1536 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indigogrill.com/
- Phone: 6192346802x
- Hours of Operation:
Social Hour nightly from 4-6pm Late night Sunday - Wednesday 10pm-11pm Thursday - Saturday 10pm-12am. Dinner nightly from 5pm-10pm Weekends till 11pm. We will not be taking web reservations after 10:00pm; Closed Christmas and New Year Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Deborah Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please call and ask for Jason or go to indigogrill.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Offer pre-set menus with limited menu. Weekend and weekday price ranges will differ.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192346802x
A word from Indigo Grill
Enjoy a warm vibe with shared courses, main dishes and a full creative bar. An inviting atmosphere where family and new friends can congregate. A warm and rustic feeling with ritual and spiritual undertones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Indigo Grill - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Indigo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (29)hot spot (29)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (21)late-night find (18)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- New MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I loved Deborah's old menu but was pleasantly surprised at the new choices. Everything was interesting and the flavors blended perfectly. Will definitely go back to try other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.. Shame about the wait!FabioVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great ambience, good food and attentive service. However, our reservation was for 8.30 and we had to wait for over 40 minutes for our table which spoiled the experience especially since we never got even an apology. I will have to think twice before going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zelliDined on 8/15/2014Great spot! We came here to celebrate a birthday. We had a table for 8. The food was fantastic - all small plates for the table to share…they came out staggered, in perfect timing. The waitress always knew when we wanted to order drinks or food. Wonderful experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Changes in the menuforeveryoungDined on 8/12/2014We've been coming to Indigo Grill for over 5 years and were disappointed in the menu changes. Still a great place but more for small plate dining.Special Features:
- Change didn't workrickVIPDined on 8/8/2014They changed there empty .... Fish had no flavor .chicken dry steak good but small portion ,Service good.. Used to be my 2nd favorite to island prime . Used to be full they need change...All other restaurants in LIttle Italy full
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Everything was fine, and more than fine, *except* for the excessively abrasive canned music. Why does the good descriptive "energetic" have to include loud--almost too loud for talk--music? "Hot spot" and "vibrant bar scene" really equal big back beat and (occasionally) screechy voice? It is impossible to match let alone complement everyone's particular taste in music. Why do even very good restaurants feel they have to have any music at all, when just the activity of waiters and the buzz of conversation make for a music themselves? "Excellent" restaurants usually have no music at all and never the recorded stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done w/remodelsddinerDined on 8/4/2014Great Latin flair. Can be as adventurous as one wants to be, or not. Very flavorful dishes, good wine/craft beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to IndigoWileCDined on 8/4/2014Choose the Indigo Grill for an anniversary nite out. I started out with a "specialty" cocktail that had absolutely no flavor. My sweetie had a glass of white wine that was very good ( I switched to the same). Appetizers of beef, chicken and pork belly were presented very nicely. The pork belly was probably the worst thing that I had ever tasted, like soft jello texture....just gross! Entrees were good but after the apps it was just too much.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I thought the food was too salty. It was a bit challenging to know what to order and share, especially with a group who weren't close friends and felt funny about sharing. Service was VERY helpful discerning the menu and making suggestions. Beer list great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Branzino.BMan1008Dined on 8/1/2014Loved everything but the Branzino. It was my first time eating that dish without a fish knife so I found myself having to remove a lot of the bones from my mouth at the table. Since the lighting in the restaurant was very dim, you can't see the bones at all. The sauce served with the Branzino is not tasty either. Next time I just know to stick to the bucket of chicken. Everything else was delicious though and I'll definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food optionsNeighborDined on 8/1/2014Unique food options make this worth while to visit. The ambiance is new and interesting if a bit cold. Inexpensive for the level of food preparation. Food is high end drama. Food comes mostly in small "hors d'oeuvre" portions for sharing.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemSpiceGirlDined on 7/29/2014Great location in the heart of Little Italy. The new menu is fabulous! All of our dishes were cooked to perfection with just the right seasoning. Yummy cocktails. One of our "go to" places when we want a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrillEandRDined on 7/26/2014We used to love this restaurant, but were not impressed with the food or service since the remodel. Probably won't be going back any time soon.
- It's good but not great.WalkmanDined on 7/26/2014I've always wanted to love this restaurant but it's just ok in my opinion. I want it to have the amazing food and personality of Kemo Sabe but it doesn't. I want there to be something that I crave and I just don't. I'm a Deborah Scott fan and a dedicated Cohen Group patron.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best eclectic dinner i've ever had!ArinMacDined on 7/25/2014The amazingly wide range of interesting foods and combinations were a pleasure to my palette. We enjoyed grapefruit and avacado salad, sea bass and lime cebiche, marinated pork belly, grilled nectarine skeeers, and churros with Mexican hot chocolate. Oh my!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Fun...great flavors...interesting plates. This was a great find...many small plates with different flavors and spices. The Korean fried rice ( bibimbap ) was outstanding...the soap de Lima was very different. Fun fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrillJojoDined on 7/25/2014As long time patrons of Indigo Grill we were truly disappointed in the newly refurbished restaurant. The noise level was deafening, the food was mediocre while the service was great. Small appetizers and drinks aren't our idea of dinner. We chose small plates to try them out but were disappointed. Perhaps we chose the wrong appetizers but the chicken was bland and the beef tough. The manager was very accommodating when we spoke to him . While he explained the new concept for the restaurant we came to the conclusion this isn't the place for us. We loved the old menu and even though the scene was vibrant if the food had been top notch like it usually is perhaps we could have accepted Friday night enthusiastic bar scene type of noise.Special Features:
- Food was disappointingUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 7/23/2014Fish was a little dry and not particularly flavorful. Miss some items from old menu like "Good Things Growing". This restaurant is not as good as it used to be.
- Great rencarnationDowntownDwellerDined on 7/19/2014We love this new version of Indigo Grill. If only we could have heard each other better, we would be perfectly happy. We will be back!Special Features:
- Pipian Rojo Chicken BreastMissDecemberDined on 7/19/2014We decided to see what the hype was all about with the new renovation of Indigo Grill, definitely a great bar scene and love the warm colors. Amanda was our server, she was friendly and busy helping additional tables yet she took the time to see how we were doing. The salt & pepper shrimp appetizer was delicious, the dipping sauce flavorful! As far as my dinner entree it was bland, lacking flavor the Pipian Rojo Chicken Breast was not what I expected, first of all it was not a whole full breast, spaghetti squash should be spaghetti form. Kudos to Jason, GM he personally went out of his way to make it perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014What made this outstanding was the quality of the food-fantastic, and the ability to share small plates, so one is not tied to a main entree. It's a bit loud for a relaxing dinner (personal preference) and the wait staff rushed to clear the tables, bordering on annoying. It's a great restaurant, let people enjoy and relax. If the answer is, "leave that so we can pick at it", it should not have to be said 4 times. That is the ONLY negative. Hostess and bar staff great! But...the food-just fantastic!Special Features:
- Opt for another restaurantPabloDined on 7/19/2014First disappointment in Cohn's eateries helmed by Deborah Scott, who personally invited us to visit. Admired its contemporary gothic décor but disappointed with menu, food, service. While they bill the rather odd menu as something like Latin Fusion, it might more appropriately be called Latin Confusion--too cute and mysterious in descriptions of food items. Even our waiter made it more confusing when he tried to explain things to us. Frankly, not sure what we ordered or received. After fits and starts, we muddled through a few courses, waiting indefinitely for each serving. We are crossing Indigo Grill off our list of restaurants. Bumpy service, bizarre menu, fairly pricey for a casual restaurant in Little Italy: $70 plus tip. Diner beware.
- BETTER THAN EVER!JaimiVIPDined on 7/19/2014We always liked this place before the remodel, but we LOVE it now. The small plates and the added fish entrees make this a new favorite. I didn't get to try the rice because we ordered it with the sausage, but from what I hear, it was amazing too.Special Features:
- A taste for every palateBMan1008Dined on 7/17/2014I wanted to take my friend to dinner to celebrate his birthday. I haven't been to Indigo Grill in quite some time. Their new menu along with Chef Scott's classic menu give the diner a variety of culinary creations to choose from. For appetizers we had the Shrimp which was artfully displayed with its head and 2 dipping sauces. The Bibimbap which is one of my favorite Korean dishes was served in a 500F clay bowl which they cooked the rice table side. For our main course, I had the bucket of Fried Chicken and my guest had the skewers of beef and chicken. Both were playfully attractive, however the Bucket of Fried Chicken was amazing.It was juicy from being brined and there was no breading at all. Served over a delicious law but watch for chiliSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Very different food items. Tasty! The service was great. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Love the makeover!SoCalEnthuVIPDined on 7/13/2014We visited the newly updated Indigo Grill and the interior is nicer and the food is fantastic. We really enjoyed the new items on the menu and they still have some of the old standbys that we've enjoyed in the past. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Indigo Grill, a little disappointedHappyFoodLoveDined on 7/13/2014We were so excited to eat at the newly renovated Indigo Grill!! We have been following Chef Deborah Scott for over 10 years. We LOVED Kemo Sabe, we love Vintana and Island Prime/C Level. Amazing, amazing, and oh so Delicious (yes, with a capital "D")! We have celebrated many special occasions in front of Chef Scotts delicious food and even celebrated our rehearsal dinner 3 years ago at Indigo Grill :) With all that being said, we were disappointed with the "new" Indigo Grill. The food was exciting to look at, and came out perfectly hot, however, everything tasted bland and didn't leave us with the usual, "that was incredible .... so, when are we going back." Overall, we will continue to dine at Vintana and Island Prime/C Level.Special Features:
- unique & trendybirdy11Dined on 7/13/2014Our dining experience was very good with just a couple of minor exceptions. Very interesting menu, although almost "too" eclectic. It's a great place to try new dishes. We had three boards which were tasty, although the chicken was overly salty. Our salad was very good with a lovely dressing; wines were delicious; desert was extraordinary...rice pudding brule with berries...every bite was luscious. Overall, a very good experience. We would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new vibesmeredithsVIPDined on 7/12/2014The menu was revised, so we decided to try new appetizers. I started with the Local Bass Teridito- it was very interesting. Great bass on a salt block, coupled with avocado and corn nuts. Nice fresh fish. He had the Baby Kale & Quinoa salad and added chicken skewers, 2 were included with the add-on. He said he enjoyed the flavor. Then we had our standby of Alderwood Plank Salmon. Thankful it was still on the menu. I'm trying to observe gluten-free when I can, so he subbed the squid-ink pasta with spaghetti squash for me. He kept his order as-is and thoroughly enjoyed the pasta (I sure miss that - it has so much flavor). I really enjoyed my squash as well! Back to the salmon: it was great. It was a thicker piece than usual ++ !Special Features:
- Outstanding Make Over in Every Way!FishlovinsueDined on 7/12/2014I was so excited to try the new Indigo Grill once it reopened and I was blown away! Everything was beyond delicious! From Hawaiian Ahi Cebiche to sashimi style bass tiradito followed byCamaron double order of Anticucho Board was beyond mouth watering!! Also had to double up on La Fresca Cocktail! Can't wait to return and try all different things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefoodieDined on 7/12/2014This restaurants' "redo" is fabulous!! The food is outstanding - everything we tried we had never tasted before. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the dishes and described them all beautifully. Even the server was knowledgable and took the time to point out which items would likely taste best with the various sauces. The food was fresh and delicious - Deborah Scott never fails to amaze and satisfy.Special Features:
- Remodel is nice!LarryGVIPDined on 7/12/2014I like what they did with the remodel. Glad to see our favorites (skirts and salmon are on the short, Deborah's Classico section of the menu). Delicious! Lots of new small plate choices to try with our next visit.Special Features:
- A Peruvian ThemecobracatDined on 7/11/2014There are more items on the new menu...and they are generally spectacular: the pork belly items, the various cebiches, the grapefruit and avocado salad, papardelle pasta, and the desserts, for example.The ahi tiradito is excellent, but the portion is very skimpy. The fried chicken was very good, but dry. This is a hip, happening place, so there's already a good bit of noise. But add in the music piped through the restaurant, and you have a noise level that we older folks don't appreciate. We sat on the patio at a table with booth seating and chairs. Those with booth seating said the seat back was terribly uncomfortable. We want to go back to try other menu items that looked terrific, but the noise level might keep us away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-modeling finishedTerriODined on 7/11/2014Not only did the restaurant get a new look, so did the menu. The food was fantastic and there was so much to choose from, it was hard to settle on just a couple. We shared small plates and they were great. Deborah Scott hit another one out of the park!Special Features:
- Not the sameSdreloveVIPDined on 7/8/2014As craving their ribs. Reserved a table and got a call from the manager -" just finished remodel, what kind of area would you like to sit..". It is SO INTERESTING INSIDE - I love the new remodel! The menu was overhauled too. My favorite items were missing... Ribs and Good Things Growing. We ended up trying the crostini - the cucumber/almond was great. Not a big fan of the Serrano Ham. Took it off and enjoyed the rest of the crostini. The manager offered samples of another spread - nutty - like hummus - yummy. I ordered salmon, one of their original dishes - excellent! My friend ordered Steaks on Fire after asking the waiter if it was hot. It was so SPICY - he could barely eat it. Food is great, manager was excellent! Waiter was lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RemodelQCommVIPDined on 7/5/2014I really like the remodel. I am glad some old favorites are still on the menu, as these are superb. Jury is still out on some of the new items. The fried chicken is an interesting gluten free preparation. Sorry to see the bread pudding and other deserts are gone.
- A tasty, unique food eaterywab4foodDined on 4/23/2014The restaurant was warm décor with soft lighting to create a comfortable setting to enjoy a number of uniquely prepared dishes including both appetizers and main courses. It was my daughter's birthday dinner and the restaurant did not let me down. The food was beautifully presented, the food was alive with flavor and taste, the setting was warm and very comfortable to enjoy our special evening. I would say that the service was less than I would have hoped for such a wonderful restaurant, as our server was hard to find a couple of times when we needed something during out meal and when I wanted to close out my tab. The restaurant setting is very artistic and rustic, with plenty of unique creations through out the room. It was wonderful.Special Features:
- Our favorite San Diego restaurantIcruise4funDined on 4/23/2014The food, service, and ambiance at Indigo Grill are top notch. The menu is definitely eclectic, but we have never been disappointed. The salmon bruschetta and duck are our personal favorites. The butternut squash soup and Good Things Growing are also quite delicious. The staff is always super friendly and competent. This little gem in Little Italy is well worth the 4 hour drive it takes us to get there. Can't wait until we can get back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1676 reviews are from the Indigo Grill reviews archive.
- Great brunch!luvssandiegoDined on 4/20/2014Artful presentation, tasty ,flavorful food, excellent service. As always enjoyed eating there.Special Features:
- Terrific Easter menu!KinSDDined on 4/20/2014The Easter menu included both brunch items as well as dinner item which was a big plus for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.