Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6194374911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (226)special occasion (154)great for outdoor dining (132)romantic (132)good for groups (86)great for lunch (71)notable wine list (69)fit for foodies (55)great for brunch (51)neighborhood gem (39)kid-friendly (37)hot spot (22)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (13)Show More
- awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and it was an awesome experience def will come back again!!Special Features:
- TerriblekassDined on 8/18/2014Won't be back. Tourist trap. View is the only good thing about this place.
- WGGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014A reliable and consistent place with good food, great views , and a pleasant atmosphere. Service is prompt and attentive. This location just seems to do things a bit better. As usual reservations are worthwhile, but dropping in is possible. Great when combined with a trip to CoronadoSpecial Features:
- Good but loudPacman1Dined on 8/16/2014We used open table to book the reservation and we were in our seats right at 7:30. The food is always good at this restaurant and the view of San Diego is great too. The only thing that I don't like is the noise. I would recommend this to anyone except if you're going to propose, she may not be able to hear you. It's a great place to eat! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not very personableBrotherMaynardDined on 8/16/2014The lamb chops and filet (tagliata) were awesome. The mixed green salad was had a wonderful vinaigrette (and I don't care for greens that much). However, a bit of ambiance was lacking. If you took the food away, it felt like any other high-volume restaurant -- sling the hash and turn the table.Special Features:
- Satisfaction guaranteedjmzamarrDined on 8/15/2014Una noche muy agradable, y mejor con la rica cena que preparan y acompañado de una excelenet botella de vino blanco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was decent, the view and location is gorgeous! The service wasn't great, our waitor wasn't very attentive and I think it was because my friend and I didn't come off as rich or big tippers. That was my main problem with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the vibe and viewJOHNOTPDined on 8/14/2014Can't beat the bay skylines with plenty of tables unobstructed and well spaced. Food choices just the right verieti and tastes. Servers informed and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Cannelloni al forno was wonderful! View terrific, service great!Special Features:
- EnjoyOnlyGoodFoodDined on 8/12/2014The food has been excellent every time I have eaten at Il Fornaio, and the view is great of downtown San Diego from across the bay. No complaints...Special Features:
- very tuscaneleganceDined on 8/11/2014Great scenery, great food..service could of been better, but ok..it was our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst food in CoronadoAmirDined on 8/10/2014We ordered Cannelloni, Lasagna & Pizza with mushroom & ham. Cannelloni had so much white sauce & cheese it looked like Enchilada. Lasagna was floating in a cheese soup & white thick creme sauce. My daughter loves Lasagna, but it was so bad that plot gave her a stomach pain after few bites. Pizza was tasteless with maybe 5 small mushrooms on it.
- Casual to dressyScottyCycles62Dined on 8/10/2014I like this restaurant for many reasons one of which is the dress code. You can wear nice casual clothes or dressed to the 9's and neither will look out of place. The service is excellent. They do not rush you through your meal (not a turn-and-burn) and let you enjoy the company you are with without needlessly asking every few minutes how you are doing. The quality of the food is excellent as well and the portions are appropriate top the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!jlbarandaDined on 8/10/2014The food is really good and the view is spectacular!Special Features:
- great ambience, hit-and-miss eatsvandetta32ADined on 8/10/2014This place does not disappoint with ambience and decor. We were seated outdoors for Sunday brunch at 10:45 (get there early and you should have no trouble having your pick of seating). We were on a covered patio with bay views, and this was the best part of our visit. The food, however, was only moderate: I loved my french toast and my friend loved her eggs benedict with crab cakes, but everyone else seemed to think their food was "okay but not great." Ask your server for the most popular dishes or even the house specialities. Service friendly and very kid-oriented, especially in the mornings. We had three kids with us and they were happy, fed, and entertained the whole time. There is a separate kids menu for brunch.Special Features:
- Could have been betterJohnnyDined on 8/9/2014The food was really good. I got the pasta (homemade by the way) "Pennoni alla Vodka" and my wife got the angel hair pasta with lobster. I should have gotten wine (duh, it's an Italian place in California), but opted for the Swizzle cocktail- not a good choice. My wife was pregnant, and they had really nothing at all to offer besides bar juices. We requested outdoor dining on the patio with our reservation, but the best they could do was put us by the window. Good thing is, we were able to see the fireworks which were right outside on the water, just would have been nice to actually be outside. The service was subpar. Our waiter, an older gentleman with an Italian accent, didn't really greet us and wasn't very attentive at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Views & HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The panaroma of the SD Bay is exceptional and even more so at nightfall. Service was impeccable, the host even seated us earlier than our reservation and accomodated a window seat. The food is typically outstanding, so we were taken aback when the veal came out a bit tough. The waiter quickly made amends and all five members of our party enjoyed all facets of the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant !gourmand1Dined on 8/7/2014Loved this restaurant so much that we returned again 2 nights after our first dinner there. Friendly and warm staff. Fabulous and courteous service. The view is second to none. The minestrone, cesarina salad, butternut squash ravioli, and of course, the bread, were beyond fantastic! Can't wait to try more of the dishes on the menu. Will dine there again when we are in Coronado next Summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerFsquaredDined on 8/7/2014Overall Il Forniao is a very nice restaurant. We booked on OT and requested a specific table and when we arrived it was ready for us. The food was very good but the timing of the courses was off but our waiter recovered and made for a nice night out. The view of San Diego is beautiful from Il Forniao. we will return when we are back in Coronado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleCDined on 8/6/2014Dined outdoors with a view of San Diego from across the bay. Special food selection from a featured region of Italy was great. Service was excellent. A bit of inconvenience when another guest arrived with a "Comfort Service dog" that got out of its cage on multiple instances.Special Features:
- Best view in town!NonFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I have dined at Il Fornaio many times and return whenever someone from out of town is here and a special night out is appropriate. The view across the harbor to downtown San Diego from Coronado is spectacular, and the service is impeccable. I generally have been happier with the entrees than I was this trip, however. The breads are the best in Southern California, though...and that is enough to bring me back again soon.Special Features:
- Food amountOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014The only complaints are the small portion sizes for the prices. And it was way too noisy. Great service!Special Features:
- myspot2dineDined on 7/31/2014My dining experience at Il Fornaio is always a pleasant one. Anytime a friend comes to town, I make sure we dine here. I also dine here for special occasions or just for a nice lunch or dinner time. Thank you, Yolanda MejiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BatmanRobynDined on 7/30/2014Best wine ever- my favorite place to celebrate birthdays (they give you very special treatment!!!). My sister and I went Wends for her birthday and we are still ravingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our S D favoritesFunFoodFriendsDined on 7/27/2014Beautiful view of San Diego! The patio on the water is so romantic we always find our Italian favorites. We try something new for us on the menu and each choose a favorite from visits of the past! My personal favorite is the beef carpaccio!Special Features:
- Good Restaurant!!XavierSaraDined on 7/27/2014Food was good, view was amazing. Ease and free parking. A pleasant experience and good location for date night or a special celebration.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!jlbarandaDined on 7/26/2014The food is really good, the view is spectacular and it is great for big groups.Special Features:
- HankVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had poor service probably due to a large private function in a separate part of the restaurant. The salmon was not very flavorful. We have eaten here many times and this is the second time we have had very poor service. I cannot recommend this restaurant if the staff is overcommitted. This is the first time that the salmon was almost flavorless. The house salad was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a shining moment on this tripSkitripper1VIPDined on 7/24/2014The service was poor and slow; my brother's pizza was ice cold when served. Clearly they were understaffed and overwhelmed, but to not have updates from the wait staff, let alone apologies for the delay, I can only say that this was not a shining moment and one of my worst experiences at Il Fornaio. Too bad as that is not always the case. I am from the East Coast and for several years, always make a point to have a dinner when visiting family in Coronado. For all of the wrong reasons, this was a memorable experience. I will return, but things have to improve. There has to be a good meal when enjoying the skyline and San Diego Bay as there are other options...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have gone to Olive Garden!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Waiter was not very enthused to be serving the night we went. My wife ordered the conchiglie al pollo, which was fairly tasteful - chicken could have been cooked a little longer, but I am sure most of us have different doneness likings. I ordered (I cannot remember the specific name) what was basically spaghetti with meat (lamb) sauce. Round two of the order came out much more appealing than the first. The thick hair sticking out of a piece of lamb meat just did not work - by the way, no apology was given but we moved on! After water and wine had both been tapped for about five minutes after asking for refills, my wife and I had decided that this was not a place that we will recommend, nor return to.Special Features:
- Amazing PastaLeanneVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great restaurant. Be sure to ask which pastas are made in-house -- not all are. The spinach ravioli was superb. The pizza was good, but of course it's more authenticl Italian so not what we Americans rave about when it comes to pizza. There just is nothing comparable to the view of the San Diego skyline from Coronado. Il Fornaio is smack dab in the best spot to take it in while dining.Special Features:
- Hits and some MissesSDAlanDined on 7/19/2014On the positive side, both my wife's meal of curry sauced chicken and my meal of the seafood mixed grill were quite good. Also, due to our OpenTable reservation, we were seated promptly at the requested time. On the other side of the ledger, the portion of the main dining room in which we were seated was quite noisy, making conversation difficult. The real issue was the wait time between our food courses. It took nearly 20 minutes to be served our appetizer course, from the time we ordered it, and then another 30 minutes after that to receive our main course. Just be prepared for a "leisurely" meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply the bestmangiaDined on 7/19/2014our anniversary party dinner was simply the best! from the hostess to the bussers to the wait staff - all are professional, attentive without being instrusive & courteous. the food was excellent, as always. the children's dinners were prepared & presented with the same attention to detail as the offerings from the main menu. Thank you Il Fornaio for another great dining experience!Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014A bit pricey but worth it especially for a specail occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ginnys Bday dinnerGinnysDined on 7/18/20146 for dinner and it was very nice.. Only part that was sort of negative was the DEEP booths for six. too deep and cramped for a nice dining place like this. Will make sure to get a table next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. View but....MimiDined on 7/18/2014The view is outstanding but unfortunately the food does not live up to the view. My mixed seafood plate was quite nice, however my husband's veal was tough and tasteless. We have eaten here several times and at least one dish during each dinner is a disappointment. I hope they will work to improve this flaw.Special Features:
- Always enjoy El FornaioAggieProfVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were four for dinner - 3 adults and a 6 year old boy. The waiters were very attentive and the service was great. We had a table by the window too - very nice. The food was as usual wonderful and we even took home some of the delicious rolls. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our FAV in CoronadoEricDined on 7/17/2014We LOVE Il Fornaio and always take visiting guests there at least once. Great food at extremely reasonable prices... it's hard to imagine they're a chain, at all!!Special Features:
- Not bad - not goodHerb3VIPDined on 7/16/2014First the service was outstanding. Our server was very concerned about our satisfaction and reacted to our comments quickly and with grace. Second the view is the best od San Diego. Wonderful. Thirdly, however, the food was very disappointing. At first both meals arrived cold. Not a good start. After heating in the oven one was ok but the other very disappointing. I would recommend for the view but not too sure about the food.Special Features:
- Ottimo! (come sempre)CarolaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Nostra cena del Veneto era molto buona. Complimenti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.