727 Main Street
Rapid City, SD 57701Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kathmandubistro.com/
- Phone: 6053435070
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Lunch Buffet from 11:00am-2:00pm
You may order off the menu during lunch hours as well
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Nepalese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call for availability.
- Entertainment: The Kathmandu Bistro dining experience.
Special Events: join our email list for special events.
- Special Events: join our email list for special events
- Cross Street: Mt. Rushmore Road
- Public Transit: In the summer a trolley car runs from the civic center to the historic downtown. Otherwise, there is parking along both sides of Main Street which is a one way heading west.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking along both sides of Main St (a one-way street).
A word from Kathmandu Bistro
Kathmandu Bistro is a small, intimate bistro in a historic 1886 building in downtown Rapid City. The decor includes a copper bar with food service available, an original brick wall, hardwood floors and linen. The restaurant's focus is Nepalese, Indian and Tibetan food offering a wide range of dishes including vegetarian,chicken, lamb, fish, goat, buffalo, lobster and scallops and lots of fun appetizers, salads, delicious soup and house made desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Kathmandu Bistro - Best Restaurants in Rapid City ›
Kathmandu Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Kathmandu Bistro!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food here is phenomenal! Service was slow but it was understandable due to the fact that they make each order as it is being ordered - nothing pre-made (so they say and I believe them). Despite the longer wait for food I will still frequent this restaurant for the food is great and the people working there are super friendly and nice! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food is really authentic and terrific. They were very busy but there were no short cuts in the food preparation. The garlic nan was the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Amazing Flavor!cali4ever01Dined on 8/16/2014I was a little wary to try Kathmandu because I was worried all of the food would be spicy, but I was gladly proven wrong. The food has amazing flavor and nothing is too spicy unless you order it that way. I want to have the goat curry every day of my life!!! The menu looked like it took pictures off the internet to show what the food may look like, so when you got your meal it looked different, but I didn't mind once I tasted it. I thought it was fun to be adventurous in a city that is known for their meat and potatoes.Special Features:
- Culture in the HillsKittenDined on 8/8/2014We have been coming to this restaurant once a week since it opened. We love it! We have been to Indian/Curry restaurants around the globe and find ours, in little ole RC, to be the best. The people are always pleasant and kind and the food is fabulous. The wine list keeps getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Indian Food in South Dakota!BillDined on 7/25/2014Four of us were in Rapid City for the evening and were delighted to find Indian food superior to what we have eaten in major cities throughout the US and Europe. We knew we were in the right place from the aromas when we walked in, and the food was even better than the aromas. One eggplant dish (don't recall the name) was spectacular, and the lamb vindaloo was the best I've eaten. High quality ingredients, perfectly prepared, well presented, and excellent attentive service make Kathmandu a real 5-star find.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in US!SusieDined on 7/24/2014Since returning from overseas, this is absolutely the best Indian food I have found anywhere.
- great foodSDRRTDined on 7/24/2014We had the chicken tikki masala and the chicken chilli with garlic naan. It was all excellent. I recommend the iced tea, which is nicely spiced and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice For Napal/Indian FoodRutmanVIPDined on 7/12/2014I have never had a disappointing dish here. We had the Tandori Chicken and Rack of Lamb, along with a samosa and some Naan bread. It was all delicious. The only downside was that our server' slack of command of English made any dialogue about the menu that was out of the ordinary a bit difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Absolutely delicious food. Never tried Nepalese food before and I look forward now to having it again... Very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great...ChrisRapidCityDined on 7/5/2014Fantastic Indian/Nepalese food. Be sure to get naan with your meal. Their moderate spice level is fairly spicy. Rice pudding for dessert is a great way to cool the palate.
- Great evening with visiting familybrink888Dined on 7/1/2014Staff was great with group of six to include 3 children (10 yrs, 6yrs, and 6 yrs). Staff were welcoming and took good care of us considering with this mix most meals turn chaotic. Meal was quick and delicious, especially for the kids. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Grill a poor choicexyz890Dined on 6/29/2014While the seasoning was good, most of the meat in the mixed grill was blackened. The shrimp were inedible. And most of the platter was chicken, no fish. So I would guess the person grilling needs training.Special Features:
- Always enjoyablejanetrcDined on 6/22/2014Food here is always good. I tried the goat curry for something different. The goat was good, tender and not gamey. The mixed grill platter got rave reviews. The portions aren't huge but they are plenty for a meal. Wine prices very reasonable. Always a good meal here. Nice little outside seating area for warmer evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowzombieluvsbrainsDined on 6/21/2014Had reservations at 7 and they were nice enough to let us in early even though they were packed, it was greatly appreciated. The service was great and the food was spot on fantastic. Very busy but would definitely be worth a wait. If you've never tried Indian, this is a great place to start.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014amazing restaurant to find in Rapid City, South DakotaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2014Fast service, friendly staff, food came out amazingly fast, great place. Food was incredible! We we're lucky to find this place traveling thru rapid city on out way to Yellowstone. Compareble quality to restaurants back home in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlowergirlDined on 6/8/2014Great food as always! Wonderful service! I have recommended this place to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014The food in general was very good but we were overall very dissapointed. My husband specifically informed the waitress that he had an onion allergy. His mixed grill was served on a bed of onions. Our childrens beverages were not served until they had already received their dinners. At a reputable restaurant, these items would have at least been discounted. No apology from owner walking around. The server had my daughter reach over to the other side of the table to take her hot food bowl. I was so eager to have my children experience fine dining. We were greatly disappointed. The only good coming from this poor experience is that my husband and I might save money in the long run since the kids would prefer to stay home to eat from now on!
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014We had spent a month on business in South Dakota and had eaten our share of great steak. On our last night in town, we decided to try something different and ended up at Kathmandu. The food--both the Indian and Nepalese dishes--were fantastic. Great spice, great flavor. The naan basket (including cheese-stuffed naan) was a great addition. The staff were very sweet. We would definitely go again.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Kathmandu Bistro reviews archive.
- AwesomeLooking4yumyumDined on 4/18/2014This was our first visit to Kathmandu. We went for my Mothers Birthday and had a wonderful time. The food is the best Indian food I've ever had. The service was super friendly. I'm looking forward to having the buffet probably this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!FlowergirlDined on 4/5/2014Amazing Indian food. I tell all my friends. Very authentic Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRetengineerDined on 4/3/2014A great place for a birthday or any other occasion. Great food - unique and not like any other restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope it last!BeerguyDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. It is almost too quiet. I wouldn't mind a little background music. I have eaten there twice and would be quick to recommend the Lamb Bhuna or Butter Chicken.Special Features:
- Great little findjanetrcDined on 2/16/2014Menu had lots of choices. Very reasonably priced. Most dishes were $14. Bottles of wine are 50% off on Sundays. Enjoyable dining experience. They were not real busy, just hope enough people give it a try that the restaurant can make a go of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerTandTDined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious -- I had the Butter Chicken and my husband had the Lamb Curry (they were out of a lot of dishes, including the Pheasant Curry that my husband originally wanted). We would definitely come back to try other dishes too. The service, however, was quite slow. I don't know if that was just because it was Valentine's Day, or if that's normal, but they could definitely use more staff. Overall, though, a good experience. The food was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing but itvalentineDined on 2/14/2014The food was amazing but it was obvious that they needed more wait staff. It was a good 15 minutes after we sat down before anyone came to take our order. The food came quickly but again, we did not have anyone stop at our table again until we asked for the check. The wait staff was very good but obviously overworked the night we went there. Not sure if this is the norm because this was our first visit but we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45 minutes and never were servedDinerDined on 1/18/2014We wanted to try this restaurant. Made a reservation and arrived 10 minutes early for it because we had tickets to a play later. Smelled great when we walked in. Ordered an appetizer and my husband ordered a glass of wine. 45 minutes later we had received neither. We finally left without eating because we needed to get to the theatre. Need to hire more staff. Unfortunate because we were excited to eat there. Won't be back.
- Great Indian and NepaleseExpatriateDined on 12/6/2013Great Indian and Nepalese food, reasonably priced. Super service. There's at least ten other things on the menu we want to try. We'll definitely be back. It was night-time and 0F and people were still walking in. Obviously a local favorite too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we'll be back!metgDined on 10/25/2013Fabulous, distinctive cuisine with great ambiance & service. I love eating at places like this who serve foods I don't know how to make myself that taste great. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 3.5CliffDined on 9/1/2013The food was good but the service was a little slow. The wine list is very limited. The ambiance was okay. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to try Indian fare in do town Rapie City.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable prices. Large servings.vwvinceDined on 8/27/2013Reasonable prices. Large servings. Polite and attentive wait staff. The chicken tikka misala was perfect. If you like Indian cuisine you'll be well satisfied.
- Unique foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2013Went there the other night and had the best dinner. I had the tandoori mushrooms and a curry chicken dish. Can't wait to go back. The menu has so many dishes that I would like to try. Service was great. Our waiter explained the dishes and was attentive. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. Food, faltering service.RutmanVIPDined on 8/17/2013We are frequent visitors to Kathmndu and are fans of their great food. We are concerned about the consistency and quality of their service. They seem to have a high turn over. Almost every time we go there are new servers and they don't seem to be familiar with the menu or especially efficient. The server we had on our last visit was especially lacking. We hope they can get control of their front of house.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good IndianoldiDined on 7/27/2013We enjoyed the food, it seems quite authentic. However we ordered mild and it was very spicey hot. It was way too hot for some of us to eat so one of the entrees was taken of our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!apsheepDined on 7/13/2013The food here is .top notch. Especially love the lunch buffet where you can try a lot of different things. Very efficient and friendly staff. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nepalese wonders without the climbNigelDined on 7/13/2013Kathmandu Bistro was a definite highlight of our Dakota vacation adventures. It was so good, we happily drove over 70 miles one way to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicereeseVIPDined on 7/12/2013We ate at Kathmandu Bistro on 7/12/13. We read about it on both TripAdvisor and Yelp and expected it to be terrific. The food was fine, but the service was really poor. First, the waiter failed to bring us water (after we asked twice) or silverware. Our order on two occasions was given to another table, without apology. We saw other disgruntled customers around us. The restaurant really needs to get its act together.
- Get together with friendsGarygoodeatsDined on 7/10/2013We met 3 other couples for dinner this week at Kathmandu. Half the table were newbies to Indian/Tibetan cuisine and the staff did a very good job answering questions and recommending dishes. The food was great and they handled our group deftly. We will definitely return to sample more of the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!FredDined on 6/23/2013Want a great change from standard Midwest fare? This is the place! Dishes from India, Nepal, and Tibet in he heart of downtown Rapid City, SD. The food was excellent; the staff friendly and attentive; the ambiance casual and inviting. Definitely on our "must return" list on our next visit to SW South Dakota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a great valueRutmanVIPDined on 6/8/2013This new eatery is off to a fantastic start. We started with the samosas, the stuffed naan, and finished with the most tender, literally melt-in-your mouth rack of lamb we've had anywhere. Even though the service has a few "start up" rough edges, they are more than smoothed out by the wonderful hospitality. One reviewer complained about the small portions and high prices. I am not sure if they reviewed the right restaurant! We found the food very reasonably priced, maybe a tad underpriced. Incredible food at an incredible value. We will return, only with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.