100 Woodland Pond Drive
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theumstead.com/
- Phone: 9194474000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 6:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Afternoon Tea: Wednesday - Sunday: 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Steven D. Greene
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Carrie Cassidy of The Umstead Hotel at 919.447.4131 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for catering in the Hotel Event Space.
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room for 12 provides the stage for extensive food and wine-paired tasting menus. Executive Chef Steven D. Greene will both indulge and delight you during your dining experience. Reserve this space for lunch, for an evening with friends, colleagues or family.
- Private Party Contact: Tammie Burdick 8887787425
- Entertainment: Our sumptuous surroundings are enhanced by live music every day of the week at The Bar and Lounge of The Umstead Hotel and Spa.
A word from Herons
Noted by Condé Nast Traveler as a "culinary gem," The Umstead Hotel and Spa's signature restaurant Herons features the refined American cooking of Executive Chef Steven D. Greene and Chef de Cuisine John Childers. The extensive 2500-bottle wine selection complements the sophisticated dining experience. Guests will enjoy the elegant setting and exquisite art collection indoors as well as dining on the terrace, with panoramic views of the lake. The Umstead’s Bar is also available to local diners and hotel guests for a more casual experience. Herons, a Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five Diamond Restaurant, serves breakfast and lunch daily, weekend brunch and dinner Monday - Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Herons - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Herons reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (91)romantic (68)fit for foodies (68)notable wine list (56)scenic view (48)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (35)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (8)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The chef's tasting menu with wine pairings was an experience worthy of our anniversary celebrationSpecial Features:
- Always a Treat!!CAABDined on 9/12/2014As always we so enjoyed our lunch at Heron's. Our wait person, Suzanne is attentive and personable. The new menu has provided us with great new choices and we loved everything we selected.Special Features:
- How wonderful food is...OneAndDoneDined on 9/8/2014at Herons! Took my wife to celebrate and we were not disappointed! The food and service is super. My wife said the experience felt like one of those kitchen/food competition shows, where the judges need to be impressed. We were the judges and we were impressed!Special Features:
- LovelySkinnyeatsDined on 9/7/2014This is a really love place to dine. The decor, spacing, and lighting is just perfect. Service and brunch was very good. The huckleberry jam with warm doughnuts were incredibly delightful. Glad to have jewel such as this in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination dining -- go to HeronsDestinationDinerDined on 9/4/2014We will go far for a good meal. Heron's is only 5 hours drive from our home and we are already planning another visit. Only challenge was putting down the amazing wine list to look at the menu. Loved the large selection of half bottles of wine. (One of us likes white, the other red.) The food is in the same league as Alinea and Per Se -- one of the best meals you will ever taste with prep so memorable you won't ever forget it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Herons, is a place of choice for special occasions. My mother and I celebrate our birthdays and mothers day at Herons. We always enjoy our time there. The food is exceptional and the service is a lovely blend of southern hospitality and urban sophistication.Special Features:
- Heron is for special occasionsMotekDined on 9/2/2014This is perhaps our fifth or sixth time at Heron. On past occasions we chose the tasting menu. The new menu offers a type of a la carte menu which offers simpler tasting menus either 4 course or 3 course with or without wine pairings. We chose the 3 course with wine pairings. It was outstanding. The wine pairings were amazing. but service this time was a bit off. Bread was offered late. Normally bread replenishment is automatic. but this time we had to request. This was especially surprising since restaurant was not busy on a Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchBlueys99Dined on 8/30/2014Menu was interesting and concise. Both items ordered were excellent.Special Features:
- AmazingEatoutalotVIPDined on 8/28/2014Amazing all around. Ambiance is elegant. Food was amazing and the Service was impeccable. Had a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hoursglorDined on 8/26/2014It was a very relaxing and wonderful lunch. Spent 3 hours talking to a new friend. This is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Staff Beautiful Viewsglutton2gourmetDined on 8/25/2014Our experience at Herons was notable for the excellent service staff. Not only were they efficient, they were very cheerful. Indeed. they made the eating experience very enjoyable at breakfast and at dinner. Overall the food is excellent and quite beautifully presented with novel ingredients. The servings are appropriately sized. Personally I would like more intense flavors to compliment the elegant presentations. Eating at Herons was a wonderful 2.5 hour experience recently. Lovely wines by the glass available at reasonable prices for the quality. A beautiful dining room in a beautiful hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Umstead Heron's ExperienceGIJoeDined on 8/24/2014Heron's is a great restaurant. I booked the Sunday brunch and it was fabulous. The service was impeccable. The only complaint I have is that I had made the reservation well in advance, but we were seated next to the patio exit. This meant that our meal had to be interrupted several times by the wait staff going in an out the door. That was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great anniversaryWashingtonVIPDined on 8/23/2014My fiancee and I went to Heron's to celebrate the anniversary of our first date. The service was amazing -- just the right mix of formal and down-to-earth. We got a great bottle of Chilean wine from the restaurant's enormous wine list. The food was delicious and the presentation was really cool. It was just an A+ all around. Who knew there was dining this good in Cary, NC? We'll definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Our Anniversary DinnerPoppyDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had a 6 o'clock reservation for dinner. I had requested a side table in a nice location with a view if possible. They seated us by the back window in a perfect location. Our waiter, Scott, was perfect. Just the right combination of knowledge and friendliness and completely versed in the menu and descriptions. We had the 4 course dinner and each was an artistic feast for the eye's. Many of the components were not familiar to us, but that was part of the fun. I have to say my favorite part was the Yuzu dessert. At the end of the meal, Scott brought us a chocolate dessert and placard with Happy Anniversary written in gold. We were very pleased with the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pampered ExperiencenamasteDined on 8/20/2014A friend and I had just come from the Umstead Spa where we had relaxing pedicures. The dining room experience at Herons continued the pampering with perfect service and wonderful lunch fare. The tomato soup was rich without being heavy with a bit of a zing to the fresh flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Evening with FriendsJDB3Dined on 8/18/2014All aspects of our visit were superb. The cuisine is outstanding, the wine list is phenomenal, the service is all one could wish for, and the venue is lovely. It's easy to see why this establishment has earned five diamonds!Special Features:
- Special anniversary dinner!DiningDadDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I dined here on our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. The service was outstanding and our food was also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabuloustravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Nothing better in the RDU area. Third visit to Heron's in the month of August 2014.Special Features:
- Lunch for 2TooManyHobbysVIPDined on 8/15/2014Excellent service but I would expect that at this price level. The quality and value of the food did not match the price level. They sat us at a table for two next to a wall and the restaurant was empty so it wasn't very comfortable for 2 people over 6 foot nor did it have ant special ambience.
- Perfection--always.OnTheTown2014Dined on 8/13/2014I always consider myself very fortunate to dine at Herons, whether for dinner, lunch, breakfast or brunch. Herons is a treat for the senses and should be visited often to reward the efforts of not only the many people who create the perfect experience of dining there, but also one's self!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuberDined on 8/12/2014Excellent service, food and atmosphere. A very special night made possible by a very professional staff.Special Features:
- Style Over SubstanceFairandTrueDined on 8/10/2014I can only say that I have been extremely spoilt with fine dining in the UK (I am a UK resident). I searched this place out on the Forbes list when I came to town as I was looking for a special place for lunch. Having read about the Umstead and its owner etc... I was excited to be going. My reservation was not there, but I was accommodated. Lunch was not available on the Sunday, just a limited Brunch menu. No wine list given - just a selcetion of typical brunch cocktails. We asked what was in the mimosa and they didnt know. Finally the bill was given without us asking for it and we were actually considering a desert and coffee. The food was good, did not wow though and I was expecting to be blown away and I left a little sad.Special Features:
- Such a special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014This is the place to dine if you want a relaxing fabulous dinner. If you are in a hurry you are better off eating at the bar. My husband and I both ordered the Chef's Tasting and were not disappointed in the least. The food was wonderful and the presentation was something like I have never seen. Chilled corn soup in a white chocolate egg? Unbelievable!! The service was the best. We had a few different servers who were always there but not to the point of being intrusive. We will definitely back.Special Features:
- Fabulous72foodsnobDined on 8/9/2014Herons is not only memorable for extraordinary food, but for the dining experience. There is nothing comparable in this area in my opinion.Special Features:
- Great Find in a Hotel RestauranttravelerVIPDined on 8/9/2014The Heron Restaurant deserves every one of the five stars that I have rewarded them with as many other patrons have done the same. Service was in the top 5% of all of the restaurants I gave rated. Try it - you will be very pleased that you have dined at a Herons.Special Features:
- So close, yet so far.JHG8Dined on 8/8/2014The service was quite formal. Not friendly, but efficient. the wine steward was very knowledgeable. Each course was served with it own utensils and by its own server. The appetizers were incredible. I was disappointed in the rib-eye as my wife was in the trout. The cheese tray was lovely. As it was my birthday, they sent a lovely carved piece of fresh chocolate, a very caring touch. The wine was of my choosing, of good provenance and well served. A lovely dining experience, slightly marred by the less than perfect entrees. At $400 for two, my expectations were almost, but not quite met. The art throughout the room was very interesting and the outdoor patio was interesting. The room was a bit warm, but this is NC.Special Features:
- UnparalleledEricDined on 8/7/2014This trip to Herons was a foodie splurge. It was on our dining bucket list and did not disappoint. The presentation was impeccable and the food incredible. I had the best mint julep of my life (and I have had many). The wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and went out of their way to insure our meal was perfect. The courses were works of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice BrunchSeasaDined on 8/3/2014I've been to Herons for dinner and for lunch and both were exceptional. Brunch was very good but I didn't think it was as good as the lunches or dinners I've had there. My husband had shrimp and grits and it was excellent. I had blue crab benedict and it was good but nothing exceptional. The ambience is definitely better in the evening. I am possibly being too harsh by saying I wasn't all that enamored with kids at brunch hurrying through the dining room since it was my husband's birthday brunch, but after all it is a hotel.Special Features:
- Memorable brunchJeannieDined on 8/3/2014I don't know which was better--the view from the outside deck or the food, but our Heron's experience was the best! The shrimp and grits were decadent and the crab Benedict was better than perfect. Everything, including the service, was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection.MikeDined on 8/2/2014Amuse Bouche, corn custard soup, seared scallops, tomato melon soup, smoked trout, succulent halibut, local cheeses, a great wine and beautiful ports and sherries, topped off with Robert Starling's music in the lounge. A perfect evening in every way. The Triangle's best restaurant.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014The wait staff were admirable. They anticipated whatever I wanted. I tasted my husband's appetizer and they were right there with another fork for me, elegantly presented on a napkin. They reseated me when I came back from the restroom. They addressed me by my name when I beckoned them to my table. When asked how specific dishes were prepared, they were very well informed. The presentation of each dish was beautiful.Special Features:
- Birthday Luncheon2malteseDined on 8/1/2014Very delightful experience in relaxed atmosphere. The hotel has works of art to view and the scenery from the restaurant was beautiful. The staff are accommodating and professional and were able to answer questions about the menu and the plant that was on the table! The food was very good and they have several gluten free options available.Special Features:
- LunchglorDined on 7/30/2014Had an enjoyable lunch with a friend. I enjoyed my blue crab very much. The breads that were served were very good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow downOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This was the best meal I have ever had! It wasn't just a meal, it was an experience!! Everything was truly amazing-both in taste and presentation. I found myself enthusiastically waiting for the next course to be brought. The wine pairings exceeded my expectations as well. My only regret . . . I needed to slow down in my enjoyment to appreciate and savor more every bite and every moment. Thank you so much!!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014My friend and I met for lunch and it was excellent. Beautiful atmosphere, superb service, and great food. I will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing and ExpensiveRossMcKVIPDined on 7/21/2014Given the price, Herons needs to be a very memorable meal. The good news - they absolutely deliver. We went for a birthday (they didn't know), and every aspect of the meal was as it should be. The service: friendly, knowledgeable about the menu, helpful, precise, professional. Had nice conversations about both the food and the wine. Wine list: fantastic. Lots of by the glass and 1/2 bottle options. Food: Delightfully good. I'll remember the corn custard with buttermilk foam and truffle sauce for years. I can still taste and savor it. The seared scallop my wife had was similarly superb. The Halibut main course is excellent, and the dark chocolate dessert paired with Dandelion Vineyards PX 30 - wow. Very highly recommended & special.Special Features:
- dinnerjustin313Dined on 7/21/2014I took my wife to herons for dinner and the service and food were fantastic. Best I've had in the triangle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!CariDined on 7/18/2014Everything was absolutely superb! The food was absolutely scrumptious. The service was exceptional. The surroundings are so serene. We walked away in such a peaceful and "full" of so many good things. I highly recommend Heron's!Special Features:
- 2BeachLoversDined on 7/17/2014Best Dining experience I have ever had ! My wife and I had dinner there to celebrate our anniversary and it was a great time ...... we added another great memory to our lives together at Heron's. The food was excellent and the service beyond compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not dissapointNewtoCHVIPDined on 7/17/2014In a return trip to the Ulmstead, and another evening spent at Heron's, we could not be happier with the experience. Service, food and ambience were top notch, and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.