Gyu-Kaku - San Diego
9844 Hibert St
San Diego, CA 92131Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/ca/sandiego.htm
- Phone: 8586933790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Gyu-Kaku - San Diego
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,’ inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can’t help it.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gyu-Kaku - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (37)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (20)hot spot (17)late-night find (10)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (9)romantic (6)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delish!TigerlilyDined on 8/22/2014Gyu-kaku never disappoints! The meats are tender juicy and well seasoned with a delicious combo of flavors! I highly recommend trying this place but make a reservation because the wait can be up to an hour and a half on a weekend night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Servce was SubparKatBDined on 8/19/2014Came in w/ a friend food was great we had the lunch special. The servers we usually have are great except for the server we had today. Amber was her name and she left much to be desired. She kept trying to upsell us, which I can understand when you work on tips. But after we said no the first time to coffee, dessert, etc. she asked again and when we said no she rolled her eyes. We didn't finish all of our food, so I asked for a to go box and if she could put some of the sauces in a to go container as well. She came back with the box and a tsp of the sauce I had asked for and had the nerve to tell me, "we normally don't let ppl take sauce to go." Seriously, then why would you have to go sauce containers? If you want good service avoid AmberSpecial Features:
- Good placemichaelakane77Dined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed this restaurant. With all the options it was really hard to decide, best value is there sets. Bring your appetite, you will leave this place full if you do it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HiroshiVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great meat and noodles & rice. It's always croweded and difficult to get a table but actully the turn is very quick.Special Features:
- Not DisappointedPulsonicsDined on 8/12/2014The food was good and the service friendly. Very good happy hour.Special Features:
- LuvtoeatDined on 8/8/2014First time here, made reservation for lunch! We walked right in because I made reservation. I highly recommend making reservation because this place gets so full. The Spicy Kalbi is delish.Special Features:
- Dinner with entertainment built in!SeldomReviewDined on 8/3/2014A fun way to eat with friends! Cook your own dinner on the table barbecue. Food was delicious. Service was friendly but slow at times. A little more help at the table would've been great. We had to ask several times for more water, but all the servers seemed knowledgable and friendly. Great fun for kids!Special Features:
- TwinkleDined on 8/3/2014Tasty food and nice service. I would like to go there very often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperienceProps2KakuDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time here, just happen to see it by passing through. Read all the review and not a bad one so figure we give it a try, highly recommended to make a reservation if going during dinning hours or the weekend to avoid long wait time. Awesome food, Awesome waiter name (Juan) who definitely help make our first experience here a great one and good price for all the food we got. Great atmosphere as well. Definitely will be coming here a lot more now.Special Features:
- Great experience!IndricanaDined on 7/31/2014I went here with some coworkers and a vendor for lunch. It was an awesome experience! The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect. The table our group of 5 sat at was a little crunched for space but it wasn't a big deal. I loved being able to cook food at your table together with everyone else, it sort of created a bonding experience. Just so everyone is aware, there is no overwhelming meat smoke smell. They have vents right under the grill at your table so all the smells/smoke get sucked right in.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014The food was just OK. Our expectations were higher. It was also expensive. The "deals" were overpriced. The service was poor. We ordered noodles for our daughter and they didn't arrive at our table until we were almost finished.Special Features:
- unpleasantly long lunchlalaluncherDined on 7/24/2014We were expecting a long lunch break however, it was EXTREMELY long. Most of the time we were waiting for our food to come out of the kitchen. I don't understand how long it takes for raw meat to be served to you before you even get to cook it.Special Features:
- amazing restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014SO glad it came down to San Diego from LA. Every time I go up to LA I go to Gyu Kaku, one of my all time favorite restaurants. I ask every time I'm up there to open one in San Diego, and the gods have answered my prayers! thanks!!!!!!Special Features:
- Fun time, outstanding service!mtkdDined on 7/15/2014Fun experience and outstanding service.The place is busy and all of the food is of course delicious. We ordered a la carte including two appetizers and soups. Our favorite was the miso marinated hangar steak. Our server Doreene was knowledgeable and friendly and attentive. I was most impressed by the teamwork at this restaurant. I don't know if it was because we were near the kitchen, but we had probably 7 diferent people stop by to clear empty plates in a subtle non-interruping way. An empty plate was never there for more than 30 sec. Servers were always walking around with a smile amd head up (as opposed to heads down and blinders on). The manager also came by the table to make sure everything was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud and hot!ChonDined on 7/14/2014very loud.... the grill in the center of the table gets very hot, so you can't really "lean in" to talk... the food was good for the most part... was a little taken back by the velvetta cheese and the s'mores at the end, didn't fit the rest of the meal, not to mention old school and well, not my style. service was good. Not sure I would go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Food was good and place was clean. Food is a little bit pricey even with the happy hour price. Our waiter kept forgetting stuff that we had asked for and we had to keep reminding him. I hope they would have a menu for kids and more options with the non-alcoholic drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014I LOVE THIS PLACE! TRIED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Niles858Dined on 7/9/2014Wonderful food! Excellent service! Both the hostess and our server were top rate. Thanks a bunch! We'll definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacking attentionsarahbobsDined on 6/29/2014We had a big group so i understand it can be difficult. But the food came out in weird increments. Not everyone had food at same time. When we ordered extra items we never got it. For example i wanted a bowl of brown rice, but waited and waited and it never came. I ended up just moving on. I didn't bother to tell the waiter. He hardly came by. I don't think i would ever do a big group there. I would prob just go on a date with hubby. The service was very polite but the attention was lacking. The food was great although if we had more attention I prob would have ordered more food. But i felt what was the point. It would take forever and i would prob have to ask twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great places to go with buddies!JessicaDined on 6/18/2014Our server was very helpful and friendly with us. He explained the menu, the smart deals, and also how the ordered food should be cooked. The food itself was delicious and fun to cook on the grill. I loved the fun Japanese themed feel of the restaurant. The combination of the fun popular music playing, the chatter of the patrons, and the voices of the staff members shouting farewell to guests definitely made the restaurant an energetic place to have dinner.Special Features:
- Decent but some kinks to work outSDdinerDined on 6/17/2014Overall food was tasty and the restaurant seemed lively and clean. Price for the portions are fairly high but it may be for the quality of the meat. Our server was helpful and attentive but several items were forgotten from our order and we had to ask to have them removed from the bill. I would come back but they have some organizational/service issues they should work out, especially expecting a packed house every night.Special Features:
- ChunkyDined on 6/2/2014Excellent food and service. My only concern is the noise, too loud and unruly kids around.Special Features:
- YumkassVIPDined on 5/28/2014We've been here 5 times since they open and the experience each time is nothing but excellent. Quality of meat is the freshest in sd.Special Features:
- New neighborhood resturantjudyDined on 5/26/2014Start with 83+ outside, we arrived at 6:20 for a 6:30 reservation we were told to wait outside in the heat. No where to sit. The noise level is so high you can not carry on a conversation. The whole staff screams out a greeting to every customer. We ordered our food and the wait began! We start to notice the table next to us, had arrived 15 minutes after we were seated, were being served their food. We were served our appetizers', vegetables , after all our meal had been consumed, my husband received his steak and 20 minutes later my chicken came (portions are very small). It is a huge disappointment to me, I was so excited to have a new restaurant in the neighborhood ! We won't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutAmberlyDined on 5/19/2014We absolutely love this place. We have been several times and have always had a amazing experience. We own restaurants and know the hard work that goes into making everything cohesive and fluid. We are so busy with our establishments that when we Dine Out its so refreshing to know that we will have a fabulous time.Special Features:
- Highly overratedwedinetooDined on 5/10/2014noise level is awful. constantly yelling. The waiter told us he would be there to explain everything and then wasn't! We ordered fried calamari which tasted like sawdust, a cabbage salad swimming in sesame oil and edamame for appetizers. filet mignon (which came with fat on it) NY strip steak, tongue, scallops and several other beef meats Our marinades were garlic and miso. The portions were tiny tiny tiny, wouldn't even be enough to feed a child. We left still hungry even though we had appetizers and 3 meats apiece. The only thing remotely worth eating were the scallops. The sauces left on the table were not very good either. We will not be back! Should have gone across the parking lot to the sushi place that we love.
- Best in S.D.kassVIPDined on 5/5/2014Gyu-Kaku is the best Asian BBQ place in San Diego. It's a bit pricey but the quality of the food was the best we ever had in S.D. Great happy hour menu.Special Features:
- The following 5 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - San Diego reviews archive.
- Good food, great service.LottoDined on 4/29/2014Our server Sam was excellent. Gave us a run down of the different sauces for the meats, how long to cook them, and any other specials they were having for the day. The harami skirt steak looked like it was already pre-marinated and we were suggested to cook it for 35-45 seconds each side but I preferred it to sizzle on the grill for a bit longer. $1.95 for white rice kind of bums me out though. A pint of Sapporo draft is cheaper ($1.50!) Overall, pretty delicious and a nice place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gyu-Kaku SD experinecegot2trythematleastonceDined on 4/28/2014As usual, the place never disappoints. Al beit they are only open from 5pm-9pm and no Happy Hours, the good is always Great and service is Awesome!. My wife and I couldn't wait for this place to finally open in SD. We'll be one of the regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally its in San DiegomoanaDined on 4/27/2014Me and my husband were waiting for its opening in San Diego!!! so happy that now we can go to Gyukaku so often! Love Japan and Hawaii locations also!! Great food. Great service!!!Special Features:
- Best food ever!KbroDined on 4/27/2014The food was unreal, some of the beak yakinuki in San Diego!!! The service was flawless and our waitress was very funny. I will definitely come back again and can not wait to bring some newcomers along and get them hookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand opening weekCrushingvioletDined on 4/23/2014Great food and lots of fun. They are still working out the kinks (had to wait 10 mins after RSVP time, back up on orders in the kitchen) but the service was great and the wait time was tolerable. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.