888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: 7818942234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)special occasion (111)neighborhood gem (92)notable wine list (87)romantic (62)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Autumn at I'll CapriccioOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Started wit the Soufflé do Porcini which bus always great. This time the mushroom pieces were bigger than ever. We also had a wonderful nebbiolo wit our main courses of lamb osso bucco and duck confit risotto. Place never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Never fails-- pure Italian Excellent food preparation, excellent ingredients Excellent service Excellent wine list and fair pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous dinner and ambiance!luv2cookDined on 10/25/2014Just ate with a group of 10 for a family gathering and a celebration of my daughter's first college parents' weekend. Food was yummy, wine was delicious and a fun time was had by all! Would clearly go again for our next special occasion.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Our first time back in a few years. The porcini souffle and lasagne tasted as though they had been frozen and reheated and had suffered as a result. The souffle was extremely heavy, greasy, very salty with far too much cheese. It bore no resemblance to a souffle. The lasagne was very bland and had very little sauce. We were really looking forward to the chocolate dessert and again were disappointed. We both ordered one and both of us thought they did not taste homemade.Special Features:
- Met High Expectations!RickDined on 10/24/2014After reading extensive reviews, expectation level was set high and Il capriccio hit the mark. All items sampled (chicken, risotto, fish and veal) were inventively prepared with top quality ingredients and professional preparation. All dishes were as they should have been and when coupled with an extensive wine list (populated with an incredible selection of 'vini Piemontesi') and solid, well-informed wait staff - this is a winner! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Best Italian in Boston!!BordeauxBuffVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a hidden gem in the MetroWest burbs.....have been dining here for years....never disappointed. The menu and wine list are of constant innovation; never a dull moment, and the service is tops as well. If you're looking for a one of a kind Italian experience, skip the big city and head to the burbs for this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overall experience!CCMDDined on 10/17/2014My guest and I enjoyed a European dining experience. We hadn't seen each other in a long time and had a lot to talk about. They could tell so they left us alone. The waiter was very nice and offered good suggestions. I have some food sensitivities and was happy hear that the entrée I wanted had no garlic in it. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjoanneDined on 10/15/2014This is my go-to place for after work dinners and dinner with "girlfriends". Service is efficient and knowledgeable, the food is great, and I love the variety of appetizers, small plates and mains.Special Features:
- The best restaurantSonnyVIPDined on 10/14/2014Il Capriccio is the best restaurant in the Boston area. It is a gem. Richard is the best chef in Boston and one of the most creative.Special Features:
- Il Capriccio was superbBillADined on 10/13/2014I had dear friends from abroad to entertain and wanted an upscale restaurant that would impress them (they are very cosmopolitan) and have an ambiance suitable for a conversation. Our evening at Il Capriccio was terrific. Each of the four of us had seafood appetizers and entrees. The former included tuna tartare, mussels, calamari and gravlax, while the latter included swordfish, trout, a cod dish, and a lobster/pasta dish. We ended up sharing everything and all enjoyed each dish. We were so full that we shared two desserts - a lemon mousse and an apple pastry with ice cream - also both delicious. Service was very attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Gourmet ItalianSlingerlandsFoodieDined on 10/11/2014We have been dining at Il Capriccio off and on since it opened decades ago. We last ate there on a trip to Boston (we live in Upstate New York) on Columbus Day weekend. The food is spectacular and reliably consistent. It would be hard to find a more comprehensive wine list. And, the sommelier, Jason, is expert at matching wine with food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodbostondiner123Dined on 10/11/2014This was one of the best meals we have ever had, the food was phenomenal. The decor seemed a little dated, but the food more than made up for it. Great service as well, we had a great dinner.Special Features:
- Great experienceBillDined on 10/6/2014This is a great restaurant with great food, service and atmosphere. I brought my cousins here from out of town and they absolutely loved everything about the place. You will not be disappointed, if you choose to visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive, delicious foodKensBarbieDined on 10/4/2014We were staying in Waltham while on college visits with our son. We tried Il Capriccio based on TripAdvisor ratings. No wonder it is at the top of the list! Everything our party ordered was absolutely delicious, in particular the Porcini mushroom souffle (to die for!), the duck confit risotto and the figs wrapped in speck. Our only regret was that we were too full to order dessert. Excellent service as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular dinner!bader929Dined on 10/3/2014I took my boyfriend out for his birthday dinner here with a small group of friends. Everything was spectacular. They sprinkled happy birthday confetti on the table- festive and fun. Sommelier was incredibly knowledgeable about the wines, & we chose a wonderful red, which is a new favorite. Everyone's dinner was perfect. I ordered the chicken snitzel - very tasty breadcrumb that was crunchy on the outside, juicy chicken on the inside. My boyfriend ordered the lamb osso bucco which was perfect. They brought a sinfully delicious chocolate cake for the birthday boy, with happy birthday and artwork made out of chocolate. Gorgeous! I can't say enough good things about the service!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014We went back to Il Capriccio and enjoyed the great service & food. The risotto was delicious, as was the lamb osso bucco, figs with gorgonzola & prosciutto, pasta w fresh tomato, garlic, & shrimp, & salads. The staff remembered us and teased us about "bumping up" to the main restaurant as we often prefer the less formal bar area, where the same menu is served. Excellent wine by the glass, strong coffee w/ biscotti...we were glad to be back.Special Features:
- SpecialDarkAngelDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful quiet corner table where we could dine and converse. We did not feel boxed in.Special Features:
- Quality all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014Il Capriccio served excellent food using fresh, quality ingredients and masterful execution. Service was excellent; professional and personable. I look forward to returning for another great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Il Capriccio is one of the best restaurants around. The food is excellent. The service is superb. This restaurant has the best Italian wine selection in MA. In 34 years, Il Capriccio has really figured out how to deliver a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014A terrific experience all around!!! Great service excellent food and great wineSpecial Features:
- Dinner with GrammawestonmomVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our reservation was 530P on Saturday - we were seated immediately and noise level was quiet. As the dining room became busy, the noise was more energetic. Food was good; we ordered bread and asked for butter to come with it. We had to remind them to bring the butter. The bread was cold. It wouldn't have hurt to heat it a little - same thing with the next basket. Wine by the glass was excellent.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysdineratSPHDined on 9/19/2014Consistently Great on all criteria. Nothing more to say
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/19/2014Il Capriccio is our favorite restaurant! We went with another couple this time, and everyone enjoyed their food. Two of us got the mixed green salad, we had a an octopus appetizer, we had a small pasta appetizer, and we had a fig and burrata cheese appetizer. All were delicious! For entrees, one of us got the duck, one of us got the chicken schnitzel with a fried egg on top, and the other two of us got the ribeye steak with fresh vegetables. For dessert, we had home made mint chip ice cream and lemon mousse which is the signature dessert of the restaurant. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Waiter in a bad mood?ER325VIPDined on 9/19/2014Great meal. Sloppy, inattentive and at times downright rude service. We are at Il Capricio frequently and have never experienced anything quite like this. Will return but warily.Special Features:
- The usual excellence.jamesVIPDined on 9/19/2014Another wonderful experience dining at Il Capriccio. We've gone to this gem of a place for many years, since it was a pleasant hole-in-the-wall around the corner on Prospect Street with occasional wine-tasting dinners, with wines from specific vineyards along with representatives to answer questions. It has always been excellent under Richie's chefdom, and last night's meal was no exception. This is, IMO, one of the consistently top picks in the Boston area. Whereas the atmosphere/ambience has always been very comfortable, the recent remodeling has lightened and opened-up the feeling. I approve of the change. You can always expect great food, a great choice of fine wines, excellent service, and a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014Perfectly dressed salad fresh from the garden! The most amazing bolognese lasagna and an outstanding lemon mousse. BRAVO!Special Features:
- High End diningrobtDined on 9/15/2014The place to go for a high end dining experience. Everything is well done and it is not even among the most expensive. Wonderful appetizers and an extensive menu. Most people will need help with the wine list which is large. They were very helpful with that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, againBODandBOWDined on 9/13/2014The staff helped make my husband's birthday dinner a wonderful occasion. The food and service were both excellent. Between wine, appetizers, entrees and dessert there wasn't a single wrong note. I only wished we lived closer so that we could visit more than once or twice a year.Special Features:
- Delightful on a birthdayMaisieSeattleDined on 9/11/2014Great crimini soufflé, and warm and inviting environment and service to celebrate an occasion. A wonderful find in the burbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a birthdayclcbDined on 9/11/2014Guest of honor in her 90s loves Il Capriccio and the food which never fails to be wonderful. Asked for a quiet table and were very comfortable. Staff advice is always spot on. A very special spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and ClassicTMEODined on 9/10/2014My husband and I ate here for our last official "date night" before our first child arrives in our lives. It was romantic without being over the top. We could hear each other talk and enjoyed the food, service, ambiance and the overall experience. The prices were just right for the occasion, as well. Only drawback was we could hear the conversations near us and at times it was hard to NOT overhear our neighbors. Still, a nice way to spend an evening dining out.Special Features:
- Attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Are at Il Cappricio for our 47tg wedding anniversary. Staff made special efforts to seat us at an excellent table, and provided biscotti with candles and decoration to note the occasion. Excellent food and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Continue to be impressed with this restaurant. Food is always great, and the service is wonderful. This visit I asked the sommelier for some help with the wine list and he listened to me and recommended a great wine. And with no prompting from me, at a moderate price.Special Features:
- globetrotterDined on 9/5/2014I have dined in fine restaurants all over the world. This one ranks very high in my experience. The service was courteous and prompt, the food superb. I would recommend Il Capriccio enthusiastically to anyone.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodShavanahVIPDined on 9/5/2014Although difficult to find, once you're inside you are pleasantly surprised. The dining area is quaint. We were seated in a corner and it was a bit tight. The servers were very attentive. I had the chicken schnitzel and it was very delicious. The chicken was moist, yet had the right amount to crunch on the outside (breading wasn't soggy). The accompanying spatzle was slightly dense which was good. The fried egg was lovely, cooked perfectly. Overall a good dine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014. Several small rooms meant quiet dining. Excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff makes it!1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the moment we're greeted by the hostess, Liz, to the help with wine selections by Susan, and if we're lucky Vinnie is around with a smile, to catching a glimpse of the kitchen, or an after dinner drink at the bar, we love everyone! The refreshed interior is a nice change. The wine list always feels a bit overwhelming, but the staff are greatly knowledgable and their selections in the front are helpful! I will continue to try to get there at every opportunity!Special Features:
- Excellent experience, as usual.GeorgeVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have dined there many times, and the food is always excellent, and the service is very accommodating. The only negative is the parking lot which is shared with a liquor store, but this is managable. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Best in WalthamBackbaydinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014I believe that this is the best food offered in Waltham!Special Features:
- Always perfectMattVIPDined on 9/2/2014My company has an office in Waltham, so we eat here quite a bit. No matter when I come or what we eat the meal is always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.