185 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gasparbrasserie.com/
- Phone: (415) 576-8800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday 3:00pm-all evening
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Chris Jones
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: Contact us for information on how to order Gaspar in the comfort of your own home or office!
- Entertainment: Visit our sister restaurant, Cafe Claude at 7 Claude Lane for live Jazz Wednesday through Sunday evenings! cafeclaude.com
- Special Events: Follow us on facebook to find out about our special offsite and onsite events! facebook.com/gasparbrasserie.com
- Cross Street: Kearny St
- Public Transit: Gaspar is conveniently located 2 blocks from the Montgomery BART Station, and the Number 3, 30, and 45 Muni stops.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The White House Garage located at 223 Sutter St, or the Post Montgomery Center at 120 Kearny Street are two convenient parking locations near by.
A word from Gaspar Brasserie
Gaspar is a French restaurant reminiscent of a Parisian brasserie with modern mid-20th century flair, it is allure and intrigue, transporting guests to a time long past with the flavor and style of a classic French locale with a creatively avant-garde twist. Inspired by the romantic bustling Paris of old, and centered on extraordinary food, drink, and hospitality - Gaspar is an exciting complement to the bustling Financial District while offering a dynamic shift in the city’s landscape of restaurants. Gaspar cuisine, helmed by Executive Chef Chris Jones, showcases a menu of approachable brasserie fare comprised of classic French dishes, with the local Northern California bounty woven throughout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gaspar Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)romantic (47)special occasion (44)great for lunch (42)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (21)hot spot (21)notable wine list (18)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Intimate and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/21/2014Great vibe. Intimate dining room and bar. Lovely menu, delicious food. The duck confit was wonderful, the fish and scallop in a harissa broth was remarkable. My husband's steak was equally delicious. Wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and a Beautiful RestaurantChuckVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have been to Gaspar four times in the last few months, and every meal has been wonderful. Great cocktails, moderately priced wine list, diverse menu, attentive service with a real desire to please their customers. Every course we have ordered exceeded our expectations. Two blocks from the Montgomery BART station, and just a short 10-15 minute walk from Union Square. What a wonderful addition the the Financial/Downtown dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the Mark!!!justanotherfoodieDined on 11/19/2014I really enjoy the sauces of French foods and I did not find them tonight. We sat downstairs and it was very noisy. Our waiter was also the bartender and the food and beverage manager had to help out serving our table. We ordered the sampling of cheeses for an appetizer and the portion were VERY small, the pouring of cocktails was so measured that you ended up with more ice than liquid. The entrée selection was very limited. I ordered two different type of white wines, the first they did not have in inventory and the second had not been chilled. The bill far exceeded our dinning experience.
- kalianderVIPDined on 11/19/2014The food was very good and the ambiance is perfect. It transports you to a brassiere in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French restaurantfloppsyDined on 11/17/2014I was there for a business lunch. It was an excellent choice. We were able to hear each other but it wasn't too quiet. The food was excellent; each member of our party was very happy with his/her meal. The service was a bit slow, although part of that might have been that the kitchen was very busy during that period. I was also impressed by the remodel of the space that this restaurant implemented. It is much nicer than the previous use of the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We had great service and enjoyed the food alot. We had alot of space to ourselves upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodPierreYvesDined on 11/15/2014It's been a while since I had such a great dinner. The recipes are using simple ingredients to revisit classic dishes in a wonderful way. The smoked salmon 1000 crepes was excellent. The swordfish had an amazing bordelaise sauce (I couldn't help but use the bread to clean the plate and leave no sauce behind). Minor downside: the bread. slightly chewy, could be more crunchy and have a more french white bread taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for LingerersDodoVIPDined on 11/11/2014I like to settle down with a sign of satisfaction in a place that promises a no-hurry experience: a warm welcome, a relaxed (possibly woodsy) and relaxing interior, a sense of style that's not obtrusive, not minimalistic, but Just Right. I enjoy good conversation accompanied by comfortable, uncrowded seating and the promises of fine cuisine properly served, and slowly enough to savor. My first visit to Gaspar Brasserie delivered all that, enlivened by a sense of discovery and an immediate realization that this was a place I would surely enjoy more than once. Chapeau! DodoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wineanddineVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were a group of 5 for lunch. The food was very good as well as the service. Very nice choices on the menu. Will be back to try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at Union Square brasserielkn4foodVIPDined on 10/21/2014had lunch here downstairs in the bar area, Duck consume for an app and the swordfish entree. The waiter was friendly and chatty. The food was very good, but the entree was slow to come. A manager apologized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite extraordinaryRobertDined on 10/20/2014We lunched on a very quiet Monday and were seated downstairs. The restaurant is beautiful, and we hoped our food would live up to the image. It was good, but nothing very special. The lunch menu doesn't offer a lot of interesting choices, and what is available is pretty undistinguished. There are lots of places to buy a better burger or tuna sandwich. We had hoped for genuine French bistro food and had to settle for the commonplace. Overall the meal was perfectly fine, but I don't find myself longing to return. I would always choose Café Claude over Gaspar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisy upstairs.HoodyDined on 10/17/2014Had business lunch in second floor dining room. My colleague and I had to strain to hear each other across the table. Also, waiter took our orders, complimenting us on our choice - and then neglected the table throughout the rest of the meal. All I needed was attentive service, so that I could properly host my business colleague without him stressing over basic service. I would not go back for lunch again.
- Raves from our NOLA nativesCarterWhoDined on 10/15/2014We had a business dinner to book during the craziness that is Dreamforce in SF. My original goal was to just find a not-to-popular spot that could get a reservation. Given that low bar, I couldn't have been happier with the overall experience. Our table was perfect, our waiter attentive and the food excellent. Our guests were New Orleans natives and I feared a French bistro was a dangerous choice. They were overwhelmed with the creative menu and presentation. The bar scene was hopping but not part of or plans. I look forward to returning for a more intimate dinner with my bride.Special Features:
- Sweet placeMarginwalker4Dined on 10/10/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere but the food was so so. Had a yummy pastis aperitif, but the pour was small. The arugula salad mostly tasted of vinegar; it needed more subtlety. The sea bass and scallop with Harissa broth was tasty but the protein portions were on the small side. The wine by the glass (Chardonnay) was okay--not stellar. The baguette was rubbery--could use crisping up, since it wasn't super fresh. Service was swift and attentive. The restaurant was kind of chilly. Not sure I will go back, given all the other choices in SF.
- Dinner experienceSFstairwaywalksDined on 10/9/2014Enjoyed our evening here - waiter was knowledgeable & attentive. Nice selection of wines by the glass. French classics with a CA sensibility. The corner seating upstairs is good for those wanting to converse with their dining partner. Otherwise, the noise level is pretty high. Kudos on the decor - this is a great location but difficult space - well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Lunch SpotDoubleODined on 10/8/2014Another amazing lunch at Gaspar. Joe is my favorite lunch server in the city, attentive, remembers me and what I like. The food is just wonderful also strayed from my usual and got the Lamb Sando which was great my guest had the Salmon Crepe which the raved about days later. Great Experience!!Special Features:
- underwhelmedRobertDined on 10/1/2014The quality of the food did not match the beautiful surroundings and attentive service we received. We were disappointed. The salad/starter course was first rate, as was the wine list. The entrees, however, failed to live up to the prices charged. The entrecote, which should be a signature dish in a French bistro, was flavorless and kind of chewy. Kudos to our waiter Matteo, who made the evening very enjoyable notwithstanding the food-related disappointments. His attentiveness and spot-on knowledge of the wine list was remarkable.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceMYChinaSFVIPDined on 9/25/2014Food is great, service is wonderful, and the people are friendly! Great hidden gem in the downtown financial district!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/22/2014The downstairs bar eating area especially customer friendly with quieter ambiance than upstairs. The waiter was especially attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant, iffy foodTeresaVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was impressed by the décor and restaurant atmosphere. Went with friends to celebrate my birthday. Surprised to see lots of empty tables on a Saturday night at 8:15pm. My steak was too raw (asked for med). My friend's flounder was way too salty. My other friend's bass and scallops were disappointing because he only got one small scallop when the dish would have looked and really called for either 2 small scallops or 1 giant one. Our drinks took forever to come and they ran out of the beer my friend was having. They did comp the late drinks so I have to say service was good but overall visit was quite disappointing. With so many restaurant choices in the city, I wouldn't go back for dinner - perhaps for drinks.Special Features:
- Oui!simonianVIPDined on 9/20/2014Charming room, charming host, great classic brasserie food with some modern touches. C'est fantastique!Special Features:
- Love the BarChuckVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is very good at Gaspar, and the bar is one of the most beautiful in San Francisco. Great cocktails and good selection of wines by the glass. Lamb sandwich and mussels at lunch were a treat. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Cute place and the service was good--- the food was just so-so.
- It felt like ParisFussyeaters2VIPDined on 9/19/2014The room was dark and cozy with comfortable seating. The dark ceilings and walls and indirect lighting were lovely. There were 3 of us for lunch and we shared an entree, each had a main, and shared 2 desserts. Everything we ate was delicious. The mussels were especially fine, and came with criteria and a pungent delicious aioli. I will go back with my husband for dinner and sit downstairs where perhaps it will be less noisy.Special Features:
- Drinks NOT food. Too bad :(OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014Buzz for being attractive, might return for a drink. Each dish was flawed: under-dressed under-seasoned salad. Mussels were sand filled, old, rubbery,thin broth that was flavorless dishwater.Bits of vegetables in broth were nearly raw as if they'd been tossed in for garnish, not taste.Fronds of fennel made for awkward eating, though looked pretty. Note to chef: the wide bowl that the mussels are served in doesn't work because they get cold as soon as the dish is served. Also you MUST serve these with spoon for the broth, a seafood fork and an empty dish to collect the shells…and teach the wait staff to replace it when filled. Frites were cold, aioli harsh with raw garlic. Server should remove the steak knife that remained on the table.
- A great French restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014The food was wonderful! Our waitress greeted us with glasses of champagne since it was our anniversary and this was a class act. Bartender was friendly and poured a great cocktail for my wife. The duck confit and mussels were superb! Service could not have been better. Can't wait to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful sophisticated ambiancedinerdeliteVIPDined on 9/17/2014We enjoyed the tomato watermelon salad, followed by lamb, two ways. The ambiance was delightful and we will be back, soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraCDined on 9/17/2014Plum marmalade with the cheese plate; great service; outstanding flounder, pate de campagne and the "ma cherie" cocktail were highlights. The lamb grille was sub par to the ground lamb with harissa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite keeper!KatarinaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We loved Gaspar on our first try. The decor is lush and dark and sumptuous. The tufted leather banquettes are very comfortable and the low ceiling upstairs makes that dining room very intimate. The air of French brasserie definitely rings true. We didn't sit at either bar downstairs or upstairs, but we look forward to the next time we want a classy location for cocktails prior to dinner downtown. All the food that we tried was spot on and delicious and the service was professionally attentive. The only thing that irritated us was our server who kept telling us what all HIS favorites are ... we would have much preferred hearing his 'recommendations'. We will go here again and again and love every moment of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One FaultDean6294VIPDined on 9/12/2014Great food and service, but very noisy. Some sort of buffer between the upstairs bar and dining area would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow srvc but solid food executionEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Thumbs up for no extra gratuity charge for a party of eight. Waitress looked like actress Rose Byrne, and was pleasant with big smile. However, service was slow. Maybe they don't do tons of biz Saturday nights and so didn't staff adequately? Dined upstairs which is quite dim. Definitely not a place to dine for family with young children. Everyone very much enjoyed the duck confit on pork belly. The flounder was skimpy for $30. It came out to $60 per person tho we ordered only one bottle of wine. So not on the cheap side as I left hungry. Given so many dining options, I wouldn't make a repeat visit unless I happened to be in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not encough time..FoodLoverDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I were in the City for the day and had an 8 pm flight from Oakland. We needed to find a restaurant that opened at five and could accommodate our schedule. Oh, and have good food. Gaspar Brassiere met all our needs and then some! We were seated promptly and the service was quick without us feeling really rushed! The food was excellent -- we all had small plates or mussells or oysters. We wished we could linger with coffee, because the setting was so relaxing -- really had a Parisian feel. We will be back. With more time, of course!Special Features:
- ChrisVIPDined on 9/5/2014Mussels small and a big disappointment but all other dishes were very good. Cocktails were great. Vince was amazing - noticed everything and very attentive to customers needs. Upstairs is worth a request. Bar more accessible and atmosphere more intimate. Great setting overlooking hotel lobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Service not there yet.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Service was rushed: ordering and busing - plates getting cleared before diners were finished eating. Definitely not a French trait where a meal is more relaxed. All the entrees did not arrive even close to the same time. Lamb and sausage plate looked appetizing but sausage completely undercooked. We sent it back but the plate did not return to the table until the other diners had finished. Notably good appetizers: chick pea cakes, tomato-watermelon salad with marinated feta. Arugula salad was overdressed.Special Features:
- Great BistroWineguyDined on 9/4/2014Food is Excellent. Service was outstanding. Great place for a real "Bistro" meal.Special Features:
- Great City atmosphere!Dan1964Dined on 9/3/2014The bartenders and wait staff are fantastic! Great food! Spectacular cocktails!!Special Features:
- Great Fidi LunchDoubleODined on 9/3/2014Just love this restaurant such a great spot for lunch with so many grab and go's it so nice to have real restaurant experience. Must try the tomato salad why they last!Special Features:
- fantastic serviceSkippyDined on 9/3/2014asked for a table with a little privacy, and that's what we got! Great service and food.Special Features:
- CharVIPDined on 8/28/2014food was disappointing this time and waiter forgot items, mixed things up. had better experience the 1st time i went
- First time hereTonyDined on 8/28/2014We had lunch here and we selected 4 of the items we could share. Deviled eggs from the bar menu, liver pate also from bar menu, broquettes and the salmon crepe were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.