Kanishka's Gastro Pub
1518 Bonanza St
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Kanishka's Gastro Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kanishkasgastropub.com/
- Phone: 9254647468x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Paramita Roy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available on-site and for delivery. Exclusive menu can be designed, not limited to what's available in current menu.
- Entertainment: Rock, fusion, trance music
TV featuring sports channels and rock concerts
- Special Events: Charity Events, Fundraiser Events, Media Events and Misc.
- Cross Street: Main St and Locust St.
- Public Transit: BART stop - Walnut Creek
Local Bus services within Contra Costa County
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available
Additional parking available behind the restaurant lot on Commercial Drive in metered parking spaces only
Nearest private parking lot - 1 block (Locust & Bonanza)
Public Parking Garages located within 3-4 blocks of walking distance from the restaurant
A word from Kanishka's Gastro Pub
Kanishka's Gastro Pub, a socializing and highly personal Neo-Indian Gastropub brings you the experience of global inspired "shareable small plates" with Indian influences over a delectable craft beers and wine pairing program. Our cuisine has been developed by Exec Chef/Owner Paramita Roy based on her childhood life stories, global culinary travels and has East Indian influences as well. Pristinely sourced, sustainable ingredients, and also offers gluten free, low-sodium (no-added salt) options and seasonally changing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kanishka's Gastro Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (16)good for groups (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- TedPVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was acceptable but certainly not special or outstanding. Service was very nice. Noise was unbearable. A good place for young people to make out.Special Features:
- Kanishka's is my go to in WCOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014Very interesting menu but my favorites: okra tacos, manchurian prawn-tini and lamb sliders to name a few. The wine is good and the beer is very good. The owner, Parmita, is very gracious and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great food, but good value ??NickDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed the gastronomical experience. The service was great, the food was good. At the end of 5 'small' plates, 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers, I'll be honest, I felt a little swindled with a ~$90 bill. Don't get me wrong, the food was very good, but very overpriced. 4 prawns with a little salsa was priced at $12.00. A chicken and fries dish was more fries (70%) than protein (30%). Either the prices or the serving portions need to be adjusted. For this kind of money, (and maybe a little more) I could have had a romantic dinner for 2 at Prima's 50 yards from this place.
- Great food - Way Too LoudJacklynDDined on 8/8/2014The food is good and inventive. Prices are reasonable but.... The restaurant is all hard surfaces and the noise level made the dining experience uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Innovative menuwanderwegVIPDined on 8/3/2014We tried five different dishes, each of which was unique and creative. As expected with innovation, some dishes were better than others. Our favorite was the amuse bouche -- a small bite of a chicken club sandwich, interestingly flavored -- which may appear on future menus. They also had a list of unusual beers to go with the spicy food. We will definitely go back and try different dishes again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic mix of great food and beerStedunneDined on 8/1/2014Great find. The food is an amazing mix of styles and favors. Many dishes leverage Indian spices but you will not see typical Indian restaurant fare. Have been twice now and enjoyed several of the tapas dishes with the tandoori tini being a must. Amazing selection of Belgium style beers has made our visits very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Great FlavorsercarterDined on 7/19/2014Took my wife here for a date - and though I fear small plates places, we were very happy with the food quality - and even quantity. The flavors were excellent. The beer selection was also great. In our case, we did not leave hungry. We had leftovers for breakfast!Special Features:
- innovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2014Potatoes brava (grade A) crispy potato with interesting spicy sauces. Garbanzo sliders with lettuce instead of bun option (A) it's a good thing we like spicy. As a non-gluten/starch option, I think it would be better to serve the garbanzos in a bowl. The mix was too heavy to eat as a lettuce wrap. Stuffed poblano (A) Prawn-tini (A) sauce was spicy, sweet, tangy, and sticky. Masala fries (B-) would be better if they were less greasy and cut thicker. Music was bad, but thankfully not loud. Suggestions: Note the heat level of dishes on the menu. Server should have tried all of the dishes and able to provide tips/advice. Find more interesting music. Replace silverware if you take it away. Leave a cocktail menu on the table.
- Get the lamb sliders and beerJajajediDined on 6/29/2014Indian food with micro-brewed beer. Why is this not more popular? Kanishka's has excellent beers. The food Was hit and miss. We started with a beet salad. Not bad and not great. Next came the lamb "sliders" wrapped in naan. Amazing! Afterward was fried okra in tortilla-style cups. Very greasy and the the okra flavor didn't come out. Even swigging beer didn't cut the grease. Last small plate was masala fries: kennebec potato fries with three different sauces. The sauces were the star of that dish. The fries had far too much salt and cumin. Over all the food was too salty-- even when cut with beer! The highlight for me was the lamb slider. I wouldn't have ordered the slider if it wasn't suggested by our server. Good save!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soooooo goooood!wcjoniDined on 6/27/2014It was superyummydelicious! these small plates are actually kinda on the big side. our waitress told to order 1-2 each, we ordered 3 because we could not pick - everything looked so good. we were soooo stuffed! good beer selection. if you like indian food, you are in for a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Buds Travel Around the WorldDinesofineDined on 6/12/2014Love the ever-changing menu of tapas at Kanishka's. Have been there many times and every new dish I try is amazing. The staff is always ready to expertly suggest pairings of tapas with wine or beer. The new wine and beer flights on Thursday evening are a fun way to pair your beverage with some great food selections. Keep up the great work Paramita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for parties and dinner!SujitPalDined on 6/8/2014We have been to Kanishka's for dinner as well as a private birthday party earlier, and both times we were wowed by the food, ambience and service. The cuisine is Spanish influenced neo-Indian and the ambience very Parisian (artwork on walls are by a neighborhood artist and for sale). The owner/chef is friendly and very passionate and knowledgeable about her craft. There is a full bar with a nice collection of beers and wines that goes well with the food. For our party they also did two mocktails - pineapple blossoms and minty jal zeera. All the food was great, but we would specially recommend the Lamb sliders, the Papas Bravas, Okra Taco cups, the Tandoori Mahi-Mahi, the Manchurian prawns, the Garbanzo beans slider and Paneer Sloppy Joes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hate Indian food - UNTIL NOWOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/30/2014First time at this restaurant but definitely won't be the last. Wine & Beer selections were terrific. We both had the beet salad which was made with very fresh lettuces, thinly sliced beets and not swimming in dressing. My prawn-tini was excellent and my wife enjoyed the Garbanzo Masala Sliders. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and helped guide us through the menu. The Executive Chef / Owner- Paramita Roy took time to visit the tables and chat with the folks - not just a cursory "is everything ok?" Busy place so don't leave booking till the last minute.Special Features:
- PromisingJulieOVIPDined on 5/30/2014This place is promising: good ideas, nice ambiance. The menu is overly complicated and mislabeled: strange organization that could be simply listed as vegetarian/meat, etc.; small/shared plates are labeled "Dinner" and entrees are labeled "Small Plates". What needs evolving are rounded plates...currently all hot, spicy & salty and no cool, sour, or sweet to offset. (where was the yogurt?). Dinners could eat/order much more if it the flavors were more well rounded. We will try this place again in a few months to see how they've progressed.
- Gastro Pub ExperienceJesseVIPDined on 5/23/2014We went to this restaurant twice in one weekend. We went out one day after reading a Yelp e-mail which mentions Kanishkha's Gastro Pub. The food and service on the first day was really good. The second day we went the service was slow slow slow even though the place was seemingly packed both days. The server spent a ton of time talking and took quite a bit of time to get the food. Furthermore, the portions are pretty small for the amount that you are paying. I honestly wouldn't mind paying more for slightly larger portions. The upside is that you get to try more stuff! Good spot to check out.Special Features:
- Needs help to get me backOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2014Friendly staff food needs work most dishes underwhelming except for Lamb sliders inconsistent presentation, sloppy plates over dressed salads pacing of dinner very fast and food not as hot as it should be
- Tasty but NondescriptforeverfoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014The goat dishes were supposed to be available Fridays and Saturdays and were reviewed well, so we were disappointed when told on a Friday that the delivery did not arrive. The dishes were supposed to be in the style of tapas but although tasty in different ways, they did not quite work. The chicken korma was spiced differently and the pork dish, although well presented on lettuce leaves was nondescript.Special Features:
- Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I wanted to try something different for a change. My son highly recommended this establishment. And I too highly recommend this new place in WC. Might be one of the best meals I have had in walnut creek, along with the outstanding service. Every dish was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; talk loudlyfoodieguyVIPDined on 5/17/2014really enjoyed our evening there. Great service complemented creative food that borrowed heavily from Indian cuisine but was not trapped by it. Though we brought our own wine, we thought the wine & beer selection looked solid. Share things….you'll enjoy trying the different takes on Indian flavors. If I could change only one thing, I would reduce the noise level which was challenging. Don't let that stop you though.
- Spicy New Find!SteffiDined on 5/13/2014Personally not a beer person, but we did try a small flight of some of the wide-ranged offerings of beers/ales Kanishkas serves. I actually liked some of them and could taste/smell the nuances and flavors. The cuisine is a mixture/fusion of Indian, Asian, Spanish small plates and mains. Some complex and delicious dishes- but not over the top trying to be creative & different. And, Kanishka's is different for W.C., thank you! Loved our bar seats with the bartender, who couldn't be nicer and more knowledgeable. Next week they are starting wine flights. Best of luck to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealalwayshungryDined on 5/11/2014We had a great meal at Kaniska's! It was so good, and really fun! Small plates to share, lots of spicy things, tandoori salmon, masala french fries, Garbanzo Masala Sliders, Monsoon Prawn-tini, Shikampuri Lamb sliders, Tnagra Chili Chicken, cardomon rice pudding! Yummy!Special Features:
- Unique options great for sharingfunfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Went here with a group of friends and ordered a bunch of items off the menu and got to try a few bites of each. Everything was unique and delicious! Service was excellent. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but good food.mdcheapVIPDined on 5/10/2014This tiny place in Walnut Creek surprised us with its take on tapas. Using a fusion of Indian foods, our "tapas" were delicious and had a definite kick of spice! Problem is, the noise level takes away any chance of table conversation. But, if you like spicy, innovative food, definitely try this spot.Special Features:
- First VisitjohnnyboyDined on 5/10/2014Glad we tried. We love Indian food, but typically curries, dahl, lentil soup, etc. This one was different. Small tapas size portions (@ around $8-$10 per plate), but no curry, but the food was very tasty, and we ordered 4 smaller plates between us, and it was quite sufficient. They could use a little more variety in their wine by the glass selection, and they had few offerings from the bar for my wife, who does not drink alcohol (eg no non alcoholic beers, orange juice and soda, etc). But overall, it was worth a try, and we'll probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friday Night SpotmissmathesDined on 5/9/2014My boyfriend and I ate here on 5/9 for dinner. The food was very good with the right amount of spice levels. We had the lamb sliders, shrimp po'boy, bbq'd stuffed poblano, and veggie frito misto. Our favorites were the lamb sliders and shrimp po'boy, with the poblano as the least impressive. Four plates to share was the right amount of food for me, next time we might order one more meat/seafood based dish to feel a little more full. The ambience and noise levels were not too loud for the Friday night. Room for improvement in their beer menu (more IPAs, please) and I was really turned off at first when we were handed a menu in a page protector that was too big. It is not appropriate for the restaurant given the price point.Special Features:
- The following 23 reviews are from the Kanishka's Gastro Pub reviews archive.
- Wide variety of choicesFoodieforfunDined on 4/27/2014This place is great if you are in a group since it is like a tapas restaurant with Indian food. Portions are large and 2 per person is actually enough. I liked the fusion concept and thought the food was excellent.Special Features:
- ohhh so close.Mrfoodie2uDined on 4/27/2014Food was interesting and tasty. Service on this night for us was not perfect. We got lost in the shuffle, they forgot one of our dishes and allowed their fluster to resonate on us. The staff was very friendly, hard working but not excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for date nightpharmaZDined on 4/25/2014Loved this place from the food to the ambience. We dined here on a friday night during restaurant week. We had to wait over thirty mins for our table despite making a reservation on open table, but the bar tender gave us drinks on the house which was so nice. The owner even came to us to apologize. These small gestures make the biggest difference. The food was so tasty and delicious. Id definitely come back here again. The drinks were also delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISY!!!JackDined on 4/25/2014GREAT food and drink! VERY NOISY!!!!!!! The food really is incredible but it seems that if you get there after about 5:30, the noise is just over the top...I couldn't comfortably talk with the people across the table from me...really.Special Features:
- Great beer & small platesChristinaDined on 4/24/2014This place has great selection of small plates which allows you to try many different things. Some of the food wasn't to our liking but I could see someone liking it if those flavors appealed to them. Great rotating beer selection. This is our go to place for craft beer, other than buying it at Bevmo and drinking at home.Special Features:
- Fun placeTrafalgar1805Dined on 4/24/2014Very good food, great beer, pleasant service. Can be a little noisy, and their menu is unnecessarily convoluted. Don't think Indian, think world cuisine mash up--in a good way. Lamb sliders, Grabanzo sliders, and Street rolls are standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walnut creek restaurant weekVballer7Dined on 4/23/2014My boyfriend and I went during wc restaurant week. The restaurant was packed. Unfortunately, the kitchen was really backed up and it took about an hour and a half for us to get the first small plate. The waitress was extremely apologetic and comped us 2 glasses of wine. Although we were there for three hours, the food was tasty. It felt like this was a one off case of poor service (in regard to waiting 3 hours for a meal), so will give it another shot. Would recommend with the caveat that it may be a long meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit too inventive for our tasteFrequentDinerDined on 4/22/2014The menu offers a wide variety of creative plates and the wine/beer pairings and options are a very nice touch. We ordered a variety of small plates which came out in a random order, which although I understand, didn't improve the experience. The first plates out were patatas bravas which were freshly crisp and the garlic aioli drizzle was wonderful. I then received asparagus wrapped in prosciutto on a bed of shaved hard cheese. The asparagus was undercooked (I like my asparagus crisp, but this was still underdone) and the cheese, although flavorful, just didn't fit with the rest of the plate. The other plates we received all had a similar, somewhat odd mixture. Definitely a creative restaurant. But not our style, certainly for the priceSpecial Features:
- Great Service, Food and WineDsmartpigDined on 4/16/2014Went to Kanishka's for the first time. The service was spectacular. The server was attentive but we did not feel rushed. She was helpful with menu suggestions and making sure the food was exactly what we wanted. The wine and beer list are fantastic with plenty of variety. I highly recommend Kanishka's!Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian Style FoodJackDined on 4/15/2014I wouldn't consider myself an Indian Food nut but the Gastropub is getting me that way. The Chicken Korma Poutin (OMG!!)!!!! Kennebac Masala Fries!! Monsoon prawn-tini! Garbanzo Masala Sliders! LAMB SLIDERS!!!! I am HOOKED! Pair all that with a Belgian Ale Sampler......Woo Hoo!Special Features:
- Unique flavors at great price pointJakeDined on 4/12/2014Kanishka's serves Indian spiced food but not traditional Indian fare. Many of the names for dishes have a familiar ring (Korma, Masala etc) but more as descriptive flavors for an eclectic, extensive menu of interesting small plates. Confirmed carnivores, We loved several of the vegetarian dishes as well and there is enough selection for everyone, even a children's menu! Focus is interesting selection of beers but wine list was serviceable & well matched to the food. The dining room is fairly small and not noisy for us at 1/2 capacity. If it were crowded) it might be a bit noisy. If so, it is probably just the excitement of people trying dishes with flavors they recognize but completely unique and new tastes at a remarkably low cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TreasureJackDined on 4/8/2014This place was fantastic! My only fear is that, because of the eclectic nature of the food, it won't make it in Walnut Creek. Great food..especially for vegetarians, but we meat eaters have plenty of good stuff too. Lamb Sliders!!!! The chicken courses! A great selection of Ales.... Wine list is a little....weak...at least for my woman's taste. Great Service, they care... Great place and will repeat often.Special Features:
- LOUD!!!JerryDined on 4/5/2014it would have been fine but the noise level is off the chart. We enjoyed the flat bread, shrimp sliders and lamb chops though. Mostly a young crowd. Great TV for watching sports.Special Features:
- Hipster, Tapas and EcclecticJules2VIPDined on 4/5/2014What a unique and great find! Off the beaten path of the bland and typical fare, this is an adventure of small plates from around the world with a unique twist. The atmosphere, service, presentation, staff and tapas were excellent and well worth the visit. My only advice, go with a full wallet and do not go hungry! This is an excellent place for small bites and tasters. We ordered 4 Tapas, 2 beers and a wine and the bill was 75 plus. Don't get me wrong, it is worth it but do not expect to leave full, expect to leave uniquely teased by interesting flavors. Other feedback-each plate should come contained with what is needed on the plate to balance the dish. Each dish we ordered was very spicy with little to no elements to balance the heat.Special Features:
- Neo-Indian is what??OrigCAGirlVIPDined on 3/29/2014My friends and I tried this place the other night and LOVED it! The menu is diverse and there is something for everyone - as long as you like heat. Almost everything we had was spicy so be prepared. This is what we ordered for three people and it was plenty: 1. Smoked Gouda, Parmisiano 2. Portobella Mushrooms Crostini 3. Papas Bravas Reinvented 4. Manchurian Crispy Prawn-Tini 5. Tandoori-Tini 6. Argentinian Flank Steak 7. Chocolate & Timmerman’s Kriek Strawberry Mouse They do not have a great wine list (although the glass I had was delicious) but their beer list is AWESOME (lots of Belgium beers which are my favorite)! In the end, I am excited to go back and try more of their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.