Ironside Fish & Oyster
1654 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ironside Fish & Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironsidefishandoyster.com/
- Phone: 6192693033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jason McLeod
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ironside Fish & Oyster
A new restaurant in Little Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ironside Fish & Oyster - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Ironside Fish & Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (118)vibrant bar scene (110)fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (84)good for groups (58)special occasion (55)great for lunch (37)romantic (27)late-night find (24)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great new restaurantRiverwalk1Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant resembles an old cruise steamship. Black subway tiles, veined mirrors, lots of copper. Stacked steamer trunks Great happy hour,an entire menu of cocktails, all served in those old champagne glasses with the stem and the small bowl on top. I had something made with fresh squeezed pomegranate juice, it was delicious. Oysters are $1 each during happy hour. All champagne was 25% off the night we were there. Great selection of appetizers, the people next to us got clam chowder fries - a huge bowl of fries covered with the restaurant's signature clam chowder and garnished with two steamed clams on the top. I had a whole grilled corvina. The menu is printed twice daily, depending upon the availability of their provisions.Special Features:
- Good Lunch DestinationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is close to the downtown area; it is just about a 10 min. walk away. The food was very good, although the menu was limited. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the oysters on the half-shell; he said they were some of the best he has had. I had yellowtail and my husband had white shrimp; both were excellent. However, we would have liked more variety on the sides provided with the plates. We would have had salad with the fish, but the salads appeared a little small. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- richardDined on 8/24/2014Superb service, very good food. Unique dining experience. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014I had been waiting to go to Ironside since I heard it was opening, its a trendy restaurant with an industrial feel. New meets old. The ambiance is amazing as well as the decor, which is half of the reason I was spending my Saturday night there. Of course reservations were made a week in advanced and truth be told I was excited. As I mentioned, the decor is amazing, but for me the food was not all there, we had the oysters which are supposed to be an assortment of the catch of day, didn't really if that was true or not since our server really did not mention what was what, moving along the shrimp was pretty tasty but still I felt that something was missing, all and all I felt food was good not great and a bit pricy for my taste.Special Features:
- Once OnlyDisappointedDined on 8/21/2014Had out of town guests and wanted to treat them to a nice evening out in Little Italy area. Mistake to choose Ironside as the food was OK, but by the end of evening we were exhausted from shouting at one another for any conversation to be heard. Definitely a one time visit for me.
- Great cocktails and foodchrisVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great cocktails and food. Took a good ten minutes before we saw a waiter, I think they were a little overwhelmed but overall another great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerKarenDined on 8/19/2014We waited over 10 minutes for someone to see us at the table, then when we ordered, our appetizers came out before our drinks. The waiter came over profusely apologizing saying the drink ticket had gotten lost, and that round was on the house. As he was saying this, our salad came out about 2 minutes after the appetizers were served. Obviously they are still working out the bugs, but in between the comped drinks and the chef sending out a complimentary app of seared octopus (amazing!) we were finally off to a good start for my birthday dinner. The sea urchin, raw oysters, kale Caesar salad, fish and chips and whole sculpin were all amazing.Special Features:
- Not my kind of placeRamiDined on 8/18/2014Noisy and the food is so so. I will not go back there
- You will never be disappointedMicheleDined on 8/18/2014This was my 5th visit and it's my favorite restaurant in Little Italy. Because the menu changes daily, there's always something new to try. Had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken oysters. Wonderful crispy outside, creamy inside. Melon & salami salad was nice with truly sweet melon. Octopus is always a tender treat. Loved the goat cheese ice cream. Whenever we're having dinner with friends, I suggest they come to our area, this is the place we take them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met ExpectationsAdobemanAZDined on 8/17/2014We were traveling from Arizona, looking for seafood and staying in Little Italy. Walking by the place looked like a fun place for Saturday night dining. Made reservations via Internet. Everything went smooth. We got seated fast, service was prompt and food (mussels, salad and Sea Bass) was excellent. Note: Some reviews talked about slow service, mediocre food and noise. We experienced none of that. I think the restaurant is sort of new, so it seems like the management took reviews to heart and got the kinks out and things seem to be running smooth! PS: Also, the 'noise' didn't seem to be a problem either. It's a matter of expectations: If you want quiet-romantic, candle-lit dining, this is not the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, loud restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014We ordered the special prix fixe menu, in addition to an entree to share. Every course was outstanding, and most of them were very creative. The restaurant is very loud, though, so do not expect a quiet or serene night out. Our server was very helpful, if not a bit overzealous. A long (~20 minute) gap between the 2nd and 3rd courses of our prix fixe was annoying.Special Features:
- CarismaDined on 8/15/2014This spot is a wonderful oyster bar! Try their lobster roll. It's pricey, but it's the best tasting lobster roll i've ever had. The cocktails are quite yummy as well. Ironside is a wonderful addition to the Little Italy scene.Special Features:
- Good placelfv1214Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, we enjoy the lunch some issues need to be fixed to make the ambiance perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJoeBurgerDined on 8/14/2014Our waitress seemed like she was in a hurry and it took forever to get our first drinks.Special Features:
- Uni was amazingSDDinerDined on 8/12/2014the food was superb! ordered the uni and the lobster roll. I love uni!Special Features:
- Great findVeolchickDined on 8/11/2014Loved this place. The food was amazing. We kept it simple and had oysters, mussels and salads. Everything was very fresh with quality ingredients. The servers were attentive and the food came out quickly. The decor was really fun and hip. I will definitely come back here next time I'm in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014This place is awesome! The decor, the food and the people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Noisy, Food well worth itDJandBDined on 8/10/2014Good food, Good service. we read the reviews on Ironside Fish & Oyster, most complaints were about the noise but they still gave it 4 stars. so we were prepared for the noise. It was a little noisy but not to bad. Our food and service was great and we would definitely recommend this to others. we gave it 4.5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SD2tVIPDined on 8/10/2014We met some friends for dinner at Ironside; a first for all of us. The interior of the restaurant is amazing...a must see is the piranha heads wall! The food was excellent & so was the service. I had the grilled sea bass, my husband had the grilled wahoo and our friends had the lobster tails and the lobster roll. All the food was outstanding. I ordered the melon & salami salad to start and that was the only thing that was disappointing. Too soggy for my taste. If you like octopus (which I don't) but we ordered it for the table; very good! Overall a fun evening!Special Features:
- Great ambience, good foodSDfoodies101Dined on 8/7/2014Great looking venue, with a vibrant atmosphere. I had corvina and fiancée had mussels. They were both good, but a little bland tasting. Food presentation excellent, just lacked flavor.Special Features:
- Lunch with a friendWineMakerDined on 8/7/2014Visited Ironside for the 4th time and it is improving with each visit. The wine list is nice and the service is excellent, very friendly and attentive. The noise level is higher than some places but it makes it lively. For lunch the menu was very impressive and the soup excellent. A very nice place for a energetic lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bring noise cancelling headphones!QualitySeekerDined on 8/5/2014Enchanted by the food; desperately unhappy about the noise. Here, unlike anywhere else in town, here you can get small, whole fresh, local, wild fish such as covina, prepared expertly. The dinner menu was simple but sophisticated. Being very selective, we usually have difficulty finding something of interest on the menu, but not here, where we found several things that will bring us back. That brings me to the noise. If OSHA came here, they would close the place down for its decibel level that exceeds permissible limits on construction and industrial sites. Although we liked the food enough to come back again and again, we will be bringing our noise-cancelling headsets next time. That is a serious comment and not meant as a joke.Special Features:
- I loved it but...OysterLoveDined on 8/5/2014Great Oysters!! But we were ignored several times by our food server, it took 25 minutes to get our oysters and they were raw, then it took another 20 minutes to get our second order of oysters. I would not recommend this place I'd you had time constraintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great the Second Time!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014The first time we came here was on my birthday at the end of June, and I loved it! Fabulous oysters and tasty lobster, how can you beat that? We had pretty much the same yummy food the second time - the lobster may have been a bit under-cooked though. However, the service was even better! I would have to say our waiter, Shawn, went way (way) out of his way to make my mother happy; the other waitstaff was very friendly and adept as well. I really like this place - it's a bit loud and crowded, but the service does not seem to suffer for it. Just make sure to have reservations....Special Features:
- Great DesignChelaDined on 8/3/2014The food was great, the only downside is there is no ketchup for your fries, but the restaurant made sauce is really good so that makes up for it. Everything we ate was really good, especially the Lobster roll, that was delicious. We only had a problem with one of our drinks that took forever because the waiter forgot to place the order, but they didn't charge us for that drink. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Not too badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014I was really excited to finally visit Ironside because of the wonderful ambiance and word of mouth about the new SD "hot spot". Overall, I was not disappointed but I was not overly impressed. First things first, the service was great. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive and we had no wait to be seated for our reservation. Now to the food... it was okay. Nothing special. I had the salmon and my boyfriend had the lobster roll. Again, they were both good but nothing special and especially not for the price. We also started with the "big" platter with oysters, mussels, and shrimp. The shrimp were kind of tasteless but the oysters and mussels were good. My boyfriends coffee cocktail was way too bitter.Special Features:
- Crowd PleaserAKellzDined on 8/1/2014Not many places you can take your boyfriend AND your mama and everyone is stoked. Great experience every time we go! Food is special, not stuffy. Service has really smoothed out any kinks from the first few weeks of operation...would definitely recommend to both locals looking for something a little different and to take out-of-towners who want to relax and yet also be impressed. Lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough!CoMoFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I just love this place. The staff is extremely welcoming & helpful. The food is outstanding. I have worked my way through the menu and enjoyed everything I've tried.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 7/30/2014fresh oysters and best clam chowder i ever had, but crazy noise level turned dining experience sour. It was hard to even hear people in my party, a lot of shouting was involved throughout dinner. I would opt to sit outside than inside next time.Special Features:
- Loud DinnerNotacookVIPDined on 7/29/2014The place is so loud, it is hard to have a conversation. People on top of people, tables so close. Food was OK, not great. Mussels were room temp, salmon and sea bass, nothing to go back for.Special Features:
- Great drinks food is sub parJeffGsdVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was my second try at Ironside. The decor is very cool and the drinks are great. This second time our service was good(first time was terrible). The food needs work. Oysters were not shucked well and there were shells in every one. Lobster Roll was bland and light on lobster. Heirloom tomato salad was good. Overall the place has promise but the execution on the food needs work. I would come back for drinks but not dinner.Special Features:
- Great . Cant Wait to go back.healthyeatingDined on 7/27/2014I can see Ironside become a regular spot for me. great food, good service, vibe was awesome, and I now have a new favorite summer cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Lobsters anyone?MErcyMEDined on 7/27/2014Lobsters roll, fresh really really good! Much like Boston lobster rolls and not that expensive. Oyster Mushroom, best I've had so far anywhere! fish dishes were great too! Been here 2 days in a row and will come back again on next visit!Special Features:
- Always greatSDFoodieDined on 7/25/2014Being so new to the uprising foodie scene in San Diego, they have fit the mold for what ppl are looking for. Great cocktails, wines on tap, ever-changing oyster selection and the lobster roll is a must!Special Features:
- Great place for drinks and foodFlaborinDined on 7/18/2014A modernly designed restaurant where you can have some drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of serviceLiversteegDined on 7/17/2014Food was awesome, service was not. The whole evening we felt forgotten about by our server, Dave. After we finished our entree, we waited 15 minutes with nothing on our table. Then he just drops a check that's split down the middle. We didn't ask for the check, we wanted dessert and another round of drinks. We never said we wanted the check split. We are both in our early twenties so maybe he assumed neither one of us could afford to take the other one out to dinner, which is what I was doing. Maybe he assumed we couldn't afford dessert. We both have worked in the service industry for years, we always tip very well and always pay cash. I found his service to be condescending, dismissive and sloooow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!!!johntsandiegoDined on 7/17/2014tres chic and great food! A real plus for the always vibrant little ItalySpecial Features:
- First time Oysters. They are good.SanDiegoOneHundredPercentDined on 7/15/2014I like food. I like interesting food. Coming from the suburbs and being the first member of my family that willing indulged in Sushi, Indian food, the true Mexican cuts of meat, many types of shellfish and honestly, as Suburban as we were, any kind of meat cooked rare, I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater. There is one food I had never tried......Raw Oysters. There was something about them truly intimidating, odd shape, odd shell, odd context, but I was on the spot, one year anniversary and the only thing the GF wants is to make sure we go somewhere with Oysters, like at home. We order a tray, I apply horse radish, I apply tobasco, I apply the sauce....I eat it....it taste great, like really good fish. A++ thanks Ironside.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Fresh Uni & LobsterGQ2014Dined on 7/13/2014We very much enjoyed the SF style ambience & the fresh Uni and Lobster - terrific! The excellent and super friendly service of everyone made it an absolutely awesome experience for my sweet daughter & me on our date night =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and InterestingLikegoodfoodDined on 7/12/2014Service was very good except for delay with initial drink order. Food was tasty, interesting and well presented. Dessert menu not very tempting. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.