Goodall's Kitchen & Bar
1900 Rio Grande
Austin, TX 78705Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Goodall's Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://goodallskitchen.com/
- Phone: 5126284400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 11am (Breakfast)
Monday - Friday: 11am - 2pm (Lunch)
Saturday and Sunday: 7am - 2:30pm (Brunch)
Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm (Dinner)
Friday and Saturday: 5pm - 11pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cory Untch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Goodall's Kitchen & Bar
Goodall’s kitchen & Bar is a neighborhood restaurant concept featuring inventive global cuisine from Executive Chef, Cory Untch, whose locally-driven, seasonal menu showcases the best from top Texan purveyors. A space that is comfortable but sophisticated, thought out but not contrived, Goodall’s is fresh and simple, with an Austin sensibility. In essence, “sub-urban."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Goodall's Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Goodall's Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)fit for foodies (16)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Give me plates of the house baked gougeres, don't tell my doctor, and let me die a happy man! The roast half chicken was as good as I have ever had. Goodall's is a gem in the heart of Austin for eats and drinks.Special Features:
- Off the Beaten PathJustinFosterDined on 9/14/2014Goodall's is part of Hotel Ella of MLK near UT. Like the hotel property, it has a stately feel with a unique blend of tradition and contemporary. We had breakfast at Goodall's two mornings and dinner one evening. In all cases, the service was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The food was decent; about what you'd expect from a boutique property. For dinner, my wife had the salmon and I had the steak. She had green beans for her side and I had corn hash. Although well-presented, both dishes were a little over-flavored with spices and were salty. With many options in Austin, we'd still likely try them again because of the amazing service.Special Features:
- Outstanding!dine1Dined on 9/12/2014This place was fantastic! We started with roasted head of cauliflower with goat cheese and garlic followed by pork tenderloin and fried chicken. Oh my. It was so tasty. Don't miss the tomatoe grits as a side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Four friends celebrated birthdays among a beautiful quiet setting. The food was excellent and service was fabulous! We all remarked that we would certainly recommend this to friends and would definitely return! Thanks for a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceCriticalGuyDined on 7/31/2014We went for our anniversary and it was pleasant. The menu is small but our dishes were tasty and the price was not unreasonable. The interior has a lot of charm. The bar is small but is probably a great neighborhood location. We will go back again but only if it fits in with something else we will be doing in Austin for entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in a Historic SettingATXServiceHoundDined on 7/26/2014The new owners who have renovated the Goodall Mansion into a splendid boutique hotels and sophisticated cocktail bar and restaurant. The menu is chef prepared and has a great mix of taste and comfort. The appetizers, main dishes, sides and dessert were all splendid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedwino4everVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food exceeded our expectations - very nicely presented and tasted great. A nice creative take on comfort food.The location is wonderful too, slightly off the beaten path but easily accessible. The dining room and bar are small and intimate.Special Features:
- Loved itcaetxDined on 7/4/2014I love the renovations to this space, very classic looking. Comfortable chairs, great lighting. The service was superb! It's difficult to find this level of attention to detail. The food, cocktails, and wine were all delicious. I had the special fish that was perfectly cooked. Our side dishes were really good, my favorite was the smoked tomato grits. I would skip the octopus appetizer in the future but only because the chickpea fries were a bit mushy. The other flavors worked well together in absence of the fries.Special Features:
- Great Dinner and Amazing Light ShowNancyDDined on 6/12/2014We dined At Goodall's on Thursday evening with an amazing light show due to a large thunderstorm moving through the area (the power at the hotel subsequently went out about 30 minutes after we had concluded our business. The service at Goodall's was spot on and the wide variety of different tastes on the menu gave all four of us the chance to sample the cauliflower, tots, soup, salad, steak and the fried chicken. So much food that we skipped dessert although I must admit I had my eye on the Fredericksburg Peach Cobbler! The service was just the right mix of attentive and invisible, leaving our table a chance to discuss the business the evening was designed to cover.Special Features:
- Good Goodall'smegapiranhaVIPDined on 6/3/2014Simple menu. Excellent food and service and a mojito to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Goodall's Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- Brunchpbillings512Dined on 5/18/2014Hanger steak, chimmichurri, poached eggs and crispy potatoesSpecial Features:
- Wonderful BrunchEmJBDined on 5/17/2014I ate here with my parents for breakfast on a Saturday morning. Everyone loved the food and the service was excellent. The waiter allowed me to create my own breakfast combination. Our order was correct, which almost never happens at restaurants in Austin. They make their own butter and jam, which my parents loved. It was a great value and pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammyJDined on 5/10/2014It was so expensive that I was expecting food that would blow my mind. The food was not bad but it was not worth the money. There is no scenery out the window so I was a bit disappointed. The waiter was great though, but didn't come to our table enough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed our dinner here with long time friends. Although the noise level was moderately high when we arrived (strange given the carpet on the floor) it settle down and we were able to enjoy conversation. The menu was very interesting and the food was very good. It seemed that there was only one wait staff available on that evening (Saturday night) and while he did an outstanding job of taking care of everyone, he did seem rushed and unsettled. He was knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. We had dined here when it was the restaurant at the Mansion at Judge's Hill and like the new "makeover" of more contemporary decor but honoring the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent Kitchenpbillings512Dined on 5/3/2014Every dish in our party of three was well crafted. Will be back for more. Braised Pork Sandwich is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchFoodhappyDined on 4/13/2014My husband has been wanting to try Goodalls, so we brought him for his birthday. We were charmed with the dining room and the lovely setting at Hotel Ella. The meal was delicious and desserts even better. We had a lovely relaxed time. We want to come for lunch soon!! So pleased we found this gem.Special Features:
- Tasty & ElegantmeagDined on 4/11/2014Really enjoyed having my birthday lunch here! This place is absolutely GORGEOUS! The greeting staff were so nice and helpful and the waiter was attentive and friendly. I had the cheeseburger and a caesar salad. Soooo delicious! After lunch my friends surprised me with a cake that the staff generously kept in their fridge for us. The chef brought it to us! He introduced himself and complimented my sister's homemade cake. All around great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first visit toluvsavoryVIPDined on 4/5/2014It was our first visit to Goodall's and we were very impressed with the venue (much improved from that of the Mansion). The menu, while somewhat limited, was very good. The food and presentation were excellent. The wait staff was very willing and able, but the kitchen could not keep up. The meal took 2 hours and 15 minutes. I believe there was a banquet in the hotel and the kitchen was overwhelmed. We will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service offabesDined on 4/1/2014my food which was fish was very good - my friends ordered salad with chicken and they did not seem to enjoy the food at all, but since I was the host they said nothing. I was served tea and honey with no spoon - when we had finished our entrees she said"would you like the check now" - since it was a birthday celebration we wanted to have desert, and we had to ask for a desert menu - when we were ready to leave she brought the wrong check to the table - she was very nice, but needed training. I fault the restaurant for not giving her the proper training. the place is beautiful and we loved that it was very quiet and we could have a conversation.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2014With a group of visitors from out of town we could not impressed them more with perfect service and perfect food to the last drop of wine, highly original (french/texan?) food. It is a bit pricy but it worths every cent. I double my usual tip (on top of what is included in the bill)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New AgainMSWdinerDined on 3/22/2014We knew this location as the Mansion on Judges Hill but post a $6M makeover, the property is fresh and inviting. The restaraunt occupies the same location but that is about all that is in common with the previous dinning experience. The menu is creative and modern with a nice variety including vegan options. We will definately be going back. Be sure to check out the Umlauf sculputure garden in the courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy but not tastyAfibDined on 3/7/2014Nice ambience and good service . Food unfortunately did not measure up
- LunchRoJoVIPDined on 2/25/2014We were the only party of 4 at lunch. It was quiet, which is very nice and hard to find a restaurant today that is. The menu was small, and not much to chose from. Portions were also small - for the price! Nice ambience, but the server was not very good nor professional. He had BO.....
- Goodalls Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014We REALLY enjoyed our dinner at Goodalls. The combinations of flavors in each dish were unexpectedly wonderful. What seemed like strange ingredients to our ears where delightful on our tongues. & The service was excellent! Will come back when it's warmer for dinner and to take full advantage of that wonderful outdoor porch for cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about this placejerriebDined on 2/9/2014Everything about this place is charming. The food is as beautiful as it is delicious. We were so pleased to find favorite wines on their list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodall's was more than good...JessicaKVIPDined on 1/31/2014It was excellent. We had some truly delicious parmesan breads with sweet butter followed by 3 starts - the quail, the kale and the pork belly. All were amazing and exceeded expectations. For entrees we had an assortment - two pastas, the trout and the scallops. Again, the food was wonderful with beautiful presentation. We had the bacon pecan pie - it came out piping hot to beware but once it cooled it was delightful. Goodall's is charming with excellent service and superb food.Special Features:
- Could be a gem but not!CandiceDined on 1/18/2014Customer service should be vamped up and food falls short for the price. Lots of great restaurants in Austin and this one COULD be a gem, but it's not.
- Fireside diningJeffVIPDined on 1/7/2014We were fortunate to be seated next to the fireplace on one of Austin's coldest days. The service was excellent and our wait staff was very knowledgeable on food and wine list. The combination of food, service, excellent wine and fireplace made for a memorable evening. We will return.Special Features:
- Reincarnation of the Wooten HouseBarrettVIPDined on 12/25/2013What a great old place. I remember it languishing in un-cut grass and weeds in the 60's and 70's. Christmas day brunch was very nice, if the wait staff was a little new and inexperienced. But those things are self-healing with time so they will improve. The kitchen appears very capable, and the dining room is properly elegant in gray and walnut. We'll be back to the dining room after a bit of time passes. We loved the quiet bar, but having brought our own bottle of Grande Dame, we did not test the barman's Sonoma mettle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerjdvsDined on 12/20/2013Fabulous dinner. All four of us loved our meals. Mac and cheese side dish is to die for! Kale salad was wonderful. Red pepper soup was outstanding. One of our party had the Pasta Amatriciana and it was unbelievable. Highly recommend. Another had the Chicken Breast and it was moist and very tasty. Service good. This is a gem that has yet to be discovered by the Austin population. The chef is extremely talented. Go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayHotelGuy90210Dined on 12/18/2013Austin, a "foodie town", is very fortunate to have a new neighborhood gem - Goodall's Kitchen and Bar at the Hotel Ella. I chose to have a laid-back birthday dinner here with my friends the other night and must say the service is outstanding, the bar and dining room are beautiful, the choice of beer, wine and spirits superb, and the food, what can I say, excellent. I highly recommend Goodall's and will be returning.often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect little surprise!SuzetteDined on 12/17/2013We had a staff lunch here for Christmas. It is quaint, food is delicious and the staff friendly and responsive. A very nice surprise!Special Features:
- Local, seasonal menu=divine diningMelmichjonDined on 12/14/2013I took my mom, sister, and aunt here for a girls weekend special dinner. My aunt gave our server a challenge. If you were bringing your mother-in-law here for the first time, what would you want her to try? Erica did not disappoint. Every item we tried was superb. From cocktails to dessert, each new course was more delicious than the last. The Texas quail appetizer, sea scallop small dish, and the cinnamon spiced duck were the main highlights of the evening. The chocolate peanutbutter molten cake will be raved about for years. With their seasonal menu, it would be hard to have the same thing twice, so I am looking forward to having a new dining adenture at Goodall's for many years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great beginningMountainBoyVIPDined on 11/22/2013Open only a few weeks, the food and service are already on a par with the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.nativeaustiniteDined on 11/7/2013Great if you want a place where you can actually hear....nice staff. EXTREMELY SLOW in terms of pace of meal. We should have said we don't want a 3-hour meal, but who thinks to make that clarification the minute you sit down? Next time--if we return. Bruscetta toast tasted like stale cornbread. Terrible. Dessert: nutella creme brulee. Very very good. It is new--perhaps they will get it together.