Jo's American Bistro
24 Memorial Blvd West
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jo's American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://josamericanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4018475506x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday noon-3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Preble
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jo's American Bistro
A fresh take on American cuisine using the finest ingredients served in an upscale setting with a casual and friendly atmosphere. Our chef uses locally sourced seafood and produce whenever possible and serves meats which are free of hormones and antibiotics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Jo's American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Jo's American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (40)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (27)romantic (26)good for groups (15)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great addition to NewportOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We've been disappointed in our dining choices in the past few years places long standing were probably so because of guest turnover. This restaurAnt is a great addition in that it provides a wonderful menu for adults and children's options that go beyond chicken fingers and Mac and cheese. My sin had a smaller version of the excellent fish and chips that I had and loved it. They were also sensitive to allergy concerns. Well definitely recommend abs return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LvmcDined on 8/17/2014Nice atmosphere and location when visiting Newport. The service at the bar was a bit slow and there was only 6 of us sitting there. Food is good and has a variety of prices.Special Features:
- Friendly, inviting, comfortableTylerDined on 8/17/2014First time at Jo's and definitely won't be my last. Was recommended by other industry professionals in Newport and was not disappointed. Jimmy greeted my family and I warmly at the door and set us up with a great table on the outdoor patio right on Memorial Blvd. Server was attentive but not intrusive. Special Caprese salad was a perfect dish for a warm summer night and pre-fixe menu was a nicely valued option that both my guests enjoyed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewporterDined on 8/17/2014Easy walk from the harbor for a quiet dinner away from the crowd. Second floor deck was a nice break from the air conditioned competition. Everyone's meal was great, just the right amount of food and the prix fixed was good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLocalDined on 8/16/2014Off the main strip so not overly crowded. Food was excellent. Had a steak and lobster roll. Best lobster roll ever on homemade bread. Steak was great too! The locals eat here so you know it is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Tried this restaurant on a very busy Saturday night in August. Lovely decor. Nice wine list. Nice selection of appetizers. We had the littlenecks and sausage in a butter wine broth. Delish ! Not the usual entrees.We had the scallops on a nice bed of seasonal roasted veggies with a tomato jam. Perfectly cooked. Nice to try someplace different. Great food, great service ! We will definitely make it a regular place to dine in Newport. I have already recommended it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Attentive service; food is sophisticated but still familiarI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We dined out doors (they only have a few outdoor tables. The food was fantastic and we had a great time over a nice long dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being overbearing-- showing up just when needed.Special Features:
- Delightful!TrixieDined on 8/9/2014An excellent experience with wonderful food and service. Biggest martinit I have ever seen!Special Features:
- Great dinnerinsidepitchDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent...wait staff very attentive...the owner "Jo" stopped by each table and greeted everyone and asks how everything was.Special Features:
- We all loved it!robing2748Dined on 8/2/2014In town for our 11th year of great Jazz. We and our friends had never been there before. Food, service, all great!! The ambience was energetic but not so loud that you couldn't have a great conversation. We'll be back next year!!Special Features:
- Jo's American BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding. Wait service was good. My only comment is that it was noisy and not recommended for quiet conversation. However, I would go back again but request a quieter area of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Back againmiloDined on 7/31/2014Wife took me here for my birthday, enjoyed it so much we came back a few weeks later for her. Food, service, ambiance are all excellent. We have mentioned this to a number of our friends and we will be back again in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice addition to NewportRIresidentDined on 7/31/2014Jo's is a nice addition to Newport's dining scene. We went during the week and it's was not too busy and best of all, a great place to eat and have a conversation away from the summer crowd. The outdoor space is nothing special but the interior is very nice indeed. I imagine we will be heading back as the days draw shorter.Special Features:
- GoodDiwDDined on 7/26/2014Everything worked out without a hitch. Good food. I'll give this five stars, but I'm not a foodie so take my review for what it is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!IndyfanDined on 7/26/2014We had high expectations given the reviews online and we very pleased. Our waitress was personable, knowledgeable and friendly. The menu was great and the pace of the meal was perfect. An easy walk from the waterfront area, it was a bit away from what we consider the main tourist area (a good thing). Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindlisaDined on 7/19/2014We decided to try this restaurant even though it was not in the main area of town. We couldn't have been more pleased. The food, service, and ambiance were outstanding. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. Will definitely return in the future.Special Features:
- First time, planning to return.miloDined on 7/16/2014This was our first time at Jo's, my wife took me for my birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Food, ambiance, service, which was outstanding and an all around very pleasant experience. My wife's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and we plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodCLNYVIPDined on 7/16/2014as usual, food and service were great. I really enjoyed the Veal T-Bone, one of the best i have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Great service & food in NewportBigMFGVIPDined on 7/14/2014We went to Jo's for dinner on a Monday night. We were warmly greeted and seated immediately. The server was very attentive and personal. The Caesar salad was great. Fresh green lettuce and and very good size. The scallops were over cooked and I made mention of that to the sever. She immediately apologized and took them back to the kitchen. I then had a visit from the food and beverage manager who asked if I wanted them redone or a different dish. I said I would like them redone. The new dish come back promptly and perfectly cooked. I then had a visit from the manager, the food and beverage manager and of course the server. I would come back here's again. Service is the best I have had in a long time and the food is very good.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014A good find away near the center but away from crazy Thames Street. Nice to sit outside. Very good food and very attentive service. Nice decor inside- the decor on the deck outside is a bit uninspired.Special Features:
- Delicious food, OUTSTANDING serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014The food and drink alone wouldve made this place good enough to rave about, but our server was really just amazing and made the experience all the more better. Loved the Pink Flamingo cocktail...Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant dinnerGBfromNYVIPDined on 7/10/2014We ate here recently on a ThirsdY. Ought and it was a very pleSNt dinner. The food was good although my wife's salmon needed a bit more time on the grill which they took care of immediately. One drawback to the service was that the wIt person disappeared for long periods. When she was present she was great but there were long intervals. My other general requeT is that restUrNts shod ask if you prefer indoor or outdoor seatingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & servicesrgolubDined on 7/9/2014Was in Newport for a couple of days with the family and saw this place was well reviewed so decided to try it out. Great decision. Food was excellent, portions were very generous and service was attentive but not overbearing. Additionally, both my daughters have food allergies and the staff and manager were very accommodating and made sure everything they were served was safe. A really great dining experience.Special Features:
- Very Nice Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Casual, quaint, clean, new and very nice restaurant. Does not have a very long menu, but something for everyone who is looking for the Americana-type selection. Beautiful new flooring, bar and interior and has only been there for one year. We had a very nice server and my tuna was delicious. My husband was not as fond of his steak, but we still enjoyed our dinner. Hummus appetizer was delicious!Special Features:
- Great first experiencehappydiner1VIPDined on 7/5/2014First time here-will definitely return. Great service and food very accomadating. Pretty place indoor/outdoor dining. 22 Bowens must of been sorry to loose these former staff members!Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2014Great food in Newport. Second trip as we are from New York. Food is great staff attentive. We were there opening day last year and happy to be able to eat there again. Took my food allergies seriously. Had the lobster salad on the most delicious home made brioche bread. Definitely will be coming back for years to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remarkable!food4funDined on 6/30/2014On our last night in Newport RI my wife and I chose this restaurant based on reviews. It was an excellent decision! From the moment we were greeted at the door, our experience was wonderful. The ambiance was was warm and intimate. Our server Tracey, was courteous, attentive and very knowledgeable of the menu. With her guidance, we ordered appetizers of steamed local clams and an antipasto. Both were delicious. The entrees we selected were scallops and the salmon which were perfectly and creatively prepared. The chef Matt, is a true culinary artist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jo'sNewportRIDined on 6/28/2014Nice, quiet restaurant with good space. Server was fantastic. Menu was very seafood-oriented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My Wife and I planned a trip to Newport RI for our one year anniversary. After doing some research on TripAdvisor i decided this would be a great place to celebrate. From the moment we walked in we could not have been more pleased, the wait staff was extremely friendly and the food was amazing! We couldn't get over how good the calamari was as an appetizer. I had the lobster roll and she had a 4 cheese pasta dish with chicken, apparently hers was gluten free but you would never be able to tell. We will definitely be making a return trip next year!Special Features:
- AwesomenannoDined on 6/27/2014Spent last weekend in Newport. Two couples, we loved this restaurant on Friday night at 8. We were on the balcony and very happy with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent conversionJosef3Dined on 6/10/2014Tis former Italian staple of the Newport dining scene is all gussied up and well worth your trip. The service is faultless, the food outstanding, the menu diverse, and the drinks top-notch. Four of us tried Jo's and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside DiningnomdecenaVIPDined on 6/7/2014Ate outside on a spectacular early summer evening. Everything was great. Hostess warmly greeted us and sat us outside. Waiter named Steve was very attentive and treated our kids, 8 and 10, like adults (although they did provide much appreciated crayons and paper menu). Wine list is full and has wide-range of great options. Clam chowder and clams with sausage appetizer were great. Fish and chips and Shrimp main courses were also excellent. This was our third visit in the last four months, and we're definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service not so muchKelseyTDined on 6/7/2014We often find that restaurant service is worse when a restaurant isn't busy. We had good food in a pleasant atmosphere but the meal was marred by things like our wglasses of wine arrivingg well after the course for which they were offered.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!socprofVIPDined on 5/30/2014The food here is spectacular. Creative, but not so over the top that taste is sacrificed. The wait staff is very attentive and helpful. The owner is hands on and will check to make sure everything is to you liking. This place is even better than its 4 and 1/2 star rating!Special Features:
- A great addition to neighborhooddrpkotDined on 5/24/2014The food is very good, with a wide selection. The ambience is simple elegance, great bar. Have been there several times and will definitely go back. it is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant, definitely a cut above most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good American Food in Newporthb78Dined on 5/24/2014Food was good, portions on the smaller side but did not leave hungry. Would go back. My husband had steak frites which was okay but a little over cooked. I had the veal chop which was excellent.
- Very nice restaurantcherieeeDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant replaced one of our favorite restaurants in Newport so we were prepared to be disappointed, but we weren't. The only disappointment was, since we like eating outside in the summer, that it will be more challenging since there are fewer outside tables. The renovation, however, is very nice. We have been there twice now and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningMarcelDined on 5/6/2014The service is great, the food is excellent and the ambience and decor are quite nice. It's worth stopping in just to see the wonderful renovation of this restaurant and the friendliness of the staff. Best of all the food is well prepared and reasonably priced. An enjoyable experience. And they will validate parking for two hours - a very nice thing for summertime in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimenomdecenaVIPDined on 5/5/2014Jo's did a great job restoring the old Puerini's restaurant and everything is top-notch about the building, including the acoustical design in the ceiling to temper noise. When we arrived, the hostess was attentive and gave the kids their own menu and crayones. The waiter was prompt and friendly. We went on a Monday and they are featuring a fixed price menu. The clam chowder is excellent, as was the braised rib appetizer. The medium-rare steak and linguine with white clams were excellent. The carrots, which were just right, deserve mention. Great time and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.