223 Petronia St
Key West, FL 33040Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflykeywest.com/
- Phone: 3058490104x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Daily: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Michael Price
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Firefly
Modern Southern cuisine in an upscale-casual environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Firefly - Best Restaurants in Key West ›
Firefly reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (10)romantic (8)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good places in Keys - love this oneCLBBVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our favorite of all the restaurants we ate on our visit to Key West. Yum fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful atmosphere but....vegasloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014We thought we would try firefly because of the good reviews on Opentable. Also because santiago's was closed. We were seated on the upstairs balcony which was a nice surprise. They have wonderful seating areas here inside and out. The place is clean. Our waiter seemed out of place and almost like a last minute fill in. I was also dissappiointed by the few menu choices. I can understand this for a new restaurant though but i just couldn't seem to find anything i really wanted. I am not sure about the "southern" food they offer. Not sure it will go over in KW. I hope so as the atmosphere was excellent, but the food was just average.Special Features:
- Pigs earsdinewithmeDined on 8/19/2014Southern fried cooking at its best. It is always quite obvious when the owner/chef really care about their product. My family and I were in Key West on vacation and found this restaurant by mistake. We were glad we did. We sampled our way through the appetizers from pigs ears to green fried tomatoes and never even got to the entrées. Take my advice tried all you'll be happy.Special Features:
- Absolutely CharmingEatUpDined on 8/12/2014We dined 2x during our week in Key West. Once for brunch and once for dinner. We were lucky enough to have the same fantastic server. He was knowledgeable without being pretentious, suggestive without being pushy, and attentive without being invasive. Our meals came to the table hot and well timed. The presentations were clean and graceful. The flavors were well balanced and counterpointed elegantly. While the food was delightful and most certainly worth returning for, the professional yet genuinely friendly service truly made both of our experiences all the more memorable. My only regret is not remembering the name of our server so as to offer him a direct compliment and a huge thanks!!Special Features:
- Great southern food, live musicmarquis790Dined on 8/10/2014Live music at brunch on Sundays, I'm vegetarian and while mostly meat options, staff always work with me to make special great-tasting meal options, great drop biscuits and fried-green tomato sandwichesSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationGreatdiningDined on 8/2/2014Excellent Service. Friendly hostess. Great food! Enjoyed my experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting new placekeywestloverDined on 7/24/2014great ambiance on outside veranda overlooking the up and coming bahama village neighborhood. very expensive entrees, pretty good, not great southern cooking. fascinating place that my under 25 age daughters enjoyed greatly. Jordan our waiter could not have been better. he was charming and attentive without being intrusive. will be interested to hear other reviews. I would like to see this place succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really southernKWNavydocDined on 7/23/2014Touted as a southern eclectic restaurant, the restaurant doesn't rely on southern hospitality nor sweet tea to make its claim. Like any other restaurant in key west you won't get a bad meal. What sets this place out is its adaptation of southern comfort food into nice night out dining. The gumbo, cornbread, fried green tomatoes were really good. The shrimp and grits were perfect except fort the green tomato pie stuck in the middle. And please cut the tails of the shrimp. You never know how clean any tail every really is. Otherwise nice selection of beer and wine to support the nice but limited menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKarenDined on 7/19/2014We had 3 meals here in three days best food in Key West❤️❤️❤️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!gotchDined on 7/18/2014We had heard about Firefly and had a reservation this past Friday night. The food was absolutely fantastic! The tastes were amazing (we had quite a few appetizer type of plates, so we got to try many dishes). The tastes were wonderful and the food was very reasonable. I had the skirt steak as my main course, it was done perfectly (med rare) and the flavors were spectacular. We were wishing we were spending one more night in Key West so we could have dinner there again. I would recommend this restaurant for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just simply awesomeletseatDined on 7/16/2014Found this gem on trip advisor, read the reviews and I must say I was totally impressed. Staff was friendly, attentive, food was just awesome. Fried chicken was outstanding and the gumbo perfect. A must dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real southern with a differenceJoyceDined on 7/9/2014This is definitely Southern fare, but with a delightful twist. The managers are long-standing restaurateurs in Key West, and they have filled a gap with many items you won't find in most Key West restaurants (e.g., grits and pork belly) paired with local delicacies (the freshest shrimp and fish). Knowledgeable wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful dinner!gourmandVIPDined on 7/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Firefly. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered fried green tomatoes, beet salad, and gumbo, all prepared to our liking and nicely presented. The gumbo was especially satisfying, made from a rich, dark roux with ample shrimp. We happened to be there on a Saturday evening when they had a talented musician playing, who we also very much enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in the southLIEUVIPDined on 7/5/2014Food is tasty and well-prepared. Menu is somewhat limited, but is from the southern food tradition, as advertised. As a non-southerner, it becomes a bit of a culinary culture shock to dine here, but that is the deal. All staff are very cordial and easy to talk to. Give it a try. Musician playing softly on the deck is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JpaigeyDined on 6/22/2014This place is really great. The food was amazing and the staff was very attentive!! The sweet tea... Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudiDined on 6/2/2014Great southern cuisine. My husband LOVED the gumbo. Friendly and attentive service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- JackDined on 5/24/2014This was our first visit and we did not leave with a favorable impression. We were seated on the 2nd floor outside balcony which was nice. The fried green tomatoes and kale salad were really tasty. We were warned the gumbo was a little spicy but what we received should not have been served. Presented well but it was so spicy hot we could not eat most of it. Mentioned to server and the only reaction was "I'm sorry". The server was also a little chatty, almost to the point of annoying, but was still attentive to our needs. I'm willing to try this restaurant again but it won't be at the top of the list during our next visit to Key West.Special Features:
- Great Service, craft drinks & foodDurrtinezDined on 5/23/2014A bit late for the res due to parking On Memorial Day wknd but the hostess was very understanding. Sat us on the patio which we'd heard so much abt. Was light & breezy, despite a few tables up there it wasn't noisy at all. They have an appealing craft beer & cocktail selection & you can even get mead! We had the puffins which were actually on the lighter side & just the right amt of food plus the pecans & syrup on them were the perfect touch. The biscuit fried chicken w/ghost pepper cheese was made w/ peppers grown out back & biscuits baked that morning. Oh & Pls try the key lime cake! So good. Our server, Erich, was very friendly, gave us great recommendations on everything, even bars to hit up in the area. We'll be there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We will be going back. A Key West gem!! The food was amazing and the service was great. I found the menu interesting and everything we ordered was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would have been Frank's 97th B-DayFoodieDined on 5/16/2014We had such a wonderful evening! Food, Service and Ambiance was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Firefly reviews archive.
- Great Key West findrdharris33Dined on 4/30/2014This was chosen because of a referral from our scuba captain, he recommended it so we went. We were truly grateful for his recommendation, it was great!! Wonderful ambience, no crowds (but that should change), outdoor dining upstairs, electic neighborhood, but most importantly, great fried chicken and gumbo. Plus our server was very attentive and chatty, but not overly so.Special Features:
- Best in Key WestOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2014We had an outstanding meal, the staff are knowledgeable. The food is very different from other local restaurants, a wonderful changeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a disappointmentBadsVIPDined on 4/22/2014In Bahama Village and a decent spot if upstairs and on the porch. Food was disappointing for a group of Southern Girls who know good southern cooking. Gumbo was cold and had to go back, the taste was just ok but not traditional gumbo. The special which was crawfish and shrimp on grits was inedible. Would not go back. Also a little worrisome that there were only two tables of diners there.
- Now on our list for key west eatingJMcgDined on 4/21/2014Great find. Will visit every time we are in KW. Went for dinner. Ate upstairs - good view to watch street come alive. Shared the pork appetiser, mains of gumbo and pork loin were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elevated southern food.MisobabyDined on 4/17/2014Sleek and modern feel in what has to be a very old house. Food was phenomenal-- try the buffalo pig's ear! Not sure that Key West is foodie enough for this place, but I hope so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A view of PetronianativegirlDined on 4/15/2014We dined on the Firefly upstairs balcony and watched the evening unfold on Petronia Street in the heart of Old Town Key West. Life in the neighbors of Key West is much more interesting that life on Duval Street (and the bar scene). The service was warm and friendly, the food interesting and superb. My husband raved about the Gumbo; my 'bronzed cod' was perfectly cooked and presented. We shared the Banana Cream Pie - a hint of chocolate, a lovely cream filing - not too sweet; and a generous amount of bananas. The vegetarian selections are just as interesting; well thought-out and generous portions. We know we will be frequent diners - next visit will be Brunch!Special Features:
- Great Find!jCityDined on 4/12/2014Found Firefly looking for gastropub-esque like venues off the beaten path in Key West. What a great little restaurant! Located just walking distance from Truman Annex, this placed offers a fresh look at comfort foods, southern comfort foods to be exact. Their fried green tomatoes were a fantastic starter and the gumbo was a very well done. The key lime cake (not pie, mind you) was the perfect finish. The bar offers a good selection of craft beers/wine and the staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. I'll definitely be back on my next trip to the Conch Republic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home made all the waySteakmanVIPDined on 4/8/2014Great flavors prepared from scratch. Creative twist on the comforts of home will want you coming back. We stopped for brunch and had the shrimp n grits and the waffles and chicken. Only regret is we didn't have enough room or another day to for a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usual Key West tourist traprunjenVIPDined on 4/5/2014My boyfriend and I were in town for the weekend and didn't want the usual burger-type food that's on Duval St. This place was wonderful from the moment we walked in! Its casual attire, but the food is upscale and the atmosphere is chic. We ended up sitting at the bar and talking with the various staff members who were all friendly and very enthusiastic about their jobs and the type of food/product they were providing. They are a beer and wine only, but managed to come up with creative combinations that felt like you were drinking a martini. I had the sea bass special which was AMAZING and very flavorful! Dessert was an awesome and creative chocolate chip biscuits with chocolate gravy masterpiece! If you're in the Keys this is a must!Special Features:
- Beyond the norm!scottluvsu2VIPDined on 3/30/2014Firefly offers diversity on a Fresh Fish Island! From South Georgia bbq to New Orleans catfish platters to a Charleston-Savannah shrimp and grits feast....Fire Fly has you covered. Enjoy Southern cooking from grandma's cabin in a Caribbean Island Community with deep historic Spanish roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Key WestAngieDined on 3/26/2014Delicious food, and we tried a lot of it! We couldn't have been more pleased with the food, service, drinks, and location! Really the best food we have found in the Keys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemDisappointedDined on 3/24/2014Great food, unique preparation, fabulous service, a must stop.Special Features:
- Southern Haute CuisinerobertoceansDined on 3/23/2014Only great high quality and upscale southern restaurant in Key West. Great spicy fried-green tomato sandwich. Modern classy take on chicken and waffles. Quiet upstairs seating is best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern cooking done right!BingerbeccaDined on 3/17/2014Delicious! Got the buffalo pigs ears & homemade beef jerky for appetizers - the ears had good flavor & the jerky was interesting - not too salty, great dipping sauce & the Worcestershire salt was a nice touch. Needed cornbread to go with the pig's ears so got the bread basket,. Glad we did! The oversized biscuit was fluffy, hot & pretty darn delicious. The corn bread was more traditional (i.e. not too sweet), nicely browned around the edges. Entree special was cornmeal crusted catfish fillets on top of gumbo z'herbes - fantastic with real depth of flavor. My friend ordered the regular gumbo, seasoned and cooked perfectly. Incredible beer list & nice assortment of wines. Friendly & accommodating staff. I'd recommend Firefly highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2014As a new restaurant and visitors to Key West we found Firefly to be a great place. The fried chicken and gumbo were just what we needed after a busy day! GREAT PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden JewelKeyWastedDined on 3/16/2014This restaurant is tucked into the side streets of Key West and, thankfully, very much off busy Duval Street. Our party of three enjoyed a very good, fresh meal on the outside patio after we requested to be moved because of the much too loud, and inappropriate, music playing from the ceiling speakers inside. Hard rock does not a peaceful brunch make. To their credit, they did offer to turn it down. Our food was fresh, tasty and plentiful. The garlic fries were very good but much too salty to enjoy. Service was friendly but very slow, but this is Key West after all. The servers had to be reminded we needed sugar for the coffee, which was excellent, three times. We will visit again, but with plenty of time to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant a must!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014Outstanding example of southern food gumbo is a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly elegant; great foodJackbDined on 3/13/2014Walking by I thought Firefly qualified as a "hole in the wall". So I was surprised to see that its actually quite an elegant place with an absolutely wonderful 2nd floor eating porch. In addition, our server was exceptionally well-informed, efficient and, to boot, a hoot. Oh, and by the way, the food is tremendous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time, waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014We had a great time, waiter was great, food was awesome. Wee already told friends about our experience.Special Features:
- Must Eat HereMaxermooDined on 3/8/2014Great food, great service and you can get a table...because it is not yet discovered! Walk just beyond Blue Heaven, and you will find this gem.Special Features: