High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437243815x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
376 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (235)fit for foodies (185)romantic (157)great for brunch (109)notable wine list (91)neighborhood gem (69)good for groups (66)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (46)great for lunch (34)scenic view (32)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- DMattVIPDined on 8/30/2014A great meal, from salad to desserts (peach cobbler to die for!). Beyond the good food, the bar area, with its jazz trio playing, is a very adult, very enjoyable way to spend the after dinner evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014High Cotton is now our new favorite in Charleston. The food, atmosphere, and service was wonderful the entire evening. From the time we entered this beautifully decorated restaurant, they made you feel welcomed. Elise our server, who is a native Charlestonian, was wonderful! I had the lamb, my son the sword fish, and my husband the oysters. Everything was so delicious. Thanks so much for a lovely evening. My son, whos 40th Birthday we were celebrating, told me that it was the best meal he had had in 10 Years!!!Special Features:
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Good restarant but didn't like the noise. The soufflé was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz loverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Great music. Food very beautiful presentation and very delicious.Special Features:
- Very happy with the Maverick GroupJamarine73Dined on 8/25/2014I have dined in several of the Maverick Group restaurants and find them all to be tastefully done. The food and service are notable and I appreciate their customer service. The group is also a staple to the local community and they are very supportive of the city, which is important to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, live musicEd10014Dined on 8/24/2014High Cotton serves the best brunch in Charleston. The crab cakes on fried green tomatoes with poached egg and hollandaise is a great tweak on Southern cooking. My companion had the fried oysters, spinach, poached egg which was also great. We each had a brunch drink. The bill was $53. I particularly appreciated that there was live jazz being played in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!!JennemarDined on 8/24/2014We had a wonderful brunch at High Cotton. The pricing was fairly reasonable and the ambiance was great for early afternoon. It was a very welcoming atmosphere with southern charm, of course! The service was wonderful and the food was quite tasty. I would love to go back for dinner next time I'm in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Brunch to RememberJulieALDined on 8/24/2014Our culinary tour of Charleston culminated with Brunch at High Cotton. Talk about ending a fabulous weekend on a high note! The live band in the bar set the tone for a lively, Southern brunch to remember. The staff was very accommodating of our larger party (7) and the server was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Several members of our party got the Crab Cakes Benedict, and we're still talking about this dish! Served over Fried Green Tomatoes, this was southern brunch perfection! We sampled the donut holes while we were waiting for our food, which were also excellent. Overall, everyone loved the food and atmosphere. A Charleston-must!Special Features:
- Jazz brunch on the weekendsAB88BostonDined on 8/24/2014The food was great and the restaurant had a very authentic southern feel. Would recommend asking to sit in the bar area near the jazz band otherwise you can't really hear the music. The crab Benedict and oyster spinach florentine both were deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayLouieDined on 8/23/2014Was a birthday dinner. Very nice how the manager had a birthday card at the table. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Love this placeNCFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I understand from our server that they've changed Chefs since last summer. This is unfortunate (for my wife and I) because his lamb last year was the absolute best I have ever had in my life. We in fact came back just for that lamb but alas, it changed. With that said, the lamb we had still very good as was everything else. High Cotton is still a must visit for us and would easily recommend it to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodDesignGalDined on 8/23/2014The food was pretty good, but there is certainly better places in Charleston to go to. Service is okay. The woman bartender was not friendly at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDining5Dined on 8/22/2014I ordered a chefs special, the seafood platter for $44. The meal was not satisfying as it only had one scallop, half a crab leg, and a very tough spiny lobster tail. Overpriced and I have had better.Special Features:
- OutstandingLindaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at High Cotton. The shrimp and grits were the best I have enjoyed in 40 years in the south! My husband's rack of lamb was perfectly served. The chilled gazpacho soup drizzled with olive oil was so tasty! Jenny C, our server, was delightful. A very special dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very generous and deliciousMimiDined on 8/21/2014I over ordered and could not do justice to my entree. Will know better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HollyDined on 8/18/2014Outstanding meal and service will eat there when in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Cotton - High Expectations MetCPinSCDined on 8/17/2014The food and service made a special birthday celebration amazing. Our server, Michele B, was so warm and professional. She made excellent recommendations and even smoothly up sold my boyfriend (which NEVER happens!) The kitchen sent out smoked salmon deviled eggs that were delicious. Not a drop of the ginger curry clam broth was left in the bowl. My peach salad was perfect and generously portioned. The duck and salmon entrées were the perfect temperature. I don't think we could find something wrong if we tried. We really enjoyed it and hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- Best night ever!!Theqing91Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome food, awesome service!!! Best night!! The atmosphere was so romantic and relaxing, made our night wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and classy!TravellerDined on 8/16/2014We were traveling from Chicago and picked this place while traveling to Charleston through open table. This place did not disappoint! It had elegant decor and reminded me of 'English High Tea'! We were promptly seated and our server was very polite bland courteous. Tons of vegetarian options! Server was helpful as one person in our party was vegan and she came up with options that were not on the menu. Would def revisit and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Maverick Group including High Cotton are some of the best in Charleston. We always enjoy our visits. This was our first brunch and it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Love High CottonluvcharlestonscDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. The noise level is very do-able, not too loud like a lot of restaurants in the area. We thoroughly enjoyed the jazz quartet playing the bar.Special Features:
- Great food!tryinanewplaceDined on 8/15/2014The cheese tray was amazing followed by yummy shrimp and grits. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Celebration!littledebbieDined on 8/13/2014Since High Cotton is our favorite restaurant in Charleston my husband & I wanted to celebrate our 20th anniversary there. Once again the evening was PERFECT, food DELICIOUS & service OUTSTANDING!! Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston FavoriteMPdinnerclubDined on 8/12/2014We lived in Mount Pleasant for five years and this has always been our favorite Charleston fine restaurant. Incredible food, great service, great atmosphere with jazz and on East Bay. Incredible fried oyster appetizer, fresh fish with a great southern flair without being fried, and great bar specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJeffandJoy1981Dined on 8/12/2014Elise our server was very knowledgeable concerning all menu items and delivered with a smile and a very friendly attitude. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Southern GemSouthern4uVIPDined on 8/11/2014I grew up in charleston so I would say I am hard to please and a pretty harsh critic of "new southern cuisine". High Cotton was the highlight of our trip! The fried oysters appetizer was absolutely perfect - crispy, hot, lightly breaded & the sauce Green Goddess was a perfect pairing! The portion was huge! Could not stop eating them though! Moved on to salads - I had the Bibb - very nice & fresh (fried green tomatoes were heaven) - my mom had the peach/ arugula salad & was very impressed. We shared the grouper - well prepared light broth --- finished off with a soufflé which was perfectly light & fluffy! Thumbs up! The service was also amazing! Anticipated out needs but did not hound us & we were allowed to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLPNashvilleDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was great. The service and ambiance was wonderful. My wife and I wanted to hear jazz music as we dined. The music was in the bar area and we couldn't hear the music which was disappointing. Besides that, amazing restaurant that was worth every cent.Special Features:
- no shrimp and gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Very expensive for what you get, which three out of four people in our party thought was mediocre food. The shrimp and grits were absolutely the worst I have ever had (grits were insipid and mushy; the dish had no flavor; shrimp were rubbery)....and this is in Charleston! Leave this one for the tourists who want to overpay for bad food. The waiter even (thankfully) steered us somewhere else for dessert.
- Great AtmosphereCaseyNortonDined on 8/10/2014Brunch at High Cotton was even better than promised. First of all, we were floored by the atmosphere which exemplified Southern charm and hospitality. From the fan blades to the upholstery, it looked just like you would hope a Charleston high-dining restaurant would look. Straight out of the pages of Southern Living. The food was also good. Nothing mind-blowing, but delicious nonetheless. The crab cake Benedict was excellent, and the biscuits and jam were wonderful. My only complaint was the Charleston signature cocktail lacked flavor. I was imagining and Arnold Palmer with a splash of fun, but got a bunch of ice with no real flavor other than something alcoholic. Still, I recommend High Cotton as true taste of local fare.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014we had brunch on a recent Sunday and were seated immediately when we arrived the next day - the wait staff was superb as was the food! Having such a great experience that morning we decided to go back that evening and sit at the bar to enjoy one of their fabulous Espresso Martinis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Orleans jazzlynnDined on 8/9/2014Love Sunday brunch here listening to the live jazz band and sipping an espresso martini. Ben is a great waiter and love the small dining room off the bar for an intimate dining experience. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodJEM999Dined on 8/7/2014Went for the first time on Thurs night for dinner. Our server Andrew was great with recommendations. I had the caprese salad, it was excellent. Friend had the peach n prosciutto salad- she said it was also great. I had the swordfish with corn, sweet potato n asparagus- perfect portion and cooked medium. Friend had the steak with goat cheese n squash casserole n broccoli also a hit! Would certainly go back and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this resturant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014It was our first time to Charleston and this restaurant did not disappoint! The food was delicious! The waiter was attentive to all our needs. High Cotton offers jazz every evening and is right downtown. Great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected better foodFirstTimeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Had the strip steak medium. Was cooked properly but wasn't a very good cut of meat. Service was fine, but food should have been better especially for the price.
- Excellent food!HeatherDined on 8/5/2014Great service, great food, beautiful restaurant. Have someone monitor that bathroom though! It was a little messy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent dining in Charlestonin2foodDined on 8/3/2014Picked this spot because they had live Jazz entertainment. Wow! What a great evening we had. Food excellent. Service was spot on!. Atmosphere was terrific. We wandered over to the bar to catch the last set from the band and have some special coffees. It was a very memorable evening in Charleston. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- And with that, you get jazzLahdeedahDined on 8/3/2014Come to the Sunday Brunch at High Cotton. There's lovely, melodic jazz when the New South Jazzmen play, not to mention the great food -- have you tried the peanut melon salad? -- excellent service, and ability to carry on a conversation at a normal voice level with the sweet, live music in the background. Totally Southern, modern, fresh. Go!Special Features:
- Never AgainCharlestonLoveDined on 8/3/2014The food was okay not spectacular. In a fine dining restaurant you are not supposed to rush your customers. I did not go McDonalds and I don't want to be rushed like I am there. We received our appetizer and before we had even eaten half of the appetizer our entrees came. Our server was not friendly. I will NEVER return to High Cotton ever again.
- CmhaigleDined on 8/1/2014Excellent service and some of the best food I've ever eating. If you are ever in Charleston you need to go to High CottonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improvedprefernottocookVIPDined on 8/1/2014After two consecutive negative experiences (both food and service) several months ago, we resolved to give High Cotton another chance after hearing that issues had been acknowledged and addressed. The rumor of improvements was true and High Cotton has returned to our list of restaurants to recommend to visitors and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.