1536 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indigogrill.com/
- Phone: 6192346802x
- Hours of Operation:
Social Hour nightly from 4-6pm and 10pm-12am. Dinner nightly from 5pm-10pm. We will not be taking web reservations after 9:00pm; Closed Christmas and New Year Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Deborah Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please call and ask for Jason or go to indigogrill.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Offer pre-set menus with limited menu. Weekend and weekday price ranges will differ.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192346802x
A word from Indigo Grill
Enjoy a warm vibe with shared courses, main dishes and a full creative bar. An inviting atmosphere where family and new friends can congregate. A warm and rustic feeling with ritual and spiritual undertones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Indigo Grill - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Indigo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (17)hot spot (15)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great rencarnationDowntownDwellerDined on 7/19/2014We love this new version of Indigo Grill. If only we could have heard each other better, we would be perfectly happy. We will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014What made this outstanding was the quality of the food-fantastic, and the ability to share small plates, so one is not tied to a main entree. It's a bit loud for a relaxing dinner (personal preference) and the wait staff rushed to clear the tables, bordering on annoying. It's a great restaurant, let people enjoy and relax. If the answer is, "leave that so we can pick at it", it should not have to be said 4 times. That is the ONLY negative. Hostess and bar staff great! But...the food-just fantastic!Special Features:
- Opt for another restaurantPabloDined on 7/19/2014First disappointment in Cohn's eateries helmed by Deborah Scott, who personally invited us to visit. Admired its contemporary gothic décor but disappointed with menu, food, service. While they bill the rather odd menu as something like Latin Fusion, it might more appropriately be called Latin Confusion--too cute and mysterious in descriptions of food items. Even our waiter made it more confusing when he tried to explain things to us. Frankly, not sure what we ordered or received. After fits and starts, we muddled through a few courses, waiting indefinitely for each serving. We are crossing Indigo Grill off our list of restaurants. Bumpy service, bizarre menu, fairly pricey for a casual restaurant in Little Italy: $70 plus tip. Diner beware.
- BETTER THAN EVER!JaimiVIPDined on 7/19/2014We always liked this place before the remodel, but we LOVE it now. The small plates and the added fish entrees make this a new favorite. I didn't get to try the rice because we ordered it with the sausage, but from what I hear, it was amazing too.Special Features:
- A taste for every palateBMan1008Dined on 7/17/2014I wanted to take my friend to dinner to celebrate his birthday. I haven't been to Indigo Grill in quite some time. Their new menu along with Chef Scott's classic menu give the diner a variety of culinary creations to choose from. For appetizers we had the Shrimp which was artfully displayed with its head and 2 dipping sauces. The Bibimbap which is one of my favorite Korean dishes was served in a 500F clay bowl which they cooked the rice table side. For our main course, I had the bucket of Fried Chicken and my guest had the skewers of beef and chicken. Both were playfully attractive, however the Bucket of Fried Chicken was amazing.It was juicy from being brined and there was no breading at all. Served over a delicious law but watch for chiliSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Very different food items. Tasty! The service was great. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Love the makeover!SoCalEnthuVIPDined on 7/13/2014We visited the newly updated Indigo Grill and the interior is nicer and the food is fantastic. We really enjoyed the new items on the menu and they still have some of the old standbys that we've enjoyed in the past. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Indigo Grill, a little disappointedHappyFoodLoveDined on 7/13/2014We were so excited to eat at the newly renovated Indigo Grill!! We have been following Chef Deborah Scott for over 10 years. We LOVED Kemo Sabe, we love Vintana and Island Prime/C Level. Amazing, amazing, and oh so Delicious (yes, with a capital "D")! We have celebrated many special occasions in front of Chef Scotts delicious food and even celebrated our rehearsal dinner 3 years ago at Indigo Grill :) With all that being said, we were disappointed with the "new" Indigo Grill. The food was exciting to look at, and came out perfectly hot, however, everything tasted bland and didn't leave us with the usual, "that was incredible .... so, when are we going back." Overall, we will continue to dine at Vintana and Island Prime/C Level.Special Features:
- unique & trendybirdy11Dined on 7/13/2014Our dining experience was very good with just a couple of minor exceptions. Very interesting menu, although almost "too" eclectic. It's a great place to try new dishes. We had three boards which were tasty, although the chicken was overly salty. Our salad was very good with a lovely dressing; wines were delicious; desert was extraordinary...rice pudding brule with berries...every bite was luscious. Overall, a very good experience. We would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new vibesmeredithsVIPDined on 7/12/2014The menu was revised, so we decided to try new appetizers. I started with the Local Bass Teridito- it was very interesting. Great bass on a salt block, coupled with avocado and corn nuts. Nice fresh fish. He had the Baby Kale & Quinoa salad and added chicken skewers, 2 were included with the add-on. He said he enjoyed the flavor. Then we had our standby of Alderwood Plank Salmon. Thankful it was still on the menu. I'm trying to observe gluten-free when I can, so he subbed the squid-ink pasta with spaghetti squash for me. He kept his order as-is and thoroughly enjoyed the pasta (I sure miss that - it has so much flavor). I really enjoyed my squash as well! Back to the salmon: it was great. It was a thicker piece than usual ++ !Special Features:
- Outstanding Make Over in Every Way!FishlovinsueDined on 7/12/2014I was so excited to try the new Indigo Grill once it reopened and I was blown away! Everything was beyond delicious! From Hawaiian Ahi Cebiche to sashimi style bass tiradito followed byCamaron double order of Anticucho Board was beyond mouth watering!! Also had to double up on La Fresca Cocktail! Can't wait to return and try all different things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefoodieDined on 7/12/2014This restaurants' "redo" is fabulous!! The food is outstanding - everything we tried we had never tasted before. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the dishes and described them all beautifully. Even the server was knowledgable and took the time to point out which items would likely taste best with the various sauces. The food was fresh and delicious - Deborah Scott never fails to amaze and satisfy.Special Features:
- Remodel is nice!LarryGVIPDined on 7/12/2014I like what they did with the remodel. Glad to see our favorites (skirts and salmon are on the short, Deborah's Classico section of the menu). Delicious! Lots of new small plate choices to try with our next visit.Special Features:
- A Peruvian ThemecobracatDined on 7/11/2014There are more items on the new menu...and they are generally spectacular: the pork belly items, the various cebiches, the grapefruit and avocado salad, papardelle pasta, and the desserts, for example.The ahi tiradito is excellent, but the portion is very skimpy. The fried chicken was very good, but dry. This is a hip, happening place, so there's already a good bit of noise. But add in the music piped through the restaurant, and you have a noise level that we older folks don't appreciate. We sat on the patio at a table with booth seating and chairs. Those with booth seating said the seat back was terribly uncomfortable. We want to go back to try other menu items that looked terrific, but the noise level might keep us away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-modeling finishedTerriODined on 7/11/2014Not only did the restaurant get a new look, so did the menu. The food was fantastic and there was so much to choose from, it was hard to settle on just a couple. We shared small plates and they were great. Deborah Scott hit another one out of the park!Special Features:
- Not the sameSdreloveVIPDined on 7/8/2014As craving their ribs. Reserved a table and got a call from the manager -" just finished remodel, what kind of area would you like to sit..". It is SO INTERESTING INSIDE - I love the new remodel! The menu was overhauled too. My favorite items were missing... Ribs and Good Things Growing. We ended up trying the crostini - the cucumber/almond was great. Not a big fan of the Serrano Ham. Took it off and enjoyed the rest of the crostini. The manager offered samples of another spread - nutty - like hummus - yummy. I ordered salmon, one of their original dishes - excellent! My friend ordered Steaks on Fire after asking the waiter if it was hot. It was so SPICY - he could barely eat it. Food is great, manager was excellent! Waiter was lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RemodelQCommVIPDined on 7/5/2014I really like the remodel. I am glad some old favorites are still on the menu, as these are superb. Jury is still out on some of the new items. The fried chicken is an interesting gluten free preparation. Sorry to see the bread pudding and other deserts are gone.
- A tasty, unique food eaterywab4foodDined on 4/23/2014The restaurant was warm décor with soft lighting to create a comfortable setting to enjoy a number of uniquely prepared dishes including both appetizers and main courses. It was my daughter's birthday dinner and the restaurant did not let me down. The food was beautifully presented, the food was alive with flavor and taste, the setting was warm and very comfortable to enjoy our special evening. I would say that the service was less than I would have hoped for such a wonderful restaurant, as our server was hard to find a couple of times when we needed something during out meal and when I wanted to close out my tab. The restaurant setting is very artistic and rustic, with plenty of unique creations through out the room. It was wonderful.Special Features:
- Our favorite San Diego restaurantIcruise4funDined on 4/23/2014The food, service, and ambiance at Indigo Grill are top notch. The menu is definitely eclectic, but we have never been disappointed. The salmon bruschetta and duck are our personal favorites. The butternut squash soup and Good Things Growing are also quite delicious. The staff is always super friendly and competent. This little gem in Little Italy is well worth the 4 hour drive it takes us to get there. Can't wait until we can get back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1676 reviews are from the Indigo Grill reviews archive.
- Great brunch!luvssandiegoDined on 4/20/2014Artful presentation, tasty ,flavorful food, excellent service. As always enjoyed eating there.Special Features:
- Terrific Easter menu!KinSDDined on 4/20/2014The Easter menu included both brunch items as well as dinner item which was a big plus for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite eatsYiaYiaDined on 4/18/2014Indigo Grill is one of my favorite places to eat. Thankfully, Deborah Scott brought over the Skirts on Fire from the former Kemo Sabe, my all-time favorite meal. We come here as often as we can to enjoy the wonderful food and always have great service as well. One time when the Indigo Grill was having a special cocktails pairing menu, a friend flew in from Salt Lake City to join us for that special. I think that says how we feel about Indigo Grill. We are looking forward to seeing the renovation and new menu....hope I can still get the Skirts on Fire.Special Features:
- Awesome menujoefalcomDined on 4/17/2014This is a unique dining experience without the pretense. The fusion menu is well thought out with plenty of options for all tastes. The menu choices werer unique without being "too" out there. Portions are huge, and they do tell you that up front. Service was very good, attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- near closing on a SundayMogFamOutingDined on 4/13/2014great food, but a bit pricey. interesting menu that had "something for everyone." although we were the last ones there, they didn't rush us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be a great placeBuckVIPDined on 4/10/2014This time was different. Over-air conditioned, mediocre service, food warm but not hot, and loud crowd was being clustered in one part of the restaurant - very annoying! Won't go back here for awhile, because there are just too many great places to eat in SD and in Little Italy.
- The manager and staff AmyRumpoleDined on 4/9/2014The manager and staff Amy and bus person where great to us all. Thank you for great service. We really enjoyed our birthday party gathering. We will definitley go again. I recommend this restuarant for parties and kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2014We enjoyed Indigo Grill so much the first time that we made it our restaurant of choice for our anniversary dinner. We both had different entrees than we did the first time and they were delicious! I had the salmon on a plank with squid ink noodles. My husband had the Pork Porterhouse and they were perfection on a plate. The meal was so enjoyable. The service was great and we love the atmosphere too. You have to try the corn pudding! Neither of our meals came with the corn pudding but we loved it so much from the first time we dined here that we had to have a side order this time too. The chef so generously shared her recipe for her Indigo Grill corn pudding on the internet and we have made it at home a couple of times. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent customer 1st disappointmenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/7/2014I travel to San Diego 3-6 times per yar and always hit up this location of Executive Chef Deborah Scott's. However, this one was disappointing. Maybe it was because it was a Monday. While the ribs and talapia were excellent, the side dishes, which are one of her claims to fame, too, were not. Beans were undercooked and flavorless, and one of the places signature dishes, the cornbread, was dry. Pear salad nothing special either. Until this experience, I had never had a bad meal there, but now I will think twice about returning for that kind of money for food and wine. There were not many tables eating in the place, but our server was nowhere to be found.
- Solid all around.FrankDined on 4/4/2014Great menu. Excellent food. Large portions and good atmosphere. Waiter and staff are very informative and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencejmf320Dined on 4/4/2014Went here on a first date. We had a great time. Great food and service. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Copious servings, sparse serviceMicheleDined on 3/29/2014Our group of four reserved for a Saturday at 6 PM. The server ordered our lovely appetizer of pipian-crusted Brie with condiments while we perused the menu. My husband and I shared the grilled romaine salad and kaffir lime duck plate. Each menu item easily serves two. The salad was excellent and interesting, my favorite dish. The duck was nicely charred but without notes of the stated kaffir lime to my taste; its accompanying goat cheese risotto cake and spinach salad nice contrasts in texture and taste. I would have appreciated the server's describing the condiments. I had to ask three different servers for the draft beer I had ordered, receiving it far into the meal; and we were brought the wrong bill.Special Features:
- Business Dinnerbigj882Dined on 3/26/2014I had an important client coming in from out of town and brought them to your restaurant. The server was very attentive while allowing us enough space to have our meeting. Made for a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and deliciousSummertyme33Dined on 3/22/2014The food never disappoints and the atmosphere is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseRogerGDined on 3/21/2014I loved the crisp modern decor, the staff greeted you with a warm smile, we asked for a larger table and they were gracious. The waitress assisted us greatly with the menu. What a great surprise, the food was fantastic and unique. Since in Little Italy, I was thinking Italian food but it was anything but. A GREAT FIND!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My faith is restored in Indigo GrilsrbrowerDined on 3/15/2014We had a great meal this past weekend and the service was excellent! The last time we were there it wasn't so great but the menu seems to have improved and the food was awesome exactly what I remembered Indigo Grill to be like. Maybe they got a new chef...not sure....but it was much improved from the last mean I had there.Special Features:
- Interesting foodKimBDined on 3/14/2014My family went here for my Mom's birthday on a Friday night. We had the brie appetizer, which was delicious. For main dishes, we had the trout, the pipian rojo chicken, the filet, and Good Things Growing (a vegetarian option.) Everybody loved their food, but the indian corn pudding (part of the vegetarian dish) was a favorite of everyone. Service was also great. Attentive, but not overwhelming. My only negative comment would be that our first bottle of red wine was not the wine that we ordered. We didn't realize it at first, so asked the waiter about it. He said he would comp us a bottle, but didn't. We enjoyed both wines, so it wasn't a big deal. It's pricey, which is why I say this is good for special occasions, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food choicesBandCDined on 3/14/2014It's not your regular menu...Indigo Grill adds creativity and style to a corn tamale and pork ribs. The serviings were enough to share and to try others items on the menu. Very nice wine list.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantJeffSanDiegoDined on 3/12/2014I love the Kaffir lime duck and the Vulcan dessert is amazing! I've been coming here for years and love indigo grill!Special Features:
- special occasion dinnerCarlDined on 3/8/2014Quality of food was great. We went there on Saturday, restaurant was very visited, some tables were occupied twice per evening. Restaurant is popular. Ambient could be more upscale.Special Features:
- The good and not so goodRexamillionsDined on 3/8/2014I've dined at the indigo Grill many times when I lived downtown. My son loved the ribs, which are the dry type, and I liked the trout. I went back last weekend with a date and I wanted the trout again, but since she ordered it, I got the filet mignon. The steak was terrific, and since I love green chili, that was a bonus. But the trout was no longer the browned, delicious fish the restaurant used to serve. It was soggy and lacked the crisp flakyness I recalled. The red wines we had, a Cab and a Malbec, were very nice. Overall, the restaurant has slipped a notch in the year since I last went there.Special Features: