Goose & Gander
1245 Spring Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Goose & Gander
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://goosegander.com/
- Phone: 7079678779x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday 12-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Goose & Gander
Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Goose & Gander - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Goose & Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (138)fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (82)vibrant bar scene (62)romantic (58)special occasion (58)good for groups (51)notable wine list (49)great for lunch (46)hot spot (30)great for brunch (23)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (6)Show More
- Wonderful vibe!KatarinaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Goose and Gander is a happening place. It has a great vibe in all three main areas: upstairs dining room, bar downstairs, and outside. Comfortable, casual, spacious, and quality décor with a duck club feel and view on to the kitchen upstairs. There is energy aplenty, but thank goodness it is not deafeningly noisy. The food was solid, and our server - Shelly - was wonderful. Very nice they have an elevator for handicapped friends. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great experience and foodFoodiefamilyDined on 9/16/2014In St Helena there are plenty of restaurants and bars for tourist. This place is off the beaten path but has all the ambience and food of many of the "famous" restaurants. I will return often...Special Features:
- Martini house reduxOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/13/2014While I was very disappointed in the demise of Martini House, Goose and Gander more than adequately fills those shoes. The food is delicious using fresh local ingredients in very innovative combinations. The fried olives were fabulous! The service was a little less than professional but very friendly. And what a delight to be able to eat outside. I did miss the drama of the interior design of Martini house.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereBinaDined on 9/13/2014Goose and Gander has become one of my top restaurants to visit. My recent visit was during lunch time which turned out to be quite relaxing and quiet. Our server was on top of everything and made sure we were comfortable. I can never get tired of the appetizers here, especially the olives and pistachios (my absolute favorite). I would recommend everyone to try the G&G BurgerSpecial Features:
- Our G&G experienceFoodieEricDined on 9/12/2014We arrived at dusk to a beautiful outdoor table in a nice, casual setting. The food was good - I had their Spanish Grilled Octopus for an appetizer and it was delicious. The burgers are excellent as was the Cucumber Collins drink. Our service was very slow though; patrons who sat down well after us were having their dessert plates cleared long before our entrees arrived and they weren't very apologetic about it. While you can't expect them to match the experiences at places like Meadowood, excellent service should come no matter the price of the meal and we weren't very satisfied with theirs. With all the dining options available in the Napa area, you can probably find somewhere better at their price pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great outdoor seating, cute cellar bar, though a bit loud. Extensive drink list. Duck fat fried fries were amazing. Wife had the clam fettuccine which was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine visitVintagedinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We return here regularly, knowing we'll get friendly service and carefully-prepared food. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet outside diningsantarosan70Dined on 9/5/2014We drove over the hill from Sonoma County to celebrate my husband's birthday with an afternoon lunch. We had had dinner previously at Goose and Gander and been hoping to return and share it with other family members. Not only was the food outstanding and the wait staff very attentive, we never felt rushed and were able to enjoy a leisurely lunch. We also appreciated the quiet since some of us have a hearing loss. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Dinner Reviewindiana007Dined on 9/4/2014Overall a pleasant experience, and the food was overall tasty. Our favorite was the shrimp appetizer. The grassfed burger could have been very good, but was charred too much and tasted burned in some parts. The steak with the creamed spinach sauce underneath was weird. We did expect a bit more, but overall the experience was a good one. PS: We did come the day before for the $ 1 oysters, and they were excellent.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningrtpivVIPDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I had a great meal outside at Goose & Gander. We started with the cheese-stuffed dates (my wife says she can still taste them), followed by a starter each. She got the scallops; I got the octopus. Both were fantastic. We closed it out by sharing a wonderful burger. The bar is supposed to offer the best cocktails around. Their bar menu is about forty pages. The ones we had were very good.Special Features:
- ObsessedRobynVIPDined on 8/31/2014So generally places like Mustards and Rutherford Grill get all the love, but just down the road, Goose and Gander is TOP NOTCH- and not to be missed. It's our favorite little neighborhoody-but-still-feels-special dinner spot. And the chef always makes some amazing off-menu vegetarian entree that is so good, you wake up the next morning wishing you had leftovers. This is the kind of restaurant you plan your evening around. The food is outstanding, the bar is super fun, the outdoor space is beautiful, the cocktail list is creative... couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- Great Service; Friendly PlaceFusionFiendVIPDined on 8/31/2014Really enjoyed the visit to Goose & Gander. Have been meaning to try the restaurant for months, but haven't had the chance. The restaurant is friendly, lively and has terrific food options. Really thought the fried olives and pistachios were a oddity, but really enjoyed them. They worked well together. The waiter was knowledgeable; had a great sense of humor; and was quite welcoming. I believe his name was Colin. Really enjoyed seeing the staff working in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Average and ordinaryjaz2020VIPDined on 8/30/2014Nothing bad (except for 1 dish) but nothing memorable either. Menu identical to 75% of Wine Cty restaurants but there are others who do it better (and admittedly some who do it much worse). Charcuterie platter and mushroom bisque were best; worst was a sturgeon past its prime which I sent back. But this was less than a week after the 2014 South Napa Quake, so they might have had supply or turnover issues. Service was pleasant but also average. Patio is nice in summer.Special Features:
- Great dinner!JdubDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful and tasty cocktails. Apps corn fritters , meat balls, and prawns. Probably the best burger in all of napa valley topped with bone marrow! Absolutely amazing service by our lovely waitress Aimee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceMelPDined on 8/29/2014Visiting Napa with a large group and Goose & Gander was able to accommodate our evening and more. Starting with the downstairs bar and an impressive list of craft cocktails - they were delicious with gorgeous presentation in a cozy atmosphere. Moving on to a wonderfully spacious booth for dinner - we experienced a fabulous menu, gracious and informed service and were allowed to bring our own bottles of wine to accompany the meal. Would be very quick to recommend to others and look forward to returning on my next visit to Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't avoid the side streetspalmdesertdogDined on 8/27/2014Great fun! Their specialty drinks list was a good way to start. Started with heirloom tomato salad done a little differently. Served with mushrooms and on a bed of ricotta. Excellent. Dinners were equally good. Nice experience.Special Features:
- ArugulaDined on 8/18/2014While vacationing, we stumbled upon Goose and Gander on a side street and ventured in because of the cozy patio. Our dinner and waitress were so fabulous that we returned later in the week for a special occasion. Again, we were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant in NapaWhittersDined on 8/17/2014we had a delicious meal and amazing cocktails from the downstairs bar. We sat outside for dinner and loved the feel of the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great device and fantastic foodchristinefromboDined on 8/16/2014This is my 4th trip to Goose and Gander, and it never disappoints. Wonderful atmosphere, great cocktails, really interesting and beautifully prepared food. Our server was enthusiastic and attentive, and the general manager, Marcus, made us feel right at home!Special Features:
- G & G ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Great spot for both cocktails and food. Fun, top notch service, friendly staff, charming atmosphere inside and out.Special Features:
- Deserves its popularityfarm2faceDined on 8/14/2014One of the two best patio-dining spots in town, with a creative cocktail list and dependably good food. The downstairs bar is cozy but lively and full of atmosphere - can be crowded but that's part of the fun. Good wine list too - but I wish they had more wines available by the glass and those that are tend to be pricey ($18 for a glass is high in my world). That's the only reason I'm giving it four instead of five stars. We love to take people to G&G and I recommend it often.Special Features:
- ExcellentVisitorDined on 8/10/2014Everything was great. Will def return. Wonderful food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in a week!CotatiKevinDined on 8/9/2014G&G was such a cool experience that I invited a friend up with me in a week. She was impressed.Special Features:
- A must visit in Napa / St. HelenaEdeVVIPDined on 8/3/2014This gem of a restaurant has amazing food, the valley's best cocktails and live music on Sundays. Sit outside or in and enjoy!Special Features:
- Uber Cool!!!CotatiKevinDined on 8/2/2014This is proof that San Francisco is the only place for foodies and ambiance. My best friend is in SF and is hesitant to travel to Sonoma county which is where I live, so when he comes up I try some really cool digs to make it worth its while. SUCCESS!!Special Features:
- Great local resturantskinewmexicoDined on 8/1/2014Interesting menu, good food, wonderful outdoormdining area. Nice recommendation we got from Ehlers Winery.Special Features:
- Splatt545Dined on 8/1/2014Food was good but our server was snarky and seemed to have an "edgy" comment to everything we asked. Perhaps he was trying to be friendly/familiar, but it was unwelcome and inappropriate, especially because we were celebrating a birthday. No need for us to go back to G & G and we will recommend our friends not to go there.Special Features:
- Expensive but Worth ItNVoldieDined on 8/1/2014From entering the door to leaving, the staff was the best we've encountered;friendly, warm, professional... The menu seemed standard, but the surprise was in the flavor parings and presentations. Delicious, generous, creative. Never have had fettuccine like it and was just the perfect amount of sauce; not saturated in cream sauce, just right for us.Special Features:
- WineandDineDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic burger! Would high recommend the fries as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger and Fries!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Everything looked so good on the menu, the fish, the pasta, everything. But I had to try the burger, with bone marrow, and the side of duck fat fries. The most welcomed food comma of my trip!Special Features:
- Easy EveningmichelleVIPDined on 7/31/2014Loved sitting on the patio at Goose and Gander. We had loved Martini House and when we found ourselves back in St Helena we were looking forward to going again. Now it's Goose and Gander. The food was very good, the waiter was attentive until the end of the evening when we had to chase him down.......... The cheese plate was great, the mushroom soup was excellent and quite filling and the fried Chicken Salad had enough fried chicken on it to stop me from ordering "dinner" which was perfect for me that evening. Loved sitting in the courtyard under the trees. Will try it again on our next trip to St. Helena.Special Features:
- We went back...the very next day!TraeDined on 7/29/2014This place is great. Our service was so nice on our trip we came back the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit ho humKirklandboyVIPDined on 7/29/2014Most of the plates came drenched in oil or butter. There were long delays between course, took forever to get appetizers. Had to ask for bread to accompany salads (might be carb phobia motivating this, not sure). The main courses were pretty good. Wouldn't put on my list of must return places.
- A Great Sunday NightMTnBatDined on 7/27/2014Went there on a Sunday night and had a great experience on the patio. The wait staff were very accommodating and gave us some useful recommendations for things to do and other restaurants to try. We started with their delicious bread and a nice glass of wine. Followed that with a fantastic octopus appetizer...I would go back for that alone! The sturgeon and prime rib that followed were excellent and the strawberry shortcake was to die for. We will definitely make a return visit the next time we are in the Napa area. The bar in the lower section looked like a great hangout spot and we will give that a try the next time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingbaculumDined on 7/26/2014We're food-value snobs. We favor 1 or 2 dollar signs with 3 or 4 star ratings. This place was absolutely great: food, service, comfort, price. Will definitely return when in Napa (from San Francisco).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service non existentFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food we've been to the restaurant 8 times. Our waiter had gone AWOL . We sat in the garden which is lovely but had to wave him over to get attention. Please work on this as we want to come back but will give it only one more trySpecial Features:
- AmazingWinofoodieDined on 7/23/2014Outstanding cocktails!! The beat we've ever had. Amazing ambience and friendly service team. Food was incredible, unique, fun and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must while in St. Helena!rockersVIPDined on 7/23/2014I have just enjoyed my 4'th visit at Goose and Gander. Each time I consider eating at an establishment in St. Helena, I attempt to branch out, but I always come back to the Goose. I am a great fan of the grilled octopus and sturgeon. This time I ordered the sturgeon but decided to mix it up a bit with the roasted dates "bites" stuffed with Gorgonzola. What a treat! Then dessert, where do I begin! Strawberries resting on cookies, topped by a whipped cream that was refreshingly not sweet and so let the strawberries shine on their own. If you have never tried a Moscow Mule, this may be your new drink. The Goose has other specialty drinks, but if you appreciate a strong Ginger Beer, you won't be disappointed in this.Special Features:
- Sunday night prime ribVinfanDined on 7/20/2014At $25, the Sunday prime rib is a solid deal: a healthy slab of beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, fresh veg and a terrific arugula salad. Begin with one of their superb specialty cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bites and BitesWaytogoVIPDined on 7/16/2014The vast variety of appetizer got the meal started very nicelySpecial Features: