Fishing With Dynamite
1148 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Fishing With Dynamite
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatfwd.com/
- Phone: (310) 893-6299
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Bar Later
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: David LeFevre
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Fishing With Dynamite
Fishing with Dynamite, an oyster bar and seafood house where East meets West in the South Bay. Chef and co-owner David LeFevre brings an upbeat and lively approach to a tradition...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Fishing With Dynamite - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Fishing With Dynamite reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (70)great for lunch (48)hot spot (44)special occasion (27)scenic view (10)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Went for birthday, good, but not greatOutalotDined on 11/19/2014We really liked FWD the first time we went. We went back for my birthday and started with the pork belly; which was fantastic. I then splurged on the queen mary seafood platter, which says it feeds 3-4, I think it's 1-2 at best and although the quality of the seafood seemed good, the only standout pieces were the lobster and the shrimp, the mussels were teeny tiny, the oysters meh and the crab legs were comically small portioned. For $85, I expected more. The good thing is we ended with the pumpkin pie and it was fantastic! I suggest sticking with the single portion items and skipping the boats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoelDined on 11/14/2014Our servers were attentive and a lot of fun making our dining experience greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calling Oyster Lovers8ThereDined on 11/3/2014If you love oysters, you should try Fishing with Dynamite. Very small, cozy place to have a very nice, casual meal. Clam Chowder is rich and very creamy - one order is enough to share between two people. Staff is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great food when you're not hungry!SerialFoodie99Dined on 11/2/2014Very unique recipes all work well and are nicely presented. Tastes, temperatures, textures were all right-on. But the portions were laughably small, seriously disappointing even factoring in all aspects of the setting. 3 of us shared 5 items, which totalled $94. and we left just as hungry as when we came (1 was soup & another was $9. French fries, a small portion, so how else can you react other than WTF?!!). Lower the prices 20% and increase the portions 30% and you'd have a great little gourmet beach bistro that's tolerably overpriced. No lie, I went directly to 5 guys after for a double-cheese.Special Features:
- Dynamite is DynamiteLisaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Alive and kicking is Fishing With Dynamite. A small, busy and rocking little fish restaurant in the middle of Manhattan Beach - this place has a happening feel and vibe with food to match. Especially liked the service. It is hard to hear who you are with, but who cares when you are there doing oysters and other treats from the rough seas. Have fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East meets West.WeaselEatsDined on 10/23/2014From the very beginning, my experience here was fantastic. Hostess was sweet and accommodating. Felt like I had walked into a Cape Cod locals spot. Fishy smells, but the good kind - steaming clams and lobster. The sweet potato dish which is seasonal was a perfect side. Everything in there is clearly very fresh. Great cocktail selection, but took some time. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- A been dying to eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/21/2014The food was outstanding, very fresh. Hard to pick a favorite, we loved everything we ordered. Started with seafood tower- amazing; for 3 of us we ordered the cod fish & chips, diver scallops, Mediterranean sea bass, lobster dumpling pot pie and black kale with Parmesan . Just the right amount of food for 3 good eaters. All were excellent, flavors were mouthwatering. Dessert we split 2 - salted Carmel chocolate bread pudding and key lime tart , again we loved both! Also kudos, quite a reasonable corkage fee too! We'd clearly order any of these items again on our next visit, and there will be a next one! However, there were so many other things to try it will be hard to choose. The hardest part will be getting in :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SouthBayLadyDined on 10/17/2014Everything was great except for the noise level. Between the music and people talking, it was hard to hear my husband across the small table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- let downAJMOJAVEDined on 10/15/2014I had read great things about FWD, but came away very disappointed. We had always enjoyed dining at MB Post next door, and with it being the same chef I thought we would really enjoy it. The waitress was rude and the food was overly complicated without having the payoff of great taste.
- Awesome dessert!Jen5Dined on 10/13/2014Food was good, not what I had expected. Hamachi was amazing but crab cakes were not the best Ive tasted. Key lime pie dessert was absolutely amazing...presentation and taste were out of this world! Will return and give it another chance...looking forward to having that dessert again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative & friendlyjmopveDined on 10/8/2014FWD is a gem - good, creative cuisine and friendly staff. Eaten there 5 times. Had the key lime tart every time. Perfection and decadent. Hamachi and fish tacos yummmm. Crab cakes amazing. Oysters excellent variety. Love!Special Features:
- Best Seafood in Manhattan BeachTraceDined on 10/8/2014The oyster sampler platter was a fun tour around the world's tastiest oysters, the grilled fish tacos were delicate and delicious but the most memorable part of our lunch was the individual key lime pie. It was big enough for two and so, so light and beautiful to look at and to taste! For more style tips and recipes visit tracestylecreatelive.comSpecial Features:
- AmazingFWD1Dined on 10/7/2014Bar tender is super friendly. Hamachi was the best. Oysters were fresh. Cocktails were right on. Hidden Gem in Manhattan Beach.Special Features:
- Wonderful!jfc11VIPDined on 10/5/2014Fishing with Dynamite is impressive. LeFevre never tends to disappoint me. I love all their restaurants. Fresh seafood is hard to come by, and what they do at FWD is on par.Special Features:
- Dynamite Experiencelove2eatDined on 10/4/2014Since a dinner reservation is hard to come by, my friends and I decided to try this place out for lunch and it didn't disappoint. We spent about two hours chatting, while sampling different cocktails, oysters, tacos and such. Everything we ordered was delicious - we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing Meal at this HotspotMValerie8VIPDined on 10/1/2014If you are going to make a reservation, book in advance! They only have 2 tables that are available for reservations. The other spots are for walk-ins. The place only holds ~30 ppl The menu is small, but they seem to do everything extremely well. Our meal was delicious. The crab cake was fresh, had big chunks of crab and was perched on top of a delicious mustard-based sauce. The fries were yummy and were accompanied by a great vinegar mayo. The pork belly was delicious and was very flavorful. And how can you not order a lobster dumpling pie when you see it on the menu?! It was a great combination of comfort food and seafood. If you're going to get dessert, I would highly recommend the pretzel & chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:
- Casual high-endMootzDined on 9/29/2014FWD is wonderful to have in Downtown Manhattan Beach. Growing up there in the 70's there was El Sombrero, La Villa, Pedone's and the Hibachi, but little else. Now it's a diner's paradise and FWD is at the top. Close quarters, so don't plan on discussing Govenment secrets here with your comrade. Oh, octopus good.Special Features:
- irileyDined on 9/15/2014The service was excellent, and the food was very good, if not completely mind blowing. Certainly it would be hard to find a better raw bar, and the dozen oysters we had to begin the meal were likely the best part. Also notable were a crab cake served on an aioli-like sauce with assorted pickles, and the squash buns that everyone raves about. Everything was prepared masterfully, if not creatively. Good food at reasonable prices. The service was excellent. We arrived an hour and a half before our reservation but were seated immediately at 7:30. The staff was helpful, friendly and attentive without being overbearing, and maneuvered without noticeable effort through the small and packed restaurant. A good night out for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014Gem of a restaurant in a side street in the heart of beautiful Manhattan Beach. Interesting menu, super fun energetic vibe. Softshell crab soup and sauteed Kale - a must! Will go again - not to be missedSpecial Features:
- Very cool and deliciousRicoDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful innovative yummy seafood with some modern and traditional touches. Coming from the DC area--the land of crabcakes--I found the blue crab crabcakes to be the very best West of the Eastern Shore. Worth a return trip just to eat all the other items on the menu We loved the hamachi, the soft shell crab po'boy, and the shrimp tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great raw barHmmmmnVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had fresh uni and oysters at perfect temp. The grilled octopus was melt in your mouth. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemSamolocalVIPDined on 9/11/2014Tiny, noisy space, but charming. Perfect fresh seafood, interesting cocktails and fun crowd. Short but innovative wine list. I prefer going for lunch when the crowd's less crazy. Nice to see the service is professional, friendly and without any 'tude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yum yumeatnbhappyDined on 9/10/2014so happy to see more fantastic restaurants in the south bay. everything was fantastic especially the soft shell crab po'boy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!FoodTourWithIraDined on 9/7/2014food presentation is neat, taste was amazingly delish, service was fantastic! Dominic is the best!, the place is small but cute and it's located at Manhattan beach. What else could you ask for. I will definitely recommend it! Oh! and fishing dynamite, I will see you again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ClamsfeffernewtonDined on 9/5/2014A bit too noisy for these 75 yr. old ears otherwise fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CrazyForACriticDined on 9/3/2014Always so good. The best fish tacos ever. Flavors are subtle but such a WOW. It's a tiny place that can get lively. Overall, it's a place I'd bring friends for an excellent dining experience and it's also the place I could drop in to grab a quick lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, it's dynamite and fishRauleeVIPDined on 9/1/2014This is a very special corner of the world. The freshest and most interesting seafood from all over the world. Delicious and interesting sauces to complement each. And loving servers. The free bubbly water is a nice touch too to remind you of the nearby ocean. There are a couple of seats with a view too. Swim in delicious fish!Special Features:
- Small Space,... Small Plate HeavenTerramarmanDined on 8/31/2014Restaurant is very small, which in my opinion makes for a better, more intimate experience. Perfect service and timing. Our party of 3 ordered several small plates and shared, thus we were able to try many items on the menu. All were excellent. I highly recommend FWD. Creative name, creative space,….creative and amazing food!….and cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveToDineLoveToDineVIPDined on 8/21/2014AMAZING food. Was sorry I couldn't have vino with my business lunch oysters. Requested "3 courses" and received everything at once. Other than that, everything was great!
- Love this placeGreatAnnivVIPDined on 8/18/2014Spent a wonderful anniversary there. We were the 3rd of the night celebrating. It's no wonder. Such a special place with wonderful service and amazing, amazing food. The manager even brought us a dish that was not on the menu. A perfect evening.Special Features:
- Super freshHmmmmnVIPDined on 8/18/2014Amazing seafood. Fresh raw bar. Wonderful preparations. Super friendly service.Special Features:
- Love with FWDMinouyeDined on 8/17/2014I enjoy their dishes a lot. Although some of dishes were overpriced and wasn't tasty as much. But over all experience were just awesome. Little place is always packed and little bit of slow service, so don't try this restaurant if you are in hurry. The claim chowder is one of the best I ever had, their oysters are always fresh. I love Hamachi, however the sauce is too strong that killing Hamachi's taste itself, and there were only 4 pieces .. for $17? I will never try it again.Special Features:
- Attention, Oyster Lovers! Come hereMamaVIPDined on 8/16/2014I don't know how or why the oysters at Fishing With Dynamite are superior to all others. Is it the way they are stored or shucked or selected? No idea. I have had oysters in some of the best seafood restaurants in Southern Calif and these are the best. Also love their crab cakes. Excellent cocktails, too. Perfect for a lazy lunch on a beautiful summer day.
- Fresh inventive seafoodLeGluttonDined on 8/15/2014If you're a seafood lover, this is a great restaurant. Even though they source heir ingredients from all over the world, it all tastes very fresh. They are also very creative with their preparation. For example, their clam chowder is different than anything I've had in New England. It was quite delicious l!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I frequent FWD and LOVE it. Try the raw clams and the chef's moms sqash rolls. You will be happy!Special Features:
- Daycation lunchFromLAtoATLVIPDined on 8/12/2014Fishing With Dynamite was on my daycation to do list. I arrived just as the restaurant opened and was seated at the corner window spot with a good view of the ocean down the street. This is a shoebox of a place and as the lunch crowd arrived I was grateful for the corner location. Everything was delicious -- custom seafood tower of oysters and lobster, grilled white corn, squash rolls, and key lime pie. I wished that I had another stomach to be able to try the crab cake, koshikari rice and more raw bar items. That's on my next daycation to do list. Sydney was a great guide to the menu and also knowledgeable about music festivals. Ask for her table if you go.Special Features:
- Outstanding SeafoodEasyguy711Dined on 8/10/2014The seafood seemed as fresh as it gets and of the highest quality, properly handled, which is in the end, the bottom line. Food was a bit pricey but we received what we paid for. Service was good. We had to wait for our white wine to be chilled. Why? The wine selection very good but in my opinion, about 25% overpriced. Excellent food preparations, all perfectly light and balanced dishes. We don't eat fried foods, but everyone else was, so they're probably pretty good. Looking forward to checking out it's consistency in a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Difficult for large parties for dinner, but easier to accommodate for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nativeDined on 8/6/2014don't want to play no reservations available game plenty of openings was told walking was better my time too valuable to wait or not will discourage friends from going. we don't appreciate the hype.Special Features:
- Fresh raw seafood barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Quality food. Creative scratch cocktails. Nice little spot. Recommend reservations, otherwise be prepared to wait. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.