happy after our lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteMarinDinerDined on 4/15/2014I can always count on a great meal at La Toscana. It's a favorite spot to meet with friends. Service and food are consistently very good.Special Features:
- always fab1bartenderVIPDined on 4/8/2014great food, always consistent, good wine list/bar. great remodeling done recentlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny TablesbistrofanDined on 4/8/2014This was not our first visit to La Toscana in San Rafael, but it was the first time everything on the table kept falling to the floor. The tables for 2 are so tiny that even the bread basket does not fit. Add a water glass and a dinner plate and we juggled all through the meal to keep everything on the table. We were no successful. If you reached for the salt, something when flying off. They can really pack the room, but much of the silverware, service plates etc. are on the floor. Good food and good service. We will go back, but will seek a large table the next time.Special Features:
- Food was good, excellent wineBookladyDined on 3/31/2014Food was good, excellent wine list, service was a little slow. Noise level climbed considerably and made for difficulty in conversing later during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodxxxyDined on 3/23/2014The lemon tagliatelle with seafood was delicious; the fish not overlooked and the pasta tender and flavorful. The service was discreet and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.