Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill
5641 Indian River Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23464Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.foundersinn.com/dining-en.html
- Phone: 7573665777x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Afternoon Tea, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Simpson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: During special holiday events such as Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, the award winning team of chefs at Founders Inn, led by Executive Chef Scott Simpson, create magnificent feasts to include premium dairy products, the freshest seafood, lamb, pork and aged prime rib, locally grown fruits and vegetables and tempting treats for dessert all prepared to perfection.
A word from Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill
Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill presents an American Grill House menu combining the freshest product from Virginia’s best artisans, prepared with traditional cooking techniques featuring the signature Rotisol Rotisserie, Montague Grill and J&R Smoker. Our Award Winning Culinary team expertly creates dishes inspired by the culinary heritage of Virginia and the Eastern Seaboard. Locally sourced ingredients are from the most notable regional farms such as Graham Rollins Crab, Avery Branch Farms Poultry and Certified Virginia Hereford Beef. Specialty dinner items include our signature Cedar Plank Crab Cake, Beef & Bone. The Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill is committed to delivering Sustainable and Organic ingredients whenever possible. Dine by the fireplace or alfresco on the lakeside terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)great for brunch (22)romantic (17)scenic view (16)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (15)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (7)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- great brunchgolferbobDined on 8/31/2014The Sunday brunch has a nice selection of breakfast and lunch options, from the omelets, crab cakes and beef wellington. Make sure to leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Made a brunch reservation because I was staying at the Founders Inn, but it was spectacular. Great food, awesome selection, great service, nice atmosphere. Hard to think of anything negative to say about the brunch!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBadaDined on 8/13/2014This was our second time celebrating our anniversary at Swan Terrace. We didn't tell them it was our anniversary this time, however, somehow they "remembered." We were served a complimentary appetizer. After dinner we enjoyed strolling around the lake and watching the swan and ducks having their dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingGregWatersDined on 8/10/2014Brunch was a highlight of our visit! What a wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectGMacDined on 7/28/2014Love this place, the excellent food, beautiful ambience, and the wonderful service. I go here sometimes 2-3 times a week for various meals for my work and have never been disappointed. It's perfect for any time you want to feel special and taken care of or you want a guest to feel that way too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wierd menu selection & descriptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014bone marrow? A big hunk of bone sitting on my plate was very barbaric. Plus descriptions like Gastrique duck fat fries, Go the Whole Hog-Suckling Pig, and roasted root vegetables? Made me feel like I was back in the biblical times. Maybe that was the point. At times there were too many people coming around and fussing over us which was hard to relax. Then when we did want something, like another drink no one was around or noticed that we needed one. Even when we ordered, the waitress forgot it. the restaurant wasnt busy at all.
- special appetizer was great!LindaDined on 7/5/2014Special appetizer was fabulous !! My friend's pork chop was perfect. My rockfish was a little overcooked but the risotto was to die for. Overall it was a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Evening !!!UniqueDined on 7/3/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Swan Terrace restaurant. From the moment we checked in at the reception desk until we left everything was outstanding. Great greeting excellent waitress the food is tasteful and plenty of it with a choice for everyone. The maître D made everyone feel special, and when we were ready to leave he brought at our table a complimentary desert on a white plate with Happy anniversary written in dark chocolate. A classic act !!! We have been there before, and we will recommend the Swann Terrace to our friends, and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Brunch!southernfoodie81Dined on 6/29/2014Sunday Brunch at the Founders Inn was amazing! Definitely recommend this spot to anyone looking for great mimosas, amazing food and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine42Dined on 6/24/2014Tuesdays on the Terrace are delightful. It is a local treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Birthday DinnerCGirlDined on 6/13/2014I had a wonderful time on my dinner date with my husband for my Birthday. Although I wanted to partake in dining outside, due to the rain, we enjoyed out meal inside. The table by the window was very romantic and quite cozy. Our meal was good, my husband loved the pork appetizer. I had the crab cakes which were pretty good as well. The salmon I had was delicious and even though my husband would have preferred the brisket with an au jois sauce instead of barbecue, he said it was very tender and seasoned well. Our service was a slow but our waiter was friendly. Due to the prices, we will make this a special occasion event. Overall, it was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Will Never Returnfamilyof6Dined on 6/13/2014I called ahead and explained that three memebers of our party where gluten intolerant. I was assured that even though they did not have a gluten free menu the chef would inform us as to what we could eat. When the server finally got back from talking to the chef, it was obvious that they were not familiar with gluten issues, or what gluten actually was. After placing our order it took over an hour before any food made it to our table and nothing on the plates was correct. After waitng an additional 30 minets, I spoke to the manager who assured us that our food was being platted at that time. We agreed to wait until we noticed every place at the server station was going to other tables.
- never disappointsKelleyMDined on 6/8/2014If you're in Hampton Roads and want to have the best brunch in a buffet setting, there is no other place that compares! Make sure you make a reservation because they are always packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedEbenDined on 6/7/2014We were surprised - it got such good reviews... Pleasant meal, but nothing spectacular. No dress code whatsoever, no table cloths.
- wonderfulAmymarievaDined on 5/30/2014Great food, and great service. Wonderful Saturday afternoon tea. Highly recommended to friends and family. The Apple goat cheese crumble is a winner!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not all it could bespinsterkDined on 5/24/2014We may not have seen this place at its best. Saturday of a three day weekend and at 7:30 we were one of five tables in that huge space, and it was already out of one of its twelve entrees. Also out of our requested gin, AND the martini was undrinkable and had to be sent back with specific instructions for how to make a dry martini. The second was perfect. The food was good and well prepared, but for the very high prices charged you should be getting something outstanding. The grounds outside were exquisite, but the interior was hotel typical, down to the plastic placemats instead of table cloths. The wines were very nice and reasonably priced. The salads were excellent. We got the feeling we were not getting the A Team that night.Special Features:
- Good Food, even better serviceDubya5Dined on 5/24/2014The restaurant is a little hard to find because there are no signs outside saying that the restaurant is in a certain door, however once we found it we were seated quickly and told about some of the specials. Then our waitress came over, Kai and she informed us about some more specials and was really cheerful and helpful with the menu. Our food was great, our drinks were very good and when they found out it was our anniversary, even though we were stuffed from the food the chef fixed us a special dessert tray on the house. It was really nice and totally not expected. I wish everywhere we went restaurant or not had staff that was as friendly as the ones we had. Thank you guys so much!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight!DiningWithCJCVIPDined on 5/21/2014Whether enjoying their magnificent brunch, their plentiful lunch buffet, or their superb dinner delicacies, Executive Chef Scott Simpson provides a most enjoyable experience for your palate. My husband and I have come to fully appreciate the fact that we can always count on an excellent meal, and so it has become a favorite for entertaining guests, both from in town or those traveling through. The atmosphere is peaceful and lovely, and the surroundings simply beautiful. There is no other location in Tidewater that can compete with its beauty. It's no wonder The Swan Terrace has such an excellent reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place, great service!loveandlightDined on 5/17/2014Our party of 4 was there visiting Virginia Beach for the weekend. We were seated (with our 7:30 pm dinner reservation) quickly and in a great location. We were promptly introduced to our waitress, Kai. She was very attentive, without being too clingy the whole time. The food was great (Smoked NY Strip--delicious), the wine was great (Seven Daughter's Moscato), the setting was great (saw many couples enjoying dinner and a family with older kids, too) and my overall experience was great! I didn't get a chance to walk the grounds, but from what I saw from my seat at the table it was gorgeous! I'd definitely return in the future. OH! We used our Restaurant.com certificate without hesitation. :-)Special Features:
- outstanding servicemew1222Dined on 5/10/2014Service is top notch. Food is mediocre. My husband and I had the pork chop. It was tender but the meat texture was a little strange. My son had the Ny strip and meat texture was also strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014While a bit pricey, the dishes were put together well and definitely had a unique touch. We had the cauliflower soup, crab cakes, and salmon. All were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thin wallets need not apply...AverageJoeDined on 5/9/2014For the classier type folks who would like to spend lots of money for little food and ambiance. The food was delicious when we actually got it. Went as a group of six and we spent over 2 hours there most of which was waiting on the food. We were seated in the darkest of corners and right next to the kitchen where i overheard the argument between cook staff and host manager about the food mix up. The fact that we were one of 3 groups in there at any given time befuddled me as to why it took so long to get the food. Our server Kai, gets 5 stars as she was great! But the wait for food took away from the overall service. The amount of food you get isnt worth it. Appetizers are less than personal size. Didnt see anything special about it.Special Features:
- Excellent fine dining experienceFoodlover1600Dined on 5/6/2014Me and my wife went to swan terrace as a date night prior to my deployment overseas. The food was excellent, the service was great, the food was excellent, the atmosphere was very good fine dining. Did I mention the food was excellent? It was a bit on the expensive side, but that was to be expected from a 5 star establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Founders Inn Swan Terrace Grill reviews archive.
- A Nice Findmrjak65Dined on 5/3/2014We have wanted to visit Swan Terrace for some time but never have. I decided to take my GF for her birthday and we were very impressed with everything. It started with the friendly and accomodating staff from the hostess to the waiter and managers. The food was excellent and out waiter, Tyler made excellent recommendatons for wine and main entrees and was very knowledgable of the menu. We were greeted at the door like we were long time. After dinner we tok a stroll through the gardens outside and around the lake. It was a very beautiful evening and a romantic setting.Special Features:
- If it is food that CountsEatingOutDined on 4/26/2014The food is fair, nothing special and looks sparse on a large white plate. Surf and Turf which sounded special consisted of two scallops and sliced steak in a gravy with smashed potatoes. S The price of the pre-theatre dinner is good with two courses at $19.00 and three courses at $23.00. The service is special, the ambiance is quite niceSpecial Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Our waiter seemed very inexperienced. He was not picking up on our cues at all. Was disappointing. Food was good, but fell short of what I would expect for the prices. Roasted vegetables were burnt, then underdone at the same time. Lamb chops were average. Garlic - Parmesan mashed potatoes were terrific. Overall, I was disappointed with the dining experience...for the money.
- Great food, wildly untrained staffeobrynbaDined on 4/19/2014It was our first time going here and our last. Our reservation specifically requested a gluten free menu because we read they are available. The hostess acknowledged the special menu request and promptly took us to our table since there was only one other family in the whole place at the time. Instead of a gluten free menu, she gave us the vegan menu and said some of the dishes could be made gluten free but did not say which. Sorry, vegan does not equal gluten free. I asked the waiter for a gluten free menu, his response was the same. We asked to speak with the chef for more info. The chef came out 15 minutes later & was great! The food tasted wonderful except my meal was completely wrong. Waiter just said, "Oh sorry." Fail.
- For CarnivoresMayoplanVIPDined on 4/18/2014The menu is a meat eaters dream. Grilled steaks and port chops in a flavorful American style. The wine list is good, although on the pricey side. The service is spotty, slow and confused. The worst part of the visit was that in such a beautiful environment, I was overdressed with a dress jacket. There were lots of "bums" dining at Swan Terrace. People wearing ugly jeans and sloppy shirts sharing the same room of "fine dining". Management should have more respect for the venueSpecial Features:
- Delicious Buffet VarietyjarofclayDined on 4/17/2014The lunch buffet is delicious. The was a variety of well prepared food and the service was good. The coffee was included in the buffet which was an added plus. I would definitely visit again. The food provided was well worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be BackAFOODIEDined on 4/6/2014Looking for a better place than just the normal Sunday Brunch", that is different, then this is it - it has elegance, great service, good food and is really inexpensive for what is provided. We'll be back. This place made our Sunday escape from the day to day - just wish we had the time and weather to explore the gardens.Special Features:
- Food was mediocre and ournameDined on 4/5/2014Food was mediocre and our server didn't seem too enjoy being there.
- Sunday BrunchTweet7979Dined on 3/23/2014I planned this event for a girls day out and it was fabulous from the time we walked in. This was the first of many girls gatherings for my friends and ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say no to Prime RibLiffDined on 3/20/2014The Prime Rib was left over from the week before and heated up on the grill. It was dry, tasteless and unappetizing.
- Lovely place to dineLissieDined on 3/16/2014The food is always excellent with a good variety of flavors, etc. The service is also excellent. The crab cakes are thoroughly enjoyed by my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014had a family brunch here and everyone loved it. amazing food and service. enjoyed everything about the brunch. would definitely recommend and come back!Special Features:
- Amazing!PDuranVIPDined on 3/9/2014First time visiting the resort and restaurant and I was blown away by the food options and the service. What a great place to go for a regular brunch or when celebrating something to give you that special edge. Love this place and will return every time I am in Virginia Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionpattypinkDined on 3/8/2014Overall the staff was very friendly- the food was very good. My only concern was the shrimp appetizer upon arrival had a very fishy odor. This indicated to me that they were not very fresh.we were celebrating our daughters bday and did not want to ruin the moment by sending food back or complaining. Other than this it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMarissaDined on 3/5/2014Meet with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. The setting was great with exceptional service. My friend just had a birthday, and Emily took that info and surprised us with a nice birthday dessert. Would go back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchKlKooyDined on 2/23/2014Nice brunch spot with a warm, friendly environment... fireplace, mimosas & bloody marys, great selection of items, and everything we tried was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedluv2dineDined on 2/23/2014Food was average and service was slow. I appreciate that the server recognized the service was below par and discounted our bill. It's a toss-up if I would go there again. If I do give it another try it's only because Emily the server was so gracious and accomodating.Special Features: