2200 Oxford Street
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 809-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00 - 10:00 pm every evening
Weekday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday
Weekend Brunch: 10 am - 2:30 pm Saturday and Sunday
Reservations accepted for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Sean Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The first organic catering company in the country:
We cater for groups of up to 250 people in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley.
We cater off-site groups upon request, e-mail email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for a manager 5108090400
- Special Events: Parties of 7-12 may book 1st seating and 2nd seating tables by phone. Groups of 12 to 18 may arrange seasonal prix fixe menus a week or more in advance, Sunday-Wednesday only. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your party size, preferences and budget.
- Cross Street: Allston Way
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!)
AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley
Ample bicycle parking
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a garage in the building ($4 nighttime, entrance at 2161 Kittredge) and 3 other nearby public lots including the garage at Zellerbach Hall
A word from Gather
• Utilizing techniques inspired by classic culinary craftsmanship, Gather in downtown Berkeley features organic local produce, pizzas, sustainable seafood, and humanely-raised meats that showcase the uniquely abundant environment of Northern California- with 50% vegetarian offerings. A totally organic cocktail list, innovative desserts, and an affordable wine list crafted by national award winner Christie Dufault are served up in a warm ambiance informed by honey hued reclaimed woods literally “gathered” from the surrounding area. Directly across from the UC campus, it is conveniently located in the very green David Brower Center; 5 minutes from Zellerbach Hall and Berkeley Rep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gather - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (186)neighborhood gem (112)special occasion (86)great for lunch (63)great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (52)great for brunch (49)hot spot (35)romantic (30)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Gather is Improving, but still some kinksEastBayAdventurerDined on 11/15/2014Gather offers a wide variety of local sourced tasty dishes, with vegan and gluten free options. Creative menu with broad variety. Still needs to smooth out kinks, as food temperature not consistent, where brunch eggs were excellent, but potatoes luck warm / too cool. Vegan cookie looked like a cow pie, and staff not completely informed about Kombuko teaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good!jRachDined on 11/14/2014I loved everything I ordered: Bee Royalty cocktail - Awesome, strong ginger flavor which I love. Wild arugula salad - Nice light salad, the dates were chopped up small for just a touch of sweet Wild mushroom - Love the toasted quinoa, great flavors Spicy tomato - I'm not even vegan but the cashew cream instead of cheese was really good, much preferred it over my dad's pizza w/ mozzarella Pistachio cake - Yum! Not too sweet, really tasted the pistachio, went great with the citrus & yogurt tanginess. Others ordered the mint chip ice cream & chocolate dessert but liked this by far the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible atmospherecryptsyDined on 11/10/2014The food is actually quite good and inventive. However it's impossible to enjoy in what feels like a combination of feedlot and fratty pizza joint. The acoustics are so loud that conversation is impossible for the duration. Will not be back.
- Great food, service variableMojoDined on 11/10/2014We hadn't been to dinner at Gather for several years. The food was impressively good. We decided on multiple small plates, a little gems salad, steamed mussels, smoked sturgeon, and pork belly -- all were delicious, as was chocolate budino and mint chocolate ice cream for dessert. Overall the service was good, but our waitperson asked me if I wanted a second glass of wine (Sangiovese, also good), but then never brought it and when I asked her for it, somewhat rudely told me that she had heard me say no to a second glass. Fortunately, the maitre d'/hostess sort of took over and handled our desserts and bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellent and innovativealisonDined on 11/9/2014We've been to Gather many times, and it is always innovative, interesting, and delicious. We arrived at 5:00 after a matinee, and within half an hour the place was full. This time we stuck to first courses plus a pizza. Mussels cooked Asian style but with an Indian depth to the flavor. Wild mushrooms over sweet potato puree, musky and delicious. A "fontinella" pizza with additions of pancetta and egg--so perfectly chewy and smoky and eggy that we ate every bite and got too full for dessert. Waiter excellent at choosing wines by the glass for each dish. The crowd there were all having a great time--it's a fun place. Bill was just over $100--not bad for such great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet patioPJDivaVIPDined on 11/9/2014We were aware that the Berkeley half marathon was being run that day, but had no idea so many would be eating at Gather after the run. Luckily we were able to sit outside on the patio and away from the din and excited chatter of the runners. My husband had the French toast which was a bit on the sweet side and I had the new winter salad which could have used a few more pistachios and perhaps cheese to boost its flavors. The food at Gather is fresh and genuine. We shared a side of bacon which was outstanding. Topped this off with great coffee and we were fueled for our matinee performance of Party People at the Berkeley Rep.Special Features:
- Not vegan or gluten free friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014I was there for brunch, they have very limited choice of food for vegan and gluten free diets. The size of the dish was extremely small. I will not go back to this place again.
- LovegudfoodDined on 11/7/2014It is by far the best pizza I HAVE EVER HAD....And I've been to Italy 3 timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I've never written a review before, but this dining experience was so genuinely bad that I thought I should warn others, as I had been told such nice things about this place. Flavourless mixed drinks, unfriendly-near rude service and mediocre food, at best. Obviously, won't be going back.
- Pizzas are lovelyECfoodyDined on 11/5/2014The pizzas are great. Also loved my cocktail and the olives we had to start. However the panzanella that came with my chicken had too much balsamico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird, limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/3/2014Not a lot of good choices on the menu and very expensive. I mean, $24 for cauliflower? It's fine if you're into that sort of thing, but the Bay Area has too many other good places I'd rather go.
- Field to TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014This restaurant has always been fantastic! The food is prepared perfectly and I love they are so sensitive to food allergies yet still create inventive and delicious dishes. The ingredients are always fresh and clearly local, which the chief seems to incorporate to perfection. The wait service has been excellent every time I have visited, taking care to be sure what is asked of the dish to be correct. The atmosphere is festive and a bit loud at times, keep in mind if you’re looking for a quite romantic spot, this may not be the case depending on the day and time you plan on going. I highly recommend this restaurant and only wish there was one in the town I live in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the FoodMarkieVIPDined on 10/30/2014Wild mushroom salad, pork belly and lentils, mussels and a veggie pizza.... All the dishes were amazingly good. And great service too (a shout out for Amanda!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Everything I had at Gather was divine and remarkable. From my cocktail to my salad to my entree, every flavor was unique and new.Special Features:
- good but getting fussyMaatkareVIPDined on 10/26/2014Gather serves good food, but is getting too fussy in its cuisine--miniature potato latkes on a crudo dish, porchetta wrapped in half a pound of pure fat, etc. It was better when it was simpler. And the dessert menu is very weak. The chocolate budino, often the only appealing dessert, is inferior to any I've had at many other restaurants. There's never a straightforward fruit dessert. Better to get a Haagen Dasz pop at the movie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014What a treat for the tastebuds! Truly worth a visit...for the bay area food experience and innovation.Special Features:
- Food great, ambience not soYogadivathe1Dined on 10/23/20142 of us met for lunch. Busy busy place with visible lineups!!! I'm glad we made early reservations. The food was terrific. We both had the mushroom sandwich we both devoured. It had a lovely smokey flavour, rich and unique. The ciabatta was just right, and it came with a small salad. I felt rushed, though, after we finished our lunch. I was hoping to see what was for dessert, linger over coffee. We were not offered any!!! Coffee was an afterthought , and I found it strange that it came from a flask. It was hot, but non descript. A disappointing cup of coffee!!! But the food was great. Small lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality fallingKrisVIPDined on 10/23/2014Eaten here for years but had a really bad lunch last week. Kale salad was soggy and the dressing was too vinegary. The pork sandwich was so soggy we couldn't pick it up, had to eat it with a fork. The pork was fatty, the lettuce was sparse and the bun couldn't support it. The mushroom sandwich wasn't soggy but the mushrooms tasted bland. Chocolate chip was good.
- Another enjoyable dinner at GatherMarbellaDined on 10/21/2014We had out of town guests, and took the opportunity to take them out to Gather. We went early, so it was quiet and relaxed. The dinner was a pleasure, the food was innovative and delicious. My only problem with the restaurant is that it is hard to get last minute reservations--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overlong wait for entreesFoodie49Dined on 10/19/2014We loved this place all but the wait for our entrees. It took an hour and a half from the time we were seated! There was no explanation from our waiter. We had to flag him down to ask what was happening. All we got was. "I'll check" with no report back (twice), and "thank you for your patience" when the food finally did arrive. So the wait ended up souring all of our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Great Restaurant!SanseiBearDined on 10/18/2014It was our first time at Gather since our first two choices where we've been before were booked solid. That said, sometimes the third can be a charm, and Gather was totally awesome! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good vegetarian optionshehintzDined on 10/16/2014The little gem salad is great. Grilled cheese sandwich and egg sandwiches are yummy. Kake salad is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014I very much miss the original Gather pizza -- bubbly, free form crust. The newer version is just not the same and is NOT an improvement!Special Features:
- Wonderful as AlwaysDelightedDined on 10/14/2014The food at Gather is always excellent. They have interesting and delightful combinations of flavors. The food is always incredibly fresh. I love their cocktails as well as their non-alcholic drinks. Gather is one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- DisappointingsonyavioletDined on 10/10/2014Host/waiter very poor, aloof at interacting with customers. Too busy on computer to even look up when we first walked in and were standing right in front of him. One waitress very nice. Bus-person rushing us. Overall, too many hands/helpers on our table. Lattes good. Food mediocre. So surprising from a place with its rep. but not the first time we have experienced this.
- Unexpected DelightbruhahaDined on 10/9/2014Returning to Berkeley after too many years away, I knew there must be great restaurants in addition to Chez Panisse, and Gather lived up to its advance notice and more. The food and the presentation are really impeccable, and my sweetheart and I oohed and ahhed through three courses. I'm not the type to describe details -- I just know excellent cooking when I taste it. Beautifully done.Special Features:
- as always-greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014Gather is such a lovely environment, great bar selection and sitting outside is a great way to avoid the interior noise level. Mussels were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why all the fuss?gourmetteDined on 10/8/2014In my opinion does not live up to the hype. Lunch menu has a few good items, but not a large enough choice and terrible, really terrible desserts. Had to send back the carrot cake as it was like cardboard. Overall OK but not fantastic when you compare it to many other good lunch places in Berkeley.
- Maybe better for brunch than dinnervlbaDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I came here years ago for brunch and had a great experience, so we decided to come here for dinner a few days ago. This time our experience was rather average. The food was just OK. With the abundance of choice of excellent food in the Bay area, it was rather unimpressive. We may come back here again for brunch to see if the brunch is just a better proposition here, but we're probably not going to return for dinner.Special Features:
- Pickle heavenJacavityDined on 10/4/2014We took one look at the menu and decided that we were going to order all the appetizers to begin with - they were all excellent, especially the pickled vegetables! Crisp, bright flavors on the beans, cabbage and the cucumber and a nice spice on the house-made kimchi as well. We ordered the wild mushroom and the little gem salads which were a great start to the meal as well. The Sweet 100 tomatoes packed a lot of tomato flavor into such a small package - even late in the tomato season! For entrees, we had the spicy tomato pizza (vegan) and the cauliflower entree and both lived up to expectations, although the cauliflower didn't really wow us. For dessert we tried the pistachio cake and the chocolate budino - truly decadent!Special Features:
- ThomasDined on 10/4/2014The menu was confusing until we had the waiter explain it to us. The pre-main course items we had were very, very good. We split them but there was only a bite or two for each. Pizza was good. Service was OK, but since the menu was confusing we had to wait for the the wait person and they did not come for a while. Server was polite, helpful and very personable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavoursome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Had lovely meal here - the bean soup outstanding and roasted peach salad amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The star is gone, still lot to likeUCity63Dined on 9/29/2014The absence of the incredible vegan charcuterie takes much away from the unique tasting experience of this place.One can find larger portions of some of those items as starters on the menu, but will have to settle on less tastes. The soup remains a favorite, always hearty and flavorful. Entres were fine, but the starters remain the best choices, as well as the desserts. The homemade mint chip ice cream was absolutely delicious, but the promise of an olive oil garnish remained mostly a promise. We could see a tiny drop at the bottom of the cup, scarcely enough to impart any flavor at all. A wonderful meal could be put together from soup, salads, and starter courses.Special Features:
- Typical BerkeleyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Too many vegan and gluten free (for the misinformed diner) items and not enough "regular" choice. I suspect they are catering to their crowd.Special Features:
- Lovely FindtigercarrotDined on 9/28/2014Came for brunch with friends who had been here before and the menu was great--plenty of things for them to eat plus plenty of well-marked vegetarian/vegan foods for me to pick from. Even their ketchup is homemade (and delicious)! The decor is a charming clean rustic and the menu has a focus on local, seasonal fare, which I really appreciate :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiters great, food OKFlavaFanDined on 9/27/2014I was expecting the opposite--snooty waiters but superb food. But the waiters were very helpful and did their best to make up for the LONG wait for our order. They even gave us a free dessert. Our "grilled peach salad" had ONE very small wedge of dry, over-grilled peach even though the menu's description made it sound like the peach would be the star of the dish. The entrees were delicious when they finally arrived. The wine was great, but our water was room temperature--no ice. The dessert was yummy. All-in-all, a B+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dinner ar GatherOndinaDined on 9/27/2014It took awhile to get a seat at Gather we had to reserve a few weeks ahead! The service was excellent and the food delicious however my partner ordered the veggie entree and it was more the size of an appetizer- very small! I ordered halibut which was a good size and delicious. So our experience was mixed.Special Features:
- more toppings please!ReecieDined on 9/25/2014Toppings on our fig/pancetta pizza VERY skimpy! What's up with that?! Otherwise, food was very good. Odd but interesting combinations of ingredients that worked well_for the most part. Beautifully presented, courteous server. Too loud inside to converse without shouting. ("Patio" with exhaust and traffic noise!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good restaurantbarbsbergDined on 9/25/2014We had a delicious lunch: the salads are imaginative and the pizzas are also. They saved the table I requested and the sefvice was outstanding. Desserts were tempting but we resisted. A little pricey for a neighborhood lunch, but not excessively so.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceenjoydiningDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I had lunch on a week day. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio as it was a nice day. The waiter was very kind and solicitous regarding my dietary restrictions. We enjoyed a combination of vegetarian and meat dishes which were excellently prepared. I was so impressed I am scheduling a brunch soon for a reunion of college friends.Special Features: