Ironside Fish & Oyster
1654 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ironside Fish & Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironsidefishandoyster.com/
- Phone: 6192693033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jason McLeod
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ironside Fish & Oyster
A new restaurant in Little Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ironside Fish & Oyster - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Ironside Fish & Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (152)fit for foodies (134)vibrant bar scene (126)neighborhood gem (112)good for groups (70)special occasion (68)great for lunch (49)great for outdoor dining (34)late-night find (32)romantic (31)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (8)Show More
- Fabulous time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2014We were looking for a special place to celebrate a 4 day weekend in San Diego. The Ironside was 5 minutes from our hotel and in Little Italy. We had oysters, octopus and steaks that were superb. Definitely a go-to place.Special Features:
- Excellent food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I brought an out of town guest here because she wanted fresh oysters and I wanted to show off the great SD restaurant scene. The staff at Ironside went above and beyond to make this a wonderful experience. Their cocktails are delicious and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant scenekneeceeDined on 9/28/2014Cool seafood restaurant with great seafood entree choices, fresh oysters and good selection of wine. Great service Casual noisy atmosphere Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lobster Ever!FlopDined on 9/27/2014I hosted an evening for two friends and loved it. The lobster was incredible and reasonably priced. They got the tomato salsad which looked elegant and both thought it good. I had melon and salami which was delicious. The dessert menu was drab and disappointing so no dessert for my birthday celebration which was not needed--but missed. The noise level was too high--even though we made 6:00 p.m. reservations in hopes of mitigating it, since many reviews mentioned it. Service was very good from beginning to end. Parking difficult and could be the one reason I wouldn't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014Ceviche had great flavor but surprisingly little fish in it. At $12 for 4 ounces (waitress told us the weight) that is a little steep for tomato, onion and spicy peppers. Lobster roll was great. The grilled albacore salad was on romaine, with shredded carrot and 2 slices of cucumber. That's it. The waitress said it came with roasted root veggies but there were none. It was basically bagged salad with a fully cooked (somewhat dry) tuna steak on it. Loved the atmosphere though.
- Love this neighborhood addition!memarie3Dined on 9/23/2014From apps to dessert this please is spot on! Love the decor and our server, David, was the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Noisey, too noiseyjreatsandtweetsVIPDined on 9/23/20143rd visit, always great service but it's so darn noisey; precludes meaningful conversation. Food is OK.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014It has been a long time since I have had such a good dining experience. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal and the service was prompt and attentive. Only complaint would be the noise level which made it a little hard to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice in little ItalyKaravakiDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful! Went back twice we had a bunch of appetizers ... Try the Fish ceviche, crab cakes and octopus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, loveBabs4316VIPDined on 9/21/2014Came here on what they called "A Slow Night", which seemed pretty busy to us... but no worries. Great cocktails (thanks for the tastes of Chartreuse, Seth!) and then great food and service at the table. We had oysters, octopus, the whole sculpin, the duck confit and arugula salad and a lobster roll.... everything was fantastic. The evening couldn't have been better for our birthday celebration.... Many thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dicmartiniDined on 9/21/2014Food is great! Oysters delicious! Lobster Roll totally awesome!!! Drinks are good, but limited. Can you beleive they don't own a bottle of any brand of Vodka??? How can that be possilbe???????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A group dinnerAnhonestrestaurantgoerDined on 9/20/2014This place is probably fine for a late night drink and a vibrant hipster bar scene, but the food is overpriced for what they actually offer. The fish is gormet and elegant but doesn't come with any sides or fillers, so don't come hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise spoils experienceLovetodineDined on 9/20/2014Although the decor is fun and interesting, my friends and I had to shout at each other to have a conversation. I loved my lobster roll, but my friends thought their dishes were average. maybe it would be better during the week?Special Features:
- Not so HotdinerdaveVIPDined on 9/18/2014Had late lunch on a Thursday. not too crowded. service was good but the food was less than exciting. had six mixed oysters just ok not really cold and bland. we had a daily special salad with a tuna, basically a bunch of tasteless greens with overdone fish blah. also had a oyster poor boy. not even close to the real deal( willies poor boy in New Orleans is the gold standard). it appeared that the chef went to great lengths to "trick" up the offering. nothing about it resembled a poor boy - odd sauce- oysters in the batter tasted horrible. I have no idea what was in the batter. finally the fries tasted like they were soaked in vinegar. suffice to say unlikely to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF #4, "...ADD A PRIVATE NOTE TO THE RESTAURANT: If you moved a table out here and there, the restaurant seating would be tolerable and much more comfortable. Even if you moved two, two seat tables out and put one, four seat table in, at least one might have some privacy while conversing as one eats. With your prices, don't you want people to stay just a little while and/or return to your restaurant. Also what happened to some "tried and true" seafood meals? At this point the restaurant is too noisy, customers have to sit too close to others and the menu just isn't appealing. We won't return to your restaurant for a while and won't consider bringing guests because the restaurant is just too noisy!Special Features:
- Food was amazingLP48Dined on 9/15/2014The ambiance was beautiful. Great interior design work. The food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!TranptDined on 9/15/2014This was a great place to go for happy hour! The $1 Oysters and the cocktails were amazing. Our food came out really fast and our waitress was extremely knowledgeable. Will be back again for sure! The menu was a perfect size and now too overwhelming with options.Special Features:
- Fresh and funOskarEatsDined on 9/14/2014Loved this place. Fresh, interesting dishes, fantastic service, fun vibe. The uni, octopus and chicken-fried oysters were the standouts for me.Special Features:
- FoodJoeBurgerDined on 9/14/2014Some things were very good like the Lobster Roll and the grilled octopus with chorizo. But the beer braised mussels very one of the worst I've had in my life, absolutely no flavor in that plate.Special Features:
- ExperienceLoves1SanDiegoDined on 9/13/2014Overall good time. Service was great and prompt. 1 of the wines we picked(a Chardonnay) was already gone by 6:30 PM. Lobster Roll was more bread than Lobster but my reference point is East Coast version.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated BirthdayMEchelleDined on 9/13/2014I celebrated my birthday here with a party of 8 (Half were kids). Overall the ambiance was amazing, it caught all of our attention including the mermaid, pranas, octopus and luggage decor! The food was delectable. We enjoyed the oysters, bun, drinks and lobster roll to name a few.Special Features:
- Lobster roll to die for!ATijDined on 9/12/2014Great place to take someone out for a special treat! Whole experience was a great one!Special Features:
- Really great service.RonDonDined on 9/11/2014The food was amazing. They easily accommodate all the food sensitivities that everyone had, including the best dairy, gluten, and egg free dessert I've ever tasted. The drinks were really good too. I tried 3 different ones from the cocktail list and they were all interesting and good. This place delivers on how a night out should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Maybe it's like a movie...everyone saying how good it is & superbly directed & well written. Then you go and walk out with a big question mark over your head. That sums up my review. From the chairs you sit in to the service, the food & the drinks...it was just average...at best. The chairs & bench seating...while very cool/artsy, unbelievably uncomfortable. Girls beware! If you get stuck on the bench in a short dress you're going to have imprints on your legs all night. Service was the biggest disappointment. Server didn't come to our table forever, couldn't get an order in, couldn't get water, they RAN OUT of vodka?? what restaurant runs out of vodka?? (oh they don't promote vodka drinks! WHAT?!) average wine list. BUT AMAZING chowder!Special Features:
- Noisy, but food is goodECFoodieDined on 9/10/2014If you are into shell fish, oysters, lobster, etc. you will not be disappointed with the food selection. I had the lobster roll ... delicious! The bench seats are uncomfortable and the atmosphere is noisy. If you are into the bar scene, this is a good place to be seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt "hip" - and I'm pretty oldRetiredMelDined on 9/9/2014This new spot in Little Italy was a lot of fun. The decor was really interesting, nautical in a new way. Food was good. My friend loved her lobster roll. My octopus was good, whole Brema fish ok. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- delightfulmcmaggieDined on 9/7/2014Not many can claim the winning trifecta of fabulous decor, delicious food (try the octopus) and fantastic service, but Ironside sure does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday LunchlovefreshfishsaladsDined on 9/7/2014I took a 71 year old birthday girl and a 90 year old Father, to the Ironside for a Sunday Lunch. Our waitress Jackie was so nice, friendly, helpful and very patient. My two older friends have hearing problems. Jackie was very informative about the different beers that they served, and offered a sample to make the final decision. The atmosphere was great, and the restrooms were very comfort and interesting with decor. When it was time to decide on our lunch, again, Jackie was very helpful. I had the salad with fresh fish, wonderful! The Oyster Poorboy was below average, but the Lobster Roll was great. My only regret was that it was such a hot day last Sunday, and the restaurant is open air style. A cooler day would have been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOliverReeveDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time trying oysters and I must confess, I honestly don't see what the big deal is. In fact I went counter to what they specialize in and ordered a kale salad which was by far the best kale salad that I have had. I did get to try both the albacore salad and albacore sandwich which were both delicious as well although I preferred the albacore that was prepared for a sandwich. We also ordered a platter and the shrimp was definitely the winner. The service was great, seated right away and the food didn't take that long to arrive. They had a very attractive staff to go with their impressive industrial meets vintage sea dock landscape decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Overall our experience was a very good one. My husband and I came for a night out and wanted to have a nice night alone, but we were seated at a very small two top extremely close to other tables on both sides of us. There really isn't a romantic table "alone" anywhere in the restaurant. The food was delicious, service great, and drinks very unique! I would recommend this place to others, but more for a small group to go and not mind a loud atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014This is a hot spot in Little Italy. It's down the street from my new apartment so I've checked it out a couple times. The Octopus is fabulous. I couldn't believe it, but I would order it again! The noise level is super high so if you are at all hearing challenged it will be a tough dinner on a Friday or Saturday night. The service is pretty good, but could use a little work on busy nights. Overall, I would definitely go back and plan to! Food is good and I enjoyed myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In my top 5 meals everLeendarDined on 9/5/2014The entire evening and meal experience was superb! Make reservations - a good idea if you want a specific table. Friday night, outside seating, started during happy hour. 1/2 price champagne - a must. Oysters Rockefeller were a bit dry, but good. Chilled Mussels were a big flavor and perfect to have just one. Kale Caesar salad was amazing - very tender, young kale with fresh pickled anchovies and a lovely light dressing, not overdone. Small Maine Lobster which was so sweet you would think there was sugar in it! Tender and young, came with 4 different sauces to dip in. THEN, we had the whole fish, was fabulous, so many wonderful flavors that complemented all. Apple pie w/ goat cheese ice cream - great! Nicely full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jacksbkVIPDined on 9/4/2014Ironsides is an unusual place. Noisy and with an energetic bar scene, but with excellent fish and faultless service. This is a place for people who eat seafood by choice. Oyster, uni and a wide selection of fish both as appetizers and entrees. The fish is either grilled or against a plank. I had grouper a la plancha and it was terrific. The only down side is absence of parking in the area. I would also vote against background music. I enjoy Mile Davis as much as anybody, but in this case it just added to the noise level, making it difficult to converse without shouting. Regardless, I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Another great new place .....GolferGirlVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great restaurant - food was delicious and our waitress was super. I had the clam chowder - one of the best I've had in San Diego! Also tried the lobster roll - it was good, not great. My husband had the whole fish and it was extraordinary! So delicate and cooked perfectly. My only complaint is that the music is very loud and that, coupled with the massive high ceilings, makes it nearly impossible to carry on a conversation with a fellow diner. If you are interested in some great fish, try this place out! Just don't plan on talking while you are dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Italy new hot spot!TexasFoodieDined on 9/4/2014Truly amazing interior. The pyrranha fish heads wall is worth the visit just to see. Very attentive, friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff. And terrific and inventive seafood. Only complaint is the noise level, which makes it hard to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014First time here and was elated! Only reason it isn't a 5 star is the pricing is pretty steep and I wasn't ever sure who my server was. Staff was helpful but seemed to be spread a bit too thin. Will go back for sure and have already referred friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over thought or over wroughtDining4luvDined on 9/4/2014I dined here for lunch with a foodie friend. I and the lobster roll; she had the fish & chips. We both had iced tea. The lobster roll was very good, but the brown butter slightly detracted from the flavor of the lobster (which was perfectly cooked). The fries were covered in malt powder which muddied the taste. My friend's fish & chips was too heavily battered, but the fish buried inside was fresh and delicious. The tea had a strange flavor that neither of us liked. It appeared that the seafood was top quality, but was messed with in the preparation.
- Something is fishyFishyDined on 9/3/2014Pricey for what we got. I was surprised that the whole fish we ordered didn't come with any side veggie or starch...? The server didn't offer any bread, and when we requested some after the food had come, I had to request it a second time to get it. Frustrating as the server was observed delivering non essential things to other tables. I would probably not go back, although the decor was interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fromnorthcountyDined on 9/3/2014I liked food Your bar selections for cocktails not very .. appealing. seems u are trying to be different but for me I had a difficult time finding something I Wine list goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New place with potentialOmniFoodLoverDined on 9/2/2014Definitely a must try new restaurant. Decor is warm & creative, but our lamp oil was leaking onto the table. The clam chowder with bacon was divine! Lobster roll could use less bread or more lobster, and more special sauce. Fish and chips: too much breading for little, not-so-fresh fish. No ketchup for fries? Service was great with very attentive, attractive staff members. I got email reminders and an actual phone call from the hostess on the day of my visit. Great bar scene for young drinkers who enjoy loud music, interesting ambiance, and hit or miss food. I'd return if they make some food changes and turn the music slightly down so I could talk to the person across from me.Special Features: