Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kuurestaurant.com/
- Phone: (713) 461-1688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Adison Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Kuu Restaurant
Former Nobu London Chef Adison Lee brings his imagination to life with his restaurant KUU in Houston. Chef Adison Lee uses unique flavor combinations to take you on a journey of culinary excellence. Features a seasonal menu and responsibly fished seafood from local fishermen and the world famous Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan. KUU is committed to serving small, sharable plates with stimulating flavors and plating. Our devotion to responsibly sourcing our products shows through the ever evolving seasonal menu. KUU will be offering an extensive list of imported sakes and wines along with our hand crafted cocktail menu by our mixologist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kuu Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (22)hot spot (21)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- excellent placedinner42Dined on 11/22/2014My wife and I had a fantastic dinner. The sashimi was super fresh and its preparation was traditionally yet with a pinch of modernity that left the eyes and the palate surprised at every bite. The waiter was one of the best we had in ages. Attentive and cordial without being pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great experienceBCWTXDined on 11/22/2014I usually do not write reviews for restaurants I have only been to one time, as you never know if you were there on an unusually good or bad night. I have been to Kuu 4 or 5 times now with varying party sizes, and every time has been great. The food has consistently been wonderful. I have been able to try a lot of their unique dishes, as well as the more standard sushi/sashimi, and have not been disappointed. The various dishes are better than the sum of their parts – ingredients I have either never heard of or would not have thought would go together blend together wonderfully. But at the same time, they do not overpower the fish. We always try one bite of the fish alone as our starting point, and then a bite with everything together to get the whole experience and you can see what each ingredient adds. The service has also always been top notch. We have had the same waiter more than once as well as different waiters, and they all know the menu very well and do a great job suggesting things you have not tried before (they will get you out of your normal salmon and tuna routine). Our waiters have always had the perfect mix of being there and not being there – I have never felt rushed and never felt ignored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereluckDined on 11/20/2014This was my first time to visit Kuu restaurant. I was heard about many good things about the chef ( working for NOBU restaurant etc..) . So, we decided to try at lunch time. The atmosphere was great. It is very modern and nice setting. The waiters are well trained and provided professional but friendly service. We tried grilled fish bento box. Although the portion of grilled fish was very small, it was very tasty. It had nice flavor. The disappointment was the portion was too small for $15 lunch and the jasmine rice did not go with Japanese food. Hope they change the rice to short grain rice which we, Japanese, eat. I did not need a small cake in the bento box ,but instead, I wish they can add one shumai or dumpling (gyoza) or any other side dishes. Overall, I was satisfied the restaurant. I guess I should try at dinner time to see the chef's creativity and talent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls dinnerStacynlDined on 11/15/2014Went to dinner with 3 friends. We shared a number of items and everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you can have 1 memorable dinner-awg3Dined on 11/8/2014Beautiful presentation, creative, knowledgable manager and waiter, very good service. We ordered the omikase and initially the different were brought too quickly. The waiter corrected the kitchen and the rest of the meal was memorable.Special Features:
- Delicious but food served too fastDineomightyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Courses arrived without any breaks and several together. We wish the meal had been at a much more relaxed pace. Felt very rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible lighting!cargraDined on 11/5/2014Food and service here are good. Lighting is horrible. We changed tables three times. Can't be overstated. Absolutely KILLS any hope for ambiance. And it's too bad. Great decor. I've been there now for lunch and dinner. Every table has these terrible spotlights on them...many hitting top of head or right in your eyes. Forget warmth or intimacy!! Feels like your being interrogated. Mentioned it to hostess. A light was even blinding her when she spoke to me. She was actually shielding her eyes so she could see me!! And I was standing two feet away. How could the owner/management not have figured this out yet?! Surely I'm not the only person with this complaint. I was there with my sweetie.... It really spoiled the mood.Special Features:
- Great sushiDineomightyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food was delicious but table location was awful. Seated by hostess stand at 6:45 on cold and breezy night meant we were blasted by wind every time door opened. I feel like that table should only be for diners without reservations. We were told it was only option (although she pointed to same table even before we told her we had reservations) and other parties of 2 seated further away right after us. Would have been 5 star had it not been for inflexible hostess staff that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative DiningSpike4118Dined on 11/1/2014Not your typical Japanese restaurant. Unique Asian tapas and delicious sushi, sashimi and maki. Wonderful flavor profiles and beautiful to the eye as well. Excellent unique cocktails. A must try in my book. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion at Kuu Restaurant.EnjoyinglifeTXDined on 10/29/2014What an outstanding experience. The quality of the food and freshness of the fish was exemplary. Our server was so knowledgeable we let him pick our food and he did not disappoint. The manager was also attentive and involved in all aspects of food and service. The wine list was impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJMSjm112Dined on 10/25/2014Flow of service a bit disorganized. Felt like a grand opening. Hostess said they were out of menus, dinning room was at 50% capacity. Sat down, drink order taken twice by two different servers. Started our not so great. Very nice decor and design. Sat on patio, it was great. Once correct server arrived, he was spot on. Very knowledgeable. Ordered the chefs choice sushi box. Very good. Had a few rolls, great also. Food is solid. Just need FOH organization. Will go back for sure.Special Features:
- AlwaysVIPDined on 10/25/2014One of the best experiences in a long timw. Our server and management were outstanding!The food selection and preparation was also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!WinendineDined on 10/24/2014Kuu fills the gap for fine dining in the memorial area. This restaurant is as sophisticated and delicious as Uchi with out the wait or drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the experiencetrixieDined on 10/18/2014first we had to go to 2 table before we felt we had the right table. The server was helpful explaining the menu to us. It first looked very reasonable prizing for the dishes but as the server explained you ordered something off the first page and then continue with the other 3 pages. I order 2 things with a glass of wine, the serving were very small but they were wonderful good. Others at the table seemed to enjoy their choices. The noise factor got rather loud around 8PM which made it difficult to talk. I would rate the evening good but think I will try the lunch next.Special Features:
- Please lose the attitudechickadeeDined on 10/17/2014Waitstaff, please lose the snobbish attitude. Explaining the various dishes, esp. when asked, is good but the over-the-top "specialness" of each dish made them less so. Focus should be more on diners' enjoyment of their meal. We've lived in Tokyo for 4 yrs. We respect good food AND good service - that which does not presume the resto is "more than" the customer. Both interior and exterior are stylish and the food tasty.Special Features:
- great foodGoodDined on 10/17/2014very fresh fish and special cooking style! love it and will come back for sure!Special Features:
- The BEST is Kuu!luvtodineoutDined on 10/12/2014I must say we were blown way by the outstanding service and the food was 5 stars!!!!! Just great and we will definitely be back! The Rin Roll was great! The Rock Shrimp were fabulous! The Chili Prawns were to die for! Beautiful atmosphere and great wines and cocktails! Love it!Special Features:
- Truly a gemTasteseekersVIPDined on 9/26/2014Not sure why we waited so long to try Kuu. Perhaps too many ordinary meals at restaurants claiming to be modern that show no respect or understanding of the traditional foundation of their cuisine. Kuu offers a true chef-driven menu that delivers fabulous flavors, exquisitely presented (and reasonably priced!) Service is also excellent; taking the time to help a newbie navigate the menu and allowing a leisurely paced and relaxed, casual dining experience. Outstanding! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good but could be GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Food and ambiance is great. First time here and our server was very helpful in selections. Brought my wife on our date night and two complaints were very limited wine list and the music was wrong. A place like this with such great ambiance and food needs a hip, lounge, trance music atmosphere to give it an edge and we heard slow jazz and blues. I think it also reflected in the restaurant, half full on a Saturday night and no one outside- not good. Love the outside fire and water features and no one was there! Pump up the drink selection and add in some trance/lounge music, advertise, and watch this place bloom!Special Features:
- ExcellentSandSDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Would definitely go back. A little on the expensive side so for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014Definitely worth venturing outside the loop to experience !Special Features:
- Not bad but differentMikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Menu took a little getting used to. Ordered mostly sushi and a roll. Food was ok, but nothing special. Disappointed that they only served 750ml bottles of sake (too much for just my girlfriend and me). All in all, nothing special enough to pull us away from our regular spots (Uptown Sushi and Sage 400).
- Great food both sushi and whatnotSeeFoodDietDined on 9/11/2014I liked the sushi, tried some of the wife's whatnots and they were all good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate there twice in two weeksStephSDined on 9/5/2014Kuu is a beautiful space with excellent food and service. If you enjoy fusion sushi, you will really enjoy this. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Best food option on the westside.Special Features:
- Very InconvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014When you dine, you meet people for having good time, shouldn't have hard time to select menu. There is no definition for appetizer, main entree. Main entree was not enough portion for dinner.
- Love itHookedVIPDined on 8/29/2014Couldn't ask for better service and food. One of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Superb Japanese Food; Fusion TwistLarryCosgroveDined on 8/27/2014Service was superb, and so was the food. Some non-Japanese food types melded with traditional items like sushi and sashimi. Setting was modern and great for conversation. I highly recommend Kuu to those searching for a new-style restaurant with a dose of Asia and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingBacchusBudDined on 8/25/2014We went to what we hoped would be a new 'go-to' spot for sushi and other gems in the Memorial City area. In the end, we'll never go back. We had sushi (average at best) and unimpressive rolls, followed by some select other appetizers and dishes to get a 'feel' for KUU and we ended up disappointed across the board. Luke-warm miso soup, a duck appetizer that was minuscule (for ~$15) and overly fatty. At least the sake was hot. Our server was enthusiastic, but in retrospect he seemed more like a marketer than a waiter. We went at the lunchtime peak - and sat with only about 3 other tables occupied. We were surprised, but now suspect we know why no one was there. Go only if you want a quiet spot - and don't care about quality or price.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Everything outstanding, a little pricy but worth the treatSpecial Features:
- How's this restaurant different?evvivalapappaDined on 8/20/2014Disappointing and overpriced. While looking for a new sushi place, I was attracted to KUU by its website, pictures and claim of chef's skills. I was hoping to find menu items which would really impress me. I was served a combo of the most expensive items on the menu - kobe beef hot appetizer, a mixed items cold appetizer, and a box of sashimi pieces over rock salt - tuna, yellow fin, etc. everyone has that, no? And recommendations for drinks or dessert? It depends on what you like and you can choose from the respective list. To be fair, the presentation is very impressive. Just not the substance. Not at those prices.
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Fantastic food, great wine list. Definitely worth eating here. Be sure to get the Kuu roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GiantClamDined on 8/17/2014We eat out in Houston on a regular basis and this was one of the best meals that I have had in a long long time!Special Features:
- Very good but not excellentsemifoodiesDined on 8/16/2014Dinner for 2 here the other night. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. We chose tapas-style. It might have been our selections, but while some dishes were delicious, most were more forgettable. The best was the Suzuki roll, which was full of flavour and remarkable, albeit Texas' with the jalapeno. The grilled mackerel Saba Shio was a bit oily and only just good. I liked the cold kimchi lobster (Tuna Lobster w/ Lotus Chips), but we were divided on the kimchi lobster. We avoided the sashimi and sushi because we wanted to see the creativity. All up we spent $150+ for two. Our Houston gold standard is Uchi, Kuu was good but not yet there. We also ate at Nobu NY, Chef Lee's alma mater - it too was better. Still, hope to be back.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!MaryDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time here. We were celebrating my husband's niece's b-days & all 4 of us absolutelly LOOOOVED the food. We ordered the Omakase, which is a little bit of everything, it was outstanding! Everything was so fresh, and all the dishes had a different flavor that the average person probably has never tried before. Every food item has a twist of originality. Our server Kevin was awesome. The ambience was fabulous. Tastefully decorated with a blend of different materials very well put together. Very chic & modern. We will certainly be back soon!! Thank you !! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuu was right on!HappydinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Took our 2 kids (5 $7), it was fantastic!!!!! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, non-existent serviceTexasBuyerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Good food. Sushi chefs were talented and friendly. Waitress was horrible and offered almost 0 service.Special Features:
- Delicious business lunch!CamiboonDined on 8/1/2014I recently had the pleasure of dining at this new restaurant conveninently located about 50 feet from my office. The cocktail menu was inventive and the Green with Envy that I had was delicious. The menu is designed for sharing. My lunch date had soup and I ordered the kanpaccio. It was delicious with so many flavors packed into each bite. We then split rolls which were not only inventive but more importantly delicious! So glad to have this great new place nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In HoustonMossBossDined on 8/1/2014Two Words - The Best...by far this place blows them all away. Each dish has such unique flavors and was so different from the one we had before. We tried over 10 dishes and each one was superb, its difficult to even find the words to describe how good they truly were. I eat sushi bi-weekly, but this is the utmost in quality and taste you can find in Houston, TX.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great Ambience & ServiceHockDined on 7/31/2014Great food - chef made the dishes unique. Would be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Kuu Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2014Excellent restaurant , great service and the BEST food. A little pricy but it is worth the treat.Special Features: