1028 Nuuanu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96813Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kanzamanhawaii.com/
- Phone: 8085543847x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday 11am - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday 11am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Middle Eastern, Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Kamal Jemmari
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Onsite and offsite catering available
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing Wednesday nights
- Special Events: Middle Eastern themes
A word from Kan Zaman
Authentic Moroccan and Lebanese cuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Kan Zaman - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Kan Zaman reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (39)neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (36)good for groups (23)special occasion (20)romantic (17)hot spot (13)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- neodocVIPDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, nice ambiance. We sat inside but there is a great outdoor patio area behind that looks like a great space as well. We shared some hummus and tabouleh to start, both were super fresh and really tasty. For dinner I had the lamb couscous which was great, super tender lamb shank, great flavor and my wife really enjoyed the chicken tajine, also super tender chicken with delicious sauce and fries. We shared the turkish chocolate coffee cheesecake which was awesome as well, rich and creamy, great texture and flavor. The waitstaff were all friendly and responsive. Overall great dinner and we will definitely be back... likely requesting to sit outside next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodie808Dined on 9/8/2014We celebrated our anniversary for lunch. The food was great. One of the dishes was a large lamb piece over a bean soup. The owner asked if my husband wanted rice with it. He did and they brought a huge bowl of rice with seasonings and didn't charge us for it. The food was delicious and the portions were very generous.Special Features:
- Good Moroccan FoodEatDrinkRepeatDined on 9/5/2014Good price, good food, and good ambiance. Came here with a party of 10 and they were able to accommodate us on First Friday. This place is also BYOB so that was awesome. I plan to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoy coming hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The food is amateurs good and the staff are very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRusskarDined on 8/29/2014Kan Zaman is very good and should not be missed.. Their Moroccan food is fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- What a delight!HungreeDined on 8/26/2014This was our second visit to Kan Zaman, and it was their first anniversary in business. We each tried dishes different from our first time here and were very pleased. The Mezza sampler included babaganoush, hummus, warak inab and taktouka, along with a basket of delicious pita bread. The hummus was the best we've ever enjoyed, anywhere. The eggplant in the babaganoush had a fabulous fire-roasted flavor. The stuffed grape leaves and cooked salad were delightful, too. We also enjoyed the house-pulled mozzarella with zaatar. I had ful for a final dish, while my wife chose beef shwarma. The flavors of each were wonderful. With high ceiling and hard surfaces, the noise level transports you to Morocco or Lebanon! It's GREAT!!Special Features:
- yumSSYAVIPDined on 8/26/2014love the chicken taouk & babaganoush. mmm, that garlic sauce is awesome! i want to try it on everything!Special Features:
- Great Little PlaceFunFamilyGroupDined on 8/16/2014We had the special "Muscle Stew" and Lamb Cuscus. Phenomenal good and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday reviewalohafoodieDined on 8/13/2014The food was very good and I just loved the little surprises like the orange blossom water at the end of the meal and the belly dancers (only on Wednesdays). There were a lot of people there, with a private party in the courtyard, who were enjoying the food and ambience. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming garden settingLovetoEatDined on 8/9/2014The tomato with pulled mozzarella was good. The chicken tauk was delicious, the lamb couscous bland and fairly tasteless and the lamb tajine quite good. The oranges with cinnamon for dessert could have been tasty if they had been chilled. The waiter we had didn't seem to be interested in being a waiter. He forgot a beverage order, forgot other requests and brought the holder for the bill without the bill.Special Features:
- Excellent Middle Eastern Dining!!HIfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Serving sizes are generous. Food is high quality and delicious. You can tell the chef takes great pride in their food. Tastes are developed and not over cooked or under cooked. Highly recommend you add this restaurant to your "regular" eat out spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisykuy612Dined on 8/4/2014My sister and I sat at a table near the front door and had to yell to be heard. After yelling at each other and waiting over ten minutes for the waitress to return, we decided to leave. It was very uncomfortable. Also, when the waitress seated us, she picked up a used napkin that had fallen on the floor and stuffed it in her back pocket, then set our table. It would have been better if she had left it on the floor, set our table, and then picked it up. Let's just hope she washed her hands after throwing the napkin away.
- Great foodLexusDined on 7/25/2014Very enjoyable, delicious Mezza sampler, Chicken Taouk. We will return again.Special Features:
- Fresh Food & Generous ServingsHIfoodieVIPDined on 7/9/2014My 1st time dining at Kan Zaman was a great experience. Food was freshly prepared and deliciously refreshing on a sunny Hawaii day. Servings were generous. Specials of the day were creative and yummy. Plan to go back to try more items on the menu. Only thing that could be improved was the pitas - seemed like they were industrial made vs. a more creative locally made pita.Special Features:
- delicious!SSYAVIPDined on 7/7/2014we had a great time! mezza sampler, chicken taouk, lamb kebab & chicken tagine were awesome! too bad they ran out of the special appetizer which sounded like a moroccan caprese with mozzarella & tomatoes. wonderful service too! we sat inside with the hopes of A/C, but it was not turned on until we were almost done with dinner.Special Features:
- Ogi1CanogiDined on 7/4/2014Good service, food was good. Sat outside and that was the best spot. They had great appetizers. My favorite was the Chicken Kabob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for LunchLunchBunchDined on 7/3/2014The price was good, the amount of food very generous! Friendly and helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Welcome Addition to DowntownTHamVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great place for a sit down lunch in Downtown. Great food & friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Must try!!gemmDined on 6/26/2014Excellent food and superb service at very affordable price, which equal outstanding value for the buck.Special Features:
- Favorite place to eat . . .HawnFoodieDined on 6/24/2014The food is very good and prepared consistently! The wait-help changes too often, thus, service suffers and is not consistent, making this the only issue I have encountered the 5 or 6 times I have returned to this establishment!Special Features:
- Authentically wonderfulJujuholtDined on 6/16/2014having traveled to the middle east many times over the years it's near impossible to get the taste and flavors from abroad replicated in your hometown, but KanZaMan has been able to keep the experience just as lovely as if you were dinning in some far off exotic tent in the desert.Special Features:
- Good foodFabulousDinerDined on 6/14/2014It is BYOB which makes the overall bill much nicer...good food. I recommend the vegetarian couscous...and I am not even a vegetarian. Tasty with a lamb dish. Great for sharing plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcoming spot!1212ewrDined on 6/12/2014We enjoyed generous portions of very good Morrocan/Lebanese food, served in a timely fashion in a lovely outdoor setting. A real downtown gem!Special Features:
- Yummy Place for Moroccan in TownJadeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Excellent food. Although sometimes a little too oily, the lamb tagine is still really yummy and the beans are nicely cooked. The taktouka is one of my favorite appetizers. The chicken taouk is very moist and flavorful. I really especially liked the beef kebabs. My friend ate some of my beef and preferred to have it cooked more, but for me who likes my beef to be rare/medium-rare it was exactly to my liking. The chicken/lamb with couscous are also really yummy. No matter what you order, the portion sizes are very generous and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the taste of the food. I prefer to eat outside because of the better air circulation. Sometimes it gets stuffy sitting inside even if they do have the A/C running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with mediocre serviceLancer808Dined on 6/4/2014Kan Zaman is a hidden gem in Chinatown Honolulu. I truly enjoy the dishes. My favorite is the Chicken Taouk. The belly dancer complemented our dining experience. However, service was lacking the evening of my dinner. My guest and I were seated near the window next to the door. We felt neglected and waited ten minutes to order. I had to get the attention of a server. Overall it is a great restaurant and Honolulu is very fortunate to have a place that offers Moroccan/Lebanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Lunch GemLittleMissDined on 5/26/2014I ordered Kofta Sandwich, similar to a burger. A very tasty burger served on pressed baguette. I picked this one because the server came over and told me about it. I tend to need a nudge so I was happy for a suggestion. He told me it came with fries. It came to me with a salad and I said "Oh, I thought it came with fries". He took it back and here is good service, he brought the sandwich back to me while they made the fries FRESH. Turned out the fires were an extra $2. No ketchup. Boyfriend ordered the Lamb Kebab sandwich. GREAT PORTION SIZE! He said it was tasty. Mint tea tasted refreshing, free refills which was good cause the restaurant is a little stuffy since no AC. The outside lanai looked inviting, we sat inside though. Will return!Special Features:
- The following 27 reviews are from the Kan Zaman reviews archive.
- enjoyed itV123VIPDined on 5/23/2014will come back. It was a little hot outside but we enjoyed the outdoors. The food is great.
- Love love love this placeJonathanDined on 5/19/2014I love this place!!! I'm send all my friends here so they can get the full experience!! Best hidden place in honoluluSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time won't be my lastSSYAVIPDined on 5/6/2014loved the food!! we were invited to sit in the patio out back & it was nice! the food came quickly & it was all good. the appetizer sampler was good, especially the baba ganoush. the catch of the day was excellent. we were told it changes so this preparation was new. mahi with whole prawns on mashed potatoes. delish! the chicken taouk was awesome as well & it was served with a yummy rice. my merguez couscous was also tasty. baklava & pancake dessert was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway a Winner!JujuholtDined on 5/5/2014Kan Zaman has got to be the best place in the entire state of Hawaii to experience middle eastern dinning. The atmosphere & food is authentic, tasty but not intimidating to the unfamiliar or those inexperienced with foods from the other side of globe. My favorite for lunch is the spicy lamb sausage & cheese sandwich... and the garlic fries are absolutely addicting! Mint Ice Tea & that date cheesecake are also a must!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenmouth01Dined on 5/2/2014Really good food and smile is just coming out from my face. Lovely deco. Kebab is my favorite and all are actually just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite!ladyjDined on 5/1/2014This is hands down my new favorite place to eat, so much so that I had dinner her two times in a week have been here with my girl friend and back with the guy friend. Love the service and the outside patio nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience, Good Food & Belly DancinghonuartDined on 4/23/2014Beautiful ambience (check out the garden or patio seating), exotic cuisine and Wednesday night belly dancing will transport you to a faraway oasis. Small details, like the fragrant orange blossom water that they offer to you to clean your hands and the gracious staff make an impression. Generous proportions...I had a mixed appetizer and the lamb couscous, and it was superb.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!HKLCDined on 4/23/2014Great little find. Just found it by accident while looking for lunch reservations for my husband's birthday, which also happened to fall on administrative professional's day. All lunch places were booked, but I got a reservation here and they honored my request to sit outside. Outside is definitely the place to be as it is a little too loud inside if it is full. The food is really good. The soup (can't remember the name) was outstanding. We just had the lamb and falafel sandwiches, but we will definitely try something more adventurous next time. We saw the plates coming out of the kitchen and they looked amazing, particularly the lamb tagine. Enjoy!Special Features:
- nightprowlerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Great food and service. definitely coming back. note - BYOB and no corkage charge.
- chuckDined on 4/19/2014Lanai dining was pleasant but a bit cramped. Last time we ate inside and the noise was unbearable. But this time the lanai was very pleasant. Our waiter very helpful and service was excellent. Food very tasty. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Invigorate your taste budsYelperDined on 4/17/2014Wonderful tasty dishes invigorate your taste buds. The dishes we had were very, very tasty and the service was impeccable. Great intimate ambiance and the attentive staff made our dining experience very enjoyable. We will return!Special Features:
- oasisWindancerDined on 4/5/2014This reataurant is a quiet oasis in middle of Chinatown. We experienced an outside courtyard which is great for larger parties up to 12 people. The food is good with generous partions and the BYOB as of now helps ease the liquor bill. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny restaurant, horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Tiny restaurant, horrible service. If you are trying to have a good night, avoid this place.
- Highly recommended!LiveAlohaDined on 3/28/2014Our first experience at Kan Zaman better than we expected. We went for lunch and ordered the Chicken Kebab Sandwich with Iced Moroccan Mint Tea. I expected the chicken sandwich to be made with two slices of bread but to my surprise, it came in a pita bread. It was a prefect blend of seasoned-juicy chicken with garlic spread on the pita bread served with salad on the side. The ambience was warm and cozy. Service was great! Our hostess never let my ice tea get low and our food was brought out in a reasonable time. We definitely will be dining there again to try other dishes! You should too!Special Features: