2316 12th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephineon12th.com/
- Phone: (615) 292-7766
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andy Little
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine
Chef Andy Little's inspired cooking and neighborhood hospitality. Reservations encouraged, but walk-ins always welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josephine - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
Josephine reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (184)neighborhood gem (160)special occasion (111)hot spot (102)romantic (67)great for brunch (51)notable wine list (49)good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (37)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- I'll be back!hate2cookDined on 11/22/2014Brian was our server and he was great. He was attentive but not overbearing, and he had a great sense of humor. We loved the Brussels sprouts. I never thought I'd eat Brussels sprouts as an appetizer, but they were fantastic! So were my scallops and my friend said the beef cheeks were incredibly tender. I'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and incredible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Standard high end southern food that is so prevalent around Nashville. Food was really good, drinks were good. But our service was flat out amazing. Our waiter was clearly busy, but he always had time to answer questions and make sure we were doing alright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates: Good; Steak Josephine: NotBillyBDined on 11/20/2014Wife and I dined here on a recent Thursday night. She had some "small" plates (actually, they were fairly large plates) that were quite good and she really enjoyed them. The Brussel Sprouts were awesome. I had the Steak Josephine, which I believe is flank steak. Perhaps I am ignorant of how flank steak is supposed to be, but it was grisly and very chewy. The flavor was good, but the taste could not overcome the chewiness. I expect something better for $24 than chewy steak and fries (but they were very, very good fries). Service was good. Atmosphere pleasant. Parking is a pain in 12 South, but they do have valet parking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- aweOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014The food was excellent, though it doesn't have a lot of non meat dishes. However, our waitress kindly suggested a vegetable plate that was so delicious and very filling. I liked it more than my tuna dish which was kind of a cold dish. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was OkayFrecklesDined on 11/14/2014Everything from ambiance to food was good. In a smaller town with fewer choices Josephine would be better than good, but in Nashville, it settles into the midpoint on the rating scale. We also suggest you pay more attention to the hiring and training of waiters. Warmth and personality are so important, but pretention is a turn-off. Back to food. Every dish was good, but not as good as dozens of other restaurants in Nashville. We found no reason to make J. a favorite.Special Features:
- Great food but nickel and dimed for everythingFoodGal615Dined on 11/13/2014Don't get me wrong, I had a great dinner here but I'm really not a fan of this "pay for each little thing" trend that's happening in Nashville. When I looked up the price range on opentable, it said entrees under $30. What they don't mention is that none of the sides are included and they're each about $9. Plus, the sides are also comsidered small plates and there aren't that many of them so you're stuck choosing pretty big sides. Sharing a side is probably the best thing to do. I loved Josephine's and if you're okay with spending some money, then you'll love it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seated 1 hour AFTER reservationlongwaitDined on 11/7/2014too long of a wait (even with a reservation). food okay but a little too "hip" - esp at 11:00 at night. we were famished. and the staff never once apologized or even acknowledged the incident.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureZeusGuyVIPDined on 11/5/2014I've eaten at Josephine a half dozen times and every time has been a pleasure. It is a warm, friendly place. We started with the pretzel bread (would have liked butter or olive oil instead of mustard). I was disappointed when I discovered that the gnocchi with mushrooms was not on the menu. The agnolli was spectacular! Not quite as good to my taste buds, but the buffalo cauliflower was quite tasty. Rabbit was nicely done but a bit too sweet for me. I really enjoyed the beef cheeks and my friend enjoyed his scallops. While the desserts were tempting, having Jenni's ice cream next door is too big a draw.Special Features:
- Good, but plenty bettercweingartnerDined on 11/2/2014My girlfriend and I decided to visit Josephine's for Dinner on Sunday evening, on a whim, since we had both enjoyed brunch there some months prior. Everything we had heard about their dinner menu was phenomenal and we were happy that we were able to finally make it in. I decided to have a Porter on draft (server couldn't remember the brewery) and my girlfriend waited for a Sangiovese/Montepulciano red blend with dinner. For apps we had the pierogies and the rabbit, per recommendation. The pierogies tasted fresh, but lacked a good amount of filling, but the rabbit was delicious. Both our entrees lacked flavor: pork belly and quail. Neither seemed to have any seasoning and were bland but cooked appropriately. Less than impressed overall.Special Features:
- Worth the waitlynnewDined on 11/2/2014I've had this place on my radar for a while. It was always booked when I wanted to go. Sunday night I finally made it. Great service. Good martinis. Steak perfectly cooked. They were out of a few menu items which was a little disappointing. Overall very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDeniseeatsDined on 11/2/2014Service was top notch; menu exciting; food tasty; waiter was friendly, helpful and recommended the Bloody Mary which I loved. Would definitely go back for the food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Took my mom to brunch at Josephine and we were both very impressed. Get the brussel sprouts. No matter what. I had the benedict and my mom had candies carrot soup. We also split some pistachio dried cheery sticky buns. All was outstanding. Can't wait to try dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb MealjllcDined on 10/30/2014Sticky, sublime duck wings, splendid deep roasted flavor on the brussels sprouts, pierogi were to die for. Only - no more pretzel tools - it is a loaf, so I was disappointed at having less crust; still great flavor. Th only drawback is that Josephine is always ear-shatteringly loud when busy. With the room could be sound prooffed even a little. But, I will always return!Special Features:
- Work in progressHungryDined on 10/29/2014I was taken to Josephine's for my birthday. Friends had recommended it and suggested we order small plates. My friends were happier with the choices than I. Scrapple was tasteless yet another couple I know said that was their favorite so maybe the chef left something out that night. The duck wings were excellent and the pirougies were good, but nothing really blew me away. I might be persuaded to retrn, but I would definitely try an entree next time. The cheesecake was excellent and they comped it as it was my birthday. Service was very good. Wine list was disappointing.Special Features:
- Vibrant Neighborhood GemGarbearDined on 10/27/2014Great ambience. Food was very creative and tasty. Bar was humming early and continued to grow throughout the evening. Food selection was somewhat limited but everything on the menu looked delicious. Only criticism was that the salad items were limited. We arrived early before the entire party arrived and had good interaction with the bar staff. The valet service seemed a little confused. Main dining room service was excellent. I had the monk fish and it might have been a little over cooked but had great flavor. No one left hungry. I had guests from Kentucky, Louisiana and Middle Tennessee and they were not disappointed. While Josephine's is still a quiet gem on 12 South, it soon will be a 'destination restaurant' a great Nashville hotspot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinerLocalfoodiesDined on 10/26/2014We decided to check this place out because we heard some great things...I ordered the Scallops which were pretty good and my husband ordered the Josophine Steak to be cooked Medium. Clearly the steak that my husband received was over cooked. When we called our sever Geoff over to explain our dislike, he responded back by saying, " The steak looks Juicy from where I'm standing"... This is not the response we wanted to hear. He then went on to tell us that the restaurant had only ordered 10 steaks that evening and that they would not be able to redo the steak. Instead of offering up another dish or even bringing the manager by to our table, Geoff offered "Dessert" on the restaurant. We declined because we made plans to eat ice cream next door
- Amazing as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Love Josephine... We had the brussels sprouts, which were unbelievably yummy! Buffalo Cauliflower, & the beef cheeks were amazing too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Arrive early, request the booth seating which absorbs much of noise....good service staff. Leaving car for valet parking difficult if street is busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meals!SydneyDined on 10/24/2014I have now been to Josephine's twice and both times was delighted with the experience. Food delicious and well presented. Best food in Nashville right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They made us feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Title says it all. It was a special night for us and it's like they knew it. Out server Brian was fantastic. The food was worth the money. I had the Beef Cheeks and My Wife the scallops. The beef cheeks had to be tried. I enjoyed the new experience but prepare, they are overwhelming. The cocktails were unique and charming. My smokey bourbon experiment was well worth it.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in 12 southPerkamontyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Service was great. We had the beef tongue and buffalo cauliflower apps. Both were very good. I had the pork belly entree. Yum! Definitely recommend this restaurant for its service and flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience all aroundnash617Dined on 10/18/2014Great architectural design, great service (Gemaal at bar was awesome), menu was unique and food was outstanding. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionaldatenightDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic food, attentive service, great setting. This will be on our shortlist. Crowd was equal parts dressy (including a bride), trendy, and jeans-casual. My only warning would be for those who are sitting by the front bank of windows -- fully expect to have a view of the blocks-long line of people waiting to get into Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream next door, and for them to have a view of you (unless Josephine has some sort of privacy film on the windows -- I couldn't tell).Special Features:
- Saturday brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014How great to have brunch on Saturday! It was excellent in every way! The brussels sprouts were wonderful. Definitely will be back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchNoshinNashDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Josephine a few times for dinner and have really enjoyed my experience from the food, to the unrushed and caring service, to the plush decor. I just went for lunch last week and I thought it was wonderful! A small but mighty brunch menu with all the good staples, plus a few fun and fresh takes on classics (carrot cake french toast, anyone?) I was so pleased. I had the eggs benedict and a WONDERFUL cappuccino. They use the beans from Crema, and they certainly did them proud. The apple cider doughnuts were another favorite. Our chatty brunch group never felt rushed and our server was attentive and informed, but not pushy. I'll definitely be back! Apple cider donuts were another favorite.Special Features:
- KBParksDined on 10/15/2014Josephine's was outstanding!! I'm already looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Great food, as always!JonRosVIPDined on 10/14/2014Food was amazing, we enjoyed a meal of small plates, and they did not disappoint! The fall menu is worth a number of return visitsSpecial Features:
- BrunchBRUNCHDined on 10/12/2014Best Bloody Mary ever!!! Service was EXCELLENT!!!!! Unfortunately, the Brunch Menu did not live up to my expectation. Steak and Egg dish was just that - Steak and Eggs. I've had better at Waffle House. Would I go there again? Sure. But I would order something other than Steak and Eggs. Surely you can come up with something else other than fries to go with it.Special Features:
- YouthfulMPWSDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant was packed, and the noise level was high. Food was OK but nothing special. Our waitress was as good and attentive as she could be -- no fault there -- but with the place full, service, especially from the bar, was on the slow side. 1`I imagine that this is a good neighborhood place for young adults.
- Very niceJes0918Dined on 10/11/2014Only complaint was that the "Small Plates" are huge! We ordered two and were full after those so only nibbled at dinner and brought the rest home for lunch the next day. Had the brussell sprouts, which were fabulous, and the cheese plate which was good but not fabulous. Main course was monkfish--excellent. Dessert was also wonderful--who knew that angel food cake could raise to such heights? Service was attentive but not overbearing. Little noisy so not for a romantic tet a tete but would return in a heart beatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kittykatDined on 10/11/2014I enjoyed Josephine for brunch but think they should add a few more sandwiches to their brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to 12 SouthLisaDined on 10/10/2014We tried Josephie before a concert and it was a perfect fit. We stuck with all veggie dishes since they had so many and were wiling to accommodate some small changes. The carrots were highlighted in Nashville magazine and were good yet we liked other dishes better. Under the new menu, the Brussel Sprouts were the best followed by the Buffalo cauliflower, similar to buffalo chicken. The pretzel bread was also good. I've had seafood in prior visit which was good yet liked the veggies at both visits best. Service from Brian was outstanding and wine is well priced with bottles often the price of 3 glasses to encourage the bottle purchase. We will be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place12thscoupleDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I came to Josephine for our anniversary and loved it! The drink menu was awesome the appetizers and the food. Not to mention the wonderful staff. We didn't have to wait forever like most restaurants and the staff was very friendly. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Loved the ambiance, food was so-soREL1VIPDined on 10/5/2014I loved the restaurant when we first walked in, and my larger group was seated at a great booth. Our server was friendly and enthusiastic about his recommendations, but unfortunately the food was just OK. Some dishes at the table were better than others, but some came out lukewarm and too salty. I would like to go back and try dinner, though, because I thought the overall experience was nice!Special Features:
- Very DisappointedBerdanVIPDined on 10/4/2014I realize that the Host/Hostess job in a busy restaurant is a difficult job. Lying to your customers does not make it easier. The Hostess on our most recent visit lied about the availability of our table even when we offered to sit and eat at the bar. When confronted about it, she was irate that she had to help with setting up a table. NOTE: Service score is a reflection of the Hostess. Waitress was great.
- WabcolwabcolVIPDined on 10/2/2014My expectations were high since I heard great things about this restaurant. I gave 4 star only because we waiting for wine list when we were seated and it took a while to get water and server to show up. Otherwise excellent service after that. A little noisy for good conversation though. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder what the fuss is aboutestralitadivaDined on 9/29/2014I heard so many raves about this restaurant that some foodie friends visiting seemed like the occasion to try it. I was disappointed by the menu (limited GF), which was a surprise, and more by the waiter, who seemed bent on being overly-friendly. The scallops dish that most of us ordered was ok, but served tepid and for $25, I would really like my 3 scallops to be warm and wonderful. Brussels sprouts overdressed. So maybe we ordered the wrong thing, but with the discomfort of the waiter being so inappropriately friendly ("don't I know you?" and "the beers we still have left on tap are not good"), it was not, to us, professional enough for the prices. I don't mind paying, but I want the whole package-delicious food, ambiance, service.Special Features:
- Indescribably delicious!TammyVIPDined on 9/29/2014I can't say enough about the quality of the food at Josephine's! There were three in our party, and we ordered two pasta dishes to split as our starters. We also ordered two vegetable dishes to share and each had his/her own entrée - two went for the beef cheeks and one had the scallops. All three of us felt that each dish and each bite were over the top delicious. And we couldn't quit talking about the experience the next day. Our server was very good - not intrusive at all, yet quite attentive. We couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loudallanDined on 9/28/2014when trying to tlk across the table we had to raise our voices. struggling to be heard is unpleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must dine in Nashville 2FoodandwinesnobVIPDined on 9/28/2014Another great meal while visiting Nashville. The food was as creative as any we have had. A perfect balance of tastes, textures, and presentation. Appetizers through desert were all fabulous! We will be back when in Nashville.Special Features: