627 Genesee St.
Delafield, WI 53018Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lahispania.com/
- Phone: 2623379058x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday Brunch 9:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Hispania
Hispania brings a new twist to Mexican dining — introducing the culture of Mexico, Chiapas, and Oaxaca to Delafield. We will feature beautifully-plated, never-before-seen entrees introducing different dishes from Latin AmericaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hispania reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (10)romantic (8)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Food and Great AtmosphereMaxPaxDined on 9/12/2014As first time visitors, we were very happy with the menu selection, taste of food, atmosphere, and service. The pork in a spicy pineapple-quince sauce was outstanding. The guitar players added great background music. Everyone was so friendly! We'll be back to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SangriaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Loved that Sangria was available by the pitcher. Many fine selections for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday visitBJI0702Dined on 8/30/2014The food was well prepared, service good and wine list unique. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem in delafieldHappydinerDined on 8/16/2014Great food, Spanish guitar, and wonderful wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great margaritas!margaretwDined on 8/8/2014Hispania was somewhat of a disappointment, except for the margaritas which were smooth and delicious. The steak tacos were tough and bland. Nothing on the plate but corn tortillas and steak with a sprinkle of cilantro. The meat was cooked past my request of medium. A side of cilantro, onions and two salsas accompanied the dish. My husband's choice of chicken with mole was so-so. Very heavy on the mole with a small portion of chicken. Nice side of veggies tho! Wish my taco plate would have had that.
- Great Find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014First time at HispaniA and it won't be the last. Our party of six ordered six different dishes and each was declared excellent. Each entree had one or two items that were unexpected pleasures-the spicy potatoes, the onion and blue cheese topping on the steak, crisp vegetables, wonderful flavors. We all agreed there were at least three entrees vying for our attention and a return visit was the only way to solve the problem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Hispania reviews archive.
- HispaniaMuttBunkeyDined on 4/19/2014Passed by the place a lot and finally stopped in. Selections involve some traditional Mexican offerings and Mexican fusion. The restaurant is a bit upscale compared to traditional Mexican fare. Service staff were attentive without being obtrusive. I tried the fusion menu and for someone my size, it wasn't a filling amount of food. My impression was my dinner qualified as "tapas". The mararita was rather tasty, and it was blended. The ice chunks were a bit too large for my liking, as most blended margaritas are like slush. My wife is into this type of food and servings and liked it more than I did. I'm a guy......I judge a restaurant by amount of food and how quickly that can be provided to me. But, it was worth the trip.Special Features:
- Place was empty!phfoodieDined on 4/18/2014Reviewers said the margaritas were excellent. I wouldn't go that far. If you like a small glass, lots of ice, and a few swallows maybe. We were there at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night and only 3 tables were filled. Tableside guac was so-so. There person making it was quiet and not engaging. Waiter was getting annoying as he kept trying to grab our chips and guacamole off the table when we were clearly not done eating it and at one time I had to stop him from grabbing my dinner plate. It's laughable that they have free valet service and NO cars in the parking lot. White tablecloths. . they are trying to be fine dining, but ended up being annoying and uncomfortable. I will not go back.
- Delicious!GinnyDined on 4/14/2014Hispania is definitely improving from when they first opened. The food is terrific, not the usual Mexican fare but more upscale and creative, though they have added a few more traditional favorites to meet expectations of what a Mexican restaurant should be (table side guacamole etc). Seems the prices have come down to earth as well. Very friendly service. I'm a mole snob and theirs was fantastic, completely home-made, spicy and not sweet. The dessert selections were quite creative as well, and the portions appropriate (I hate when dessert is bigger than the entree!) I had the dark chocolate almond tart, which was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary FindBert2512Dined on 4/14/2014We were looking for something special for our 41st anniversary and Hispania turn out to be the perfect place. We truely enjoyed the romantic atmosphere. The wait staff was very attentive but not overly. We found the menu a bit of a surprise. Aside from the traditional Mexica menu ther was also a very nice fusion menu. I chose the Atlantic Tuna (excellent) and my wife had the plank steak which she enjoyed. Portions were appropriate and the price was well in line. I have already suggested Hispania to friends and plan to return soon for the outdoor dinng.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try place for lunchmomof3Dined on 3/28/2014Went here for lunch with my two young daughters and a girlfriend and her daughter. We were greeted by the most pleasant staff and escorted to a colorfully decorated table. I was promptly asked if I would like something to drink for myself and my girls as we waited for our other table mates. The wait staff was courteous and attentive. The food was served hot and in a timely manner. I had the black bean and chicken burritos. They were delicious, tasty, with just the right amount of spice. Then out came the dessert tray. If we were still hungry enough from all the fabulous food, we would have ordered one of everything. That being said, we ordered three of them. The Key Lime pie was so crisp and light. Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant in DelafieldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014We drive by Hispania every day and have been meaning to try it since it opened. We're glad we finally got a chance. The food was wonderful and fresh - the avocados on my house salad were perfectly ripe and the chipotle dressing was delicious. Both of our entrees were very good and the tres leches cake and lime tart were a great way to end the meal. I'm not sure I understand the need for valet parking, though. Seems to be the thing at all the Delafield restaurants now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere and decor wereponygirlDined on 2/28/2014The atmosphere and decor were lovely. The service was good. Our waiter was helpful and attentive. My dinner was good but my friend's dinner was below average. It was mostly taco shell with very little chicken meat. The margaritas were overpriced. $9 is way too much for a drink. I may go back but my friend says he won't.
- Don't drive by.wstphlDined on 2/21/2014Although this looks like any other Mexican restaurant in a strip mall, it certainly isn't. You'll enter a very clean, modern space and be greeted immediately. On the evening we were there a guitar player was softly playing in the background. The menu is one page with a few of the mexican entrees you'd expect but also many more interesting items. It was nice to see the owner(s) checking every table and keeping a close eye on the waitstaff. Our table service was flawless. Oh and as others have said the food was very good, nothing over the top but very good. We will be back.Special Features:
- Mixed BagkrinkDined on 2/14/2014Appetizers were great. Pork tenderloin over noodles had little flavor. Service was poor. Classical guitar was very nice touch.
- New Local Neighborhood FavoriteJTHBVIPDined on 2/12/2014This upscale modern Mexican restaurant is a refreshing change to what the area has to offer. The table side guacamole is a great starter offering up complex flavors and textures. Authentic tortilla soup is a must, you even get to add the ingredients yourself (avocado/Oaxacan cheese/chili flakes/tortilla strips). Chicken mole has more of an ancho/arrboro chili garlic flavor and was a nice lighter alternative to the often chocolate richness found in moles. For dessert skip the tres leeches and opt for the Key Lime tart or the flan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican Fusion ExperienceJsmith924Dined on 2/4/2014We went to Hispania for my wife's birthday dinner. The menu is split between traditional authentic Mexican dishes and a Mexican 'fusion' selection as well, which blends the spices and cooking methods of Mexico with some international dishes. Both styles of food were spectacular. The ambience is cozy and friendly. Restaurant staff was extremely personable and accomodated our special requests easily. The pace of service is relaxed, so alot sufficient time to enjoy every minute! I highly recommend the table-side guacamole for appetizer, and make sure you save room for some of the amazing Mexican desserts along with a delicious cup of strong, flavorful coffee. Highly recommend, it was a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and drink.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Excellent food and drink. I made the reservation knowing my boyfriend did not like Mexican, but also knew this was not A traditional "Americanized" Mexican restaurant He absolutely loved it! He had the duck and I had the tilapia and both were excellent Wait staff was quite visible and the owner stopped by our table several times Tablwside guac was excellent I wouldn't hesitate tobrecommen and look forwards to going there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerLindaFDined on 1/25/2014We met two adult daughters in Delafield and picked Hispania from the reviews on Open Table. We were very pleased with the choice. The food was great and the service matched. The restaurant is in a cute strip mall that would be very fun to shop when the stores are open. The menu choices are not the "burrito as big as your head" variety but more sophisticated choices.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. We had a delightful evening. I highly recommend Hispania.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome first impressionjspostlesVIPDined on 1/9/2014First time at this restaurant...and was not disappointed! Service, food, wine, and atmosphere all covered here. Will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014We had a great first experience at Hispania. The food (crab cakes) were delicious as were the flank steak tacos. The margaritas are the best I've ever had. My husband tried a "virgin" margarita...not so good. The service was good as well. There was live guitar music the night we dined there. Just the right volume...nice background music. I would definitely return to this fine dining establishment!Special Features:
- ExcellentRogerKDined on 12/29/2013Overall an excellent experience - highly recommend. Lake Country really needed another nice place to eat - this place is uniquely good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came recommended to me byLucyDined on 12/28/2013Came recommended to me by a friend who said they have a great classical guitarist. My friend was right! Great music and the food was exceptional - excellent-sized proportions, tasty, and well presented. An all-around wonderful dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013We dined at Hispania last night and it was wonderful! It is a beautiful, upscale restaurant like you would find in Mexico City or Chicago. We ordered the table side guacamole and it was the most perfect and delicious guacamole we have ever had (and I lived in Mexico for three years, dine a nicer Mexican restaurants in the US and make guacamole at home). The service was excellent as well, very attentive. The cesar salad was really delicious, as well as the complimentary appetizer. The cocktails were great, we tried a Brazilian one because it was Brazilian night. The pastel de tres leches dessert was also the best I have ever had. We are planning on going back for their Argentinean night and for their Mon. night Spanish tapas.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceEatingOutDined on 12/24/2013Bar service was excellent and the bartender very engaging. The crab cakes were outstanding but a caution to diners if the waitstaff asks if you would like to try what you thought was a sample and it later shows up on your bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it, except tables are crampedlocalsDined on 12/13/2013Great restaurant for grownups, but kids would ruin the ambience. We had the table-side salsa, crabcakes and another appetizer, the Duck entree and the special of the night (ribeye), the signature dessert, the chocolate dessert, and the dessert with the walnut cookie topped with creme frache and strawberries. From the drink menu, we had awesome mohitos and french martini. The atmosphere is intimate with candles, live music, and small tables. The small tables are our only complaint of the evening. The broken salsa was the best salsa we have ever had. The food was all fantastic except I was expecting more flavor from the bbq duck. My husband is rather harsh in his steak standards, but said his ribeye was 5star. I hope this place catches on!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Lake Country.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2013Best restaurant in Lake Country. Fresh, healthy ingredients prepared with amazing skill. Best margaritas ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time-I'll Go BackYouthinkofanameDined on 12/6/2013They were very accommodating for special dietary needs. The food was very good and the owner was very friendly and helpful. Don't forget their nice selection of desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet MexicanMsGadgetDined on 11/27/2013From the best margarita ever, to the excellent Fresh fish and fusion entrees to the irresistible Desserts, Hispania won us over. Everything except The avocado salsa was a 5 star winner and 3 servers Attentively took care of our every need! We can't Wait to go back!!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceAntonioDined on 11/1/2013We had heard of Hispania opening from a friend, and decided to give it a try. Outstanding entrees and desserts. Great time. Music beautiful. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - but a bit priceyschaferDined on 10/29/2013It was very quiet for a Tuesday night..only 3 other tables filled. Service was excellent- food was wonderful. Would recommend the table side made guacamole and the tortilla soup.... Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but PriceylakecountrydinerDined on 10/16/2013This was our first visit to Hispania & we found the overall experience to be fairly good. The food was tasty but very expensive & not quite on par in our opinion with other restaurants offering better ambiance & food at similar prices (think: Andrews, Zin). The salmon was rather bland and overall the portions are small but more than enough food, especially if you do an appetizer and salad or soup. The soups were fantastic and very flavorful as was the appetizer we ordered. Overall the dinner entrees were less impressive and not quite worth their price. The menu is extensive enough, offering a few meat, fish and vegetarian options. The service was fair, our waitress seemed nervous and another employee (the host?) was almost intrusive.Special Features:
- Awkward Service, High PricesIoneTaylorVIPDined on 9/28/2013First a somber woman offered guacamole while my husband was getting his glasses from the car. I asked her to wait till he got back. She stood there while I looked to see how much we'd get nicked for tableside guac, but I couldn't find it on menu. After the guac was served, the amuse bouche arrived with no explanation. Then the server stopped by with water. The service order was backwards. We were squished between two tables with couples talking in whispers in an attempt not to be overheard in the quiet restaurant. Wall art was nice but rest of decor was like a cheesy strip mall taco joint-it looked dated. Food portions were very small for the price. The guacamole was a staggering $15. Desserts were housemade and delicious.
- Excellent savory mealDateNightDined on 9/20/2013Hispania is new to Delafield, but I sure hope they stick around. The food was savory, delicious, and arrived very quickly. The service was outstanding - unobtrusive but there right when you needed them. The cocktails and wine were superb as well. This restaurant will be filling up quickly on date nights as the word gets out, so get in now while the reservation spots are still open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticSarahDined on 9/12/2013Fantastic service, creative food, and a great find. Manager (owner?) helped us select tequelias. Don't go if you expect cheesy, cheaply made Mexican fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013Very enjoyable dining experience. Not your typical Mexian joint! Be prepared for a very upscale rendering of south of the boarder foods. Music a bit loud for my older ears but other than this the meal was flawless. Best tuna I have had in a long time with tbe perfecf mango salsa. KarenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Latin GempianogirlDined on 8/29/2013My friend and I went to La Hispania after seeing an advertisement in the weekly neighborhood paper. The storefront blends in with the adjacent businesses so it was a little difficult to find. It was refreshing to see linen tablecloths on the inside tables and the decor was tasteful but classy. We ate outdoors, where there is a row of tables parallel to the restaurant wall/windows. Our waiter was very attentive. The wine list was not extensive but included an ample choice of the popular whites and reds. The food was attractively presented and delicious! It appeared to us that the flour tortillas included with our mini tacos and empanadas were homemade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service, Over-priced FoodDelafieldDudeDined on 8/24/2013We arrived and wanted to sit outside but had to wait (no problem). We went to the bar and the bartender ignored us until we said something. A table opened up outside, however, it was a tiny table and bench where a group would have drinks before dinner. We asked to move when another table opened. Our waiter forgot about us for at least 45 mins. I went to get the hostess and finally our waiter came back apologizing. We then ordered our meal and it was wrong. So they took it back and then brought out our meal wrong again. At that point we didn't care because it was getting late. Food was bland and WAYYY over-priced. The manager came back apologizing over and over again (which was getting old after the first time). Never going back!
- Real Mexican food!CharmingVIPDined on 8/21/2013This place makes real Mexican food, it's not the melted cheese over rice that everyone else does. Really, go eat like a real Mexican..not what taco bell says Mexican food is...This place is the best Mexican food in Milwaukee!Special Features: