Joshua Wilton House
412 S Main St
Harrisonburg, VA 22801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joshua Wilton House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.joshuawilton.com/
- Phone: (540) 434-4464
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Newsome
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: JWH Catering Services provides off-premise meals and service for banquets, meetings, weddings or social events. Clients from all over the Shenandoah Valley and Central Virginia call on us for exceptional cuisine and impeccable service. Our staff can make your event or business function the talk of the town. Call and ask to speak to our catering director Whitney Sajko, for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: Joshua Wilton House regularly sponsors and hosts special events that are related to our areas of interest, including fine cuisine, extraordinary wines and beers, and the arts. Past events have included wine tastings and dinners, art exhibits and historic preservation. If you are interested in participating in future events or have an idea for an event, please feel free to give us a call.
- Private Party Contact: Whitney Sajko 5404344464x
A word from Joshua Wilton House
Located in an elegantly restored Victorian mansion in historic downtown Harrisonburg, Joshua Wilton House offers fine dining within walking distance of James Madison University. Chefs Mark Newsome and Tom French use high quality ingredients from many small local farms and producers to create a locally sourced, seasonal menu of unique dishes. Full bar service includes signature cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. During the warmer months, seating is available on the outdoor brick patio. Arrive early and enjoy a cocktail in our lounge before dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joshua Wilton House - Best Restaurants in Harrisonburg ›
Joshua Wilton House reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (60)fit for foodies (56)romantic (55)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (14)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Joshua Wilton RocksG2daNDined on 11/14/2014Situated in a beautiful historic home, the atmosphere is conducive for a long, quiet romantic evening or a get-together dinner for 3-4 couples, or even a business gathering. The food and drinks are consistently top-notch. The filet is so tender it can be cut with a butter knife. The mussels appetizer is outstanding. Arrive early to enjoy pre-dinner drinks in the bar by the fire. We were pleasantly full from dinner so we skipped dessert to head back to the bar for a night-cap. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Anniversary DinnerMSgtThomasDined on 11/13/2014My bride of 42 years and I went to the Joshua Wilton House for our Anniversary Dinner. Everything was just wonderful. I have some allergy issues that make dining out difficult. With celiac disease and a severe allergy to fish and shellfish we must be extremely cautious. The staff here was very helpful. They not only prepared food to insure its safety they also let us know of another table was ordering a lot of fish dishes. We were able to finish a delicious meal before anyone else had their fish entrees delivered. I know this isn't an issue that many people deal with but for us it was very important. The salad was just the right item to put between our pork belly appetizer and the hanger steak entree. Also finishing with a beautiful, smooth, and creamy brule was a great end to a perfect night. The wait staff was fabulous. Everything was timed just right. This was truly a meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...ArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 11/11/2014...and cocktails. Nimrod and Gloria cocktails were first-rate. So were the entrees--had a hangar steak with an outstanding sauce. Big city prices but big city good, all in a haunted house-looking setting. Great spot with lots of character...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WiltonRLA52Dined on 11/11/2014We come here every year on vacation. Food excellent. Suggested wine matched meal perfectly at a moderate price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningTennismom2Dined on 11/8/2014Delicious food, nicely presented and good service. Highly recommend Joshua Wilton House when visiting Harrisonburg, VA. Nice ambiance, noice level was very low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014We are from the New York and Philadelphia Area and have been exposed to many outstanding restaurants. Joshua Wilton House ranks with them with respect to food, service, and ambiance. However the seared sea scallops were too salty, otherwise the food was excellent. We both think that this restaurant is overpriced when compared with those in the Philadelphia Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm Enchanting DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Exceptional service, from Bill, highlighted this dining experience. The cozy room, fireplace and ambiance all added to the excellent dinner we enjoyed. This is a definite "must try" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant & deliciousEsurfVIPDined on 10/30/2014Victorian mansion, cloth tablecloths. Jackets not required but I was glad I wore one as the place has class. Very knowledgeable and attentive server "arun" described menu well & had good wine suggestions. Creative food. Had sweetbreads that were on special & wonderful. Also fresh wild Rockfish special properly done, not over prepared. Very cute & cozy bar if you arrive before the rest of your party. Definitely will go back if in the areaSpecial Features:
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is a favorite restaurant for us and we return as often as we are in the area. The food is always prepared and presented with a nice creative flair and it is never a disappointment. On this night our waiter (Aron - not sure of the spelling) was particularly gracious and helpful.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014First-class dining experience. There are always interesting and varied choices on the menu making it difficult to decide what to eat (not a bad thing)! Food presentation was beautiful, and that is important to us. The wait staff is very well trained and attentive. Normally we do not eat dessert out, but neither of us could resist the wonderful in-house chocolate creations. In our opinion Joshua Wilton is a top choice for dining in the Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the bestMauriceDined on 10/21/2014The Joshua Wilton House has consistently maintained quality food and service for several decades. Good value for a classic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- qualityovrquanVIPDined on 10/18/2014You get what you pay for and this is worth it. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- expected a little morelongtimeresidentDined on 10/17/2014Handicap access takes you through the kitchen, down a ramp with water dripping at the bottom and then a gravel lot. For those who are not aware, gravel is precarious to those on wheeled support systems. Service a bit slow and the lentils were undercooked. Can't say for sure that the dinner caused it, but had severe intestinal distress that evening
- rustyDined on 10/16/2014This is our go to place for special occasions and also just to go as the food is excellent, the best in Harrisonburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointingNorthportDanDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I had dinner here with our daughters on Saturday night of JMU family weekend. The House itself is stately and the dining rooms are spacious and atmospheric. Perhaps the kitchen was overtaxed by the full house but the food did not meet my expecations -- which were based on the cost of the dinner and by prior enthusiastic reviews. Each sourse was uneven, with some dishes excellent and others disappointing. A scallop first course was badly oversalted. Duck confit was not crisped and not well presented. a peach cobbler was overpowered by ginger and was short on fruit. Service was adequate but the level of attention seemed to dwindle as the meal progressed. A nice experience, on balance, but not a special one.Special Features:
- SLICKDined on 10/11/2014Overall, our dining experience was good but this restaurant was WAY OVER PRICED!! The dinner (main entree) portions were too small for the price. We thought it was extremely costly.
- Nice dinner - friendly staffWarrenDined on 10/11/2014After a busy JMU Parents Weekend - we were looking for somewhere nice to take our daughter while we were in town. Thanks to OpenTable we find the Joshua Wilton House. The food and service was very nice and topped off a great weekend. The crabcakes, Duck Confit, and Filet were all top notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic!AnniversaryDined on 10/10/2014We took our son to the restaurant for an amazing dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly Quaint!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My Girlfriend and I absolutely loved this place! If you happen to be traveling through the area take the time to book a reservation. You won't be disappointed. Great food! Great Service! great atmosphere!Special Features:
- So goodstrklnd003Dined on 10/4/2014Everything from the greeting we received when we entered to the end of the night when one of the owners thanked us coming, snapped a picture for us and wishing us a good evening was outstanding. I highly recommend this beautiful establishment. The food was remarkable, also expensive but well worth the price. We will be back on another trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our best JWH experiencespinningbaronDined on 10/3/2014We have dined here many times in the last decade; this was by far our worst experience. Our waiter was charming, and the service was good. But the room was excessively noisy, not what I expect at the JWH. The crispy flounder and pork belly on cheese grits starters and our shared dessert, the chocolate ganache tart were quite tasty. The Spinach salad, and the prosciutto wrapped dates on spring greens with concord grape vinaigrette were also good. Unfortunately, the entrees were a different story. The opah special was not particularly fresh, and the filet mignon was drenched in a salty sauce and the accompanying potato garnish was too salty to eat. The entrees and noise combined left us feeling disappointed, overall.Special Features:
- Elegant old Victorian restaurantRGinTallyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Wow! An elegant large, old Victorian turned into an excellent restaurant. My wife and I stopped on a trip and decided to try JH and we very glad we did. We got there early for a glass of wine in a cool little bar. Good wine list. We got there on a Thursday which turned out to be "Date Night" when for $55 a couple gets to share an appetizer, dessert, and get separate main courses. A great deal! Lots of lovely indoor rooms for dining as well as an outdoor patio and even a gazebo for romantic dining. We had prosciutto warped dates for a shared appetizer and they were delicious. Bread came with an incredibly good olive oil. We also shared a yummy apple tart dessert. For a main course I thought the flounder was a bit dry and bland.Special Features:
- SupwithSutsDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were very pleased with our evening at the Joshua Wilton House. We called that morning and given a choice on indoor or outdoor seating. We selected outdoor and were treated to a lovely dinner in the gazebo. The chef's dishes were outstanding. I chose the flounder and my husband had the filet. Everything from the cocktails to the dessert was great. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance in HarrisonburgdelightedDelawareanDined on 9/26/2014Food and service were great. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent food, upscale experiencedaddydogDined on 9/25/2014Great choice for special occasions. "Date night" special is very good value.Special Features:
- "Date Night"kmk62Dined on 9/18/2014The Wilton House date night special (Thursdays) is a great value. The food is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Good Food in a Beautiful SettingStrathcoolDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have come to the Joshua Wilton Inn for a number of years and we have always found that the quality has beern consistently good. The menu is imaginative and uses almost entirely local ingredients from farms in the Shenandoah region. The setting is beautiful, both in the inn itself and in the charming garden outdoors. It provides a most pleasant venue for both locals and visitors from out of town.Special Features:
- wonderful findpstalVIPDined on 9/6/2014We all enjoyed our visit to the Joshua Wilson House. The grounds are beautiful, the house is stunning and our meal was lovely. Everything we had from drinks to main course was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shenandoah Surpriseoperalover212VIPDined on 9/5/2014This remarkable inn was a lovely way to spend our anniversary. They gave us a quiet corner table and the service was impeccable. My husband loved his choice of mozzarella and tomato to start and a superb filet mignon. I enjoyed the breast of duck and the chocolate soufflé cake. All in all, this inn was by far the best part of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reviewsWeekendWarriorDined on 8/30/2014We split salmon croquettes and had the pork schnitzel special and the sea scallops, finishing with the tiramisu and it was 10 out of 10 at each turn. Even the garnishes were super tasty! Service was great. Every bit worth the expense, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative, delicious;elegant sitePsdlnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is my third or fourth experience as Josh Wilton, and the best ever. The dining experience was lovely and memorable. This is the highest restaurant rating that I have ever published.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had already made reservations when a friend told us about date night. Made for a perfect match with an excellent waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatappyDined on 8/27/2014Best "refined" dining in Harrisonburg. If you are a demanding diner and foodophile, you have to try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the ruff!Amanzing4469Dined on 8/23/2014I was SO overly impressed with the Joshua Wilton House. From start to finish, the staff went beyond my expectations. I had the Pork Loin - it was TO DIE FOR. One of the best meals I have ever had. Wonderful, wonderful place! I will frequent this restaurant when I am in the area. BRAVO Joshua Wilton House!Special Features:
- Perfect Expeience!FoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went to the Joshua Wilton House for a Taste of Downtown event. It was great as always! The waiter was very attentive as was the bartender while spending time in the cozy lounge before our dinner reservations. Harrisonburg has a true gem here - great good, great service, and close to home! Great experience again! Will return for future dinners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicejacknstephenDined on 8/16/2014The experience was really nice. The wine choices were nice, the food was delicious, and the service was good. It's a very nice date-night restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not excellent as usual.Set0121Dined on 8/14/20141. Fairly well behaved kids (but no kids are well behaved all the time) were distracting and somewhat disruptive. 2. Pork in EVERYTHING. Very disappointing and irritating. I had to send one dish back due to pork and couldn't eat the veggies with my dinner for the cooked in ham ... That the server didn't even know about! 3. Server was in the weeds almost all night. We've had her before and this was not her best service. 4. Mosquito city at dusk and nothing to fend then off. 5. Generally good, food beautiful and (what we could eat) tasted great but we have had better here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Any Day a CelebrationblocalVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent, varied, and farm to table. The staff was thorough and attentive. Each request made through Open Table was accommodated. Our party was able to take advantage of the Restaurant Week menu as it included selections we would have made from the regular menu. Kudos for including wine or beer in the prix fixe. The presentation of the "birthday" dessert was beautiful; the 'smore was superb.Special Features:
- One of the bestjyryDined on 8/12/2014I am a vegetarian and the choices for me are always delicious and well balanced. Bravo to the chef!Special Features:
- crobVIPDined on 8/9/2014Who knew that Harrisonburg offered fine dining? The staff was very pleasant and personable. The food was fabulous with one exception: the sauce on the homemade fettucine/duck confit special was over salted, but, the pasta was very light and tender. The wine list was varied and offered something at all price ranges. We savored our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.