2316 12th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephineon12th.com/
- Phone: 615-292-7766x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andy Little
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine
Chef Andy Little's inspired cooking and neighborhood hospitality. Reservations encouraged, but walk-ins always welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josephine - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
Josephine reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (175)neighborhood gem (171)special occasion (129)hot spot (95)romantic (82)great for brunch (71)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (45)notable wine list (41)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (20)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (6)Show More
- Disappointing at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014We went on a Tuesday evening. The first thing we noticed was the waitstaff was in bluejeans and tennis shoes and one young lady looked like she had just gotten out of bed. For a restaurant that charges prices as an "up scale" restaurant, I would expect better. Secondly the food is just mediocre. We ordered the lump crab perogies. The waiter brought out a plate with three small puff pastries with what tasted like potted meat inside. Very disappointing. For the main courses, we ordered beef cheek and grouper. The beef cheek had a tremendous amount of fat in the meat and the grouper looked like a fish filet from McDonald's. To have spent almost $100 for a meal for two, this is very disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014My wife and I are not "foodies" but we were SO impressed with our meal, service and our ability to actually talk to each other. Two thumbs up! WE even called the manager over to tell her how impressed we were!Special Features:
- Reliable and deliciousElizabethVIPDined on 9/14/2014Great cocktails! I had the east sider. It was very refreshing. The basil dumplings were amazing. I was surprised at how flavorful and filling the dish was. Large enough for an entree - especially if you star to with a salad. I had the melon said with hush puppies. Sounds crazy right? All the best dishes are bizarre. Great dinner and i highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Nothing the write home about"CCGrasslandDined on 9/14/2014The appetizer, carrots and dumplings were very tasty. The main courses were all very plain tasting. We most likely would not go back.
- 12th South AmbianceLuluVIPDined on 9/13/2014The only reason to go to Josephine is to enjoy the hip fun vibe of 12th South. The menu has no variety and the food is average at best. The "special chicken" tasted like the rotisserie chicken we get at the grocery store.
- We love this place!NedBeatySquealedVIPDined on 9/12/2014Josephine has become one of our favorites. We started with a loaf of fresh potato bread along with summer melon and the best hush puppies that I've ever tasted. We then enjoyed grilled rabbit and seared scallops. Both were great with a bottle of Chapoutier Le Meal Blanc. Service was attentive, but not rushed. We particularly enjoyed eating on the enclosed patio, which was les noisy than the main room.Special Features:
- Maybe my taste buds took a holidayCrucialdogDined on 9/11/2014I like small plates. Although the quantity on the chicken livers appetizer was kind of microscopic. This next line may be MY fault and not the restaurant's: I could barely taste the basil dumplings with chorizo. I got no hint of basil and none of chorizo. Sometimes I don't taste stuff and this may have been such an evening.
- BrunchDiner105VIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was delicious! Enjoyed the Eggs Benedict w/ a brown butter hollandaise...inspired! Lovely simple go-along green salad. However, despite having dined there several times previous, we were placed away from others, over in the corner under a condensating duct. Drip, drip, drip! We shd have been moved immediately, but were not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Too Loud!!!!!!stereoDined on 9/5/2014the food was great unfortunately we couldn't even talk to each other or hear the waitress which made the dining experience uncomfortable - we sat at the table and felt isolated from each other - please note none of us have hearing problems
- OutstandingEwhtnVIPDined on 9/3/2014Dinner for z4 this week. We tried various menu items and loved them all. The cheese plate was fabulous with local cheeses. The beef cheeks and grouper were both delicious. I will be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!DavidsmomDined on 9/3/2014There were four of us and it was our first time here. Our waiter was superb, he explained everything in such great detail and was excellent service wise too. Everything we ordered from the first plate to the last plate was delicious and so well prepared. Definitely will return. If I had to "complain" about anything it was a bit too loud so at times I felt we were yelling to one another at our table but not enough to keep me from coming back.Special Features:
- Josephine a New Nashville FavoriteK187Dined on 8/31/2014I've been to Josephine for dinner and brunch, and both were outstanding. The room is cool, the service warm and competent, and the food is delicious. We also enjoyed the cocktails. It's a great addition to the 12th Ave. South neighborhood, and is great for people-watching.Special Features:
- perfectioncomercomgracaDined on 8/31/2014from the mimosa to the hollandaise, the meal was perfection. i highly recommend going for brunch. it was such an enjoyable experience, delicious food, provencal flavors, sweet waitress. i will be back.Special Features:
- Surprisingly WonderfulChrisDined on 8/30/2014So many new restaurants in town, we hadn't made it Josephine's until this past weekend. We will definitely be back Can't say enough about the service. Very good and very impressive. Good cocktails, wonderful starters, excellent mains, a hit all around. Some have talked about the noise level, but we found it energetic. This will be the place I recommend to anyone who asks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had dinner at Josephine's on Friday evening. It was a lovely evening - we had reservations at 6:15 - arrived on time and were seated immediately. Service was prompt and extremely helpful in making our decisions - this was our first time at Josephine's. The food was wonderful - served quickly but at a reasonable pace. All four courses were tasty - very enjoyable. We will return!!Special Features:
- Decentnativediner615Dined on 8/25/2014I went with two of my girl friends. They both had the beef cheeks and fortunately let me try them. They were amazing. I had the scallops which were decent. The wine list is a little sparse and pricey if you just want a glass. They have the list of unique cocktails that is pretty standard in local restaurants now. My friends enjoyed theirs. (I had wine) We had the crab appetizer which was delicious. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is perfect. There are details all around the restaurant that show a lot of thought and planning went into it. Overall it was a decent experience. I would go back to try something else. Probably those beef cheeks.Special Features:
- a wonderful find!mfnfoodieDined on 8/25/2014We've lived in Nashville for 5 years and heard about this new restaurant. For some reason, though my husband and I are huge foodies, it took us a while before we finally came here to eat. We ordered the creamy corn soup with fried oysters, roasted carrots, and summer melon to start, and the fettuccini, beef cheeks, and catfish for entrees. Everything was delicious. My favorites were the creamy corn soup, roasted carrots, and fettuccini. The beef cheeks are seriously melt in your mouth, but it was a bit heavy for me. I still finished every bite! The portions are generous. We were stuffed after our entrees and could not eat dessert, even though it was tempting! We are definitely going back...hopefully soon!Special Features:
- VivaDined on 8/24/2014Sunday brunch always a busy time so service a little slow. Did not care for cheese plate and food except for carrot soup was just so-so.Special Features:
- Too loudmabrtstDined on 8/23/2014Every surface in this place is reflective of sound, even the metal tables. Something that absorbs sound would help people to hear each other without shouting. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedfredthelabDined on 8/23/2014I have to say I was pretty disappointed by my experience at Josephine. I will say the absolute saving grace was the crab perogies. Those are crazy delicious and we ended up getting a second order. The corn soup was also great, really light and tasty. I just wish the portion was a little bigger. The tomato salad, though, was really terrible. This is prime tomato season and yet these tomatoes were mushy, the vinaigrette was meh, and the entire thing needed salt. I also got the scallop dish after it had been recommended by the server. I almost never send food back but I had to. It was so fishy, had burnt pieces of toast and veggies in it, horrible. The beef cheeks I got after were good but it was hard to get over such a bad first experience.Special Features:
- Saturday Night Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Great atmosphere and wonderful food as always. Hard to match...Special Features:
- JoyceDined on 8/23/2014Great food and service. We had made reservations in advance and our table was ready when we arrived. However we were seated next to kitchen when the place was nearly empty. It nice to see the staff enjoy working there but they were the source of noisy conversation and chatter. We asked to be moved immediately which was not a problem. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JosephineJosephine1Dined on 8/23/2014Our table of four was right in the middle of the restaurant. Our server was great - she was knowlegable, upbeat and passionate about the food preparation and the quality of the staff. The only complaint is noise control as it became loud once the restaurant was full. The whole experience was fun - a great spot for our out of town guests to dine for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, original menuDenver2NashDined on 8/22/2014The bar service was slow, but the service at the tables was awesome and food was original and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.Nashville60kDined on 8/22/2014Everything was great, a tad over priced in my opinion, but no complaints in terms of taste or service.Special Features:
- Great early or latePastaLover9Dined on 8/22/2014After visiting Josephine twice, once about 9:30pm, seated at the bar for dinner, and once at 8:00pm seated in the bustling, crowded dining room, I would recommend avoiding peak times. The restaurant was so loud, and we sat very close to our neighboring tables, whose conversations were so loud on one side, and so awkward on the other side, that we could not focus on each other. The crap appetizer is divine, and the fettucine is some of the best I've had. However, the drinks are overrated and overpriced, and my husband's duck dish had a very odd taste to it. He loves duck, but this dish was off putting. Overall, it was good and we will go back, but only during certain times. I was hoping this would become a favorite of ours, but not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointnashdashVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our meal at Josephine was very good. I had the Scallops, which were cooked perfectly and tasted great. All of our dinners were excellent. Especially the Whole chicken for 2. Sercice was great. Our waiter, Jackson, was very attentive without being annoying. Very knowledgable and great personality. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it tapas styleFoodieFamilyDined on 8/22/2014Came to Josephine for the second time to celebrate my husband's birthday. Decided to order a variety of small plates and pastas after the first delicious three. The cow tongue was perfectly cooked with a little char. We ordered a tomato salad with wood smoked onions - amazing and could have easily ordered another if we didn't have a list of other items to try. It was fun to eat tapas style and we'll do it again, but not before ordering the Josephine steak and scallops which looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014A lot of hype with the restaurant. It looks great and had a good vibe but the chef was trying to hard and it didn't really do much for me. We had several dishes and appetizers and nothing really stood out.
- UnderwhelmedGatorgirlDined on 8/21/2014We've been reading the hype for months so decided to try. Pluses are, table was ready on time, server was friendly, but likely stretched thin. Tables are crammed so close the people next to us literally acted like they were going to try our good. The pretzel rolls were ok but pretty bland, not seasoned - mustard butter saved them. The grouper was over cooked but we were getting so late did not want to send back. We also had the bad dumplings which were best part of meal. Wine selection was diverse and fairly priced. With as great of a food town as this has become, this place needs to do better to earn our repeat business.
- over-hypednotagainDined on 8/21/2014The food was ok, some dishes such as the tomato appetizer was not very good. The grouper was over-cooked. Portions were small, and the wine list was fair. Also fairly noisy. What what you get, it is over-priced
- EnergeticMVNashvilleVIPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food dishes to choose from, and the "whole chicken for two" is very tasty . The fun non-alcohol drinks, like Mexican Coke, are much appreciated by our designated drivers. The bar is vibrant and makes wondeful adult cocktails. The atmosphere is energetic and social. The side seating is a bit too close to neighboring tables for an intimate date conversation. The overall scene and food is an experience we will certainly repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!YSR22Dined on 8/19/2014Best meal we've had out in some time. Food and drinks were amazing and service was equally great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but could improveJonRosVIPDined on 8/18/2014Great food, service was good, but need to polish that up a little bit. Water glasses and my tea glass were empty a couple of times and had to ask for them to be refreshed. The noise level poses challenges for both the server and guest. Its a good problem to have when people are enjoying themselves.Special Features:
- Amazing experience!ThinkTwiceDined on 8/16/2014If this restaurant was in Chicago, it would be next to impossible to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceATdinesDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant was even more pleasing than we imagined. The grilled catfish was a winner and something very different than we had ever had before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!GeedeeDined on 8/10/2014This was our second visit for lunch/brunch. We enjoyed it both times. The menu and food is good and service was excellent on both visits. The building itself is interesting, though the open floor plan tends to be a bit noisy if you are looking for a quiet spot. One of the few places that offers brunch. They offer scrapple on the menu which you never see in Nashville. Would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience is lackingCarolBVIPDined on 8/10/2014We recently had brunch at Josephine. The food was good particularly the sticky buns and homemade fries but the ambience was lacking. The decor is very modern and attractive but somewhat cold. It is not a comforting type atmosphere but stylish. We did not like that all the 2 top tables were located around the side of the room and in the window. They were very close together and you felt like you were dining with your neighbors. The only way I would dine here again would be with a party of four so I would get a table in the middle of the dining area. We did have a very attentive waiter and service was prompt and efficient.Special Features:
- UniquePeggyDined on 8/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised by Josephine's. The food was delicious and seasoned well. Presentation was also excellent. Not only that, the serving sizes were just the right amount. We each ordered three items and shared them. Our server was attentive without being intrusive. We can't wait to go back when the menu changes with the season of vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josephine's reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The Spainsh wine we had was great as well as the cheese plate. The steak and fries were ok. The steak was small and was already cut into pieces. The duck was good but was already cut into pieces. The fact that both the steak and duck were served cut makes me think that the chef doesn't know how to cook to specifications do s/he cuts into pieces to see how well it's cooked. I recommend not doing this. Portions could have been a little bigger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.