Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kuurestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7134611688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Adison Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Kuu Restaurant
Former Nobu London Chef Adison Lee brings his imagination to life with his restaurant KUU in Houston. Chef Adison Lee uses unique flavor combinations to take you on a journey of culinary excellence. Features a seasonal menu and responsibly fished seafood from local fishermen and the world famous Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan. KUU is committed to serving small, sharable plates with stimulating flavors and plating. Our devotion to responsibly sourcing our products shows through the ever evolving seasonal menu. KUU will be offering an extensive list of imported sakes and wines along with our hand crafted cocktail menu by our mixologist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kuu Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (42)romantic (25)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (21)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014Definitely worth venturing outside the loop to experience !Special Features:
- Not bad but differentMikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Menu took a little getting used to. Ordered mostly sushi and a roll. Food was ok, but nothing special. Disappointed that they only served 750ml bottles of sake (too much for just my girlfriend and me). All in all, nothing special enough to pull us away from our regular spots (Uptown Sushi and Sage 400).
- Great food both sushi and whatnotSeeFoodDietDined on 9/11/2014I liked the sushi, tried some of the wife's whatnots and they were all good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate there twice in two weeksStephSDined on 9/5/2014Kuu is a beautiful space with excellent food and service. If you enjoy fusion sushi, you will really enjoy this. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Best food option on the westside.Special Features:
- Very InconvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014When you dine, you meet people for having good time, shouldn't have hard time to select menu. There is no definition for appetizer, main entree. Main entree was not enough portion for dinner.
- Love itHookedVIPDined on 8/29/2014Couldn't ask for better service and food. One of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Superb Japanese Food; Fusion TwistLarryCosgroveDined on 8/27/2014Service was superb, and so was the food. Some non-Japanese food types melded with traditional items like sushi and sashimi. Setting was modern and great for conversation. I highly recommend Kuu to those searching for a new-style restaurant with a dose of Asia and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingBacchusBudDined on 8/25/2014We went to what we hoped would be a new 'go-to' spot for sushi and other gems in the Memorial City area. In the end, we'll never go back. We had sushi (average at best) and unimpressive rolls, followed by some select other appetizers and dishes to get a 'feel' for KUU and we ended up disappointed across the board. Luke-warm miso soup, a duck appetizer that was minuscule (for ~$15) and overly fatty. At least the sake was hot. Our server was enthusiastic, but in retrospect he seemed more like a marketer than a waiter. We went at the lunchtime peak - and sat with only about 3 other tables occupied. We were surprised, but now suspect we know why no one was there. Go only if you want a quiet spot - and don't care about quality or price.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Everything outstanding, a little pricy but worth the treatSpecial Features:
- How's this restaurant different?evvivalapappaDined on 8/20/2014Disappointing and overpriced. While looking for a new sushi place, I was attracted to KUU by its website, pictures and claim of chef's skills. I was hoping to find menu items which would really impress me. I was served a combo of the most expensive items on the menu - kobe beef hot appetizer, a mixed items cold appetizer, and a box of sashimi pieces over rock salt - tuna, yellow fin, etc. everyone has that, no? And recommendations for drinks or dessert? It depends on what you like and you can choose from the respective list. To be fair, the presentation is very impressive. Just not the substance. Not at those prices.
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Fantastic food, great wine list. Definitely worth eating here. Be sure to get the Kuu roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GiantClamDined on 8/17/2014We eat out in Houston on a regular basis and this was one of the best meals that I have had in a long long time!Special Features:
- Very good but not excellentsemifoodiesDined on 8/16/2014Dinner for 2 here the other night. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. We chose tapas-style. It might have been our selections, but while some dishes were delicious, most were more forgettable. The best was the Suzuki roll, which was full of flavour and remarkable, albeit Texas' with the jalapeno. The grilled mackerel Saba Shio was a bit oily and only just good. I liked the cold kimchi lobster (Tuna Lobster w/ Lotus Chips), but we were divided on the kimchi lobster. We avoided the sashimi and sushi because we wanted to see the creativity. All up we spent $150+ for two. Our Houston gold standard is Uchi, Kuu was good but not yet there. We also ate at Nobu NY, Chef Lee's alma mater - it too was better. Still, hope to be back.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!MaryDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time here. We were celebrating my husband's niece's b-days & all 4 of us absolutelly LOOOOVED the food. We ordered the Omakase, which is a little bit of everything, it was outstanding! Everything was so fresh, and all the dishes had a different flavor that the average person probably has never tried before. Every food item has a twist of originality. Our server Kevin was awesome. The ambience was fabulous. Tastefully decorated with a blend of different materials very well put together. Very chic & modern. We will certainly be back soon!! Thank you !! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuu was right on!HappydinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Took our 2 kids (5 $7), it was fantastic!!!!! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, non-existent serviceTexasBuyerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Good food. Sushi chefs were talented and friendly. Waitress was horrible and offered almost 0 service.Special Features:
- Delicious business lunch!CamiboonDined on 8/1/2014I recently had the pleasure of dining at this new restaurant conveninently located about 50 feet from my office. The cocktail menu was inventive and the Green with Envy that I had was delicious. The menu is designed for sharing. My lunch date had soup and I ordered the kanpaccio. It was delicious with so many flavors packed into each bite. We then split rolls which were not only inventive but more importantly delicious! So glad to have this great new place nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In HoustonMossBossDined on 8/1/2014Two Words - The Best...by far this place blows them all away. Each dish has such unique flavors and was so different from the one we had before. We tried over 10 dishes and each one was superb, its difficult to even find the words to describe how good they truly were. I eat sushi bi-weekly, but this is the utmost in quality and taste you can find in Houston, TX.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great Ambience & ServiceHockDined on 7/31/2014Great food - chef made the dishes unique. Would be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2014Excellent restaurant , great service and the BEST food. A little pricy but it is worth the treat.Special Features:
- Hit the spot!LoBoDined on 7/25/2014Went with a group of friends and had a great time. We ordered food for the table so we could taste a bit of everything. It was all good and very fresh! Great food, wine and sake! Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New great SushiFoodAddict81Dined on 7/24/2014If you are a fan of sushi, this place is a great place to try. Staff are great with good knowledge of the menu. When the restaurant isn't busy, bus staff can be a little over eager to take your plates away. The look of the restaurant is fantastic though parking can be a hassle if you go at peak hours. A must try for sure.Special Features:
- Great, unique foodsck80Dined on 7/23/2014Heard good things and glad we tried! I went her for a birthday dinner with friends and we loved the food. It is very "tapas"-style and we ordered many dishes...to many to name. Some favorites were the butternut squash soup, Rin, and Yui. The staff was very friendly, fun, and attentive. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Expecting MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014Stick to ordering the special sashimi and the special rolls. The rest i think its average. Overall its a bit overpriced. Plenty of better sushi places for lower cost. Ambiance is great though, the wine was also excellent.Special Features:
- First time...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Took a 1st date for our first visit; food and service was excellent; was a bit pricy, but the quality was there for sure;; i would go backSpecial Features:
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Overpriced and poor ambience. They are charging Uchi prices, but not delivering near the quality, service or experience. Our server was not familiar with the food being sold.
- HookedVIPDined on 7/14/2014Love the food, the service, and the ambiance. Went a couple a couple of times with some friends, then took my daughter there (who's a big sushi/sashimi fan). She loved it and can't wait go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpenseGA07Dined on 7/12/2014The food was very good at Kuu, but the price is ridiculous. My husband & I like to go to very nice, high end restaurants, with a great wine list so we are accustomed to expensive meal. however, this was ridiculous. Fro that reason, we will not go back. In all fairness, we did order Omakase, but never did we expect the check we received at the end of dinner. Spell out the cost on the menu for this type of service.Special Features:
- foodie paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Great overall Japanese food experience - amazing service and attention to detail. Very intellectual approach to the cuisine - smart menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a Nobu in HoustontjudgeVIPDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I have dined here 3 times, had 3 different servers and all were outstanding. One time we included our 13 year old niece who considers herself a sushi aficionado and we had to keep her from ordering a third Tuna Lobster with Lotus Chips. The Butternut Squash Miso Soup was also a hit with her. My new favorite is the Roast Duck Breast with Orange Miso. There are so many dishes we have not had a chance to try but so far nothing has disappointed us. The food compares favorably to the original Nobu in Los Angeles and the relatively new Nobu in Caesar's Las Vegas. The ambiance is sleek and pleasant. Creativity in the specials are on the same level with Uchi of Houston without the wait - at least for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMELagosgirlVIPDined on 7/9/2014We tried out the new restaurant for our ladies dinner as we live in the area. The atmosphere is modern Asian and very relaxing. We had excellent service and the wine guy helped us pick a very lovely bottle of wine while the server made some awesome suggestions on the food. The plates are small so you can sample several of them. We even had two desserts and didn't feel stuffed. Everything was super fresh, well cooked and presented beautifully. I will be taking my hubby back there, but not the kids. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class all the wayKyggieDined on 7/7/2014Food is great, service is great, atmosphere is great. I've been back there 3 times already. Of course, I will give this place 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MomentFulvia72Dined on 7/7/2014Food is outstanding. Flavours of some dishes reminded me Japan. Surely a place to know.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceGem11Dined on 6/30/2014The food, ambient, service and everything else are great, would definitely recommend friends and families to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryKL11Dined on 6/27/2014Went there to try it out last night. The food was decent but a little too much sauce for our taste. The salad was fresh. Our server was pleasant but clearly was very busy. Probably would not go back for a while.
- ExcellentGreatfoodDined on 6/21/2014Great service, great food, a very unique flare and blend for the sushi lover.Special Features:
- luvshushiDined on 6/21/2014Was a little taken a back when got to the restaurant. It was moderately full, but we were 15 minutes late to our reservation. I asked the hostess if we could sit in a booth, however it was a large table and the seats were uncomfortable. We asked if we could be moved to a smaller table, and she told us that the few smaller tables that were open were reserved for "regulars". She would not move us because we were late. She was young and probably a little unexperienced. It just felt like we were being "punished" for being late. It should have been handled differently. Maybe it was a miscommunication.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuu is coolMikeDined on 6/20/2014A new approach to Japanese. Basics remain but approach is unique. Truly enjoyable.Special Features:
- I'LL BE BACK!!lovetobeservedDined on 6/19/2014First time in -- WON'T be the last!!. Exceeded my expectations based on information gleaned from the website. May it always be so!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2014Always a pleasure to dine at Chef Adison's table. The plating is gorgeous, the dishes creative and delicious, featuring top-quality ingredients. Fair prices. Lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.