16 N 17th Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://havana59.net/
- Phone: 8047802822x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 5:00 until 10:00 pm
Thursday 5:00 - 10:00 pm Late night menu until midnight
Friday & Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm Late night menu until midnight
For your pleasure, the bar opens at 4:30 pm daily and stays open after the kitchen closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Caribbean, American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Rubey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cigar Room, Dancing, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout
- Catering: In-house catering for events from 20 to 300 guests.
- Entertainment: Salsa dancing--Complimentary lesson usually at 8:00 pm and DJ dancing from 9:00 pm until midnight. Thursday's ONLY!
- Special Events: New Year's Eve dinner/dance
Scotch & cigar tastings/pairings
Cigar lounge with humidor
A word from Havana 59
We take you back to the glorious days of the 1950's in Havana that were spent basking in the sunshine alongside the ocean, pools of posh resorts, and on the grounds of the Havana Yacht Club. Enjoy our fresh made Mojitos or one of our specialty cocktails paired with one of our delicious entrees using imported fresh fish from New Zealand, Hawaii and Antarctica, aged Angus Beef, Ashley Farms chicken and farm fresh local vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Havana 59 - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Havana 59 reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (11)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (10)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Wonderful ExperienceZaraVIPDined on 8/30/2014Enjoy the food and excellent service. We look forward to dining here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceAABE01Dined on 8/21/2014The service was great. Our party gathered outside in one of their 3rd floor rooms. It was really nice, but just a little hot. A couple of fans would have been perfect. The appetizers were outstanding and the server was 1st class. We definitely plan on going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner section service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Unfortunately, the slow and absent service sticks out most as a memory. Food was flavorful and prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transported to another place & timeFoodrichVIPDined on 8/15/2014Caribbean food incorporating fruits, spices, and vegetables along with the protein. Festive décor reminiscent of Old Havana. Parking is challenging as with other restaurants in this neighborhood. Extensive mojito listing but beer is only bottled.Special Features:
- Ambiance & Mojitos OnlyJuanitaDined on 8/8/2014Living in NYC Metro area this was an unexpected find. I had late night reservations so had the short menu only. Mojitos were good but not traditional. No sugar at the bottom they were shaken. The Cuban nachos were no good. It was like TGI Fridays. The plantains with the nachos were AWESOME. They should just serve the Plantain chips with salsa! My fish tacos were good but my dates sliders were a bust. They mix beef and chorizo into a patty. He thought he would get a few chorizos and 1 beef. Not good. Music was on point salsa and merengue but no bachata. They closed the rooftop at 11pm. Who does that?!!! If the restaurant can offer a traditional Cuban sandwich and stop Americanizing the menu this place might be Richmond's Restaurant Gold.Special Features:
- Authentic Cuba in RichmondKemiDined on 8/8/2014Havana 59 was quite a surprise for us! As New Yorkers and semi food snobs, I wasn't sure if I would find a top notch restaurant here. However this place didn't disappoint! Cuban nachos were awesome. Traditional mojito drinks were amazing. The maduros or plantains were sweet and yummy. Rooftop deck was cool as well. Brought my kids with me and they devoured the steak. They have a separate bar side area that seemed like more adult oriented which is good for couples and groups to hang. Service by John was attentive and friendly. And the decor was authentic all the way - as I have been to Havana myself. Made me feel like I was right outside the EL Malecon dining in the outdoor air!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerWolfpackerDined on 8/4/2014We had a birthday dinner for my daughters 21st birthday with Havana '59 being her choice. She had never been there but was very pleased with the food and service. I had not been there in several years, but was came away happy with all aspect of our experience. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. The food was excellent from the appetizers to the main course. Overall could not have picked a better spot for her big day.Special Features:
- Great Food butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Great food but not great for special occasions. It was our 3rd Anniversery and they didn't take time to say congratsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Food and Service!Aly08Dined on 7/12/2014Havana 59 is a great spot for an evening out with friends or a date. They have excellent drinks and delicious appetizers, entrees, and desserts. The restaurant has a delightful ambience that takes you to the tropics. The service is impeccable and top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Cuban foodReasonableexpectationVIPDined on 7/5/2014Reminded me of Miami. Great food, exceptional service, awesome atmosphere. Don't miss this place. Accommodated 11 of us. Very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceWildJohnBillDined on 6/21/2014We had reservations for 5:30 PM and I thought it was a little early, but by 6:00-6:30 the place was packed. Ordered the taste of Havana at the top of the menue and it was FANTASTIC! It was a medley of Cuban dishes and there wasn't one thing on the plate that I couldn't or wouldn't eat. The serving size was large and the level of "heat" was very low. I will not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone and am looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food service atmosphere incredibleDee007Dined on 6/14/2014We have gone to Havana 59 three times so far. Love the place, it's one of the few places you can still smoke a cigar in, they have so many quiet smoke eaters you don't even notice the smoke. The price is great for the incredible food. They have cute touches like decks of cards on the tables, and something cool when they give you the bill. I'm not telling so go find out for yourself. Lol. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Salsa DancingSoTxBellDined on 6/12/2014Enjoyed great evening celebrating a family event. Salsa dancing lessons were fun even for those of us who aren't great dancers. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun timejlandisDined on 5/23/2014Definitely would recommend. We had dinner here for a Bachelorette weekend. Good way to start the party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere!StevendfDined on 5/12/2014Loved sitting outside on a beautiful night! Prompt, attentive service, with great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014The food was very good--the Cuban Nachos and Taste of Habana platter were especially delicious. However, the hostess was extremely rude: upon arriving for our 6:30 reservation, she greeted us by saying our table was booked for another party at 8 o'clock and that we'd have to leave before then. We were a bit off-put by her attitude, and she continued to treat customers rudely over the next hour, angering several people. Our waiter similarly rushed us through dinner, asking multiple times if we were ready to order within the first 15 minutes after being seated. He brought out the dessert menu while we were still finishing our entrees. The interior felt like a generic chain restaurant. We won't be back.
- The following 207 reviews are from the Havana 59 reviews archive.
- A Taste of Havana in RichmondOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014The combination of food and ambiance is indescribably wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CindyDined on 4/26/2014Havana 59 provides a wonderful dining experience especially when the front windows are open to enjoy the evening air!Special Features:
- Great SpotKCHINESDined on 4/25/2014Stopped in before a night out on the town... Great food and drinks... I ordered nachos and pork morsel... Both was delicious and ordered a passion fruit mojitio which was also a great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer in the City!IslandGirlDined on 4/12/2014Great food, excellent service, fabulous ambiance, all around fun place to be. With or without cigars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationfoodforthesoulDined on 4/10/2014My son requested Havana 59 for his birthday celebration. We all loved the energy of the place. Reception was inviting. Server was on point. I had the most traditional Cuban meal(pork, beef,black beans, rice, and plantain). The food was good. The Mango Margarita and the mango bread pudding was enough for a return visit. Might even go upstairs for salsa lessons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!whenisthenextmealDined on 4/8/2014I loved the food, the atmosphere, the feeling of being in a place other than Richmond. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try eating tapas styleScarlettDined on 4/4/2014Our group of four needed to eat quickly in order to get to a show on time. We ordered lots of appetizers to share. The waiter was friendly and attentive and got us in and out on a Friday night fast! We enjoyed the happy hour special on the mojitos and the nachos were a favorite. My friend wished there was more goat cheese in the empanadas but I loved them as is. Plus the open air atmosphere is perfect on a beautiful spring night. Parking is the only challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go on a slow night it was excellentFatRat250VIPDined on 4/1/2014Fish dish was phenomenal. Cuban style eggrolls to start working very good. Service wasn't great my guess is on a busier night it may not be tolerableI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReservationCajualDined on 3/29/2014They probably shouldn't have a 11pm Dinner Reservation time slot on open table when you can't get dinner at that time.Special Features:
- Overall a good experience.MarkDined on 3/22/2014Parking was an issue. I almost bailed on this eatery as a result. Ended up having to park in a pay lot. Everything was good but for the cigarette smoke floating over my shoulder causing a low grade headache and irritated eyes. I smoke cigars but cigarette smoke is different. It's an irritant. We weren't sitting in the bar side but in the first level dining area. The weather allowed the large door to be opened which was nice. Anthony was our server and really knew the menu items an recommended some good eats and drinks. Into the meal, conversation revealed Anthony was only on day two of his employment at Havana 59. Impressive ! This was our first visit to Havana's. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban food and cigarsRicardoDined on 3/19/2014Great time at Havana 59 this week. Terrific food and AJ gave us super service. Ate in the smoking side so we could enjoy a Cuban cigar after. Not smokey at all with ventilation system that cleared it out well. Good selection of brown liquors from the bar. Will be back next time I am in Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8t food& diningGr8tfoodDined on 3/13/2014Had the Tuna- done perfectly! The nachos with plantain chips fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experience! FunAnyaDined on 3/8/2014wonderful experience! Fun atmosphere, great service, and amazing food! Would definitely recommend a dish called " a taste of Havana" and their salmon, prepared to perfection, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!! :-)Bonitas1Dined on 3/8/2014The best thing about this restaurant is their staff and extremely fast food service! The food was delicious! I had the empanadas for my appetizer and Taste of Habana for my entree...and the food left your pallet very satisfied!! :-) i've only been there once and I'm definitely going back!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Havana 59SkiansurfDined on 2/28/2014We sat on the smoking side of the restaurant which has an awesome atmosphere. We really enjoyed being able to smoke some cigars with our previous dinner drinks. They did a good job accommodating our large group. The food was very good and the servers were very friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidMrNEWZVIPDined on 2/26/2014Solid food, atmosphere. Server was particularly solid and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy Hour MustJessDined on 2/26/2014The Happy Hour specials are what really make Havana 59 a find. The food is good - though perhaps not quite as good as the prices would suggest - but it's the $4 classic mojitos and appetizer selections that really make this a great spot for a get together with friends or an after-work wind down. In addition, ALL of the wait staff was friendly and attentive. They were all eager to help and our server was happy to offer suggestions whenever we had trouble deciding.Special Features:
- Exellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014I came here to celebrate my birthday and between the service and food I can't pick which one was better! Everything was delicious and worth every penny to spend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eveningpackratDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed immediate seating with our reservation. Our entire meal was great. Service and timing for our visit were nearly perfect. This was an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and Wonderful ServiceTomInRiverCityDined on 2/22/2014We arrived half an hour earlier than our Saturday evening reservation, but were seated promptly. Our server was Stephanie and she provided terrific service throughout the evening. We had a pork bits appitizer that was very tasty. For the meal, we had grilled salmon and a "Taste of Habana" and both dishes were excellent. We shared a vanilla flan for desert that was delicious. We were able to park just outside the restaurant in the farmers market area, making parking both safe and convenient. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is great! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014The food is great! Service has also been good when we have gone. Love the inside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SurprisePaulDined on 2/22/2014We have been hearing about Havana 59 for years but just kept delaying for whatever reason. The food was great (particularly the apps) and our server could not have been better. We will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off seasonDinerDined on 2/21/2014We had a pleasant meal, but felt a bit rushed. The place is a lot livelier in warmer monthsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I enjoyed aLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 2/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious dinner here on a Thursday night. We had a livingsocial coupon which made the trip well worth it. I had the most delicious steak with a special sauce that was fantastic. I substituted the fingerling potatoes and had the green vegetables which were saute well. My husband had the Sea Bass which he loved although he thought he could have been given a bigger portion. The place was busy, the service was excellent and he refilled our drinks before we could even ask. The waiter was knowledgeable and very helpful in determining what to order. I highly recommend this place! The GM, Mark, truly cares about customer satisfaction and comments. We will be returning:)I would recommend this to a friend.