Jo's American Bistro
24 Memorial Blvd West
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jo's American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://josamericanbistro.com/
- Phone: (401) 847-5506
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday noon-3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jo's American Bistro
A fresh take on American cuisine using the finest ingredients served in an upscale setting with a casual and friendly atmosphere. Our chef uses locally sourced seafood and produce whenever possible and serves meats which are free of hormones and antibiotics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Jo's American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Jo's American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (40)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (28)special occasion (22)good for groups (20)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Restaurant weekALarMcDined on 11/15/2014The service was great. Rolls were great. I ordered pork shank which was one of the menus specials for Restaurant week. When it was served, the top was lukewarm, but tasty. But, when I cut into it, the bottom of the shank was ice cold.... ice cold.... colder than my glass of ice water. My table friends touched it and couldn't believe it. I asked that it be taken back and "nuked" and they did. the problem is that it took 15 minutes and by then everyone else had long finished their dinner and their plates had already been removed. I wasn't about to eat it then. I asked for a doggie bag and took it home. I wish that they had been much quicker to get me a heated dinner. And it would have been nice to get an apology from someone other than our waitress who didn't have anything to do with the cold meat.
- Great meal and serviceLindaLuDined on 11/8/2014We made kind of a last minute reservation during Newport restaurant week and Jo's did not disappoint! We chose the restaurant week 3 course menu and it was very good. The only issue was that one of the meals was supposed to be flounder but they had run out so substituted with cod. Not a huge deal, because the sauce was very good, but the cod was not very hot. The salads were excellent and the dessert was yummy. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. We would definitely go back and try the regular menu some time.Special Features:
- restaurant week!jonijDined on 11/8/2014Our visit to Jo's was memorable and delicious...for $35 per person, we were treated to a three-course meal of one delightful taste after another. We shared the appetizers (pumpkin soup and house salad with fried brie)...the soup had a vegetable base and was creamy and light. The house salad was savory with a nice texture. We both had the sole with peach habanero sauce...not too spicy! For dessert, it was sharing again...this time with mocha bread pudding and pumpkin flan...the bread pudding was hot and the flan cool...great tastes and temperatures to mix! Looking forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- GreatMortemerDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful dinner for two--soft music and candlelight to accompany the flavorful dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great ServicecherieeeDined on 10/19/2014We usually go for the special, a beverage, soup or salad and entrée. The portions are just the right side and the food very good. All of the wait staff are great.Special Features:
- KidsdocVIPDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding food and service. The tuna I had was divine, and the flour less chocolate torte topped off a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodLindylouDined on 10/18/2014Jo's American Bistro was a wonderful experience, food delicious, great atmosphere and spot on service. Would recommend to all my friends and family. Linda Anderson and Rick CerretoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014Everything was great. This is now our favorite restaurant in NewportSpecial Features:
- Newport's Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Jo’s American Bistro is the place to go in Newport! It is my second time in a month and I intend to go back and savor the dishes that I have not gotten the chance to try. Our main course consisted of scallops and tuna (I read previous reviews and was intrigued). My tuna came rare (as ordered) and was seared and peppered on the outside to perfection! My friend’s scallops were very tasty too. Our friendly waitress Kaylin paired skillfully our meal with a very refreshing bottle of Pascal Jolivet sauvignon blanc, which was very reasonably prices (the same bottle would cost easily 10-15 bucks more at a similar establishment in Newport).Special Features:
- A must tryFLFoodiesVIPDined on 9/29/2014A relatively new restaurant - 15 months old. Excellent service, great food and a very reasonable price. We went on a Monday night, the pre-fix was only $20 that included a glass of house wine. We were skeptical at first. But after the hot bread and the soup of the day, we knew we were at the right place :) for the locals, if you have not been here - make a reservation now.Special Features:
- WonderfulMikeDined on 9/20/2014Overall wonderful experience from start to finish. Wonderful staff and excellent entree. Highly recommend. Make reservations!Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/20/2014Dined at Jo's on Saturday evening fro the first time. The veal chop was amongst the best I've ever had. Also I asked to substitute their hand cut fries for potatoes offered on menu. At first our server didn't know if it could be done but after a quick check with the kitchen she advised that it was OK. Right answer. These fries are great. Our server was fun and very personable. We usually don't order desert but couldn't resist the bread pudding. Unbelievable!.Special Features:
- All around outstanding restaurant!ar123bbDined on 9/19/2014I live locally and was not familiar with this restaurant. I took a chance and made reservations for my anniversary. My boyfriend and I were extremely impressed. Not only was the ambiance and atmosphere lovely, our waitress was very accommodating, and the food was fantastic. We will definitely be going there again and will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I had our first visit to Jo's American Bistro this week, and it was a pleasant surprise. We went to Jo's on a recommendation of friends who had recently dined there. Our waitress arranged a "not exactly on the menu"option for my wife, a chicken and pasta dish, and I had perfectly cooked and tasty salmon served with couscous. The wine list was not extensive, but the selections were good value and adequate. Service was superb. Would highly recommend a trip to Jo's.Special Features:
- Terrific food, service and decorcherieeeDined on 9/7/2014We miss Puerini's but this restaurant is a nice addition to Newport. The food, service and décor are well above average. Prices are about what you would expect in a restaurant of this quality and there are dinner specials part of the week making it very affordable.Special Features:
- Very Good Experiencemarshside01Dined on 9/5/2014We dined at Jo's on a Friday nite. Weather was ideal. Second floor outdoor area above the street level was perfect. Food was very good, wine as well. Somewhat limited menu but also offered dinner specials. Service was knowledgeable, prompt and pleasant. Overall a very good experience and would recommend.Special Features:
- FantasticToneDoggDined on 9/3/2014Service was terrific, outside dining was quaint, food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnercherieeeDined on 9/1/2014Everything was delicious, beautiful interior with some outside seating. The quality of the food is higher than most restaurants for the price.Special Features:
- Away from the Madding CrowdReinsureregVIPDined on 8/31/2014Up the hill from the usual tourist haunts, Jo's upscale casual menu and waitstaff are a refreshing change from the overpriced marginality one finds down the hill along the piers in Newport.Special Features:
- Great place for dinnerAnneVIPDined on 8/31/2014We picked this place off OpenTable while touristing in Newport based on very little information but we were very happy about the choice. Everyone had clean plates and full bellies. 3 of us did the pix fix dinners which were delicious and great values. Service was great - though that might have had something to do with the fact that they were less than 50% full while we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!!!!!!luv2gooutDined on 8/24/2014The ambience of Jo's American Bistro is very impressive. The decor is one of the nicest we have seen. The warm colors and soft lighting instantly set the tone for a lovely dinner. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, suggesting popular appetizers and wine that complemented our meals. Dinner was outstanding, fresh and delicious! Jo's is definitely top on our list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close but no cigarRIJohnnyDined on 8/23/2014Went with my family Sat pm. Sat outside- was nice setting. No wait staff stopped over for over 10 mins. Went to the hostess....finally a waiter came. Ordered wine and dinner. After 25 mins still no dinner. Never mentioned that a big party was upstairs. Food was cool when finally arrived. Very disappointed. Could have been a great place. Off the list!
- Great, but could've been better!luv2dineVIPDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Bistro with my wife choosing a pasta entree while I went with the surf and turf special. Although very tasty, the chef overcooked the steak leaving me to struggle with a well done filet minion vice one cooked to medium rare as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to NewportAlexVIPDined on 8/19/2014We've been disappointed in our dining choices in the past few years places long standing were probably so because of guest turnover. This restaurAnt is a great addition in that it provides a wonderful menu for adults and children's options that go beyond chicken fingers and Mac and cheese. My sin had a smaller version of the excellent fish and chips that I had and loved it. They were also sensitive to allergy concerns. Well definitely recommend abs return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSabrinaDined on 8/17/2014Dining here is truly a fantastic experience. It was one of the best meals I have ever and at a restaurant, and the prices are very fair for Newport. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- LvmcDined on 8/17/2014Nice atmosphere and location when visiting Newport. The service at the bar was a bit slow and there was only 6 of us sitting there. Food is good and has a variety of prices.Special Features:
- Friendly, inviting, comfortableTylerDined on 8/17/2014First time at Jo's and definitely won't be my last. Was recommended by other industry professionals in Newport and was not disappointed. Jimmy greeted my family and I warmly at the door and set us up with a great table on the outdoor patio right on Memorial Blvd. Server was attentive but not intrusive. Special Caprese salad was a perfect dish for a warm summer night and pre-fixe menu was a nicely valued option that both my guests enjoyed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewporterDined on 8/17/2014Easy walk from the harbor for a quiet dinner away from the crowd. Second floor deck was a nice break from the air conditioned competition. Everyone's meal was great, just the right amount of food and the prix fixed was good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLocalDined on 8/16/2014Off the main strip so not overly crowded. Food was excellent. Had a steak and lobster roll. Best lobster roll ever on homemade bread. Steak was great too! The locals eat here so you know it is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Tried this restaurant on a very busy Saturday night in August. Lovely decor. Nice wine list. Nice selection of appetizers. We had the littlenecks and sausage in a butter wine broth. Delish ! Not the usual entrees.We had the scallops on a nice bed of seasonal roasted veggies with a tomato jam. Perfectly cooked. Nice to try someplace different. Great food, great service ! We will definitely make it a regular place to dine in Newport. I have already recommended it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Attentive service; food is sophisticated but still familiarI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Niceneve1073Dined on 8/15/2014We dined out doors (they only have a few outdoor tables. The food was fantastic and we had a great time over a nice long dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being overbearing-- showing up just when needed.Special Features:
- Delightful!TrixieDined on 8/9/2014An excellent experience with wonderful food and service. Biggest martinit I have ever seen!Special Features:
- Great dinnerinsidepitchDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent...wait staff very attentive...the owner "Jo" stopped by each table and greeted everyone and asks how everything was.Special Features:
- We all loved it!robing2748Dined on 8/2/2014In town for our 11th year of great Jazz. We and our friends had never been there before. Food, service, all great!! The ambience was energetic but not so loud that you couldn't have a great conversation. We'll be back next year!!Special Features:
- Jo's American BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding. Wait service was good. My only comment is that it was noisy and not recommended for quiet conversation. However, I would go back again but request a quieter area of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Back againmiloDined on 7/31/2014Wife took me here for my birthday, enjoyed it so much we came back a few weeks later for her. Food, service, ambiance are all excellent. We have mentioned this to a number of our friends and we will be back again in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice addition to NewportRIresidentDined on 7/31/2014Jo's is a nice addition to Newport's dining scene. We went during the week and it's was not too busy and best of all, a great place to eat and have a conversation away from the summer crowd. The outdoor space is nothing special but the interior is very nice indeed. I imagine we will be heading back as the days draw shorter.Special Features:
- The following 91 reviews are from the Jo's American Bistro reviews archive.
- GoodDiwDDined on 7/26/2014Everything worked out without a hitch. Good food. I'll give this five stars, but I'm not a foodie so take my review for what it is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!IndyfanDined on 7/26/2014We had high expectations given the reviews online and we very pleased. Our waitress was personable, knowledgeable and friendly. The menu was great and the pace of the meal was perfect. An easy walk from the waterfront area, it was a bit away from what we consider the main tourist area (a good thing). Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.