Gray's on Main
332 W. Main St
Franklin, TN 37064Neighborhood:
Franklin / Brentwood
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Gray's on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.graysonmain.com/
- Phone: 6154353603x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 12:00 am
Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Gray's on Main
Eclectic, yet traditional, Gray's menu reflects the best of the South in food, and focuses on locally sourced ingredients. The second floor bar and music hall features hand-crafted cocktails that celebrate the brandy culture of the late 19th century, along with live performances from Music City's finest. The third story holds a casual yet elegant space for our supper club members.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gray's on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (70)special occasion (50)hot spot (47)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (37)great for lunch (34)late-night find (23)romantic (22)great for brunch (21)scenic view (16)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Disappointed at GraysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Manager nice, waitress nice but her service was awful. Did hear she had to work a double shift but still would have thought she would have filled water glasses regularly, removed used plates on the small table, given you a steak knife to try and cut your meat, been attentive, would bring your requested beer prior to the end of the meal without asking again - but no! Dinner food: husbands chop was good my chicken ok. Dessert: Goo Goo S'mores dish sounded good but wasn't. It was some halves of graham crackers in a skillet with a little chocolate, melted marshmallows, and ice cream. Kind of reminded me of something kids make at a sleepover. The highlight was the blues singer Tyesha Armstrong. She was very good and the main reason we came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Some of the food was great and some was not so great. The pork chop and the banana pudding were fabulous! But the steak frites was not good at all. And the appetizers were not what I would call "shareable". They were very small and overpriced. The atmosphere was very unique though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gray's on Main-dependable!LWfoodieDined on 10/16/2014My third visit to this restaurant. Everything works-good service, good food, fun atmosphere in an interesting old building. What's not to like! Most certainly will dine here again.Special Features:
- Expected MoreSaturdayDateNightDined on 10/11/2014We expected more for what we received.... Felt the prices were high for the quality of food we were served. The food wasn't bad, but we've been to other restaurants in downtown Franklin with similarly priced menus & felt the food was much superior to Greys. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- I don't get it!PetersonProDined on 10/11/2014Dry pork chop, bland grits, unseasoned elk and non-existent reduction sauce, unseasoned potatoes. Also, not sure how you cook a double pork-chop in 10-15 minutes unless you're re-heating your food. Very, very disappointing. We got the "Chocolate Cobbler" for dessert which is actually a dry brownie, with ice cream and, wait for it, chocolate sauce on top (hersheys?). Paid $100 for the two of us for reheated food and a pretentiously-named dessert. Our first and last night out to Grays.
- Amazing atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Perfect for date night, or family/friends dining event. One of a kind menu and speciality drinks! Waiters were very knowledgable about food and drink preparation. Live music was very fitting- not too Lou or distracting but talented!Special Features:
- MayFairDined on 10/9/2014Southern fusion and phenomenal cocktails in a beautifully preserved setting, plus great music and outstanding service. Gray's does not disappoint!Special Features:
- A Southern Wow!HotToddyDined on 10/8/2014The building is old, eclectic and cool. The food is new, eclectic and cool. The drinks are amazing; refashioned concepts from old classics. Just go and enjoy. I'd love to go back when a band is playing. Yet another reasons, besides the awesome service, food and drinks, to go.Special Features:
- Grays, the gem of Franklin!Itscrazy2bsaneDined on 10/7/2014As always, Grays made a good night great. The food is amazing and consistent while the wait staff are impeccable! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - loud musicRBritDined on 10/5/20143rd time to dine at Gray's - each time we were not disappointed in food quality, drink variety or service. But we dined early on a Sunday night and were seated on the 2nd floor and the band was 'warming up'. Music was so loud we could not talk with our dinner companions. Music was good...but not what we intended during our dinner. Still we will definitely be back...but will request downstairs seating next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't like SouthernHealthFoodieDined on 9/29/2014I don't like Southern cuisine even though upscale Southern gourmet seems to be the trend in Nashville. If you like this trend, you'll enjoy Gray's. Lots of fried food, bacon and carbs. Too unhealthy to make it my favorite restaurant. I've had the duck a few times and the elk once. They do a great job with their meats. The greens were good, too. Would love them to introduce some really healthy dishes like clean meats with a pile of unfried veggies. Unimpressed with the desserts I tasted that our group ordered. Franklin friendly in a historic building.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/27/2014My husband & I had steak. NO steak knives. Waitress said they are on order cuz customers steal them. Hard to cut steak with our regular knife. Had to ask for bread took forever and not enough for the 4 of us. The reg. knives had stains on them. Some of the French fries were burnt. Not too impressed with our meal.
- Big disappointmentLuvscDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had heard so many great things about Grays on Main so, we were really looking forward to going. We had reservations at 6 o'clock for two. We were seated immediately upon walking to our seat we saw a table for four and ask if we could sit at that one because we like to sit next to each other not across from each other. The hostess quickly replied know that it was already reserved for a table of four. I seen as our server comes to the table and we order drinks, The table I had asked for us to sit at is sat with only two people. Drinks and food were overpriced and not that good. Our service was okay. The noise level was horrible. Overall just very disappointing
- franklingirlDined on 9/25/2014Two things - made resv for 8 and we were seated RIGHT below the musician. Obviously with a group that size, we want to talk and could not. PLEASE PUT THE PIMENTO CHEESE AND DUKE BURGER ON THE DINNER MENU!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerFranklinfriendDined on 9/23/2014We took my mother here for her 84th birthday, with reservations. We were seated at the high table which is not optimal for an older and tiny person. The specialty drink on the menu that I ordered was not available. Servers consistently reached across and over us to serve (how about some basic training?). But what was really disappointing was the food. Undercooked pork chop - actually red in the middle. Tasteless fish, no offer of a second drink or more water. The owner was nice about the pork and comped that meal and the replacement meal, but that alone won't bring me back. Great potential here but they need to focus on the basics like serving etiquette and flavorable food. Sorry Gray's!
- Good food poor serviceJPalkoDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I have been going to Greys for a few months. Food is always good. Our service on this Friday was not good. We waited for drinks and check beyond what is avg service. Will go there still because we like the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On trend but in a classic way.ClassicallyOnTrendDined on 9/13/2014Grays has an very chic esthetic from the minute you walk in. The repurposing and adaptation of an old pharmacy building was incredibly well executed. It was super easy to manage reservations on line and their use of iPad technology was spot on for streamlining the reservation-to-table process. The food and service were both fantastic and we look forward to coming back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marginal foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014All items ordered were very marginal. Avoid pecan crusted okra and bacon wrapped figs. Neither as described. Entrees were likewise very marginal. Pricing was much too high for what should be an upper class restaurant, yet food was second class. WAY over-rated.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Snapper was uncooked and basmati rice was cold when served. Reservation for 2 at 6pm, and although several tables were open, we were seated at the back of the 2nd floor with no view next to crying baby. On the upside, our server was outstanding.
- What?DebnBoroDined on 9/12/2014Food good...But cocktails/wine list disappointing. High $ for no known brands. Had dirty martini served in an old-fashioned champagne glass with calamari olives-what? Service ok.
- Made us feel specialGood2GoDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went to Grays for her birthday. We were seated in a private area and experienced very personalized service. While the food is good, the drinks are tailor made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistencyfoodandwineDined on 9/5/2014It is great that this empty spot has been taken over and turned into a restaurant. What is a shame is never knowing what the kitchen will produce. Too many great restaurants out in the Nashville area, to return to Gray'sSpecial Features:
- Delicious dinner!ketaVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had never been here for dinner, only lunch. We weren't disappointed! The meal was great & so was the service. They knew it was our anniversary & put us upstairs in the much quieter room. That was great. We will definitely return for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot in Downtown FranklinBurgerMeDined on 9/5/2014I recently took some business associates to Grays for lunch and it was excellent. Appetizers were a hit and a couple of us had the Duke Burger which was delicious! The service was very good and the manager stopped by to check on us and gave us some history of the place. All in all, it was a terrific dining experience and I will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope its Not SlippingColonelmacDined on 9/4/2014As a "local" I want to see Gray's succeed long term and it likely will if it continues to draw tourists. But tourists will attend if recommended by locals. Gray's food is very good but portions tend to be a bit small. They have a pretty active upstairs bar scene with some pretty costly drinks. That could be their "Achilles heel" as the pricing on some more mundane items such as a glass of house Malbec was $15. Gray's is nice but lets get real here. Its not a Ruth Chris, Flemings of Morton's steakhouse so pricing like then will drive some of us away. Small nit but could have a big impact.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, Cocktails are betterMrsPickyDinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014Shrimp and grits are great. California salad is tasty. The grilled chicken is okay but a bit bland. My lunch companion said his burger was great. His steamed vegetables were really salty. It's too bad we had to go for lunch. Happy hour with cocktails is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happiest of birthday meals here!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014Our waiter overheard me talking to my husband about his birthday and brought him the goo goo s'mores pie on the house. It, just like our meal, was uniquely scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disorganizedUnderwhelmedDined on 8/31/2014I had heard so much about Gray's on the Main, and was so looking forward to dining there. The entertainment was fantastic and if all you want to do is have a meal and a glass of wine and enjoy the entertainment, then this is the place for you. I had a salad with shrimp, 7 pieces and a very small plate of greens with even smaller amount of walnuts, cheese, and pears, which were paper thin slices that were hardly detectable. It was $17!!! What really bothered me was the way they handled the cover charge. They charged at the door, then asked us mid way through the entertainment if we had paid, then added the cover charge again to the bill. They really need to get their act together and issue a ticket or something at the door.Special Features:
- Gone to So SoWineWithEverythingVIPDined on 8/31/2014I was so disappointed, service was sub par, food was so so. I have been in the past and it each time it hasn't been as good as time before. I won't be recommending anymore.
- Fantastic foodLauraDined on 8/31/2014We were at Grays for Sunday brunch. I cannot describe how incredible our food was. The sweet potatoes/pear combo was mouth-watering. The sweet tea banana pudding was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food and music.FoodiegirlDined on 8/30/2014I'm so happy my friend and I checked this place out. The food was delicious and we loved the music. What a great atmosphere...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GraysFranklin08302014JRAJDined on 8/30/2014Reservation through Open Table. Friendly hostess. Greeted by owner on second floor before being seated. Very friendly and informed server. Okra appetizer was excellent. Elk and Hanger Steak for entrees. Elk excellent. Hanger steak contained too much fat. Banana pudding dessert excellent. Music started before we left . . . jazz. Entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The only issue was we ordered chicken to go for someone not with us and when we got home the chicken we noticed wasn't cooked properly. Looked fine from outside. Inside was completely raw. All the other meals were great. We'd still returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Surprise !!GeorgeBirthdayDined on 8/28/2014Had made (reservations) for my brother's birthday and he had never been to Grey's. What a surprise to be taken up to third floor with a window view and fabulous service from Brook. Everything we ordered was fabulous from the watermelon/kale salad, fried green tomatoes, lamb ribs to the chicken and waffles (my favorite). The dark beer and tonic water was a treat. We look forward to our next visit. Thank you to the staff and owners.Special Features:
- What's a Reservation???InexperiencedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Made the reservation for our Anniversary. When we arrived we were told we had no reservation. Even showing the young lady at the front seemed to cause her more of an issue than appreciating the fact it was an issue for us as well. Asked about two empty tables and was told "Those are held". The evening was salvaged by our waitress who took it upon herself to get a manager involved who 30 min later sat us up in a balcony like area. Even though it cost our original waitress her tip, it was a very nice thing to do. Don't know if Gray's will be on the list of wonderful dinning experiences in downtown Franklin anymore. Which is a shame, they really are a great place to take the risk of having youth, and obvious inexperience, jeopardize all that.Special Features:
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Our waiter was attentive for about the first 20 minutes.. then completed neglected us to chat with another table across the room. Had to ask multiple staff for water refills until we finally were able to get someone to come by. Would have spent even more on cocktails but did not have the opportunity to do so. Dessert took 45 minutes after we ordered it and waiter was extremly defensive/ unapologetic after asking about the status. Very dissapointing as it is such a neat historic renovation and we were so excited to try it. For a $130 meal (for 2) we won't be back.
- lacking... better when first openeddiningdivaDined on 8/20/2014I've eaten at Gray's several times - the menu seems to have gotten smaller and is on the pricey side for what's offered. The food is good, specialty drinks better. Good spot if you have plan to spend time visiting while waiting.
- Great food.FoodiesDined on 8/19/2014Great food but if you prefer less chaos asked to be seated up stairs. We did not enjoy the seating down stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Been here several times, unfortunately the food was not fresh. You could tell the chicken on the salad was made the day before then placed on top. The ham and bacon on my eggs benedict was also premade then reheated. Not sure I am going to go back.
- Great DT Franklin RestaurantJPalkoDined on 8/15/2014Grays is a unique restaurant in downtown Franklin that has very cool decor. Live music on weekends as a great flavor. Cool bar on second level. Food selections are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.