Holland House Bar & Refuge
935 West Eastland Avenue
Nashville, TN 37206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Holland House Bar & Refuge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hollandhousebarandrefuge.com/
- Phone: 6152624190x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
*This is an 18 and up establishment
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kristen Beringson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Holland House Bar & Refuge
HHB&R, located in the heart of historic East Nashville, less than a mile from downtown Nashville, has proved a welcome addition to the local culinary scene. Located in the shell of a long-standing neighborhood grocery, Holland House Bar & Refuge is a re-imagined neighborhood haven that sources local and regional ingredients, and offers an expansive menu of cocktails, sipping spirits, and craft beer. Voted Best New Bar 2010 and Best New Restaurant (#2) 2010 by the people of Nashville in the Nashville Scene's Annual Reader's Poll, HHB&R has been embraced as the leader of the city's all-encompassing restaurant experience. With a New American culinary style consistent with the casual and the elegant, and the bar overseen by celebrated mixologists, HHB&R continues to evolve and prosper with an ever-changing roster of cocktails and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Holland House Bar & Refuge - Best Restaurants in East Nashville ›
Holland House Bar & Refuge reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (79)great for outdoor dining (55)vibrant bar scene (55)special occasion (52)romantic (50)hot spot (37)good for groups (15)notable wine list (13)late-night find (13)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- First dissapointing mealHootVIPDined on 10/16/2014Holland House is a favorite. This past Friday the service was not up to par. It took 15 minutes to get our wine order. Two people in the party ordered black rice and squid. This dish was not fit to consume. 5 people tasted the dish and no one at the table liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary spotCbusfoodieDined on 10/15/2014I had a tremendous meal for our wedding anniversary including a nice added touch from the restaurant - free champagne and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adaptability is not badGiveitatryDined on 10/14/2014First, I enjoy this restaurant for many reasons. But recently took someone from out of town and had bragged about The Holland House. I was disappointed however when I asked for a substitution for the lentils on the lamb plate. The waiter apoligized and said the chef did not allow substitutions. I understand the chef has matched up the sides with the meat, however I happen not to like lentils. I was particular what was substituted, but I was told no. So I ordered the duck which was okay, but I wanted the lamb. I have reservations for next week, which I will probably end up canceling and going somewhere with a little more flexibility. The Holland House is good, the chef is talented, but it is my money and my taste buds.Special Features:
- Saturday night diner.TwooldcouplesDined on 10/11/2014Delicious food and lively atmosphere. We tried the lamb chops, short ribs and oak-fired chicken. We also tried the hot chicken for an appetizer and the kale salad. All was cooked to perfection and very pleased with the selections. The drinks were equally as good as the food. Enjoyed every morsel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Reservations!BabsDined on 10/10/2014Be sure to have a reservation for Holland House, they get booked up on the weekends. Do plan to spend a good 2 hours for your dinner. This is not a fast food joint! Those specialty cocktails don't just happen, they are crafted. I enjoyed the new fall drinks menu, had a kale salad starter and the oyster special. My friend had the lentil chili and the short ribs... the meat just fell off the bone. So delicious. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Loved it!!!! Can't wait to go back!FlippenawesomeDined on 10/4/2014From beginning to end, the experience was great! Great drink selections and ambiance was perfect for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The lamb was delicious. For dessert the pumpkin pie cheese cake was great comfort food - a very special offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!pbrogzDined on 9/26/2014Just visiting Nashville and I found this place on Open Table. In a weird neighborhood, but it is a special space. Beautiful decorating, moody lighting, friendly service, upscale without being too stuffy. Food (meester burger and the hummus plate) was great! Sit outside if you can, especially on a beautiful day.Special Features:
- Holland House a True RefugefoodnservicejunkieDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant was on our list of dining spots to experience for quite some time. It did not disappoint. We made a late 9:30 pm reservation for 4 and arrived about 30 minutes early. It was still a very full house with no open seats available at the front bar. We were invited to sit at the back bar, which I'm told is was a rare honor. The bar staff there were busy, but very friendly and talkative when they could (maybe they appreciated some good company). We were invited to move to our table at exactly 9:30 and we enjoyed our dinners very much. The staff we interacted with were very friendly and service oriented. It was a great and tasty experience. If I was a local, I'd be there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRUFFLE FRIEShnocheraDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at Holland House and I was extremely pleased. I had only heard good things so I had high expectations and they definitely lived up. We ordered the hot nuts, brussel sprouts, and truffle fries appetizers and ended up getting a second order of fries and a second order of brussel sprouts. They were AMAZING. Then for dinner we got the duck, the filet, and the whole bronzini. All great! A definite recommendation! They also have some awesome drinks.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good. Place was a little cold and service could have been a bit faster, but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- a little underwhelmingNYCgalDined on 9/12/2014We expected to be wow-ed ... but mostly, everything was just pretty good. - despite having a reservation, we got seated at a bar table, which is not ideal for what is supposed to be upscale dining - while the apps + drinks were wonderfully tasty, the entrees were bland + uninspired food. textures were excellent, but flavor was lacking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinksArmyMomDined on 9/6/2014We went here for a date night. Even though we had reservations we opted to sit at the bar, since we never get to do this. Bartender was awesome, answering questions about both the food and bar menu. Drinks were excellent - wish I could have tried more on the bar menu, but alas I am a lightweight since giving birth to my 2yo. However, I felt the food was over seasoned with too much spice. I do enjoy spicy foods, but it was too spicy for my taste. I would go back for drinks, but not for the food.Special Features:
- Love it, but not in the summerLoveChickenWillTravelDined on 9/5/2014I love, love, love Holland House Bar & Refuge - it's a must for whenever I have company visiting from out of town!! Food is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING - local, impressive, & truly innovative. The only thing I will say is that we dined inside @ one of the high tops & it was pretty hot & stuffy - like almost had to leave & get our food to-go kind of hot & stuffy. It's a wonderful, ambient, local atmosphere & in the autumn, winter, & spring it's quite lovely experience. We started with an appetizer of hot chicken, then had the pork shank with grits & Mac & cheese for the main course, then vanilla cheesecake with peach compote for dessert - absolutely divine. A true gastro pub experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for something differentEatWisconsablyDined on 9/3/2014Staying at Opryland and wanted to get away from group for private dining. Worked out perfect for group of 6 who needed to talk. Hade the Teres Major Filet- yummy! Also Mac n cheese quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoriterose8redDined on 9/1/2014I have been in Nashville for two years. I have tried other restaurants and the "new" kids on the block but by far, this is still my favorite.Special Features:
- Overall disappointingAnonymousVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been here several times. I have yet to have the same experience twice. This time dinner started an hour late with slow service, dirty flatware, and no drinks available while we waited. Food was good, but at least 2 of the meals came out cold. Disappointed that I took newcomers to town here and left frustrated.Special Features:
- smsmith416Dined on 8/30/2014Loved the new menu and small plate options. Great bar that is always creating fun new cocktails to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DDateNightDDateNightDined on 8/30/2014Love the relaxing atmosphere, clean refreshing drinks and unique amazing food! Great place for a romantic date night or fun bar atmosphere to hang out with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodIsAnExperienceTooDined on 8/29/2014This was my third time to eat here in about a year. Each time, the service and food quality declined. The menu was filled with heavy and temperature hot foods I would expect in the winter. Three of us actually chose to share 4-5 appetizers because no interest in Entree menu. The place was so hot. We should have just dined at an outside table. Server was a awkward at best. I had a fabulous meal and service during my first visit. The two other visits were disappointing. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Friday Evening DinnerBritdineVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great selection of cocktails which were really good, and the food was great shared the truffle fries as an appetizer which are excellent, had the fish special (salmon) for the main course, portion sizes were about right with quality ingredients, the better half had the beef brisket also excellent. We had an 6.45pm reservation and the only downside to the place is the parking took us 20mins to find a spot in the surrounding neighborhood, no valet parking.Special Features:
- Yum!YUMMYDined on 8/22/2014Went here for Restaurant Week and enjoyed every last bite. Ambiance was fantastic. This would be a perfect date place- very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food well thought outHealthFoodieDined on 8/20/2014We've had a whole slew of gourmet restaurants opened up lately that have a Southern flare. I don't like Southern food, well prepared or not. It was refreshing that there were offerings that weren't all about shellfish, pork, grits and fried things. Glad they had some low carb, healthy fare. I hope restaurants of this caliber will eventually get it that healthy eaters like a 6 oz. piece of well prepared, quality protein and lots of fresh vegetables. Glad they accommodated this very popular way of eating during the pre fixe Nashville Originals week. We loved the food and atmosphere and will definitely return. Hopefully, the new chef who has yet to change the menu will hearken to this review.Special Features:
- Great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014I was really impressed with the creative drink menu. Dinner was good but the Nutella bread pudding was the highlight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good but the seating...TheNackDined on 8/15/2014Much to like about this hot restaurant. Signature drinks. Absolutely delicious entrées. The severe distraction was - as is the case in so many restaurants - the seating when you're a party of 2. While there were plenty of 4-top tables and booths available, we were a party of 2, and the hostess first showed us to the worst table in the house: A 2-top at the intersection of two very busy aisles and near the bar. Very noisy. Lots of foot traffic. NOT romantic AT ALL. Indeed, there just shouldn't be a table there. Before being seated we asked for something more out of the way. She showed us to another 2-top - still on a major "highway" and right near the bar. Again, not romantic - yet there wee plenty of 4-tops available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014We shared a bunch of appetizers instead of getting any entrees and everything was great. Mezze plate, cauliflower mash., smoked wings, hot chicken. Best Negroni I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Almost a 5 Star/Avoid the Bar!SteveDined on 8/12/2014Go to HHBR for the food. Unfortunately, the rest didn't quite live up to the menu. Nibbles, apps and main courses with the craft cocktails were 4-5 stars. While we had a reservation the table was not the best. Essentially a highboy w/wooden chairs that surrounded the bar. If comfort is important get a table off the bar floor. Our service for dinner was 4 star but was marred by a bad experience at the bar for a night cap. The bartender/mixologist working the front of the bar couldn't say thank you/acted like he didn't want us to be there despite there only being five of us at the bar and that we had just eaten dinner. While it may be true that one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch it did mar our evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EastSideEatsDined on 8/8/2014The Holland House Bar and Refuge never fails to impress! The atmosphere is perfect and the service and food is even better! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful and the food left us wanting more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real TreatGiveitatryDined on 8/8/2014Been meaning to visit Holland House, just never got around to it - but, was there for a friends birthday party recently. Returned the next night for dinner and was treated to one of the best meals I have had in some time. I tend to eat out for most meals and I am always looking for new interesting places. Holland House could easily become one of my favorite places to eat - though the menu is rather limited, it contains enough variety to remain interesting. My dining partner and I tried several selections and the only disappointment was the Cabbage + Brussels salad (dressing was a little overpowering). The Charcuterie was especially delightful on this night. The brisket was outstanding and the chocolate bead pudding incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real East Nashville GemFoodvoyageDined on 8/8/2014The Holland house really impressed us. I've been on a classic New Orleans cocktail kick lately so I was very pleased when I opened the cocktail list in the menu to see three of the classics on the standard menu: Vieux Carre, sazerac, and French 75. With each cocktail on the menu they offer three variations so that you can get it with your favorite bourbon or bitters or what not... Not only were the drinks outstanding, but the food was out of this world fresh, mostly local and very good! I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseannieDined on 8/7/2014We read about it in a book on Nashville and tried it on our visit there. It was by far, our favorite dining experience. They have a wonderful bar, unusual drinks and very good food made with fresh and local ingredients. Just as we got there, a rainstorm hit the city. But, that didn't stop people from coming - getting soaked on the way in. It is a very lively restaurant with great atmosphere.Special Features:
- TreblehornsDined on 8/2/2014Craw fish chowder was the best soup I have ever had. Drinks to the table were slow and it was warm inside.Special Features:
- Hope you aren't in a hurryHoyaDinerDined on 8/2/2014Food and drinks here were great. However, I had two main complaints. First, the restaurant ran out of many things, which was surprising since we were eating at 7 pm on a Saturday. By the time we sat, they were already sold out of one entree. When I requested a second of the cocktail that I ordered before dinner, I was told that I couldn't get another because they had run out of one of the ingredients. Later, they also ran out of one of the three beers that they have on tap. My second complaint was that service was SLOW. It took our party of 4 three hours to eat, despite only getting drinks, apps and entrees (no dessert). The second round of cocktails took 15-20 minutes to arrive at the table. Drinks sat empty while eating entrees.Special Features:
- Great spotDaveVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great place for a date; vibrant atmosphere, nice people, great cocktails, food & very reasonably priced beer. Will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Great as always.NicNacDined on 7/26/2014It was warm in there, but we moved to the James Room and that was much more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always fantasticpinkpollyDined on 7/26/2014We have been to this restaurant numerous times and it never fails with the quality of the cocktails, wine list and food menu. The only thing about the restaurant was that it was very hot inside, so it would have been better if it was a little cooler. Other than that well worth the trip for dinner and cocktails.Special Features:
- A little roughAnwiechDined on 7/25/2014Little disappointed in our experience. Whole meal took 2 hours with a 9pm reservation and we only ordered one course and dessert. It didn't seem that busy for such wait times. Service was really slow. Took a long time to get drinks (mostly wine), entrees and dessert without very many check-ins between. Food was good but the service put a damper on our evening.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014I've always heard the drinks were good here and was not disappointed. It's a little overwhelming to decide but our waiter was quite helpful and did not rush us. Small menu which is fine but nothing was calling to me except one of the specials which they were out of. The food was decent but we were not wowed. Except by the hot chicken nibbler...could have eaten all night!! Great spices, not too hot and super crunchy. Great atmosphere loved the bar, friendly wait-staff and the laid back vibe. Would definitely come back for drinks and munchies againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must see!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014One of the coolest places ever! Amazing coctails, beautiful menu, eclectic style!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful... as alwaysk32trvlDined on 7/22/2014I've been to Holland House a few times and have always enjoyed it. They always have diverse choices on the menu - yummy too. And the drinks are simply fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.