208 Wilson St
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lagarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7075284355
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Praplan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from La Gare
Family-owned La Gare still keeps in mind its founding principles: fresh local ingredients, top French and European cooking techniques, and making everything served in the restaurant from scratch. Gluten Free menu available. Extensive local wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Gare reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (17)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014THE BEEF WELLINGTON WAS NOT WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, VERY STRANGE TASTE.
- Wonderful classic french restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Excellent service. The food was classic French. We enjoyed every bite. The décor is very plain and I can see the Swiss accent in the wooden chairs. Where can you get Cherries Jubilee done in the classic style tableside...Le Gare! Caesar Salad also is done tableside! They have a nice selection of half bottles of wine so that you can have a different varietal with every course. We will be back every time we are in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a very nice placesentimentalistDined on 8/14/2014still one of the classic places in santa rosa. it is not for the 30 or 20 somethings. it is more for the older crowd. there is no view and it can be stuffy in the summer, but it has a good choice off the menu. very friendly people, and you get what you paid for...salad, soup and main course with two sidesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Known quantitythomashowardDined on 8/9/2014As always great food. We have dined at Le Gare many times over the years. Many people have discovered what we already know.You don't have to travel out of town and spend a lot more when you have good restaurants that have been successful here for many yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful findMangiamamaDined on 8/9/2014As a traditional French restaurant, this venerable Railroad Square establishment is a real jewel. The front of the house service was nearly perfect and imagine my surprise when I found out the place was not French, but Swiss, who are noted for their hospitality training. Oh, the usual suspects were there, Canard a l'orange and frog's legs, but the ambiance was Swiss. Since my family is Swiss, I was delighted! The house salad, with its Dijon dressing, was so good, I could have had it as my whole meal. Wine prices were reasonable, as well, and we toasted my husband's and my 50th anniversary with some friends and a nice bottle of champagne.Special Features:
- Delicious french cuisinelookingforfrenchfoodDined on 8/7/2014Delicious dinner, attentive servers and hostess. Diamond in the rough for excellent dining. Try the beef wellington or poulet Marco Polo, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidVIPDined on 7/30/2014Made to feel right at home from time we arrived to departure. Service was gracious, attentive. Menu items were described to us. Salmon tartare was fresh and enough to share. The schnitzle was tender and flavorful as was the coq au vain. Wine list extensive enough to satisfy tastes. Will return.Special Features:
- disappointingsophierose729Dined on 7/27/2014Food seemed on par with banquet fair. Not fresh, main course dry, sauce was dull and tasted like last night's leftovers.
- AmazingJollyDined on 7/26/2014i ad a very good time service was amazing even though it was a packed house.Special Features:
- A throw-back to the times long goneLoveToEatOutDined on 7/18/2014Tired old-fashioned menu of what used to be thought of as "French classics". Preparation and plating are boring at best. Service, however, is very friendly and professional. There are many great restaurants in Santa Rosa and to compete La Gare needs some serious overhaul.
- waitress servicelulunquiDined on 7/14/2014Great place, good food, just our waitress not to friendly, was 7pm, so maybe he was tired?!, to serious, kind of cold person...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The atmosphere was wonderful. The food was delicious. The waitstaff was well-trained. The only downfall Camille was the desert. My fresh fruit tart came with fresh blueberries fresh plums and canned peaches.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014Classic "American, French, style Resturant", good service, sell prepared food, AND, minimum background noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing dinnerbellyfullDined on 6/21/2014It was our first visit to La Gare. We went with friends for a special evening. Since I am a vegetarian I had very few choices. I could have chosen the pasta dish with tubular noodles or spanakopita. I wanted something light , so I chose spanakopita. I expected light, flakey, filo dough pastry filled with spinach. Instead I got a large square of filo dough that was fried and filled with spinach and heavy cheese ! It was so heavy and rich that I could not eat it. It wasn't tasty and the meal was very disappointing. The restaurant is quite pricey and I would expect a better meal if I'm spending that kind of money.
- SHamptonDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent as usual and the service was perfect. We look forward to going for our anniversary each year. It seems we always see someone we know who is also celebrating. It is a warm and friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le GareBD51Dined on 6/19/2014This was our first time dining here. We had a gift card to use for dinner. Arriving a little early for our 6PM reservation, the restaurant was totally deserted. However, the tables began filling rapidly after 6 o'clock. Perhaps this is due to the local parking meters needing to be paid up until 6 PM. The special pork schnitzel, French Onion soup, and sole almondine were all excellent. We are looking forward to returning to Le Gare in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful1930ClassicIronDined on 6/15/2014We have been here many times. Always wonderful. The staff is great.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteKenMcLDined on 6/15/2014If we lived closer to Santa Rosa we would eat at La Gare all the time. This restaurant never fails to deliver. Where else can you get sweetbreads that just melt in your mouth. We always try to get John as our server as he is so friendly and understands our preferences. Anytime you are up in the wine country this is a must stop on your way home.Special Features:
- OK, not greatWineCountryFoodieDined on 6/14/2014Celebrated our 28th Anniversary at La Gare. Food/service/execution was OK, but not great. Overall experience was on the "tired" side. La Gare clearly needs a shot of inspiration in the arm, that is, if they wish to cater to their faithful customers for another decade. And, they can do so and still maintain a solid hold on traditional French cuisine, which is fabulous fare if executed properly. La Gare's menu is classic, décor says country, so where is the Pot-au-feu, Bouillabaisse, Moules Marinière? Potato-leek soup was weak and bland. And BTW, it's June (summer). Where's the Vichyssoise? Salads were very flat, boring. And, it's NOT "Coc au Vin. It's "Coq" au Vin. No such word as Coc. At $165 for 2, pretty sure we will not return.
- Great romantic EveningjncbDined on 6/7/2014The service and ambiance is wonderful. Very nice romantic evening for our 11 year anniversary. I asked that the meal be spread out and not too fast so we could enjoy the bottle of wine we ordered. They got the timing perfect! They even brought out a little cake for us on the house even though we declined ordering desert (we were too full!) We felt welcomed and important - never rushed! The escargot was the best thing we ordered - absolutely fantastic! The mushroom soup was nothing special, though tasty - salad had way too much dressing on it - and the Beef Wellington was just OK; the pastry was still doughy inside. We will definitely return and try more things on the menu.Special Features:
- Too expensive for what you gethibrauDined on 6/6/2014We spent the same amount here as we did at Rue Lepic in San Francisco, except that there were three of us at Rue Lepic and only two of us at La Gare. The wine pour and portions were very generous, but the food was not special. With truly great French restaurants just an hour away in San Francisco, I wouldn't recommend La Gare for the price. My husband had the steak au poivre and I had steak with a wine/shallot sauce and bone marrow. Both sauces were ordinary. I would have liked a more interesting side, like potatoes au gratin. Also, the meal came with soup, but they charged me the full $8.50 menu price for substituting the onion soup. The regular soup was $5, so shouldn't I have just paid $3.50 for the substitution?
- KathyDined on 5/25/2014My 86 year old mother wanted to go here for dinner, so we agreed. my husband and I had eaten here ten years previously. Overall, the service was good, but the food was expensive and taste underwhelming.Special Features:
- Great meal every time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I have been going to La Gare's for years and have never been disappointed. The crab cakes always a favorite. I had the salmon on our last visit and it was delicious. It was accoumpied with rice and vegetables, making a perfect combination. My husband had the filet of soul, great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School French RestaurantNaturalHorsemanVIPDined on 5/22/2014My bride and I had a blast at La Gare. We were in Sonoma on a 4 day holiday for our 44th anniversary. We booked La Gare and walked a block from Hotel La Rose. One of the owners, Jacquie, greeeted us as we entered, brought us to our table and talked with us about our trip, our visit to Hot Couture, and we got her recommendations. Our waiter, John, was equally fun, equally knowlegable and made it a great evening. The busboy gave us his insights on food ingredients as well. What a team! We started with some killer little vegetable soup. followed by (for me) the Jacquie Salad - boston lettuce vinairgrette with hearts of palm, the frogs legs, Merry Edwards Sauvignon blanc and a KILLER cherries Jubilee prepared at table. BIG FUNSpecial Features:
- Traditional French RestaurantFastidiousVIPDined on 5/22/2014There is very little unusual, creative, or striking about the standard French food at La Gare. The food is good but not so good that you will remember the experience for years or even months. The service tended to be a little slow, though the restaurant was less than half full, and they needed to be hurried along as we had a theater engagement. The ambiance is nice enough and quiet, so that you can easily have a conversation without raising your voice. This might make it a good romantic choice, especially with the cherries jubilee to impress your date.Special Features:
- Great place for FoodRobsvenVIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our first time to this restaurant and we both enjoyed the food and service. We would make this a regular place to go when we visit Santa Rosa in the future!Special Features:
- love22Dined on 5/16/2014Our meal was wonderful with one exception - the rib eye was over cooked, tough and had little flavor. I was disappointed it was not taken off our check because we informed our waiter about it - but it remained on our bill. I don't believe in getting something for nothing but I do believe some sort of compensation would have made our visit perfect.
- Great Anniversary DinnerSherriDined on 5/15/2014We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at LaGare. We were treated warmly by Jackie and promptly seated. Our waiter was John, who took very good care of us. We had the Chateau Briand for two which was excellent. The chef, Roger, made us a special dessert with Happy 20th Anniversary written on it. Thank you LaGare staff for another special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still the best.Williams700Dined on 5/11/2014I loved my Mother's Day Dinner at LaGare. It always so good. We have been eating here for over 30 years, I can't remember having a bad meal. I had fresh wlld Salmon. It was wonderful. They serve soup & salad, with the main course. Not to many places give soup and salad anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place...ivanDined on 5/4/2014Went recently on a sunday. Booked reservation via open table, found out when I got there that their official opening time was 5 pm even though reservations were for 430 pm. They still sat us and service was quick and efficient. Waiter was great recommended the house wine to go with our pork schnitzel which was very good and webt well together. Overall great experience would go back again. Wasnt to happy with were we were seated in a corner next to wall which made it feel a little tight even though most of the resteraunt was open. But overall everything was great food and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS EVENINGGeGeDined on 5/3/2014I TOOK A FRIEND TO DINNER AND SHE HAD NEVER BEEN THERE. SHE LOVED THE CHAMPAGNE, FOUND THE SOUP, SALAD, ENTREE, AND DESSERT ALL ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING. WE BOTH HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE. THE WAIT STAFF WERE PROFESSION, KNOWLEDGIBLE, AND ALWAYS SMILE ON THEIR FACE. THEY KEPT A CLOSE EYE ON OUR TABLE WITHOUT BEING PESTY OR INTRUSIVE. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TOO ANYONE.Special Features:
- After All These Year and still goodwinecountrybruceDined on 5/3/2014We had the Beef Wellington which few resturants serve any more. It was good but not out of this world great. We love the resturant and the staff. The only thing we would appreciate is more comfortable seating instead of the hard seats.Special Features:
- The following 89 reviews are from the La Gare reviews archive.
- Wine Country FindBrentDined on 4/27/2014Really great little secret find tucked into the historic district of Railroad Square. Good food, nice service and excellent wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Easter dinnerDianeVIPDined on 4/20/2014A wonderful end to a beautiful Easter day celebration. We were fortunate to find a restaurant serving dinner on this holiday. The French/European style of cooking produced a delicious leg of lamb with vegetables and mashed potatoes. They always serve soup and a small salad with dinner orders. Their desserts are extradordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent expereince!!!SantaRosaGareVIPDined on 4/20/2014We were greeted and seated promptly. We had the dining options of the menu, Easter dinner special or that evening's special. We opted for the evening special of King Salmon. Our food was delicious! Our server, John was very courteous, polite, professional and had a great sense of humor!! We will definitely return. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing everything!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The fiancé and i went to La Gare on a sat night, around 745pm. Called, got reservations, walked in, was sat immediately. Our server was outstanding! Don't recall his name now, but all the staff were just awesome! Ordered salmon and the steak, both dishes were perfection on a plate. We also brought in a bottle of wine, which the staff complimented and we appreciated the hospitality. Food was all top of the line, prices weren't too over the top expensive, and the service was great. I did review the wine list and it was a solid one! GO to this place, have fun, enjoy the night.. top top top of the line!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SpotIndikosDined on 4/18/2014Loved the atmosphere -- took me back to places we see in old movies. I liked the food ( the Beef Wellington and Crab cakes). When I went there the place was busy, somewhat noisy. I wish they had a full bar.Special Features:
- La Gare is AWESOME!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014We highly recommend La Gare as one of the better restaurants in Santa Rosa! Jackie is great at the front reception desk and John is one of the best servers anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodluvmesomefoodDined on 4/16/2014The Escargot is the very best I have found anywhere. There are many delectable choices on the menu, but I purposely choose the chicken breast in brandy/mushroom/cream sauce (forgotten the name) to compare against others who have overdone the chicken and butchered the sauce. It was excellent! Prepared to perfection! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerNY4TruthDined on 4/16/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and enjoyed the evening. The positives were John, our waiter, who was attentive and pleasant and the rack of lamb we shared. The negatives were the chairs (a bit uncomfortable as they are hardwood and no cushions), the crab cakes (too much filler made them mushy). The first wine we ordered from the wine list was sold out so we chose another wine that was $45 and had a screw cap. It was OK and went with the meal but wish they had the one we wanted. Overall we had a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.