Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
1024 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/
- Phone: 3126400999
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
After years of searching far and wide for a location to open the follow-up restaurant to the highly successful Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse, owners Hugo Ralli and Steve Lombardo found what they were looking for right under their noses. In February of 1997 they launched the seafood companion to the Chicago legend they had created with Gibsons and named it Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House. The restaurant is dedicated to the same principles as its predecessor, unbelievable portions, value and quality coupled with memorable service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
327 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (165)fit for foodies (123)hot spot (121)neighborhood gem (118)good for groups (109)vibrant bar scene (95)notable wine list (85)great for outdoor dining (77)romantic (47)late-night find (43)great for lunch (29)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (10)Show More
- Service slow - food average at bestsodlidDined on 9/27/2014We were seated on time. It took us sitting in our seat ten minutes before anybody bothered to come and take our drink order. It took a long time to get our food, which isn't always bad, except nobody ever came back to check on us and I certainly could have used another beer. I was dry for twenty minutes. Finally when food came I was asked if I wanted another drink. By that time I was used to drinking only water (by the way, the water-fillers etc. did a great job) and gave up on any more beers. We were done with dinner for 20 minutes before we saw our waiter again and could ask for our bill. Never going back - too many other options in the area. - by the way, trout was below average.
- Always a great choiceGBgirlDined on 9/25/2014We hadn't been to Hugo's in a while so decided to return while in town for a conference and it was as good as we remembered. Crab cakes are a must...and I don't normally like crab cakes! So much crab meat, so delicious. Our wait staff and bartenders were great as usual, making it a fun night.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBirthday44Dined on 9/23/2014Great ambiance, but noisey! We were first going to be seated in a corner booth that would have been way too tight, but our hostess graciously put us in another booth that was more open and comfortable. Delicious food and great service! I was very pleased with our menu choices and the entire evening. Our waiter, Frank M made a great recommendation for my entree because I couldn't decide between 2 items. We were in no rush and didn't feel rushed by the wait staff and it didn't take long to receive our food from the time we ordered. Frank made sure I received a birthday treat of ice cream. We were actually way too full to order dessert. Great dining experience! I would recommend to others!Special Features:
- Hugo's Frog Bar is hoppinTopher33Dined on 9/23/2014High energy hot spot, restaurant has great ambiance that makes you feel like it is the place to be. Broad fish menu plus Gibson steak menu means there is something for everyone. Unique twists on common dishes makes this a unique dining service. The service is great, the staff very personable. A definite must when you are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Spot in Tourist-y NeighborhoodJackieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed the outdoor seating and prompt service. The food came in large portions, and the wine list was solid.Special Features:
- Love Hugo's Frog BarJeanneDined on 9/23/2014We had the best server ever! Mike (a/k/a Mikey, Mikey-O) was wonderful, so attentive, and made our night even more enjoyable. Food was great; it always is. The salmon was perfect!Special Features:
- Mediocre ServiceJudgieDined on 9/21/2014Atmosphere was great. Waiter was less than enthusiastic in describing the menu. He did not make you feel like there was anything special about the menu. His attitude conveyed the thought - just order its all the same. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- ExcellentBarbieDined on 9/19/2014I go to Hugo's every time I'm in town and it is always great!Special Features:
- RobertonthegoRobertonthegoDined on 9/19/2014Outstanding taste and cooking of fish. Definitely a must go in Chicago, but reservation is essential for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation night out with familyBeefy59Dined on 9/18/2014We visit downtown once a year while on vacation and try a different restaurant ever year. We were not disappointed with this years selection in Hugo's. The ladies started with a Martini that were outstanding. It had been a few years since I tried frog legs, they were fall off the bone tender. Soup / Salad were OK, Lobster, Crab Legs, Sea Bass and Swordfish were prepared perfectly. All of the seafood was very fresh with melt in mouth with flavor. The bone in ribeye, (WR Special) was tender with great flavor, might have been a little off of the advertised 22 oz. All in all we will return for another night out.Special Features:
- Not really worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/17/2014Hugo's is okay but other fish houses at the same level are better. The space is unpleasantly crowded and the food, while good, is not exceptional. The very best thing we had was the cherry pie; that would be worth a late-night visit.Special Features:
- Awesome food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Our visit was a weeknight, and it was busy' (always a good sign) Our server was on time, our drinks never went dry, and our food was perfect. Thanks and Kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014The food was tremendous and the service second to none. Our waiter was phenomenal and took great care of us.Special Features:
- Excellent fresh fishgreat2eatoutDined on 9/14/2014Hugo's has great service and excellent fresh fish. You can spend a lot or you can choose some less expensive entrees. I especially like the Lake Superior whitefish. Portions are large!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMfroggyDined on 9/13/2014The food was fantastic. Best crab legs and frogs legs ever!! our server was on point with great salesman ship and delivery. They have fit a lot into a smaller space so the tables are a little close together, it's a little loud but it seemed very upscale and was very busy and poppin with people. Overall it was amazing!! Also enjoyed the live piano music. Great time for birthday dinner and first time in Chicago😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindMelDMcGDined on 9/12/2014First of all our waiter Matt was the best! He was so personable and attentive. My boyfriend had the walleye and I had the steak and cake. The steak was cooked perfectly and the crab cake had very little filler. The sauce for the crab cake was to die for!!!! The walleye was really tasty as well. Great place and we will make a point to dine here during our next visit to Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Super service, tasty, all freshly cooked food, good wine selection by the glass, professional & very friendly staff (and it was packed out). Would def. recommend & go again when visiting Chicago next time.Special Features:
- Excellent DiningMaybonesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Excellent menu, Excellent food and Good service from most. When in Town, add this to your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BTJKDined on 9/12/2014Food very good, tables way too tight making the noise level very high, otherwise very good place for dinner, sea bass was fantistic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feast for eyes, ears, mouthpmbakerDined on 9/12/2014Took my wife for her 30th birthday (though I didn't tell the waiter b/c she hates being sung to at restaurants) and we really enjoyed ourselves! There was great live music around the corner from where we were sitting, but it didn't detract from our ability to have a nice conversation. The food was better than outstanding - we shared frog legs, crab cake, steak medallions oscar style, and sea bass. It was fresh, hot, delicious and just the right amount of food. The wine list was pretty extensive. We shared a bottle of moscato and the service was so good that we never had to refill our glasses. The restaurant is in a vibrant part of town and is itself well appointed. We will be going back!Special Features:
- pricey but goodkrismc70Dined on 9/12/2014Great food. Pricey but par for the neighborhood. Must have the creme Brule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itSarejVIPDined on 9/11/2014We always have Hugo's on our restaurant list when we visit Chicago. Best crab cakes anywhere. Good service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faboulous foodNotthatPickyDined on 9/11/2014The food was excellent! I had the walleye and a side of mushrooms - it was perfect! My parents loved their meals too - Mom had the Dover sole. The waiter was fun and service was very good. Hugo's is vibrant and loud (so not a good place for a romantic dinner) and lots of fun. A guy in the booth behind us photo bombed our picture - too funny! Definitely a great place to go in the city!Special Features:
- Rock solidSidVVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great food, wine list to my liking and very good service. Can be noisy but most recently we lucked out with the 'Winston Churchill elevator booth' which cut down on noise and made it more romantic. A go-to for special occasions but the menu is broad enough for more frequent visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugo'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Very good food but it should be for the amount they charge. The server spoke loudly and did not seem to have the experience and/or personality for this position. What made this a good experience was that the food was very, very good.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceRockstarVIPDined on 9/7/2014We had friends in Chicago from out of town and we wanted to pick the perfect place. The waiter was very knowledgeable and very attentive. The crab ceviche and the sea bass and big crab leg was simply outstanding, the best sea bass I have ever eaten. Thank you for a wonderful experience! Our friends loved it and we all had a great time!Special Features:
- LOVE ITFoodiequeenVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've been so many times because I live in the neighborhood, just have never written a review!! Everything is fantastic!!! Oysters, crab legs, tuna, steak, crab bisque soup, and the list is endless. I've had everything on the menu and you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- philVIPDined on 9/6/2014very consistent and always great food and service never disappoints in what you receive at the restaurant. portions are oversizeSpecial Features:
- Great food. Service too fast!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Fast service is generally commendable. However, in this case it felt like we were being rushed to get the table ready for the next group. We were served our appetizer on literally a minute from ordering, which was fine. Then, when the first person at our table finished their soup the bowl was whisked away and within a couple of minutes our mains were brought out. The food was excellent and our server very knowledgeable and friendly, but the meal felt very rushed which maybe it was as the restaurant was packed and people were waiting, but it's not a great feeling when you want to enjoy the food and conversation and not get whisked out within an hour of sitting down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago Fun!YUMMY1Dined on 9/5/2014We stay at the Sofitel, walk to Hugo's down Rush after starting with Champagne at the Sofitel. Typically drink too much, go clubbing after dinner to work off buzz, then take a cab back the arduous walk of 5-6 blocks. GREAT night out recipe every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- damedinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014An enjoyable experience from the greeting at reception to walking out with a baggy filled with part of the unbelieveably large-----and delicious!----key lime pie. Great service. Frog legs among the best I've eaten.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014We came here on a random Tuesday. Restaurant was fairly busy. We sat at the bar and had a drink. Great wine, great bartender! We were enjoying the bar ambiance so much we thought about eating at the bar rather than take our table! Ended up getting seated. Had a fantastic server! Ordered oysters to start- delish! Husband ordered bookbinder soup, a wedge, and the double baked potato (his fav). I ordered the Tuna Steak. It was wonderful! Cooked the way I wanted it and the sesame crust added a lot of texture! Hugo's is basically Gibson's little sibling- some of the same items carry over.Special Features:
- millertime2Dined on 9/2/2014Really nice time looking forward to coming back. Very kind gesture for the complementary birthday Crème Brule. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family get togetherchitowngirlDined on 8/31/2014This evening was a such a treat all around. Great food, wine, friends and family. The wait staff is the best around. Thanks for making it such a pleasant and fund time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerChicagoeatsDined on 8/31/2014Food was amazing. Portions are large so share with friends. Every time we're in Chicago we go to Hugo Frog's.Special Features:
- Great gemLiz7944Dined on 8/30/2014This place was great. Great food selection. Whether you are hungry for seafood/fish or something less "fishy". We were able to sit and chat with friends and not have to shout. Our waiter was absolutely hilarious and fun to be around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusicLanaDined on 8/29/2014The site said there was music. I would like to see it. We were placed far from the piano. That was a pitty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience!ChasserDined on 8/29/2014When we visit Chicago, we love staying in different neighborhoods and trying different restaurants. This was our first visit and it was a total winner. Food was wonderful. The service was exceptional. Dishes were explained, questions were answered, all in a professional but very friendly way. They made us feel comfortable and welcome. The wine list was grand. The decorating was very tasteful and inviting. We found everything to be totally delightful and such fun. It is definitely on the list for our return visit.Special Features:
- very averagenadouDined on 8/29/2014the service is fine . prices are on the high end. Overall the food is not that tasty and quite bland. disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Night, Great FoodPhoenixrizesDined on 8/28/2014The delicious food & lovely ambiance lends it's way to a guaranteed fabulous night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.