FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M5TNeighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ago.net/frank
- Phone: 4169796688
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Dueck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
One of the Frank Gehry-designed spaces, FRANK restaurant is conveniently located on the first floor with access from Dundas Street. The restaurant is casual chic: modern Danish furnishings are paired with acrylic tabletops in a multitude of vibrant colours. Etched glass and vertical-grain Douglas fir also accent the space. Jeff Dueck serves as executive chef at FRANK. Dueck’s passion and enthusiasm for all things food and wine mark him as one of the city’s most dedicated and creative chefs. With a dedication to using the best local produce, menus reflect seasonal changes and availability. Ingredients are sourced from the finest suppliers and farms, and are cooked simply to showcase the natural flavours of the food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (96)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (74)great for brunch (49)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (33)notable wine list (22)romantic (21)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Will definitely be coming again. Thouroughly enjoyed presentation, service and fooldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014A fantastic brunch experience. The food and locale were outstanding.Special Features:
- Be Aware !lisyirDined on 10/17/2014Since we were attending an AGO members' preview, Frank's was convenient. As members to the AGO we were excited to attend the Michelangelo preview with our friends and as such this was our treat to them. Dinner went well and the food was fine. However, everything was very disappointing from the moment I paid the bill. The bill had been fudged with an additional $14 (+ change) added to the total (before the tip). When I showed this to our server she mumbled something about the machine being faulty and then required the manager to override the "error". When I asked the manager how this error had happened, he was unable to provide an explanation, leaving me to assume that this had been an act of intention. ... Diners be aware.
- Missing Lobster RollsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We saw Frank's online Maritime special luncheon menu to support the AGO's current Alex Colville exhibit. Unfortunately, that luncheon special had been replaced. Happily, yummy lobster rolls were still available on the entree menu.Special Features:
- "Pasta Disasta"FrankendinnerDined on 10/16/2014We were a party of four, and 4 different choices were made. Our friends seemed to have no complaints, my husband outright praised his meal, which happens rarely with restaurant meals, as he is, what I would describe as, a foodie. My pasta was a total disappointment. It did not look or taste fresh. It looked dull and warmed over and it tasted stuffy. A very unattractive pasta! But, we would still recommend Frank, since it was only one out of 4, that did not work out, and we had absolutely impeccable service with courtesy and a smile. This was not my first time at Frank, and previously my meals were quite satisfying. It is a convenient place to combine a Gallery visit with one's lunchtime needs, especially for out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visitortoTODined on 10/15/2014It's great to have a fine quality dining room associated with the AGO. The lobster roll was delicious and wine prices reasonable for downtown Toronto. Service was friendly and personable. Lots of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SufficientUdrokoosDined on 10/15/2014Food was decently good, it wasn't anything to write home about. The lower level is quite noisy so try to get seated in the upper level, its much quieter. Dinner for two people with apps and wine was $125 + Tip with our members discount. At that price point, the food could have been a little better. Its not that it was bad, it just wasn't something that would make you remember the place for. I would go back but only due to it's convenience of being really the only higher end dining establishment in the area.Special Features:
- Art and fine dining in one packagefoodfaddieDined on 10/15/2014Whenever I go to the gallery I include lunch at this favorite restaurant. The service is always friendly and efficient. I love the ambiance. The food is superbSpecial Features:
- Consistently great....!artEditorDined on 10/14/2014FRANK never disappoints. The menu is always changing, and the quality of the offerings is always excellent — seasonal, with a large nod to local producers. That would be reason enough to enjoy FRANK. But when you factor in a sophisticated space within a superlative art gallery PLUS knowledgeable and welcoming staff, you know you're going to have a memorable dining experience. Warmest thanks to everyone at FRANK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite For Dining when at AGOEatTO2014Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent food and presentation. Good wine list. Ambience is cool and modern. Service is usually very good. Choice of two levels for dining. Back room upper level is not a favourite as no source of natural light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip & HumbleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was very good, waiter was kind and patient, atmosphere was upbeat and yet not pretentious.Special Features:
- A surprising destination restaurantGimaDined on 10/11/2014We were in line waiting for the concierge in our Toronto hotel when the person in front of us, who was very familiar with the city, told us to be sure to see the Art Gallery of Ontario and to eat at the restaurant there, Frank. Both were incredible recommendations. The menu reflected the season - we had a roasted pumpkin and goat cheese salad and salmon with roasted cauliflower polenta, spiced pumpkin purée, maple roasted apples, and crispy kale. Yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiketheMaritimerDined on 10/10/2014Enjoy eating (if not, reading) your exhibition themed menus! Look forward to receiving your lobster/mac/cheese recipe!Special Features:
- reliably excellent, againSinjinsaysDined on 10/9/2014I get to Frank several times a year for lunch with a friend or a client. The service is always excellent and the food is always very good to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious burgerAnnieDined on 10/8/2014And quiet enough to have a conversation - a rare find. Our server was very helpful and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchSwissMissDined on 10/7/2014It was my first visit to the restaurant and I took the Swiss Ambassador and the Swiss Consul. The online booking was easy and efficient, the welcome was very warm and we were seated at a quieter table as requested. The service was great. The waitress understood that we only had one hour and she managed the table very efficiently and friendly. I would high recommend Frank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchfarleyDined on 10/5/2014There were four of us in the birthday brunch party - we were greeted and seated promptly. Our server arrived at our table promptly and was very helpful in answering our queries regarding the menu, wine list, etc. The service was very good and the server was very attentive to our needs. The food was delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- All bases coveredGoRSNLDined on 10/4/2014Our experience was very good overall. Interesting menu, excellent presentation and execution, terrific service in a reasonably quiet atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindastDined on 10/2/2014The service was excellent. Sadly the food was disappointing. Lobster mac and cheese- pasta was very overcooked, the cheese sauce was bland. Corn beef- overcooked, dry, tough meat. Will likely not come back
- Not as good as usual.brandcVIPDined on 10/2/2014Had the pickerel which was cooked nicely. Presentation was two small pieces, the smaller of the two having a few bones. The thinly sliced carrots seemed to be raw or at least undercooked. The lentils and chorizo were a nice accompaniment but overall the dish lacked flavour and cohesion. Steak was not medium-rare as ordered but tasty. Perhaps an off-night due to First Thursday/Nuit Blanche preview tonight. Excellent service provided by Mark.
- One of my all time favesNancyDined on 10/1/2014I've been enjoying Frank since it opened. There's nothing better that going to one of the AGO's excellent art exhibits and topping it off with the wonderful dining experience they offer with excellent ambiance, service, and last but not least, food. My only regret is that I don't live in Toronto so I haven't yet arranged to be there for dinner - but I'm working on it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistent service4dervishesDined on 10/1/2014I always enjoy a lunch at Frank before a major show at the AGO. The special of the day was inventive...the white asparagus is a pesto rich omelette was delicious. Our server was friendly, but had a tendency to disappear....Special Features:
- audaciousBuckWasHereDined on 9/26/2014This "fine dining" used produce that I would never buy at the store. The arugula was as good as from the through-out bin at the grocer's. What an embarrassment as we were entertaining an out of town guest. It was convenient as we were enjoying the AGO that day, but I know now that it is only for drinks and perhaps a coffee and desert. The desert was lovely, and the service was friendly. I would consider returning but only due to Frank's convenience being at the AGO.Special Features:
- Heartily disappointedfoodlvrDined on 9/23/2014I have happily dined at Frank many times and booked it this time for a birthday celebration. I requested a nice table for the occasion and we were seated at the bottom of a set of stairs. The food, highly recommended by the waiter, was on par with diner fare (fried clams and corned beef).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Art of NOISEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014The food was delicious, the service was excellent. The acoustic of the room are still WAY TO NOISY. I recommend you never sit in the upper level near the open kitchen where the noise from the lower level café wafts up from the lower level and fills the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantNotasgoodasexpectedDined on 9/17/2014A great place to take visitors before or after visiting the museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Diners who don't mind loud background noise would enjoy the good food and service at this restaurant. Decaf coffee was very good. Of course it's very convenient for AGO patrons.Special Features:
- DisappointingprofemeritaDined on 9/16/2014Frank has long been one of my favourite places. I've come here with family and friends, and on my own after a solo visit to the gallery. The food used to be exceptional. Then it got simpler but stayed quirky and inventive. The last few times it's been much more ordinary. The menu looks inviting, but the dishes don't live up to their names, or prices. The last two visits were disappointing. I've had much better lobster rolls in the Maritimes, for half the price. The prix fixe menu sounded interesting but tasted ordinary. The wild blueberry salad had so few berries, I could only taste the heavy grains. The "Halifax donair" was a poor imitation of the real thing. The blueberry pie was mostly crust. Dear Frank: this is a wakeup call!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Being frank about "Frank"bentguruDined on 9/12/2014Being a regular diner-out and having lunched alone as well entertained a Good Friend at dinner at Frank I put it in the 5-star section of my downtown Toronto eateries. The beer list needs some extension; however the wine list is quite adequate. The food goes beyond excellent to superb and the service is at an equal level. Enjoy either alone or in company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchBevartDined on 9/11/2014Thursday was a perfect day. We had a wonderful visit to the Colville exhibit which was followed by an equally wonderful lunch at Frank. The food was exceptional as was the service. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his birthday as did I. The Frank has become one of our favourite restaurants and we plan to visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at FrankpercytooDined on 9/10/2014We ordered the fish tacos which were dry and tasteless because they left off the magic sauce - which when it arrived didn't help much.
- 2nd and last time hereDannygirlDined on 9/7/2014They forgot my food. I had to sit for 10 minutes while my friends ate (I refused to let them have their meals get cold waiting for me), then when it finally came it was without the side of bacon I had ordered. He forgot to bring the dessert menu which I had to request after waiting for him to offer it when he took our coffee orders so our coffee was cold by the time we actually got the menus and ordered. The food just as last time was nothing special. They charge fine dining prices but it isn't fine dining. I now view it as strictly a tourist type place, people are going to go there because of the AGO so mediocre should suffice I guess. The one positive is the atmosphere is nice and the hostess was very sweet.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceFoodforLifeDined on 9/7/2014As we entered the restaurant after seeing the Alex Colville exhibit, we were greeted by the hostess who was energetic, friendly and truly hospitable. She recommended a few dishes off the brunch menu as I sat down. The server was just as amiable and helpful with the menu. My boyfriend ordered the benny and I ordered the brisket hash, which was not your typical diner dish. This one was a feast for the eyes and the stomach. The flavours married well and the texture from the crunchy potatoes made this dish unique and extra special. The coffee was a standout too. We will definitely be back when we next visit the AGO.Special Features:
- dinner pre firsr thursday at agoViperman125Dined on 9/4/2014What better a combination than a dinner right in the ago prior to a first Thursday. An added bonus was our seating in a corner seat, and much more romantic seating position.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014We came to the AGO/Frank to celebrate my wife's birthday. We enjoyed the Colville exhibit and our dining experience at Frank. I was particularly impressed by the attentive service and quality of food.Special Features:
- Unfriendly serviceErikaDined on 8/23/2014We always eat at Frank's when we visit the AGO. This time we greeted a waitress standing by the bar when we entered (as she was the only staff person on the floor) and she very rudely nodded towards the hostess desk as if we'd committed some incredible faux pas in greeting her. Later she came to our table as our waitress. She was competent but incredibly cold and unfriendly, which colored our whole lunch experience. I don't know her name but she has short, blond hair. If I ever eat at Frank's again I would likely ask to not be served by her. We had the brunch menu— french toast and eggs Benedict— food was fine but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Fantastic spotAYoungDined on 8/22/2014We always have dinner at FRANK before attending a galley opening. Great experience every visit. The desert menu is out of this world - you just know that every item is well thought of. Also, very consistent and good quality every time.Special Features:
- Dinner at FrankQueenBDined on 8/22/2014Touring the gorgeous architecture of the Art Gallery of Ontario, taking in all the fantastic art, and having dinner or a quick bite at Frank is like a vacation from the everyday. A great experience. Take your time and savour every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice venue, food just okdoctorjVIPDined on 8/22/2014While it is nice to eat at the AGO, for the price I thought the food was just ok.
- Way to go at the AGO!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014A very tasty lunch with friendly, knowledgable and attentive service.Special Features: